MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

On 7/5/2020 at 1:56 PM, MacrossVF1 said:

Been a while since I posted anything X-wing related as my latest project involved Legion models.

Anyway, have a Razor Crest as an apology. :)

XmUYM6K.jpg

GxJGjDd.jpg

tSjJdeS.jpg

You are definitely a 3D artist of he highest order... well done sir, well done.

Love your work, and that Razor Crest looks fantastic :wub:

On 7/8/2020 at 10:33 PM, clanofwolves said:

You are definitely a 3D artist of he highest order... well done sir, well done.

Sorry to disappoint but as I stated earlier, this is not my creation, I have only painted it.

On 7/10/2020 at 4:12 PM, MacrossVF1 said:

Sorry to disappoint but as I stated earlier, this is not my creation, I have only painted it.

Well, the 3D part is great, but not the real artistry as it is done by a computer, not by hand. Your art is what one sees and gives the reality of the item.

Did you know that Hera Syndulla of Rebels fame pilots an X-wing at one point in the show? I didn't until very recently though to be honest I haven't watched the show either. I already knew about the A-wing and B-wing as I've already painted examples of both but apparently she pilots the Y-wing as well.

eMzeawi.jpg

McXgTke.jpg

ZSMrMUf.jpg

A nice little Jumpmaster for you guys to enjoy. Though I do so dislike the odd engine array that the Jumpmaster sports as it is bloody difficult to paint properly.

r1Rfn6h.jpg

AY70uPD.jpg

9oJKM79.jpg

I'm getting some serious Necron vibes there! 😂

Here's a pilot that doesn't get a lot of repaints, at least I haven't found more than a few. Anyway, Lt Blount for your viewing pleasure.

9BEIr0t.jpg

sYmhWjU.jpg

h1KWPKu.jpg

These might not look so fancy but there's a surprising amount research that has gone into them. Basically I was asked to paint two Lambda shuttles in the same colours as the Decimator. While it's near impossible to 100% match another colour without having the recipe, I have none the less become fairly good at colour matching over the years.

The main grey is a 1:1 mix of Vallejo Game Colour (VGC) Cold Grey and VGC Stonewall Grey, while the dark grey used for some details is 1:2:6 mix of VGC Charred Brown, VGC Cold Grey and Vallejo Model Colour (VMC) German Grey. The tiny blue lights or whatever they are supposed to represent is mainly VGC Wolf Grey with a small amount (5-10%) VGC Ultramarine Blue added.

Note that the Decimator in the last picture is not repainted and is factory standard.

ZrRqnOQ.jpg

MsjoqhJ.jpg

Rzzzdcz.jpg

Nice! Loving how that colour scheme works for the shuttles.

When the 2.0 A-wing, the RZ-1, was released they decided to change the paint job quite a bit. Well, here's an RZ-1 that's almost the inverse of that, the colors of the 1.0 A-wing but in the pattern of the 2.0 version.

LO9fYNV.jpg

2jd0APf.jpg

Vbr60Xo.jpg

**** dude, do you ever get approached to do work for companies for their promotional use?! You should be! :wub:

3 hours ago, CyCo said:

**** dude, do you ever get approached to do work for companies for their promotional use?! You should be! :wub:

Now that would be awesome but sadly no such offer yet. 😪

Do you do commissions?

Here's two T-70 X-wings with a distinct striped appearance. I like to call them Metallic Tiger Wings. This was also a bit of an experiment for me. I usually avoid using metallic paints on this scale but for this I went all in. Unfortunately I couldn't easily acquire a blue metallic colour that I was pleased with so instead I went with Vallejo's metal medium. It's a transparent 'colour' meant to mixed with other paints in order to make them look as a metallic paint. The effect is perhaps not as pronounced as a 'true' metallic paint but it gets the job done.

FMtBBne.jpg

2BFR8Si.jpg

Zuq8Yva.jpg

i5QWso3.jpg

Y'know, every time I see this thread on the main page, it cuts it to "MacrossVF1s Corner of Pain..." and I forget what it is. That being said, your work is amazing and if I need something painted for X-Wing you'd be on my list.

"Macr ossVF1s Corner of Pain..."

Well that's not entirely inaccurate as some of these paint jobs and scratch builds have caused me a fair amount of head ache over the years. :)

Here's a follow up to the two X-wings I posted yesterday; An RZ-2 A-wing painted in the same scheme.

8IFmmWV.jpg

i9wTZyq.jpg

v4ueIQx.jpg

Love the paint scheme, however it's not working entirely on the A-wing for me. It feels like the patern needs to be 'broke' just a bit.

With the X-wing that happens automatically because of its shape. But as the A-wing is a single body its a bit... cluttered. But of course that is a personal taste... painting is still great!

11 hours ago, Noosart said:

Love the paint scheme, however it's not working entirely on the A-wing for me. It feels like the patern needs to be 'broke' just a bit.

With the X-wing that happens automatically because of its shape. But as the A-wing is a single body its a bit... cluttered. But of course that is a personal taste... painting is still great!

I can understand what you mean, though this is how I was asked to paint it. It's not like my personal opinion matter much under these circumstances. :)

Here's the Swordfish II from the 1998 anime Cowboy Bepop in glorious 1/270 X-wing scale. So what do you think, would Spike Spiegel have been able to compete in the Star Wars universe?

AN3OOfy.jpg

iucTWLE.jpg

eWg1VyR.jpg

5 hours ago, MacrossVF1 said:

Here's the Swordfish II from the 1998 anime Cowboy Bepop in glorious 1/270 X-wing scale. So what do you think, would Spike Spiegel have been able to compete in the Star Wars universe?

AN3OOfy.jpg

iucTWLE.jpg

eWg1VyR.jpg

He'd have to trade his guns for blasters but that railgun and The Swordfish II's stupid level of agility WOULD INDEED make Spike a formidable foe.

No hyperspace though.

Edited by KCDodger

That's gorgeous. So jealous.

Asajj Ventress was a full time villain for part of her life, right? So it's only natural that she needed some henchmen/women/aliens to do her bidding, right? So yes, here's the first two Asajj Ventress inspired underlings. Tune in tomorrow on the same X-wing time, same X-wing channel for the other one. :)

uPsPNix.jpg

RKdLWZO.jpg

cKUFC1I.jpg

Here's the promised follow up from yesterday, the second Asajj Ventress inspired underling/thug.

But what about Asajj herself? Well, for that you will have to wait for the exciting conclusion tomorrow!
Oci4RLc.jpg
IgK9oiM.jpg
qMZ9dHs.jpg