MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

I was actually just going to post how much seeing the stock model side by side really highlights how much better your work is Macross haha - the edge highlighting on the raised portions is really spectacular, I like your shade of red more and I like the idea of having the cockpit detailing in red instead of grey too. Very much an idea I'm attracted to!

The stock A-wings are indeed quite well painted, especially the Rebel Aces one. Speaking of...

My second A-wing, same idea as the previous one. Basically all I've done is repaint the ship to look close to the stock Rebel Aces paintjob, but to a higher standard. I'm not satisfied with the yellow engine glow however.

uc?export=download&id=1K0uYcX7YFjWyduobE

uc?export=download&id=1hz2xV3P3twqNNTPaS

uc?export=download&id=1wkr-LaDW8Hr6qdFF2

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

I'm not going to lie- while your detailing is excellent, I honestly do think the stock one is better in a few ways. Bit more variety of color.

But, that's no offense to you..! It's hard to compete with the stock A-Wing paintjob, because it is easily their best paintjob.

I see where he's coming from. I think your repaints obviously look better, but so much of your repaints have been so above and beyond the usual that when you see one that is just "an improvement" it is less exciting.

I think what I am trying to say is you usually spoil us with your talent. These A-wings, while an improvement over stock, just don't have the same wow-factor.

That said, obviously you had a reason to do them and they look great. I do think the engines would look better in a higher contrast color, but I do believe that the Yellow is the "normal" A-Wing glow, so I get if you wanted to keep them that way.

Hida77: I think you manage to nail every important point.

Yeah, when I painted these two, I didn't want to do anything spectaular, so they must seem dull in comparison to many of my other repaints. Of course, not every repaint has to be a masterpiece. I sure have spoiled you guys. ;)

Edited by MacrossVF1

Hey Macross,

Great to see you still pushing out fantastic Re-paints.......the Paint Forum my have been taken from us.

but its nice to see a few columns still going in the vastness of this Forum.

I always Enjoy looking at your Beautiful executions.

All the best,

Barry.

Time for an epic scratch build! As I've mentioned above, I was supposed to build an epic sized ship, a Pelta-class frigate, but it proved to difficult. Instead it was decided to switch to another ship of about the same size, known as an Arquitens-class light cruiser . The ship is estimated to be 20 inches long when finished so it's going to be a beast.

uc?export=download&id=1DR_R1G7Z5xtlG3rYW

I decided to start with the underside of the ship. While the top half is angled slightly like Star Destroyers, the belly is fairly flat and proved a great starting point. Several individual plasticard pieces had to be cut and glued together to get this shape. I've had to do several panel lines already, as they would be much harder to do when everything is assembled. To make it easier to build the rest of the ship, and give it some much needed stability I've decided to give the ship a spine of sorts. Below is only the first part, two more will join it later.

uc?export=download&id=1mtWytH3atdH7aaVUA

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Awesome! That's actually something I was thinking about trying to get commissioned eventually haha - hopefully it makes its way into X-Wing and Armada via FFG at some point!

I love the Awings!

Rear spine part finished and mounted in place together with the middle spine.

uc?export=download&id=1YprodXGBs8diySHaO

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Added some additional structure to the ship and started on the side parts.

uc?export=download&id=1XHnrTePnknnd7T68n

uc?export=download&id=1HnHR51SsW9qfhiP4c

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Didn't really have time to post anything yesterday, so here is something to make up for it.

Final part of the spine finished. I also completed the rest of the side parts and I've begun putting them in their proper place along the edge of the hull.

uc?export=download&id=1eu6llv9FgVd9a1kBY

uc?export=download&id=1v_NHLCGveydebjn6p

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

I like this Imperial cruiser! Can't wait to see this finished model.

A good deal of the inner frame has been put into place

uc?export=download&id=1xrr1Tpk0Gl9v1UQRt

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Had no time for an update yesterday. Anyway, some things have happened. :D

uc?export=download&id=1PK_EUqGe8A9l6py9B

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Had no time for an update yesterday. Anyway, some things have happened. :D

ArquitensB14.jpg

ArquitensB15.jpg

WHAT... No Members Build Log over at BBB'S?!

:angry: :huh: :lol:

I'm posting about it right now! :P

I'm posting about it right now! :P

Shut-up Joe!

:lol:

Started working on the engines. The base of each engine is plastic tubing normally used for indoor plumbing though it's not the most ideal stuff to work with. It's softer than plasticard, difficult to sand and scribe and many types of glue just don't want to stick to it. However, it was the only thing I could find that had the necessary diameter.

uc?export=download&id=1IAMN6lmLlvTqxwbHL

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Macross, I don't know what to say. The K Diver instantly reminded me of a PBY Catalina. Your other repaints (shakes head) its all been said before.

Your A-wing repaints I really like. I've been toying with the idea of a natural metal A-wing squad with a O.D. anti-glare panel and different color tail flashes. Like late war P-51s. Seeing yours has given me the kick I needed to get off my duff and do it.

Nicely done! All of them, nicely done.

On 2015-12-21 at 2:07 AM, Stoneface said:

Macross, I don't know what to say. The K Diver instantly reminded me of a PBY Catalina. Your other repaints (shakes head) its all been said before.

Your A-wing repaints I really like. I've been toying with the idea of a natural metal A-wing squad with a O.D. anti-glare panel and different color tail flashes. Like late war P-51s. Seeing yours has given me the kick I needed to get off my duff and do it.

While I didn't think to compare the K-wing to a Catalina, it certainly fits! Uconventional design, large wingspan, gun turrets and blisters, capable of carrying bombs and torpedoes, long operational range. The K-wing should quite frankly be nicknamed the Catalina.

Anyway, the engines are now mostly complete. The middle one do not have as much detail as the other two, since it will mostly be covered with other stuff.

uc?export=download&id=1Yq4UcTwB16dFWr8DO

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

While I didn't think to compare the K-wing to a Catalina, it certainly fits! Uconventional design, large wingspan, gun turrets and blisters, capable of carrying bombs and torpedoes, long operational range. The K-wing should quite frankly be nicknamed the Catalina.

Totally agree. My old man worked on the Catalinas in WWII along with other airframes, and then worked on the Catalinas again after the war when Quantas had a number of them and flew them out of Rose Bay in Sydney.

Totally agree. My old man worked on the Catalinas in WWII along with other airframes, and then worked on the Catalinas again after the war when Quantas had a number of them and flew them out of Rose Bay in Sydney.

They look so ungainly on the ground. Especially the early ones that required the docking cradle so they could be dragged ashore. Airborne, it was an entirely different. In the sky was their home.

While it doesn't look like much, this latest step has been fairly time consuming. A high level of precision is needed for the connecting parts between the engines to fit snugly against each engine. It's almost on the same level as German Engineering . :)

uc?export=download&id=14-NcJ3d06QzYhVFso

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Soo....you'll cheat the emissions test??

:P

Awesome job!

What's the tool you use to engrave lines on the plasticard?