Finding Rey a wing-man for the prom

By Flurpy, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Have you tried 97pt Rey + LeiaCova + R5Kaz?

Ive never tried Cova with Rey, I always go AA or FireballA as the wingmen.

Edited by oaicart

Why 97pt Rey? I really like 101pt Rey with stealth device. Just played her yesterday. Almost taking a striker off the board while tanking half a swarm without taking damage is fantastic. A bit of range control so not all can shoot and to keep the others at range 3, and you're golden. The boost makes that range control relatively easy, too.

I have to choose Heroic and 2pt bid or Stealth Device. I like the Device too, if it fits.

45 minutes ago, oaicart said:

Have you tried 97pt Rey + LeiaCova + R5Kaz?

That's what I want to try, as soon as I get around to buying a Fireball. Cova's just a bunch of fun, really different feeling ship.

8 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Why 97pt Rey?

45 points for Kaz with Heroic and R5, 58 for Cova with Heroic, R4, and Leia, and it'll work out exactly to... 97 points remaining. I personally feel like I'd rather compromise Stealth Device than the rest.

I know Stealth Device is has potential to be great, but I don't have the knack of proper range control, so it always pops early on me.

7 minutes ago, theBitterFig said:

45 points for Kaz with Heroic and R5, 58 for Cova with Heroic, R4, and Leia, and it'll work out exactly to... 97 points remaining. I personally feel like I'd rather compromise Stealth Device than the rest.

I know Stealth Device is has potential to be great, but I don't have the knack of proper range control, so it always pops early on me.

I don't think Heroic and R4 on cova are that important. Definitely not heroic. And Kaz can also survive without it. So for me, 101pt Rey it is.

But I get your point.

3 hours ago, theBitterFig said:

I was thinking the same, but I'm not sure if R4 or the bid.

I see how good is stealth device on Rey, I staple it to her everytime I can, but it really pops easy for me too.

Actually I can't decide... that's why i seek answer on the Internet, I'm the only Resistance player in my shop, everyone is playing Boba and FO here.

Edited by oaicart
4 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

I don't think Heroic and R4 on cova are that important. Definitely not heroic. And Kaz can also survive without it. So for me, 101pt Rey it is.

But I get your point.

That's fair.

I just see an 8 Health ship with essentially 2 green dice and think... "Heroic is amazing here." Dying slow is the entire point of the surprisingly-valid Heroic/Hull Red Vets.

For Kaz, seems like a bit of insurance for when he takes a card or two from low-init enemies. Necessary? Not really.

I just figure, if I'm going to mess up Stealth Device and it's "just" a shield upgrade, I'd rather have more toys.

59 minutes ago, oaicart said:

I was thinking the same, but I'm not sure if R4 or the bid.

What I like about R4 is that it opens up both Cova and Leia a bit. Pull the 1-hard, and can use Leia on Rey or Kaz, or just Lock/Force for double mods when Cova's got a good shot. That said, in my last Cova game, I just chained reverses and stops once into the actual fighting, and never used the 1-Hard.

Meanwhile, I guess I just haven't minded Rey going first. She gets a lot out of knowing she can fully execute her moves, both flipping on the S-Loop, and using Korr Sella. I messed that up in a game or two, bumping and improperly removing all stress tokens. To be sure, going second is nice for range control and adapting, but my early impression is that I'm not totally lost if I'm moving first.

Edited by theBitterFig

Hey all,

So I have played a couple of games now with Rey 101, Zizi, Lulo both with Heroic/AO and not only had a great time but lots of success. I lose Rey early most matches but by then I have done enough damage for the Awings to clean up - total side bar but Fly better had a guy on who played Rey, Cova and Zizi but sadly didn't talk about it.

2 hours ago, mattcogg81 said:

Hey all,

So I have played a couple of games now with Rey 101, Zizi, Lulo both with Heroic/AO and not only had a great time but lots of success. I lose Rey early most matches but by then I have done enough damage for the Awings to clean up - total side bar but Fly better had a guy on who played Rey, Cova and Zizi but sadly didn't talk about it.

Yeah I'm still firmly in camp of "either AA or KazA over Cova with anything". I love Cova with all my heart but getting two hard to catch hard to kill ships that can move is more important to me. And the bid as well. With 195 that I run I have yet to be outbid by a list that doesn't include Boba.

Yeah the bid has been brilliant for me so many times against I5s

Do you guys think one list is easier than the other? 2A, KazA, CovaZizi, or CovaKaz?

I have experience Kaz + an A and Rey and found all the I5s is nice! I like that it can be quite offensive in a way with the 2As so more attack minded but you can also be quite defensive if needed. Cova makes my brain hurt and I can't think that far ahead some times but that is just me I think!

6 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Do you guys think one list is easier than the other? 2A, KazA, CovaZizi, or CovaKaz?

To me the most forgiving of wingmaates is as follows:

1) Zizi. Easiest to fly, easiest to save but has the lowest celling.

2) Cova. Easy to fly, makes everything better around her but costs a bit too much to get a bid in and a competent wingman.

3) Kaz. Cheap, dependant and efficient. But a badly flown Kaz dies easily. Higher celling than the two before.

4) Lulu. High risk High reward. Soontir of Resistance.

But to me it is solved. I love Kaz, Lulu and Rey. I love the messed up target priority, I love the bid, I love the way the complement each other and the knowledge I can trade any of them and the rest can pick up the slack.

I don't think its THE right choice, but it's the right choice for me.

Anyone messed around with a plain logistics pilot with 3PO and then Rey with 4CO to get the calculate action? This way Rey can be coordinated globally. With an engine upgrade you wouldn't really need Korr Sella. I haven't tried it, but it at least sounds fun even if it isnt as good as the other Rey. It opens up some really good action economy for Rey and also being able to boost before moving is always janky fun. 106pt Rey and 38 point logistics pilot leaves 56 points for a wingman still.

Slight digression.

Is Thicc Rey + Proton Torpedo Poe the most fun way to ruin a BobaFenn meta chasers day? 19 points of bid means no viable build is going after you. Its not a balanced list but its definitely a fun way to remind some overeager players that there always is a bigger fish.

On 3/14/2020 at 7:25 PM, Flurpy said:

Slight digression.

Is Thicc Rey + Proton Torpedo Poe the most fun way to ruin a BobaFenn meta chasers day? 19 points of bid means no viable build is going after you. Its not a balanced list but its definitely a fun way to remind some overeager players that there always is a bigger fish.

Maybe, but fenn can play without initiative (4 fangs players had done that until last point changes with success) and this is particularly true against poe who needs to close wings for barrel rolling out of arc.

But the biggest issue is that you need to sacrifice your firstborn in order to get paired with mostly boba fenn for a whole extended tournament and it seems pretty unlikely to happen.

And could rey really win a joust against Boba?

1 hour ago, Sunitsa said:

Rey doesn't need to win the joust against Boba, when Boba is moving first, you can just orbit him at Range 2, boosting out of his arcs, or trading at Range 3. Also, Poe would definitely save one of those Torps to use on Boba once his shields are down.

3 hours ago, Sunitsa said:

Maybe, but fenn can play without initiative (4 fangs players had done that until last point changes with success) and this is particularly true against poe who needs to close wings for barrel rolling out of arc.

But the biggest issue is that you need to sacrifice your firstborn in order to get paired with mostly boba fenn for a whole extended tournament and it seems pretty unlikely to happen.

No no no. No tournament. More like that one annoying dude at the local shop who thinks he's hot **** for flying BobbaFenn. This list is for him. It would get crushed in a tournament.

But yeah Rey can joust Boba if she is moving second. Game four of Sunday in UK. It was full health Bobba vs full health Rey. Rey was moving second. I don't think he managed to remove shields before he died.

Edited by Flurpy

Ok..... So, super long thread. I read the first page, skimmed the rest. So sorry if this has been said or is against topic.

BUT

I’ve been intrigued with side arc Rey.

I’ve flown a lot of Decimator and Falcon and learned the golden rule of action economy with a large base ships: never move your turret arcs and bank around shooting things.

I love the T-70 and wanted them in a list with Rey. Soooo, what about Naked Rey?!? (sorry if that’s inappropriate). I mean 2 force, I5, 11 HP, her ability can still proc occasionally, take a TL and have double modded dice. She’s pretty decent for only 70 points. And the biggest benefit— she doesn’t have to fly at the enemy to play anymore. Also a good counter against Fangs and Boba who love range 1.

(70) Rey [Scavenged YT-1300]

(44) Red Squadron Expert [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Jamming Beam
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
(5) Pattern Analyzer

(44) Red Squadron Expert [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Jamming Beam
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic
(5) Pattern Analyzer

(29) Finn [Resistance Transport Pod]
(1) Heroic

Total points: 200

Or you can throw in an awing. But I like flying this list. I always bait the joust with Rey. Set up right across from the other force then two hard and begin the gentle loops around the fight.

Don’t know how meta viable... 🤷‍♂️

51 minutes ago, JBFancourt said:

Ok..... So, super long thread. I read the first page, skimmed the rest. So sorry if this has been said or is against topic.

I love the T-70 and wanted them in a list with Rey. Soooo, what about Naked Rey?!? (sorry if that’s inappropriate). I mean 2 force, I5, 11 HP, her ability can still proc occasionally, take a TL and have double modded dice.

First off, the Rey list I've been flying some of now and again is a pair of Heroic/Optics Red Experts along with a standard Rey. I figure the Reds will have better-than-expected punching power if ignored and safely able to spend their focus tokens offensively, roughly the same as an Outmaneuver Red would have, but without having to actually outmaneuver folks. I found it rather pleasant, having some simple hitting ships that I don't really have to think about.

//

I think there was some discussion of plain Rey (I know naked gets used for a lot of ships, but the term does feel a little skeevy when applied some pilots...), simply putting her into a 4-ship Resistance, but I think folks reported mediocre results. Her bag of tricks can be pretty strong, and I think a lot of folks really preferred having it. To each their own, but it's also worth seeing what experiences other folks have had.

//

I guess for me, I don't know why I'd fly a no-upgrades Rey. Sure, the force. But then I just start to compare her to, say, flying Leia and 3 T-65s, and I think I'd rather fly the Rebels. Different faction, so mileage may vary.

If I really wanted to side-arc Resistance, I'd consider Rey gunner. If the Pattern Analyzers are cut-able (personally, I prefer Optics or Hull, but we all take our coffee differently), you could swap to Han with Rey Gunner. He's got flexible deployment (no clue how I'd try to leverage it, however), but gains initiative, and Rey gunner's ability is amazing.

Chewie with Rey gunner and Rose instead of Finn gives you 6 points, for BB Astromechs or Tractor Beams on the X-Wings, or C-3PO on Rose. Ooh. Rose with C-3PO seems fun. Hopefully enough, Calc for an eyeball, and someone else gets double-mods. Say... I kinda like that. She makes an interesting disposable buff bot, who might be surprisingly annoying to kill, and once accomplished Chewie might get a bonus attack.

//

I dunno. I just look at plain Rey and I think I'd rather have something more distinctive within the faction. But I guess Finn is pretty interesting, and the Tech slot on the T-70 is something most ships don't have.

Oh well its a quarantine here anyway, not like we have anything else to do.

Since you mentioned Naked Rey( yeah no the name feels wierd) here's something that fits.

Rey

3* Blue Squadron Rookie with BB Astromech.

Basically take what @gennataos is doing with Poe + 3 BSR and then switch Poe for Rey. It might be fun to fly and it has a ton of health.

I like this, I had a ton of fun flying Rey + Ello + Nien. might have to give Rey 3x Blues a go for a laugh. It's all about the jankier squads for me at the moments.

4 minutes ago, Sk3tch said:

I like this, I had a ton of fun flying Rey + Ello + Nien. might have to give Rey 3x Blues a go for a laugh. It's all about the jankier squads for me at the moments.

Same, I spend my X-Wing playing days flying 7 Fireballs in Fly Casual and quietly sobbing while touching the screen.

27 minutes ago, Flurpy said:

Same, I spend my X-Wing playing days flying 7 Fireballs in Fly Casual and quietly sobbing while touching the screen.

I'm getting the odd Vassal game in with the group but this month I though what a good opportunity to buy so other non X-Wing games for me and the missus.

I do miss the banter at the store though.

27 minutes ago, Sk3tch said:

I'm getting the odd Vassal game in with the group but this month I though what a good opportunity to buy so other non X-Wing games for me and the missus.

I do miss the banter at the store though.

Yep so far Ive painted a Blood Bowl team, a Warcry starter set and currently in the process of buying a Legion Clone Wars Core Set and finished a Warhammer Underworlds band. The Quarantine has been a productive one