MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

On 2015-12-23 at 11:15 AM, CyCo said:

Soo....you'll cheat the emissions test??

:P

Of course! I mean, I have no idea what you are talking about. :D

On 2015-12-23 at 2:06 PM, Francesco Lamas said:

Awesome job!

What's the tool you use to engrave lines on the plasticard?

I use a Tamiya Plastic Scriber II , however while it is an excellent tool, I can't recommend it. It comes with a total of three blades and that's really it as Tamiya do not seem to sell replacement blades. I've found a mention that a company called Olfa supposedly makes the blades and/or makes similar blades though I haven't checked it out yet.

Anyway, not much time to work today due to the holidays. Blasted Christmas getting in the way of my building time!

uc?export=download&id=1Jf-JIQvHWr-GiR6Kw

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Added some much need inner structure to the rear of the ship.

uc?export=download&id=1TXbHmyWjM8ryHjbji

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

First layer glued into place. Angled pieces like this are always difficult to get right, which was made even more difficult due to the left and right side not completely matching each other. Half a millimetre off at the beginning of the build can easily multiply and become a one or two millimetres off towards the end.

uc?export=download&id=1wBCOUq79uiuV1jgwd

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Hey Macross that's coming along very well.

Look's superb

By the way.

What is your name.

Calling you macros seems odd......unless of

Course you prefer it that way

Looking forward to seeing how your model turns out

All the best.

Barry.

By the way.

What is your name.

I dare say that MacrossVF1 is a Macross/Robotech fan . I could be wrong, but some how I doubt it. And it would be my guess he's primarily a Macross fan.

By the way.

What is your name.

I dare say that MacrossVF1 is a Macross/Robotech fan . I could be wrong, but some how I doubt it. And it would be my guess he's primarily a Macross fan.

Oh yes, I'm very much a fan of Macross AND Robotech. Robotech and Transformers formed a very important part of my childhood during the 80s and they are the reason why I will always claim that everything is better with robots. :D

As for the nickname itself, I started using it during the mid 90s when I took my first steps in the fledgling Internet and I've kept it ever since. My real name is Kenneth so if you wish to refer to me by that, feel free.

More layers added.

uc?export=download&id=1KU-nv23VxWfujwDzY

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Yes I did assume you were a Macros fan......VF1 gives it away.

It is a fantastic part of the Anime Genre.

Macros is one of my Favourite Anime's

Classic

Nice to meet you Ken.

All the best

Barry.

Love the pictures but I was sort of hoping for a thread where someone converted some actual Macross models for X-Wing. :o

Macross, talk to your dentist about getting a couple of the tooth scrapers they use for plaque removal. I think they pitch them when they dull. The scraper can be stoned to provide a nice edge for scribing plastic. There's also a company called Micro Mark that sells a double ended scriber for plastic. I haven't used one of theirs so I can't make a recommendation on it but everything else I've purchased from them has met or exceeded my expectations.

Macross, talk to your dentist about getting a couple of the tooth scrapers they use for plaque removal. I think they pitch them when they dull. The scraper can be stoned to provide a nice edge for scribing plastic. There's also a company called Micro Mark that sells a double ended scriber for plastic. I haven't used one of theirs so I can't make a recommendation on it but everything else I've purchased from them has met or exceeded my expectations.

Your post reminded me of a story I read a couple years ago about a dentist in Hawaii who was a lad in WWII. So began his love affair with aircraft. So he began by building kits. Much later in life, he made a kit in aluminium. Then sometime after that, he started to build 1/16 scale replicas of several of the warbirds from WWII, as accurate as possible. With working landing gear and controls/flight surfaces. In aluminium. Using a Dremmel. He went through a couple, by which time Dremmel heard about what he was doing, and sent him a replacement Dremmel.

How accurate? Take off the manifold of the engine, and you'll see the exhaust ports, complete with their own brass gaskets...!!

Link here

Sorry for the sidetrack, we now resume our typical broadcast.

8]

Your post reminded me of a story I read a couple years ago about a dentist in Hawaii who was a lad in WWII. So began his love affair with aircraft. So he began by building kits. Much later in life, he made a kit in aluminium. Then sometime after that, he started to build 1/16 scale replicas of several of the warbirds from WWII, as accurate as possible. With working landing gear and controls/flight surfaces. In aluminium. Using a Dremmel. He went through a couple, by which time Dremmel heard about what he was doing, and sent him a replacement Dremmel.

How accurate? Take off the manifold of the engine, and you'll see the exhaust ports, complete with their own brass gaskets...!!

Link here

8]

Edit. Link now working. I was wrong, name is Park not Lee. Also corrected spelling.

Edited by Stoneface
On 2015-12-28 at 2:47 AM, Kubernes said:

Love the pictures but I was sort of hoping for a thread where someone converted some actual Macross models for X-Wing. :o

That's a good idea! Who knows, maybe in the future?

On 2015-12-28 at 3:05 AM, Stoneface said:

I think I've found the needed replacement blades, but the tooth scrapers are certainly something to check out. I'm all for using items and tools way outside of their intended purpose!

On 2015-12-28 at 3:09 PM, Stoneface said:

On 2015-12-28 at 1:16 PM, CyCo said:

On 2015-12-28 at 3:05 AM, Stoneface said:

Link here

8]

His work has been showcased in the IPMS Journal and Fine Scale Modeler. I think his name is Henry Lee but I maybe wrong. His work is nothing short of amazing.

Edit. Link now working. I was wrong, name is Park not Lee. Also corrected spelling.

I think I've seen that guys' work before but I'm not certain. Anyway, his models are damnably impressive. For some reason it reminds me of a very impressive RC aircraft I once saw, a scale model of a Ju-87 Stuka with exquisite detailing which had taken years to build. Of course, the owner/builder managed to crash it on the first flight!

Framework for the third layer added.

uc?export=download&id=1rffFUVhs0ZM75tamI

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Third layer added.

uc?export=download&id=1d-1GawGeW2NUxGM5r

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Middle finally added and a shot of the entire build so far (engines not yet glued into place).

uc?export=download&id=1j0Mv5Xf1DAJQgycUO

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Belated happy new year!

Anyway, finally started on the 'belly' of the ship.

uc?export=download&id=1vr6f0ItxWX5k2uRXW

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

More panels added to the belly.

uc?export=download&id=16jmg6u82fcBTnMdOI

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Hi Macross. I have a little question about your project. How diameter plastic tube do you use for engine. How long, wide and high your ship have. I make similiar ship on the basis of your photos. Sorry for my language, I'm Polish guy. I hope that you understand me.

I've entered the filler and sanding stage. Boring, boring, boring! Gotta do it in stages as well, as some parts are easier to sand now, before additional structures are added.

uc?export=download&id=1uPTsPzh1vIL4l2ySW

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates
On 2016-01-03 at 11:16 AM, salemmtg said:

Hi Macross. I have a little question about your project. How diameter plastic tube do you use for engine. How long, wide and high your ship have. I make similiar ship on the basis of your photos. Sorry for my language, I'm Polish guy. I hope that you understand me.

The plastic tubes for engines has a 40mm diameter. The only plastic tubing I found with that diameter was a type of tubing normally used for indoor plumbing. However I can't recommend it, the plastic in those tubes resist manipulation, like cutting and scribing, making it difficult and time consuming to create anything. Even worse, plastic glue doesn't work at all, and super glue doesn't work properly either.

I estimated the ship to be about 235 meters long with the help of a picture showing a Lambda docked between the forward prongs. At a scale of 1/470, the ship is about 50cm long, 20cm wide and 10cm high.

Anyway, I've added the structures surrounding the docking ports.

uc?export=download&id=1nGyMT-_rVf6rz2e3Y

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

I've entered the filler and sanding stage. Boring, boring, boring! Gotta do it in stages as well, as some parts are easier to sand now, before additional structures are added.

Dude! Phenomenal work as always. I absolutely love the step-by-step progress photos you always do. DON'T STOP!!

But I have one question: Why hasn't FFG given you a model making contract yet?

Man, are they missing an opportunity here, or what?! :)

Looks fantastic, any comparison pics to the Raider?

Looking awesome MacrossVF1! Can't wait to see the finished ship!

awesome work!!!!

(great topic)

[bump]

Thx Macross for answer , it helps me a lot. You project is great, absolutely great. Maybe someday you make a tutorial this ship?