Finding Rey a wing-man for the prom

By Flurpy, in X-Wing Squad Lists

I think it's a real shame that the Rey build that has been talked about was not at LVO to my knowledge! Would of been good to see it in action! Still no arrival of Wave 6 or card packs in the UK yet so Uk system open is still a question mark in terms of wingmen.

With the point changes I went back to Rey, since now you can fit Rey + Cova and a proper third ship.

The issue is I'm lacking a proper third ship. So far I've tested Tallie, but she was mostly irrelevant past the first engagement and generic t70, both ps 1 and ps 3 with heroic. They fared better than tallie, but their best use was to throw them at my opponent menacing a flank hoping he takes the bait and shoot at them instead of Rey.

I've also discovered I was very wrong about KorSella: I thought it was only good for crit control but I totaly slipped over the fact you can ignore debris with her... Coupled with Leia that's crazy mobility!

I played 2 games with this list today

Rey (70)
Korr Sella (6)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)
Rey's Millennium Falcon (2)

Ship total: 101 Half Points: 51 Threshold: 6

Cova Nell (38)
Heroic (1)
Leia Organa (Resistance) (17)
R4 Astromech (2)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Ship total: 61 Half Points: 31 Threshold: 5

Vi Moradi (27)
GA-97 (6)

Ship total: 33 Half Points: 17 Threshold: 2

Total: 195

It was hilariously terrible. I just wanted to use the it's the resistance condition and while I enjoyed shouting it, it was not useful. I liked using Cova but may put a cannon instead of the hull upgrade. I lost all my other ships in the first game and Rey came on soloed the rest of the list. In the second game Rey got stuck and ate everything and died horribly. I want to stick with Cova but can't find a good another ship for 38 pts.

Rey (70)
Korr Sella (6)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)

Cova Nell (38)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Vi Moradi (27)
GA-97 (6)

It was hilariously terrible. I just wanted to use the it's the resistance condition and while I enjoyed shouting it, it was not useful. I liked using Cova but may put a cannon instead of the hull upgrade. I lost all my other ships in the first game and Rey came on soloed the rest of the list. In the second game Rey got stuck and ate everything and died horribly. I want to stick with Cova but can't find a good another ship for 38 pts.

On the plus side my hot shot aces arrived today so it means I can give Zizi I try! There must be something in this Cova idea though they did pretty well at LVO

9 hours ago, mattcogg81 said:

Rey (70)
Korr Sella (6)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)

Cova Nell (38)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Vi Moradi (27)
GA-97 (6)

On the plus side my hot shot aces arrived today so it means I can give Zizi I try! There must be something in this Cova idea though they did pretty well at LVO

What about dropping the Stealth Device and the Hull Upgrade and try Heroic AO Zizi instead of Vi?

Hi all,

Quick update - I flew Rey (101), Zizi with Heroic and AO and a red sq vet t70 with heroic and AO. I had a 5pt bid.

I played two games and I have to say I am a Zizi fan now! Now I understand how to play Zizi he/she was awesome! I loved the reliability and HP of the T70 also. I won both games easily but against another 3 ship list! I feel that flying Rey correctly is my weakness and not getting her stuck and making her predictable.

The fireball arrives in store today in the UK so will be flying over the weekend as another wingman! 1 week to System open and still not settled - AAAAAHHHHH!

Sadly rey isn't playable at the system open main event...

So I played this Rey with cova/leia and zizi. It’s insane. Am I playing it right that leia can make reys white hard turns into blues and clear stress using korr afterwards???

Edited by Rettere

@Rettere yep that is correct!

What build did you use?

@Sunitsa yeah sorry talking about Sunday event at UK SO which is extended!

Going to try the fireball out tonight as purchased today - So Rey, Zizi and Kaz probably - I need to go back to Cova at some point - although UK SO ruling dictates we need pods attached now.

I was using:

Rey

(70) Rey [Scavenged YT-1300]
(6) Korr Sella
(9) Rose Tico
(10) Finn
(2) Rey's Millennium Falcon

(38) Cova Nell [Resistance Transport]
(2) R4 Astromech
(17) Leia Organa
(1) Heroic

(40) Zizi Tlo [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic

Total points: 196

some observations:

Rey REALLY likes Leia and coordinate. I was doing insane things like using Cova to coordinate a red boost to Rey at I4, then Rey reveals a hard three which I turn blue, but it overlaps a debris but I don’t care since korr sella clears all my stress anyways. You can even do that entire sequence when Rey is double stressed from a previous turn!

Other crazy things included getting shot by Wedge and rolling no defense dice... but using Finn/Rose to take a lock on him. Then shooting back with Full mods on 3 dice + a blank. I guess everyone on this thread already knows how that works.

Leia is worth the 17 points. I was even turning Zizi’s 1-hard blue from time to time.

Im on the fence with Zizi, might downgrade to Talli to get a shield upgrade on Rey. I never seemed to need the extra token for Zizi since Rey was drawing all the attention.

Awesome @Rettere I am glad you enjoyed the list!

I managed another two games last night - First was this one

Rey (70)
Korr Sella (6)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)

Kazuda Xiono (40)
Heroic (1)
R5 Astromech (4)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Kaz's Fireball (2)

Ship total: 50 Half Points: 25 Threshold: 3

L'ulo L'ampar (43)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 48 Half Points: 24 Threshold: 2

Total: 199

I played against a nasty Double punisher - Deathrain, Redline and Jendon list all loaded up with Traj Sim, proton bombs, seismic charges, concussions, Adv protons - etc

It was absolutely brutal - but in a fun way! Never seen so many damage cards on the table! I lost Lulo after two rounds of shooting - Kaz was brilliant and her ability was useful throughout - very flexible ship with slam action and advanced slam. Rey was the true hero though - I was hitting like a truck and needed a 5 dice hit shot to win the game in the last round on Jendon. Grabbed the TL previously from spend a green die result in the previous round and pushed all the damaged through! Fantastic game!

Second game was my favourite setup

Rey (70)
Korr Sella (6)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)

Kazuda Xiono (40)
Heroic (1)
R1-J5 (6)
Coaxium Hyperfuel (2)
Advanced SLAM (3)
Kaz's Fireball (2)

Ship total: 54 Half Points: 27 Threshold: 3

Zizi Tlo (40)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 45 Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

Total: 200

Played against Vonreg, Kylo and the ship which increases initiative when damaged -

I played this game really aggressively - Kaz was again brilliant and that coax hyperfuel is just brilliant with r1-j5, (might drop advanced slam), Zizi was so much better than Lulo and was able to be way more aggressive @GreenDragoon ty for all the tips here. Rey was once again terrific although did suffer from some side hits and I was rolling 1 die which was scary! This build is definitely the build I will be taking forward! I need to learn all the tricks with Kaz - and what cards to draw from the deck what combos I can pull of with r1-j5 and coaxium hyperfuel. Really starting to get my eye in now with Rey!

Having such a great time with this at the moment!

Has anyone tried ?

Rey (70)
Leia (17)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)

No need for Korr, Rose or Title

Red turn white , all whites are blue. Plus a whole lot of other tricks.

Rey takes target locks every turn.

Your support ships to taste.

4 hours ago, Saloh Cin said:

Has anyone tried ?

Rey (70)
Leia (17)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)

No need for Korr, Rose or Title

It works and it's strong, but after 1st engage Rey can be starved for Force - personally I like regen-ing 2 force per turn (i.e. in the Cova build) instead of 1. Also Leia on Rey makes her primo target #1 id she wasn't already ;) It's a solid build though

Thinking about trying this Thursday at league night, no idea of its viability.

Resistance Transport Pod - •Rose Tico - 31
•Rose Tico - Earnest Engineer (26)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Scavenged YT-1300 Light Freighter - •Rey - 82
•Rey - Resourceful Scavenger (70)
•Rey’s Millennium Falcon (2)
•Finn (10)

RZ-2 A-wing - •Tallissan Lintra - 41
•Tallissan Lintra - Deadly Approach (36)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

RZ-2 A-wing - •Zizi Tlo - 45
•Zizi Tlo - Committed to the Cause (40)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Total: 199/200

View in the X-Wing Squad Builder

Lol guys I went 6:0 in Swiss. I need to put Rey on pause until I drop out and then I'll switch to Thicc Rey.

Hi all,

Just got back from UK System Open - I took Rey to the Worlds Qualifiers on the Sunday due to not being as good as @Flurpy and I took Rey (101) with Zizi and Kaz. I had an amazing time and won 3 on the bounce and lost my fourth by a narrow margin.

Pros - Rey and Zizi were just fantastic - consistent damage and survivability

Cons - Kaz - my build was too thic tbh and I need to strip Kaz down more to just Kaz, Heroic and R5 I think - I still need more practice as use Kaz more as a blocker rather than an attacking ship.

The best bit by far was meeting @GreenDragoon and @Flurpy at the event and having some great discussions about the list! Flurpy took a slightly different build to myself and would be great to see how he got on.

Had to include the pic of us and our pair of Reys. Really like to hear how you got on!

FlurpyGreenDMattC.jpg

I have to admit this was probably the most fun I had at any X-Wing tournament I've been to so far. The English definitely know how to organise a tournament and every single player I meet was a joy to play against. Your weather still sucks thou.

Anyway Ill write up a report with pictures and everything in the next couple of days since I finally forced myself to document all the games.

In short I went 5:0 on Sunday finishing 7th overall and 6:0 on Saturday finishing 2nd overall, getting a bye in Top64 and then lost my one and only cut match in Top32. I think I might be allergic to them :D

After I write up the report it's probably going to be some down time for me until the May System Open in Italy, different hobbies need more attention, but I feel like this thread is left in more than good hands.

And yes never in my life would I have expected to be recognised on the basis of my username here, it was totally awesome to meet you @mattcogg81

Rey proves the haters wrong?

After crashing out of the cut, which you can read here I switched over to the Worlds Qualifier.

The List:

In the end, I choose to go with the most aggressive of options, helped along by the fact Hotshots and Aces were sold out so no Zizi for me.

Rey + Rose Tico + Korr Sella + Finn + Stealth Device + Rey's Millennium Falcon
Kazuda Xiono + Heroic + R5 Astromech
L'ulo L'ampar + Heroic + Crack Shot + Advanced Optics

With the list having only 3 ships, and maybe one true arc dodger I needed to do damage and a lot of it, all the time. So the ultra-defensive fortress of Zizi was discarded for the suicidal bruiser Kaz.

Round One (bye)

I rated McDonald’s.

200-100

Round Two(bye)

I lost in the cut. Fun fact, my MOV average actually increases if you only count games 3 to 5, **** byes brought my average down. Yes, I am as surprised as you are about it.

200-100

Round Three (*I am sorry I forgot* with Luke, Corran, and Jake)

KJqGIA1Gr1FBah1JhXkYQBtgXSm25S-o1zqSNx1xGlyeLdKFz-SjbCErro1UmRmQ6aoWm0d5t635Qr9SR935bacD21TqtHqklGD9PA5YGGxcIejL4vn3qxfcu_pFWho-VUVhH356

I also forgot to take pictures compared to Saturday, so here’s a picture I took of the list when I was unpacking.

The general plan with this list was for Kaz to lead, followed by Rey and then Lulu on the flank. Kaz is there to die and any shot at him is a shot not going into Rey or Lulu. The 3 dice attack is only a bonus.

He deployed Luke and Corran in the left corner and Jake in the right corner. I bunched up into the left corner. Slow rolled into the center waiting for him to pick somewhere to commit. He choose to engage with a cloud in between us so nobody did anything. I rushed through the cloud the next turn to block Luke and lit up Corran while Lulu broke off to block any flanking attempts by Jake. Lulu killed Jake, Rey and Kaz killed Corran and then it was clean up.

200 - 68

Round Four (Martin Espinoza with Boba and Koshka)

CoClOeJ2SLeCNtuD3aMmqxH9YPCiNKSW4Fgw1B8z7yTt0c19TX_wAFnJAyiykxLJWv_imITLzOa837C_hK1KCV2b1VSrD-o68hE5bqLTjwlBIFMliuKYYOvYOWbJyNVuu2N--_QH

I had no clue this was the most topical list of the tournament, to be perfectly honest I was a bit distracted this match and came off a bit impolite so I hope my opponent doesn’t resent me. Anyway, my bid was bigger so that meant no Slave One shenanigans and as far as I am concerned that decided the match. I rushed in Kaz aggressively and let him die. In exchange for that, I managed to half Kosha and slip in a nasty Fuel Leak. The two Firesprays split up and Koskha ran away to stop her from dying to Rey. Lulu followed pursued by Boba who was in turn chased by Rey. Boba managed to kill Lulu while Lulu finished Koshka the same turn. With Boba being second player and Rey not even losing her Stealth Device it was now a matter of time. As usual, insane dice resolved any dilemma that was left.

200 - 91

Round 5 (Filip Vukic with Inferno Swarm)

Fly across half of Europe to fight the only other Balkan player in the room. Thankfully we both had our World invites already so it was a casual match. Even more so since this was the single best instance of my dice on record. Rey was deleting a ship a turn and didn’t even lose her Stealth Device in front of all 6 of Filips ships. It was insane.

X7gPHRetmyJ4lWpAZnAvNiobiT-z4AhjCL6iZvxhaa9c6-O2wuqqS6-B3fjUfsx8cpRAsCeqRwnEFTurEKcRwT7FpzYgL_YG2cxiV6_JqDR-TF2vNNpZtknzl1UcEVUQuhG0HB7t

We meet between the central Debris and the left lower corner Debris. Kaz leading the way, Rey behind and Lulu flanking around the central Debris. After the initial engagement, Kaz did his only SLAM of the day to get behind the swarm followed by Lulu from the upper side. The swarm was now in a sandwich between all my ships. That was followed by 4 turns of Rey deleting ships. It was a sight to behold.

200 - 68

And so it ended 5:0, and I finished 7th overall. A weekend where I had a combined record of 11:1 at the largest premier event in the world, insane doesn’t even begin to cover it. With that being said, this feels like the perfect moment to take a break (apart from occasional forum sithposting). See you all in May when I restart this for the Italian SoS.

If I learned one thing this weekend is to"Fly something you love and let it kill you". Both of my lists were designed by me and had a very small number of similar lists across the competition. All this talk of meta is irrelevant if you are not having fun with your list, or falling that just roll like a madman, it seems to work for me.

Fly What you love.

84657906_2631592377072449_5333941617436917760_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_ohc=NFIljQ7If5QAX9HRZ1b&_nc_ht=scontent.fzag4-1.fna&oh=7f0eb7ba079c613d74b5ae83ef660437&oe=5EB6F94B

2 minutes ago, Flurpy said:

I had no clue this was the most topical list of the tournament, to be perfectly honest I was a bit distracted this match and came off a bit impolite so I hope my opponent doesn’t resent me.

Not at all, by the way. He just thought you had way too much energy for game 10 of the weekend. But he thinks the same about me, so I say you did fine :P

Congratz on the 5:0 run after 6:0 the day before, that's really impressive! And even more because, as you mention, they were yours!
And I know on how much sleep you did the 5:0, so I'm even more impressed by that alone :D

2 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Not at all, by the way. He just thought you had way too much energy for game 10 of the weekend. But he thinks the same about me, so I say you did fine :P

Congratz on the 5:0 run after 6:0 the day before, that's really impressive! And even more because, as you mention, they were yours!
And I know on how much sleep you did the 5:0, so I'm even more impressed by that alone :D

I am a software engineer when I pretend that I am an adult, having endless energy in the face of catastrophic sleep schedule is basically my job description.

Edited by Flurpy

Great write up!

Don't forget all the great people you got to meet at the UK SOS also?

So is Lulo you definitive wingman?

Who would be you're other?

I agree that the bid is everything with some of these I5's.

Well done though on an amazing achievement!

8 minutes ago, mattcogg81 said:

Great write up!

Don't forget all the great people you got to meet at the UK SOS also?

So is Lulo you definitive wingman?

Who would be you're other?

I agree that the bid is everything with some of these I5's.

Well done though on an amazing achievement!

Yeah the people were definitely the best part of the tournament :D

Yeah Lulu is THE wing-man to me and the answer to the initial question of the thread, I think it finally dawned on me how to use him properly over the last couple of weeks. Only question is if Kaz or Zizi round out the list. Kaz is full offense and a distraction, Zizi is a defensive ship and I dont think that fits here. The more I play it the more I realize this isnt an ace list, its a bruiser list, and I need to inflict as much damage as I can, so Zizi can be ignored but Kaz cant, and if Kaz isnt ignored then people arent shooting at Rey.

Amazing run, @Flurpy , congrats!

Congratulations! I wanted to try a thicker Kaz, but I feel that all the "fun" stuff is related to the slam, and as you said... Kaz ends up not using slam as much as I thought.

45 points feels right.

I will definitely have to try Lulo and Kaz but right now Zizi and Kaz are working great for me!

I use Kaz as a bit of a menace and the threat of Slam seems to work! Plus I can bid deeper which helps me at the moment!