MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Love your work as always! Taking inspiration from vintage aircraft is really clever too - I'd love to commission something like that eventually!

Love your work as always! Taking inspiration from vintage aircraft is really clever too - I'd love to commission something like that eventually!

As an aircraft aficionado (read: big freaking nerd), I find it very satisfying to first find inspiration from real life aircraft and then make it a reality. Unfortunately, a lot of aircraft, especially WW2 planes, suffer from an overload of olive drab and/or camouflage patterns which often do not look terribly good on X-wing models. Not to mention more modern fighters which are a boring grey.

Latest repaints, a Nashtah Pup and N'dru's Zed.

*Edit 071015* I almost forgot to paint the 'teeth' markings that truly set the Pup apart from other Zeds. D'oh! Well, I've fixed that now and uploaded new pictures.

uc?export=download&id=1KYm3KyRtCLVxiJxRU

uc?export=download&id=1GnS2as_QVlZOg5Gp0

uc?export=download&id=1NT01a8PD-ORu-klAP

uc?export=download&id=1TveSd_h7x0r7jK5Xj

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

That's dead sexy.

A YV-666 I call the 'Dune Rider'. It's based on the same colours as sand crawlers as just about everyone I meet (who haven't seen the YV-666 previously) keep calling the ship a sand crawler. Originally it was also supposed to have a bunch of Star Wars inspired graffiti on it but the transparent decal paper I use didn't agree with the dark background. Only one decal survived, as can be seen in the last picture. I do believe I will paint a Z-95 in the same colours as this ship, so I have a 'Nashtah pup' equivalent.

uc?export=download&id=1U7mZZmozSvB0ZqfHR

uc?export=download&id=1EL8BDQxKiS5XW_QHZ

uc?export=download&id=1WeDqngtQLIQERgYgK

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

One of the best YV I've ever seen. Well done, MacrossVF1!

I like your colour choice for this one.

Amazing work with the graffiti too. Star Wars-Banksy style. :D Certainly, dark backgroud doesn't helps, but the detail level is amazing.

Maybe, at this scale, a simpler design could work better, in clear colours...

DT0010_e323f514-7faf-42cb-8fb5-1f0d0fe1a

Anyway, congratulations: a ship with a lot of personality.

Waiting for a decal tutorial. ;)

That is a really nice shade of brown. I always have trouble painting good looking brown, any tips/paint recommendations?

One of the best YV I've ever seen. Well done, MacrossVF1!

I like your colour choice for this one.

Amazing work with the graffiti too. Star Wars-Banksy style. :D Certainly, dark backgroud doesn't helps, but the detail level is amazing.

Maybe, at this scale, a simpler design could work better, in clear colours...

DT0010_e323f514-7faf-42cb-8fb5-1f0d0fe1a

Anyway, congratulations: a ship with a lot of personality.

Waiting for a decal tutorial. ;)

Thanks mate! And that picture is going into my archive of Star Wars stuff that may or may not become a decal in the future. :D BTW, by tutorial do you perhaps mean something like this?

That is a really nice shade of brown. I always have trouble painting good looking brown, any tips/paint recommendations?

I always say that a painter can never have too many shades of brown. Brown is one of the most diverse colours in existence, probably due to the fact that it isn't truly a colour, but rather combinations of other colours. There are red, green, yellow, bright, dark, blue and grey browns, in fact I think the only major exception is purple. As for painting brown, especially highlighting, you need to find complementing brown colours, as mixing in white often looks wrong. One of my favourite combos is VMC Chocolate Brown as a base and using VGC Earth and VGC Khaki as highlights. I'm going to post a paint guide for this ship on my blog in a few days, hopefully it will prove helpful to you.

Holy **** I just love the Nashtah Pup and N'dru's!

NdruCom1Fin4.jpg

A thought popped into my head, but I don't have the skill or experience to tell if it's worthwhile or not.

I was thinking that maybe the high contrast between your body section colors and the almost-white body panel highlights makes the high-gloss cockpit seem less glossy by comparison (the white highlights make it seem like the entire ship is covered with specular highlights, implying gloss).

I'd be really interested to see one of your ships with the highlights toned down 50% (but of course it's easy for me to say that, since I'm not the one having to do any work).

Great stuff, as always!

A thought popped into my head, but I don't have the skill or experience to tell if it's worthwhile or not.

I was thinking that maybe the high contrast between your body section colors and the almost-white body panel highlights makes the high-gloss cockpit seem less glossy by comparison (the white highlights make it seem like the entire ship is covered with specular highlights, implying gloss).

I'd be really interested to see one of your ships with the highlights toned down 50% (but of course it's easy for me to say that, since I'm not the one having to do any work).

Great stuff, as always!

You are quite right in your observation. The highlights can most certainly make the gloss cockpit windows seem less glossy. If you compare to the Nashtah pup posted at the same time you can see a difference as I didn't highlight that ship to the same extent.

Loving those repaints as always, MVF1.

How many Z95's would you say you've repainted now? It is truly the hobbyist's ship!

Loving those repaints as always, MVF1.

How many Z95's would you say you've repainted now? It is truly the hobbyist's ship!

I think it's ten Zeds that I've repainted. Scum in general is the most fun to paint.

First of two brobots. This one is obviously detailed using red though the second one will use blue. However that will probably some time in the future as I'm currently repainting some other ships. Of note is the red glow to the rear of the ship which I'm not satisfied with.

*Edit 28/10 - 2015* I feel it was probably a bad idea to use a black background together with a mostly black ship so I've retaken the pictures using a blue background instead.

uc?export=download&id=1sD5aTmboquA9B8U8J

uc?export=download&id=1b2JvnTbAsrYbAtw_E

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

I like the glow just fine, taken by itself. What jumped out at me in my first glance at the photo is that the engine glow is almost the same color as the highlight on the canopy/windows. I think if you darkened the highlight a bit, the glow would work better... but who am I to say?

EDIT: Spelling fix

Edited by SFC Snuffy

I like the glow just fine, taken by itself. What jumped out at me in my first glance at the photo is that the engine glow is almost the same color as the highlight on the canopy/windows. I think if you darkened the highlight a bit, the glow would work better... but who am I to say?

EDIT: Spelling fix

I also think that's the problem. However, it's such a **** chore to go back and do something about it now so I'll probably just leave it as is.

And here's the second Brobot, the blue bro!

uc?export=download&id=1k3G-BIN7t8j8osCmm

uc?export=download&id=1pB8s0Pc2B0aArYVEL

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Nice gallery! You have some inspiring work there!

I love your Kath Scarlet repaint. Any chance for a tutorial or list of paints so I can attempt to replicate it for myself? And by "myself" I mean have the wife do it.

I love your Kath Scarlet repaint. Any chance for a tutorial or list of paints so I can attempt to replicate it for myself? And by "myself" I mean have the wife do it.

Thanks, though which Kath Scarlet are you referring to? To date, I've repainted four Firespray models to represent her ship and in three different versions as well.

Mk3

Mk2

Mk1

I do have a tutorial for the first version, though it's a bit out of date compared to my current painting methods.

Thanks, though which Kath Scarlet are you referring to? To date, I've repainted four Firespray models to represent her ship and in three different versions as well.

Mk3

Mk2

Mk1

I do have a tutorial for the first version, though it's a bit out of date compared to my current painting methods.

My favorite is probably the Mk2, as it most closely resembles the official FFG art, though the weathering on the Mk3 is really nice. I'll have her take a look at your Mk1 tutorial and see if it makes sense to her. She's a fairly new painter, and has never done any vehicles before, but her work on her fantasy figures is quite good I think.

Woah....

It sure has been a while since I last posted anything. I was supposed to scratch build an epic sized ship but parts of it proved too difficult to build so the entire project had to be put on hold.

Anyway I painted this before the scratch build project. I've always liked the A-wing for its swept, arrow-shaped profile and I've also always liked its 'default' paint scheme. As such I didn't really do anything special for this repaint, I mostly imitated the original model. The last picture includes a factory painted A-wing for comparison.

uc?export=download&id=1llD6ZM8W7YCcMCMOt

uc?export=download&id=1LEioZEVNc1imrJ77o

uc?export=download&id=1tDEH0R9ZA5B9WiD8j

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

I'm not going to lie- while your detailing is excellent, I honestly do think the stock one is better in a few ways. Bit more variety of color.

But, that's no offense to you..! It's hard to compete with the stock A-Wing paintjob, because it is easily their best paintjob.

Well I know which one I prefer! But I agree, the stock A is a lovely vanilla ship in its own right, either variety!