MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

And here's the promised follow up to yesterdays Asajj Ventress inspired underlings. The queen herself finally makes an appearance in this final episode, ready to direct her hired muscle to do her morally dubious bidding.

q7Q5iGu.jpg

GfsqkRz.jpg

hRaoTKr.jpg

OrDmc3q.jpg

p02ZcL1.jpg

amazingly smooth and clean as always. loveit.

On 9/29/2020 at 2:08 AM, MacrossVF1 said:

Here's the Swordfish II from the 1998 anime Cowboy Bepop in glorious 1/270 X-wing scale. So what do you think, would Spike Spiegel have been able to compete in the Star Wars universe?

AN3OOfy.jpg

iucTWLE.jpg

eWg1VyR.jpg

Looks like it was meant to be in Star Wars in the first place. Fits right in. 👍

The Scyk doesn't get enough love in my opinion. It might not be the biggest nor the greatest, but I really like the design. So here's Laetin A'shera if his ship had been painted to match the Razor Crest.

IV0LSkQ.jpg

dwGruWn.jpg

62WQUxx.jpg

Another Razor Crest inspired ship, this time the Star Viper pilot Thweek. This ship and the Scyk from last week can basically be considered wingmen to the Razor Crest I painted earlier this year.

Z9J1m3x.jpg

UqWbUtE.jpg

ZxAfYLh.jpg

dude.

i think i just jizzed a little.

On 10/30/2020 at 1:03 AM, Ghosthacked said:

dude.

i think i just jizzed a little.

That's definitely too much information. :P

Here's my take on Graz the Hunter. The ship has been painted in pretty much the same way as how I paint N'dru Suhlak so they could probably be considered long lost twins or something. :)

otMaead.jpg

v48HI01.jpg

WIT135r.jpg

Subtlety FTW

Been a while since I last scratch built something but it's finally happening again.

Now this isn't quite X-wing or Armada related though it could possibly be used as a proxy of some kind in both game systems. It's going to be a YU-410 freighter but the approximate scale is 1/1100.

Anyway, it's not much to look at yet, though that will soon change.

OfWUalx.jpg

YObukwk.jpg

Classic WEG design! Can't wait to see it.

Something that might not be immediately apparent is that most parts will be built as sub units and will not be permanently attached to each other until the very end.

Building something this small does come with a unique set of challenges. First and foremost, the precision necessary is much higher than normal. 0.5 mm might not be noticeable on something that's 20 cm long but on this scale it could very well mean something ends up all crooked.

e7XATnh.jpg

BRjXbWE.jpg

A ship is starting to appear

Xq60tT4.jpg

Z2mMnOz.jpg

Details and greebling added.

1TjVWPa.jpg

ONcSpB6.jpg

And done! By far the smallest scratch build I have ever done. I've done several conversions on other small items, some of them rather substantial, but never a full scratch build.

7AM4djs.jpg

bg3Lb10.jpg

Edited by MacrossVF1

That is some beautiful work, and really cool to see wip photos along the whole process. All carved straight out of plastic stock?

And in terms of it being a freighter, a much more reasonable shape than many in the SW universe, ha ha. So, when ya gonna do one in 1/270?

21 hours ago, Kleeg005 said:

That is some beautiful work, and really cool to see wip photos along the whole process. All carved straight out of plastic stock?

And in terms of it being a freighter, a much more reasonable shape than many in the SW universe, ha ha. So, when ya gonna do one in 1/270?

Very little carving involved actually. I tend to avoid that kind of stuff if I can because I find it difficult. Instead most of the parts are hollow and are sometimes held up by an inner frame. As for a 1/270 version, well that depends on if anyone requests it.

Anyway, the ship is painted! As you can see in the last picture, it's really tiny! It is intended to represent the personal ship of group of players in a Star Wars roleplaying game and with a one inch square grid system. To that end I had to make a custom base for the ship as well, which can be seen in the comparison picture with the X-wing.

eFwv3HA.jpg

JcI3tJS.jpg

BUuBQlU.jpg

mGTURxz.jpg

I have previously painted Captain Nym and his Scurrgh in his pirate colours. Now it's time for Rebel Nym to shine! Or perhaps it's the darker and grittier reboot? You decide.

sAB43ju.jpg

jbN73UH.jpg

BFjmPP0.jpg

Which color of gray and red have you used on Nym? Did they go on stock paint or on a primer/base coat?

On 12/4/2020 at 4:32 PM, Frimmel said:

Which color of gray and red have you used on Nym? Did they go on stock paint or on a primer/base coat?

I always apply a primer first on top of the stock paint. Usually the primer I use is black but not always, it depends on what I'm trying to achieve. For instance a bright red or yellow usually looks better when applied on a white back ground. In this case though I did use my usual black. The grey colour then served as the base coat.

I thought I had written down the colour recipes I used on this ship but apparently I did not. However I can still make some fairly educated guesses.

The red should be Vallejo Game Colour (VGC) Scarlet Red while the grey should be VGC Cold Grey and VGC Sombre/Shadow Grey. I think the ratio is 1:1 but I can't say for certain.

Here's the Moldy Crow in the new 2.0 colours. At least if the card art is any indication. It looks much better than the original brown paint job.

LabUqB9.jpg

Q0Fv235.jpg

bW9NfYi.jpg

On 11/7/2020 at 4:29 PM, MacrossVF1 said:

Here's my take on Graz the Hunter. The ship has been painted in pretty much the same way as how I paint N'dru Suhlak so they could probably be considered long lost twins or something. :)

otMaead.jpg

Your work sir, as always, is amazing. Sometimes one simply stands out to me, from the crowd, and I cannot explain why through the fog of subjectiveness. .. but this is is such a clean and brilliant paintjob for this chassis. Props mate, props!!

On 12/13/2020 at 5:14 PM, MacrossVF1 said:

Here's the Moldy Crow in the new 2.0 colours. At least if the card art is any indication. It looks much better than the original brown paint job.

LabUqB9.jpg

Loved this!

6 hours ago, clanofwolves said:

Your work sir, as always, is amazing. Sometimes one simply stands out to me, from the crowd, and I cannot explain why through the fog of subjectiveness. .. but this is is such a clean and brilliant paintjob for this chassis. Props mate, props!!

Agree. I think it's the understated simplicity. Stealthy black fighter with a few highlights. Nothing fancy, just effective.

On 12/16/2020 at 3:27 PM, clanofwolves said:

19 hours ago, ObiWonka said:

Agree. I think it's the understated simplicity. Stealthy black fighter with a few highlights. Nothing fancy, just effective.

I honestly didn't think of it in those terms but I do believe you guys are correct. Thanks mates!