Finding Rey a wing-man for the prom

By Flurpy, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Well yes, my main dillema is if they will be legal there

I heard on the threads that it is looking unlikely due the release date being the 31st of Jan?

Looking at Uk system open fb thread Vonreg/Fireball and the 3 card packs all have official release date of 31st of Jan so not legal for uk system open on the Feb 8th.

Not sure what do to do now with current availability for this Rey build?

Edited by mattcogg81
update of info

Ok so FFG just announced that card packs and new ships WILL be legal!!!!

So what's our best list with wave 6 content? Anyone been proxying and had any success?

I am now definitely going the UK SOS and will be flying Rey for sure!

What do we think will be the best?

Haven't tested it yet but I'm looking at this.

(70) Rey [Scavenged YT-1300] (6) Korr Sella (10) Finn (2) Rey's Millennium Falcon Points: 88

(26) Colossus Station Mechanic [Fireball] Points: 26

(43) L'ulo L'ampar [RZ-2 A-wing] (1) Heroic Points: 44

(40) Zizi Tlo [RZ-2 A-wing] (1) Heroic (1) Crack Shot Points: 42

Total points: 200

I will be flying Rey on Sunday as well. I basically narrowed it down to three wing-men and I need to pick two. Three options:

1) Thicc Rey + Stealth Device, Heroic/Advanced Optics Zizi, Heroic/Advanced Optics Lulu

2) Thicc Rey, Heroic/Advanced Optics Zizi, Kaz with Title,R4, Advanced SLAM, Heroic

3) Thicc Rey, Heroic/Advanced Optics Lulu, Kaz with Title,R4, Advanced SLAM, Heroic

Both Lulu and Kaz are more offensive than Zizi, but I really like Zizis efficiency.

@GreenDragoon is Zizi really as good as you say it is?

Edited by Flurpy
2 minutes ago, Flurpy said:

@GreenDragoon is Zizi really as good as you say it is?

I might be overhyping her a bit. The reason is because I compare her to other RZ2s within 5A. That's not exactly the same comparison as to an RZ2 in Rey+AA or PoeAAA.

But then again... You get to modify offense without any downsides. Or you get to take 2 focus for 100% max damage. Or you get to take focus+evade for max defense. Or, if you shoot first, you can afford to roll+rotate/boost, and then grab the defensive focus by shooting.

It opens up so many plays that were always risky. Zizi can do them without the risk. That's probably why I'm so (over)hyping her.

2 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

Or, if you shoot first, you can afford to roll+rotate/boost, and then grab the defensive focus by shooting.

I hadn’t thought of that sort of thing until I finally played her last night. My best move was a 1-hard while stressed, did it, fired and got a token. Cool.

4 hours ago, gennataos said:

I hadn’t thought of that sort of thing until I finally played her last night. My best move was a 1-hard while stressed, did it, fired and got a token. Cool.

Yup.

Auto-include.

Bye bye, quadTs...

I feel like I am totally misunderstanding Zizi's ability?

Run those options past me again in idiot speak! When does the ability trigger?

@Green Dragon

1 minute ago, mattcogg81 said:

I feel like I am totally misunderstanding Zizi's ability?

Run those options past me again in idiot speak! When does the ability trigger?

@Green Dragon

She has a single reoccurring charge, which you can spend after her attack or any time she defends. Her ability is "gain" a focus or evade, so she can do that no matter what. So you can be stressed, on a rock/debris/cloud, have bumped, etc. and still end up with a focus or evade after you attack or defend once.

I forgot about the stress part that's really cool!

Not understand if I get the two focus for max damage statement? Do you get the focus/evade after the attack is concluded?

6 minutes ago, mattcogg81 said:

I forgot about the stress part that's really cool!

Not understand if I get the two focus for max damage statement? Do you get the focus/evade after the attack is concluded?

That's more situational, assuming Zizi originally took a focus and didn't need/want to spend her focus, so would then gain an evade for focus/evade defensive token stack.

24 minutes ago, mattcogg81 said:

Not understand if I get the two focus for max damage statement?

@gennataos already explained everything else. For the max damage:

if you are shot at i6 and don't need to spend a focus on defense, then you can take an evade to stack defense. But you can also take a second focus.

Now on your attack, spend one for advanced optics, and the other one for the normal effect. That allows you to reliably turn even 3 dice into 3 hits. Note that you can't use optics twice to turn two blanks, because of the once per opportunity rule.

Cool ok I get this now - have you found the high initiative a problem? I found a lot of the time I wasn't get much mileage out of the ability against low init ships - however I like the shoot for defensive focus trick!

17 minutes ago, mattcogg81 said:

Cool ok I get this now - have you found the high initiative a problem? I found a lot of the time I wasn't get much mileage out of the ability against low init ships - however I like the shoot for defensive focus trick!

Its glorious against ships attacking after her. Most times I didn't even spend the focus and grabbed an evade for some serious token stacking. Agility 3 with Evade/Focus is not getting damaged easily.

This opens up some serious aggressive plays with her, you can place her right in front of the face of the opponent and now he has to either ignore her and A-Wings love to knife fight or shoot at her and waste a lot of shoots.

A rey (Title, rose, finn, freelance slicer) was seen on GSP stream a few hours ago. She was accompanied by Tallie and Cova. Faced 3 tugs, 1 z-95, Seevor and a Black sun assasin. It was a very entertaining match.

I was also going to post this here is the list I think!

Rey (70)
Rose Tico (9)
Freelance Slicer (3)
Finn (10)
Shield Upgrade (4)
Rey's Millennium Falcon (2)
Ship total: (98)

Cova Nell (38)
Heroic (1)
Leia Organa (Resistance) (17)
R4 Astromech (2)
Ship total: (58)

Tallissan Lintra (36)
Heroic (1)
Crack Shot (1)
Advanced Optics (4)
Ship total: (42)

Total: 198

I am very tempted to run Cova at UK System open also! Going to give it a couple of test games tomorrow - that is a light Rey though!

Rey, Lulo and Cova are on stream now! On GSP - top 16 of LVO

Apparently the player (Brandon) is pretty good, too. I still think Rey is not reliable enough for such big events, and I'm not yet ready to dismiss that idea, but it's at least interesting that the almost same list made cut twice. Note that he has Lulo, which makes more sense to me.

What do you guys think about freelance slicer instead of Korr? It's a neat combo to use the free locks, but I'm not sure I like it better

I am really intrigued by the Freelance Slicer - would like to know the stats!

I really don't get the list, haha

All my general doubt about Cova aside, why does she fit into this list? The other two are really fast, and necessarily so. How does that not constantly leave her alone and as easy target? You could add 50pt R3 Bastian for several free locks, or even a regen Bastian, or whatever else. Maybe M9G8 to lock Lulo. Just... anything with 3dice and double mods below 58pt, and there is more than one option. Soon with Zizi, but obviously not yet at LVO.

That frees up points and makes Rey more resilient. Why Cova in this list?

11 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Apparently the player (Brandon) is pretty good, too. I still think Rey is not reliable enough for such big events, and I'm not yet ready to dismiss that idea, but it's at least interesting that the almost same list made cut twice. Note that he has Lulo, which makes more sense to me.

What do you guys think about freelance slicer instead of Korr? It's a neat combo to use the free locks, but I'm not sure I like it better

Its a neat combo, but I would rather lose Rose and/or Finn before I lose Korra. To me Korr + Title is what makes this Rey Rey

Just now, GreenDragoon said:

I really don't get the list, haha

All my general doubt about Cova aside, why does she fit into this list? The other two are really fast, and necessarily so. How does that not constantly leave her alone and as easy target? You could add 50pt R3 Bastian for several free locks, or even a regen Bastian, or whatever else. Maybe M9G8 to lock Lulo. Just... anything with 3dice and double mods below 58pt, and there is more than one option. Soon with Zizi, but obviously not yet at LVO.

That frees up points and makes Rey more resilient. Why Cova in this list?

Same Team. I dont get how this wins against Thicc Rey/Lulu/Tallie, but hes a great player so he obviously knows whats up.

Far from me to armchair a clearly better player, but there were at least two, more likely three situations where Rey should have slooped. Including the last one. If the lack of Korr is the reason he didn't sloop, then that is a very strong argument for Korr and against the Slicer.

Am I wrong for just wanting to bring two generic T-70s? Boost lets them keep up if they have to, they can take a few hits, and can dish it back at least decently.

• Heroic/Hull Reds are a ****ing quagmire. Maybe Rey does enough damage that your opponent just can't kill them.
  • Outmaneuver Reds are a scary prospect, but perhaps the threat is worse than the execution, as folks will often say in chess. Ignoring them to go for Rey means they can get quite the pot shots.
  • Heroic/Optics Reds leave a few more points to play with for Rey (5 vs 3), and also hit fairly hard (particularly when they aren't contested and can use Focus at will), plus have that handy double-blank protection on the green dice.
    • Outmaneuver vs Optics actually poses an interesting puzzle.
      • Outmaneuver is better when it triggers, but not actually by much. When an Optics ship is free to spend focus offensively, the damage is nearly as good as the agility reduction from Outmaneuver.
      • However, Optics isn't position-based. You can shoot someone who is in your arc but shot someone else. You can shoot at the rear-side of a turret. The geometry here works out nicely.
      • However, Outmaneuver is always on. It works if you spend your focus token or lose your action somehow.
  • BB/Optics Blues drop down in Initiative, which may or may not be a problem, but gain some nice mobility, and also free up points for Rey to get all of Contraband, Stealth Device, and Heightened Perception.