MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

The highlights are really well done, as always. I am still envious of how fantastic your canopies look! Can we get a group/fleet shot, or have you sent the others off already?

What's next on the agenda?

I want to see more scratchbuilds .. or paintjobs .. or anything by Macross. I just can't get enough.

EXCELLENT !

Looking as Fantastic as ever !

Also nice to see a Paint thread that is still ACTIVE.

Looking forward to seeing more Builds and re-pants Macross.

there is nothing like the Inspiration of other custom builders and Painters like yourself.

All the best,

Barry.

On 2015-08-07 at 3:27 AM, SFC Snuffy said:

The highlights are really well done, as always. I am still envious of how fantastic your canopies look! Can we get a group/fleet shot, or have you sent the others off already?

What's next on the agenda?

There will be a group photo when I've painted all the ships. Only a few left!

On 2015-08-07 at 4:48 AM, Conandoodle said:

I want to see more scratchbuilds .. or paintjobs .. or anything by Macross. I just can't get enough.

Would you perhaps say you are addicted? I could live with that. :D

Anyway here's the latest repaint. A Starviper that's been inspired by the infamous Death Head Moth

uc?export=download&id=14XuNJvYlzEQMBZ-py

uc?export=download&id=1o1SWmo3_HCAt0aY1P

Acherontia_atropos_MHNT.jpg

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Absolutely stunning work - great job!

You've inspired me to pick up some more Most Wanted kits to repaint :D

Oh, now that's cool! Even better, I think it's a scheme that I could replicate with my own (limited) abilities. Though probably without the fancy color gradation on the upper wings.

Very nice, sir!

On 2015-08-08 at 2:47 AM, SFC Snuffy said:

Oh, now that's cool! Even better, I think it's a scheme that I could replicate with my own (limited) abilities. Though probably without the fancy color gradation on the upper wings.

Very nice, sir!

The 'fancy colour gradation' is neither fancy nor a gradient. I just stippled some colours using an old brush. I did this to achieve a mottled appearance and it's something that anyone can do.

Here's the next Starviper. I call it the Rainbow Starviper. Now this one was a dog a of a female persuasion to get right and not something I want to repeat.

uc?export=download&id=1QkpQu1aID1baPEkiz

uc?export=download&id=1l7hwldBs3p9gaWzRX

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Very nice, sir!

The 'fancy colour gradation' is neither fancy nor a gradient. I just stippled some colours using an old brush. I did this to achieve a mottled appearance and it's something that anyone can do.

Here's the next Starviper. I call it the Rainbow Starviper. Now this one was a dog a of a female persuasion to get right and not something I want to repeat.

RainbowFin1.jpg

RainbowFin2.jpg

RainbowFin3.jpg

RainbowFin4.jpg

Rainbow%20butterfly.gif

You so crazy...

:lol:

Get dat **** ZEBRAH done up Brah!

:D

Well, there's egg on MY face.

The latest StarViper is incredible. I really need to get some more practice with an airbrush.

Macross,

I figured you would help me with a painting problem I have (not for X-wing).

I have a model of a 1:48 P-51 that I have, naturally, painted with silver Testors enamel paints.

When I tried to put a black wash on it, the silver immediately came off and covered my brush and got in the wash.

What am I doing wrong? Do I need to use an acrylic wash on enamel paint?

You can also change the order you lay down paint. Lacquer, enamel then acrylic. The solvent for each successive layer won't attack the previous one. If you're laying down lacquer over bare plastic mist on the coats and build them slowly. Put on too wet the lacquer solvent will craze the plastic. Never a good thing.

A clear gloss over the base coat will protect it from the washes and make it easier to remove in case of mistakes.

I recommend doing a search on YouTube for Mig Jimenez, AK Interactive or Ammo of Mig. Very informative. If you're building scale you've probably heard about those products.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Stoneface

Macross,

You can't see it but you're getting a standing ovation for these. Simply awesome!

They're all great but my two favorites are the Tiger Meet Y-wing and the rainbow Star Viper. Simply gorgeous.

I want to have the sex with that Rainbow Starviper. That's gorgeous!!!

:wub:

On 2015-08-09 at 4:23 PM, CyCo said:

I want to have the sex with that Rainbow Starviper. That's gorgeous!!!

:wub:

I'm fairly certain that your sentence has never ever been spoken before in the history of mankind. Please, if you want to molest butterflies, do it in your own spare time. :P

Here's the last Starviper. Only two ships left before the group photo.

uc?export=download&id=18Pnj6oFD9TCGvE_Cl

uc?export=download&id=1FL9EmaX4A87oj7CfG

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

How do you get your panel lines so clean and consistent?

I paint them? You know, you are certainly not the first who have remarked upon my panel lines. Are they really that good?

I paint them? You know, you are certainly not the first who have remarked upon my panel lines. Are they really that good?

Yeah, they're that good.

Yeah, they're that good.

Yes, yes they are. There's never any bleed-through, the highlighting is always perfect and the panels are clearly delineated without over-saturation.

It's taken a few days but here is one of the last ships, a thunderbird HWK

uc?export=download&id=12NBBcANvHM8aZceJS

uc?export=download&id=1_TbHsmXsgXSQg5QyQ

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Amazing HWK!

Waiting for the group photo...

That HWK looks like it's ready for the illicit Cloaking Device upgrade!

And here's the 17th and final ship. Another HWK, this time inspired by the legendary phoenix. The last picture shows all 17 ships together.

uc?export=download&id=1mL0srPHiuOZ4pJEWB

uc?export=download&id=14t0Pda-kSovSMEl90

uc?export=download&id=1NRucNd26VG3wElJCN

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Simply stunning!

Simply stunning!

Agreed!

Edited by cutp

I don't think I have any new adjectives that have not yet been used to describe your work - fantastic, awesome, superlative?

A technical question, how do you prepare your minis prior to painting? Do you strip them (and if so,. how), hit them with a primer, or just start painting over the original paint?