MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

I don't think I have any new adjectives that have not yet been used to describe your work - fantastic, awesome, superlative?

A technical question, how do you prepare your minis prior to painting? Do you strip them (and if so,. how), hit them with a primer, or just start painting over the original paint?

I tried stripping on my first few repaints and discovered that it wasn't really needed. The factory paintjob has proven to be a good base for repainting though I always use a primer (Vallejo's airbrush primer, black, white or grey depending on the requested paintjob) before I do any additional painting. Big shiny canopies (currently only the Firespray) can require some additional preparation. My solution is to gently sand down the black paint covering the window using a fine grit sanding stick normally used for polishing nails.

I don't think I have any new adjectives that have not yet been used to describe your work - fantastic, awesome, superlative?

A technical question, how do you prepare your minis prior to painting? Do you strip them (and if so,. how), hit them with a primer, or just start painting over the original paint?

I tried stripping on my first few repaints and discovered that it wasn't really needed. The factory paintjob has proven to be a good base for repainting though I always use a primer (Vallejo's airbrush primer, black, white or grey depending on the requested paintjob) before I do any additional painting. Big shiny canopies (currently only the Firespray) can require some additional preparation. My solution is to gently sand down the black paint covering the window using a fine grit sanding stick normally used for polishing nails .

YUP... they are great for this stuff.

;)

Excellent, it is good to know what can be achieved without stripping - this will save a fair bit of time. I am also a fan of the vallejo primers, though I am still unsure if they adhere as well as a rattle can primer. Either way, there won't be any heavy dry brushing on the X-wing minis so it should not be an issue.

Thank you both for the replies! I look forward to seeing whatever comes next.

It's been a while since I last posted anything in this thread but it's finally time to reveal my latest project. I call it the K-diver as I was inspired by WW2 era US pacific theatre dive bombers when I painted it.

uc?export=download&id=1wEnL96VSlcDfnTXaQ

uc?export=download&id=1gX6jdnaszmsJspcfo

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Very cool. What was the inspiration for the colour scheme this time?

It's been a while since I last posted anything in this thread but it's finally time to reveal my latest project. I call it the K-diver as I was inspired by WW2 era US pacific theatre dive bombers when I painted it.

K-DiverFin1.jpg

K-DiverFin2.jpg

K-DiverFin3.jpg

K-DiverFin4.jpg

WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA

THAT looks JUST like a WAY better version of my Corsair paintjob for my X-Wing. Did the same plane inspire this?

WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA

THAT looks JUST like a WAY better version of my Corsair paintjob for my X-Wing. Did the same plane inspire this?

As I wrote above, WW2 US dive bombers served as the main inspiration. Basically aircraft like Douglas SBD Dauntless, Curtiss SB2C Helldiver and Grumman TBF Avenger. I also noticed that many US aircraft, particularly pre-war ones, featured yellow so I had to include some of that as well.

No one noticed how natural it looks that the chin turret has been moved to the rear? I saw someone discussing it earlier when the ship was previewed and I kinda had to steal that idea.

Certainly the hanging turret looks much better under central engine exhaust. I wonder why LFL didn't put it there from the beginning.

Wow. Turned an ugly duckling into a swan.

I don't have a good answer to that Azrapse, though Star Wars ships has never been known for their intelligent designs.

Edited by MacrossVF1

I don't have a good answer to that Azrapse, though Star Wars ships has never been known for their intelligent designs.

"Interesting," yes. Intelligent, no.

I really like the latest ship, Macross, though I'm a little surprised you didn't put some squadron markings or airframe numbers on it to complete the effect. The new tail-gunner turret looks fantastic and only adds to my determination to field an ARC-170 using K-Wing stats.

WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA

As I wrote above, WW2 US dive bombers served as the main inspiration. Basically aircraft like Douglas SBD Dauntless, Curtiss SB2C Helldiver and Grumman TBF Avenger. I also noticed that many US aircraft, particularly pre-war ones, featured yellow so I had to include some of that as well.

No one noticed how natural it looks that the chin turret has been moved to the rear? I saw someone discussing it earlier when the ship was previewed and I kinda had to steal that idea.

[FACEPALM]

I don't know why I didn't see it. I play World War II Naval wargames and I've got a whole Essex-class carrier air group in 1/700 scale in the same colour scheme. Hellcats, Corsairs, Avengers and Helldivers. :)

On 2015-09-17 at 5:40 AM, SFC Snuffy said:

I really like the latest ship, Macross, though I'm a little surprised you didn't put some squadron markings or airframe numbers on it to complete the effect. The new tail-gunner turret looks fantastic and only adds to my determination to field an ARC-170 using K-Wing stats.

That's a really good idea, couldn't you have said that earlier. Before I started painting, preferably! :P

Anyway here's my latest repaint, a Kihraxz where I tried to combine two colours that normally don't mesh together. I think I managed a good looking model though I don't expect everyone to like the colour scheme.

uc?export=download&id=1rmR-1LaaFQtOerU6N

uc?export=download&id=1BvFggXiT_pKLxP3wK

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Love it!

You kidding? Orange and grey can look awesome. :D

WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA

Oh I noticed. I just didn't think it was as noteworthy as the paintjob.

WHOOOOOOAAAAAAAAA

And next a K-Wing repaint in a B-25 paint scheme ;)

And next a K-Wing repaint in a B-25 paint scheme ;)

Not for myself no, but if I get a commission then sure! I did actually consider painting it as a B-25, B-17 or B-26 at first but wanted something with a bit more colour (other than green).

Edited by MacrossVF1

Great work as usual, Macross. I don't like the K-Wing design... except yours!

Following the WWII bomber's theme I suggest you a challenge according to your skills: Moomo Williwaw

On 2015-09-22 at 5:23 PM, Nachofante said:

Great work as usual, Macross. I don't like the K-Wing design... except yours!

Following the WWII bomber's theme I suggest you a challenge according to your skills: Moomo Williwaw

*Shudders in horror* No thanks! That's a ship I really don't like.

Anyway, here's my latest model. I call it the 'Draken' which is Swedish for dragon. The reason for this name is that I took inspiration from some older 1950s and 60s era jet aircraft, particularly the Swedish Saab 35 Draken and Saab 32 Lansen (Lance in English). I'm not completely satisfied with the engine colour but other than that it's a decent effort.

uc?export=download&id=1Ce2Ro1vQoj0iM5qwo

uc?export=download&id=1k9Rg_lEs_Q-svuFWd

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Anyway here's my latest repaint, a Kihraxz where I tried to combine two colours that normally don't mesh together. I think I managed a good looking model though I don't expect everyone to like the colour scheme.

SpecialKiFin1.jpg

I'd like to point out that orange and grey are the colors of the prize dice from World's this year.

Jus' sayin' you've got a mission now.

Beautiful work (and yes, your panel lines are that good).

I'd like to point out that orange and grey are the colors of the prize dice from World's this year.

Jus' sayin' you've got a mission now.

Beautiful work (and yes, your panel lines are that good).

Huh, didn't think of that. To be honest though, the grey is actually a very blueish grey (Vallejo Game Colour Sombre Grey/ Old GW Shadow Grey), it's just that the finished result and studio photos looks a lot more like a standard grey.

I see you have been keeping busy with the Re-paints :D

looking as fantastic as ever !

and looking forward to seeing more of what you do.

all the best,

Barry.

This repaint represent something special for me. It's certainly not the first Y-wing I've repainted, more like the seventh in fact, but it is the second Y-wing I paint for my own collection. More importantly it provides a great contrast to my very first repainted X-wing miniature, which also was a Y-wing. It's amazing to be able to see how much I've improved in just one and a half year. The last picture is a comparison between the two. Enjoy!

uc?export=download&id=1Ec-anxGuAUPIq6DO-

uc?export=download&id=1LkiBhoO6oTQUw6SMY

uc?export=download&id=1xl87gQJRagi3oYB0Q

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Amazing work! Very clean paintjob. Specially like the highlights, and those little details :cockpit, battle damages an R2.