MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Gorgeous, and glad to see new work!

Yay, Macross is back!

:wub:

Yeah it's been a while. It's not that I haven't been doing stuff, however nothing have been suitable to post here. For instance, as much as I suspect that some might find it interesting how I have repaired, rewired, recapped, and re-furbished some old computers and consoles, this is really not the best place for that.

Edited by MacrossVF1

****, I completely forgot to upload this. Should have done it about three weeks ago. Sorry?

Anyway, here's a squad of 7 fighters in the livery of Inferno squad. Five normal TIE Fighters, one 'VIP' TIE and one TIE Advanced to add some extra punch.

bXDH6aG.jpg

HR0p3xu.jpg

eHUQFQk.jpg

n56BZQs.jpg

8sFK2Fl.jpg

JTt9qu0.jpg

Here's a Firespray inspired by a real life lizard called Skilton's Skink.

iqqQV5i.jpg

S1el9o6.jpg

jXvMvhq.jpg

e5wEMNI.jpg

You seem like the most knowledgeable person on there forums when it comes to painting and color picking. While I am not going to repaint models themselves, I am planning to prepare dials for my Galactic Empire ships. And in future for Rebel Alliance and Galactic Republic as well. Now I encountered a slight issue with finding the right color to match the blue-grey of the Imperial Ties. I am almost certain, that Fenrisian Grey (Citadel)/Pale Greyblue (Vallejo) with a simple dark ink on top would work. But since I like to nail the result on the first go, I am doing a research. Could you perhaps share some insight, what would you do to recreate the color?

On 10/24/2019 at 9:29 PM, Schanez said:

You seem like the most knowledgeable person on there forums when it comes to painting and color picking. While I am not going to repaint models themselves, I am planning to prepare dials for my Galactic Empire ships. And in future for Rebel Alliance and Galactic Republic as well. Now I encountered a slight issue with finding the right color to match the blue-grey of the Imperial Ties. I am almost certain, that Fenrisian Grey (Citadel)/Pale Greyblue (Vallejo) with a simple dark ink on top would work. But since I like to nail the result on the first go, I am doing a research. Could you perhaps share some insight, what would you do to recreate the color?

Colour matching is difficult and an exact match is usually impossible to achieve. Partially because there is some colour variation among the models themselves. I can only encourage you to experiment with a multitude of mixes. However I do have one model I painted a few years ago that should serve as decent starting point. https://alternativewargamer.blogspot.com/2016/08/painting-tie-shuttle.html

To make it short, the base colour I used was a 6:6:1:1 mix of VGC Sombre Grey, VGC Stonewall Grey, VGC Ultramarine Blue and VGC Turquoise. VGC in this case stands for Vallejo Game Colour.

35 minutes ago, MacrossVF1 said:

Colour matching is difficult and an exact match is usually impossible to achieve. Partially because there is some colour variation among the models themselves. I can only encourage you to experiment with a multitude of mixes. However I do have one model I painted a few years ago that should serve as decent starting point. https://alternativewargamer.blogspot.com/2016/08/painting-tie-shuttle.html

To make it short, the base colour I used was a 6:6:1:1 mix of VGC Sombre Grey, VGC Stonewall Grey, VGC Ultramarine Blue and VGC Turquoise. VGC in this case stands for Vallejo Game Colour.

Oh, I do know color matching is a massive issue. I am aiming just for an approximate. Without access to FFG paints, you cannot replicate their exact tone.

I will try with the mix you used. The dial upgrades still haven't arrived, so I have my time to do some research.

Keep up the great work you are doing. It's always enlightening to watch artists and their creations.

On 10/26/2019 at 10:19 AM, Schanez said:

Keep up the great work you are doing. It's always enlightening to watch artists and their creations.

Here's the thing, I don't consider myself an artist, rather I would call myself an engineer or perhaps architect. I have a very precise and measured take on just about everything I paint and build. Don't you know that there are rules and procedures to follow? Straying outside of those confines is unacceptable! ;)

yeah. NEVER paint outside the lines... huh?

8 hours ago, MacrossVF1 said:

Here's the thing, I don't consider myself an artist, rather I would call myself an engineer or perhaps architect. I have a very precise and measured take on just about everything I paint and build. Don't you know that there are rules and procedures to follow? Straying outside of those confines is unacceptable! ;)

“Every man is an artist... Creasy’s art is death, and he’s about to paint his masterpiece.” - Christopher Walken (Man On Fire) 😜

snapshot20081112200745.jpg

Edited by JBFancourt
On 10/27/2019 at 5:40 AM, MacrossVF1 said:

You are speaking of "craft." I often refer to "art" as "the elevation of craft."

Here's something I call the Tantive IV Wannabees. One VCX, two YT-2400s and two U-wings painted in the same style and colours as the Tantive IV.

This is not my usual style of painting, I normally go nuts with the highlights, but this time it was not required.

The ships were already magnetized when I got them so I had to improvise a somewhat suitable mount when I took the pictures

5BW8MUM.jpg

qCiG0DQ.jpg

pSHQMu4.jpg

txUnfn7.jpg

ccKbQbR.jpg

MtbuwEI.jpg

j3kcmyl.jpg

fUbBDWu.jpg

EYtg7o8.jpg

wfWNbFr.jpg

F4GWyJE.jpg

Here's the recipes I researched for these ships. I used a Tantive IV model to get them right, pretty much painting on top of it until I was satisfied with the mixes. Do beware that the final result will vary depending on the primer/base coat (I tend to start with black) as well as the shading method used and the varnish.

All colours are Vallejo Game Colour unless otherwise noted.

White:
1:2:6/12 - Bleached Bone, Stonewall Grey, Army Painter Matt White/ Vallejo Model Air White
I first mixed in 6 parts AP Matt White but realized I would probably not have enough for all the ships so I switched to VMA White instead. The result is the same and I estimate the colour to be about a 95% match of the Tantive IV

Red:
1:1:4:4 - Army Painter Matt White, Hot Orange, Gory Red, Bloody Red
Estimate a 90-95% match

Detail colour blue/grey:
1:5:5:5 - Magic Blue, Army Painter Matt White, Stonewall Grey, Sombre Grey
As it's only featured on a smattering of panels and details I didn't bother with the same accuracy here. Probably something like an 80-85% match.

Detail colour yellow:
1:4 Army Painter Matt White, Army Painter Daemonic Yellow
Same as above.

Detail colour grey:
1:1 Stonewall Grey, Cold Grey
By far the easiest colour to research, but other than that, pretty much the same as the other two detail colours.

33 minutes ago, MacrossVF1 said:

Here's the recipes I researched for these ships. I used a Tantive IV model to get them right, pretty much painting on top of it until I was satisfied with the mixes. Do beware that the final result will vary depending on the primer/base coat (I tend to start with black) as well as the shading method used and the varnish.

All colours are Vallejo Game Colour unless otherwise noted.

White:
1:2:6/12 - Bleached Bone, Stonewall Grey, Army Painter Matt White/ Vallejo Model Air White
I first mixed in 6 parts AP Matt White but realized I would probably not have enough for all the ships so I switched to VMA White instead. The result is the same and I estimate the colour to be about a 95% match of the Tantive IV

Red:
1:1:4:4 - Army Painter Matt White, Hot Orange, Gory Red, Bloody Red
Estimate a 90-95% match

Detail colour blue/grey:
1:5:5:5 - Magic Blue, Army Painter Matt White, Stonewall Grey, Sombre Grey
As it's only featured on a smattering of panels and details I didn't bother with the same accuracy here. Probably something like an 80-85% match.

Detail colour yellow:
1:4 Army Painter Matt White, Army Painter Daemonic Yellow
Same as above.

Detail colour grey:
1:1 Stonewall Grey, Cold Grey
By far the easiest colour to research, but other than that, pretty much the same as the other two detail colours.

Thank you for sharing these! :)

The VCX looks so good. I like the original paint job, but at times it feels like it has too many colors.

Your VCX looks solid, serious, and ready to both give and take a beating.

Lovely. Such clean edges.

Some Scum Z-95s, A Binayre, Kaa'to and N'dru, for you to enjoy. As before, no highlighting was necessary with these ships. I will say this though, I'm happy I only needed to paint one Binayre Pirate.

Fwo1Mal.jpg

oA1yn5i.jpg

TSWDqIR.jpg

FXLsg9o.jpg

SqS0EsK.jpg

YSNvolI.jpg

A few more ships. I think this is the fifth Kath Scarlet I've painted and Firesprays in general does remain a very popular ship. The C-roc however is new to me and it's been painted to resemble the great fat slug himself.

UfgsMKf.jpg

JEmF6Lw.jpg

YhSAHPF.jpg

7IlMI0i.jpg

uM20dm3.jpg

Zj9A7ZX.jpg

Edited by MacrossVF1
Added pictures

A few more ships. I think this is the fifth Kath Scarlet I've painted and Firesprays in general does remain a very popular ship. The C-roc however is new to me and it's been painted to resemble the great fat slug himself.

What the actual eff? I don't know how so many posts got duplicated like this. I've sent a report so hopefully the useless posts will be removed.

Edited by MacrossVF1