MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

On 2016-01-05 at 0:25 AM, Parravon said:

On 2016-01-03 at 11:17 PM, MacrossVF1 said:

I've entered the filler and sanding stage. Boring, boring, boring! Gotta do it in stages as well, as some parts are easier to sand now, before additional structures are added.

Dude! Phenomenal work as always. I absolutely love the step-by-step progress photos you always do. DON'T STOP!!

But I have one question: Why hasn't FFG given you a model making contract yet?

Man, are they missing an opportunity here, or what?! :)

Of course they are missing out! I mean, who wouldn't want me on their modelling staff? :D

On 2016-01-05 at 0:36 AM, Dwing said:

Looks fantastic, any comparison pics to the Raider?

No comparisons yet, though that will come later. I intend to do a proper comparison with all the epic ships when the Arquitens is finished.

On 2016-01-05 at 1:06 PM, salemmtg said:

Thx Macross for answer , it helps me a lot. You project is great, absolutely great. Maybe someday you make a tutorial this ship?

A tutorial of sorts will be uploaded to my blog in a few weeks time though it will not be an actual tutorial. Instead I'll upload all the pictures already featured here and I'll explain some of my thoughts during the build process.

---

Anyway, I didn't have time to post anything yesterday as I was busy playing X-wing! Gotta prioritise some fun and games from time to time. The ship is nearing completion, and I should probably be finished with it this weekend.

uc?export=download&id=1mFkp_l71o_jhY_G33

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Awesome! Thank you for the link.

I always get nervous going to these links because more often than not they make me unhappy with my own models! LOL

Finished the side structure and started on the bridge.

uc?export=download&id=1bQDStvtqwezi-k9qH

uc?export=download&id=1c1Of78ZNn0G66Z4y8

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Great job on the builds and the repaints!

THanks for creating a thread that is so much fun to look through :)

Not perhaps the most noteworthy of news, but it's a big thing for me. I finally have my own private corner to paint, a little dungeon of colour one could almost say.

Your painting corner looks awesome (but your work is even better), and reminds me of my own little "workbench" back in the day - really a repurposed semi-antique desk with paint pots and all sorts strewn over it :) . Used to paint Microarmor, WW1 airplanes and some WH40K stuff, to sell and to play with. Used to think I wasn't half bad, but I was never anywhere near your level of detail and dedication! Let's see more :) .

Edited by Rickenbacker69

My God, you are a magician of painting!

Continued on the bridge.

uc?export=download&id=1QTMwgkapo98ymAxul

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Looking good.

I've seen a lot of people making pretty cool looking cards for custom xwing models.

You need to connect with someone that can make a card for you so that you can use this awesome model.

Another repaint. This is one is one of my personal ships that I painted for a tournament. I tend to avoid taking factory painted ships to tournaments, partly because I want to show off my painting skills, but also because I tend to place much better when I have painted all the ships in my list.

OrangeBwingFin2.jpg

OrangeBwingFin3.jpg

OrangeBwingFin1.jpg

OrangeBwingFin4.jpg

This is a fantastic paint scheme! Well done, I hope he helped you place better.

How did you reposition the stand?

Is there a tutorial available, or could you share your secrets?

Oh yes, I placed third in a regional tournament last year, so he helped me out a lot.

Now I don't really have a tutorial per se, but I did describe the basics on my blog when I repainted my first B-wing, in fact it was one of the first repaints I did. I hope it helps.

Looking good.

I've seen a lot of people making pretty cool looking cards for custom xwing models.

You need to connect with someone that can make a card for you so that you can use this awesome model.

The build is a commission so it's quite frankly not my problem. :) However it would have to be a rather special piece of card as the ship needs three stands in a triangular formation.

Had quite a lot of time on my hands today so I managed to finish all four turrets. I also added the docking ports.

uc?export=download&id=1_CYKzASo9jEaNq1l5

uc?export=download&id=1R5IZM-y_FM7K3ByQh

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

And here is the last update for the build. I find it highly amusing and fitting that I reach 1000 posts on this forum as of this post.

In any case I first sprayed the ship lightly with some black paint. This makes it easier to spot imperfections and leftover glue and putty residue. After that I reached the greebling stage. Lotsa greebles!

uc?export=download&id=15oTnldqzlQP8PkvND

uc?export=download&id=1u-5uMVZhTOSscxG8u

uc?export=download&id=1ngOxugZHFexFWcKr7

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Fully assembled on stands, and the inevitable comparison with other epic ships. It's a big ship!

uc?export=download&id=10f4gOT45Q8Cn6LwV0

uc?export=download&id=1K9_sdCZn3RyKmTt8k

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

That is an awesome ship! ARghkitten FTW!

Hi Ken.

Fantastic work.

The scratch build is coming along very nicely.

The cruiser looks spot on !

Not long I'm sure before you start the long process of painting the model.

Really looking forward to seeing the finished piece.

I have access to two large workshops.

And lots of Silicone and fibreglass.

If you ever want to make a large mould of it.

It is possible.

" I work in the Film industry making Armour and Props.

So do that sort of thing all the time "

Silicone is very friendly to models when moulding.

Done many of my own.

Could then be slush cast in Resin.

Layers in Fiberglass or even polyurethane spray filled

So there's an option for you if you ever want to consider it.

All the best my friend.

Barry.

No Way! that's so cool! what do you do?

You deserve this GIF twice ;)

159.gif Outstanding work!!!

Dear GOD this model is sexy.

If you do cast it, just make it hollow so I can add fiber optics like I did my Raider. :)

Edited by BenderIsGreat

In its current incarnation it will likely never be cast, though if I ever build another one again we might be talking.

The painting process has begun though I've never painted something this big before. I'm really grateful for my airbrush right now, though I'm afraid I'll run out of paint before I even have the basecoat in place!

Great work, mate! (literally) ;)

As I said: You´re The Plasticard Hero.

Viewing the final size of the ship, I think that is perfect to show your painting abilities with weathering effects and blaster impacts...

It's disgusting how good that looks and it's not even finished yet.

Basically me.... I WANT ONE I WANT ONE I WANT ONE I REALLY REALLY WANT ONE

large.gif

Wow....

Amazing work as always. Incredible!

No Way! that's so cool! what do you do?

Erm

Well I've been making And sculpting armour , few props here and there and sets for film projects for the last 8 years

That's why I disappear from time to time and I don't post any thing for long period's.

I won't go into long details.

But here is my website, listed a few films on there over the years.

http://barryharker.co.uk/

I offerd my services to ken as I think his work is fantastic.

And other people could benefit from his talent.

I'm due to disappear again in the next week on another big

Project

But will try and keep in touch on the forum.

Take care and all the best

Barry

Oh Ken,

Keep up the great work.

It is a real pleasure looking in on your work.

You are defiantly industry standard.

All the best

Barry.

Oh yes, I placed third in a regional tournament last year, so he helped me out a lot.

Now I don't really have a tutorial per se, but I did describe the basics on my blog when I repainted my first B-wing, in fact it was one of the first repaints I did. I hope it helps.

Looking good.

The build is a commission so it's quite frankly not my problem. :) However it would have to be a rather special piece of card as the ship needs three stands in a triangular formation.

Someone commissioned this? Dare I ask the ticket price? You can PM me if you don't want to say on open forum.