Finding Rey a wing-man for the prom

By Flurpy, in X-Wing Squad Lists

4 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

Oh. Duh. Didn't read/remember that because I had never considered missiles on Rey before. I agree with the side arc. One game I rotated to finish off limping Mace (already had a lock), and that was worth it. But I think that was the only rotate so far. Interestingly, I didn't have to rotate back in that game and instead had it happen several times that the target was in both front and side arcs...

I probably rotate arc once every 3rd or 4th game for a pretty clear reason like you did to finish Mace, not just "I want a shot"! I've found a boost can often give me a shot just as effectively as an arc rotate, usually with better position.

I have a List I'd like to throw out there for discussion... What do you think about this?

Rey (73)
Heightened Perception (3)
Korr Sella (6)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)
Rey's Millennium Falcon (5)
Ship total: 110 Half Points: 55 Threshold: 6

Ello Asty (56)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Ship total: 57 Half Points: 29 Threshold: 4

Vi Moradi (27)
Informant (5)
Ship total: 32 Half Points: 16 Threshold: 2
Total: 199

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZsZ200Z299X172WWW175WWWY244X72WW245W173W174WW166W193Y348XW37W&sn=Secrets&obs=

Ello gives you an ace (kinda) with a good amount of time on target with three dice. White Talon Rolls Rock.

Vi+Informant offers the potential to see two enemy dials each turn and a two die attack. Either he gets targeted and pulls shots away from your other ships or he gets to fly around uncontested looking at dials and poking with two dice.

First of all, I am happy this topic took off. Second of all, two new ships discussion:

1) The I5 A-Wing revealed today looks like a natural Tallie replacement in the Rey/Tallie/Lulo build. If I remember correctly he spends a charge to get a focus/evade after attacking/defending.

2) If the Fireball I5 is cheap enough, it should be able to fit in the list. Somewhere between the I5, R1-J5, Coaxium Hyperful, Advanced Slam and the Fireball Title lies a monster to be exploited

Edited by Flurpy
6 hours ago, Flurpy said:

First of all, I am happy this topic took off. Second of all, two new ships discussion:

1) The I5 A-Wing revealed today looks like a natural Tallie replacement in the Rey/Tallie/Lulo build. If I remember correctly he spends a charge to get a focus after attacking.

2) If the Fireball I5 is cheap enough, it should be able to fit in the list. Somewhere between the I5, R1-J5, Coaxium Hyperful, Advanced Slam and the Fireball Title lies a monster to be exploited

Was the Fireball title shown? Also I think the cost of the Fireball will either be in the price range of A-Wings or between them and the T-70s.

1 hour ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

Was the Fireball title shown? Also I think the cost of the Fireball will either be in the price range of A-Wings or between them and the T-70s.

I remember a spoiled image somewhere which basically said you get to choose which damage card to flip up when using the ships ability.

I lost all four games I played last night with Rey/Poe. Yeesh. Pretty much every game I'm ahead in the damage race and/or have good position, but things fall apart. Poe is definitely the weak link, but I'm pretty committed to him and my version of him. I think I'm stressing him too much, which puts him in a position to be bullied and then he has a really hard time turning around to get back into the fight. Boy, do I love playing the list, though. I've racked up so many losses with it, I'm just about past the pain of losing and fully on to acceptance. That also might be part of the problem, because I'm not carefully considering each decision. I'm just kind of "doing stuff" sometimes.

7 hours ago, gennataos said:

I lost all four games I played last night with Rey/Poe. Yeesh. Pretty much every game I'm ahead in the damage race and/or have good position, but things fall apart. Poe is definitely the weak link, but I'm pretty committed to him and my version of him. I think I'm stressing him too much, which puts him in a position to be bullied and then he has a really hard time turning around to get back into the fight. Boy, do I love playing the list, though. I've racked up so many losses with it, I'm just about past the pain of losing and fully on to acceptance. That also might be part of the problem, because I'm not carefully considering each decision. I'm just kind of "doing stuff" sometimes.

You touched on the primary reason why I dont like Poe here. He has a hard time turning around and getting back in to the fight. Thats why I feel he is best with 3 A Wings where he plays a different role

1 hour ago, Flurpy said:

You touched on the primary reason why I dont like Poe here. He has a hard time turning around and getting back in to the fight. Thats why I feel he is best with 3 A Wings where he plays a different role

It’s okay, I’ll die on this hill alone (a lot).

Edited by gennataos
15 minutes ago, gennataos said:

It’s okay, I’ll die on this hill alone (a lot).

LrUn.gif

11 hours ago, gennataos said:

. I think I'm stressing him too much, which puts him in a position to be bullied and then he has a really hard time turning around to get back into the fight.

Yeah, I've personally boiled him down to two builds, namely, "hit and run double mod Torps" or "BB8 can't catch me but I'm really not doing much but hopefully you still waste time chasing me but the rest of my squad is kind junk but this is really fun" ... builds.

Argh.

But mad props anyway, dude.

ahaha, tried another game with Rey Poe. I forgot that I have black one, and instead of arcdodging (and baiting everyone) I lost Poe. Called it right there.

Setup:

ZxIiUU8.png

Turn 3 where he just barely missed the block, and I also missed mine. Poe arcdodged everyone except Tavson, who got the 2.8% chance result of dealing 3 damage...

bM9JPUs.png

Turn 4 that happened, with roll left and boost left:

zi6PnUw.png

Turn 4 if I don't forget black one for a 2straight + boost left:

QdiTt1F.png

It's a frustrating list, I have to say.

Who had first player and who placed what obstacles?

11 hours ago, gennataos said:

Who had first player and who placed what obstacles?

He had first player. I think I put the two clouds into the corner (don't want them for his Kylo). My third was a debris, the center board one I think.

I've flown a bit of SUDDENLY REY (a.k.a. A Wild Rey Appears!). I stacked movement abilities on Han to help him keep the chase going while waiting for Rey, then put Leia and Finn on Rey.

It's proved to be the best of the SUDDENLY lists I tried. That said, you still have to be super cagey with Han and his offense is minimal for his cost. Rey is still on a strict limit on the shots she can survive. It's unlike anything else out there, though. Haven't tried it against Sear swarms or anything like that.

3 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

He had first player. I think I put the two clouds into the corner (don't want them for his Kylo). My third was a debris, the center board one I think.

Debris center is kind of ideal. I’d argue anything not debris, you want to try to corner on your side. Rey needs as much freedom of movement as possible.

4 hours ago, gennataos said:

Debris center is kind of ideal. I’d argue anything not debris, you want to try to corner on your side. Rey needs as much freedom of movement as possible.

So the obstacles would be ok if I was on the other side?

3 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

So the obstacles would be ok if I was on the other side?

If I was playing that game, I'd prefer sides flipped, yeah. At least for the way I play her. I like to be able to boost pretty much at any time if at all possible and I'm seldom back down in my deployment area after I leave it. A cloud in the way can be fine sometimes, but I'd rather have the boost available.

Edited by gennataos

Ok got some games in this week, probably last before the point change.

God **** I am starting to understand why people like aces. For the record I never flew competitive aces, my 2.0 tournament trajectory went Roark/Dash > Rebel Beef > Reistance Efficiency. The closest I came to aces was when I tested Herra/Luke/Norra which now that I think about it is kinda the same idea this list is looking for.

I have never been more frustrated and had more fun that this week. Every single **** roll matters, every single boost is an agonizing decision that can end the game right there. On the other hand getting that perfect arc dodge is such a good feeling. I kept thinking how cool it would be if my A-Wings had more health and did more damage. Then I realized that's basically what the Jedi are. As someone who is used to flying against them, I finally get why flying them is so gosh darn fun.

I also realized I suck at X-Wing. I can't range control, I can't place obstacles, I can't run for time, I don't know when to disengage and it's beautiful. Most fun I had in forever.

Enough rambling. Here are some thought.

- Lulo/Tallie outperform everything else. By a significant margin, maybe it's my lack of skill but I can't imagine trading the two hyperactive squirrels for Poe.

- if Zizi drops and its cheap enough that's a game changer. If Thicc Rey, Advanced Optics/Heroic Lulu and Advanced Optics/Heroic Zizi fit into 200 points, that's the list that will start making waves even outside our little hopeless endeavour.

- Contraband Cybernetics is more of a safety net than it's really useful. Another training wheel I need to take off and learn to fly better.

- Sense on the other hand is a godsend for blocking given how agile the A are

- Tallies only saving grace is her I5. But on the other hand having all 3 ships be I5 let's us do some nice switching of activations to get out of each others way.

- @gennataos that's interesting what you said about obstacles. My go to setup for obstacles is to create a mess in the center and then circle it with the As going on one side and Rey on the other. Then try to bait with whichever side the opponent choose to commit to and drag them through the rocks with it while the other side flanks. I am doing this wrong?

I really like Greer instead of L'ulo, her time on target is awesome, and L'ulo is pretty expensive.

Also I play Rey with Cybernetics, Stealth Device and Heightened Perception (in addition to the usual crew/gunner/title)... maybe a bit too fat.

Just one month playing the game though, so I'm not sure about anything. Just hoooooow fun Rey is.

2 hours ago, Flurpy said:

I have never been more frustrated and had more fun that this week. Every single **** roll matters, every single boost is an agonizing decision that can end the game right there.

Haha, yep....that's kind of why I keep playing it. Most games I lose, they hinge on one decision.

2 hours ago, Flurpy said:

I kept thinking how cool it would be if my A-Wings had more health and did more damage.

Lulo/Tallie outperform everything else. By a significant margin, maybe it's my lack of skill but I can't imagine trading the two hyperactive squirrels for Poe.

I like Poe (beside my obvious bias) mainly for the reasons you stated above (and more). I've found when playing against a lot of green dice, single-modded 3 and 2 die attacks just don't cut it unless there are a ton of them. Plus I really like the I6.

3 hours ago, Flurpy said:

@gennataos that's interesting what you said about obstacles. My go to setup for obstacles is to create a mess in the center and then circle it with the As going on one side and Rey on the other. Then try to bait with whichever side the opponent choose to commit to and drag them through the rocks with it while the other side flanks. I am doing this wrong?

I'm not sure. I'm hesitant to put myself out there as some sort of expert...I've not done anything with it. I've played it a lot, but I've only taken it to one small 3-round kit tourney where I couldn't make the first round, lost the second (hinging on one mistake, probably) and won my last. Not a glorious resume, hah. My advice about obstacles comes purely from Rey with Korr/title is mechanically a little broken and Primed Thrusters Poe can exploit them as well. So whatever I say may be completely wrong!

I don't find myself coming back to my deployment zone very often, which is why I like the "bad for me" obstacles on my side. I like to have at least one debris in the middle and other obstacles kind of loosely clustered in the middle. I need room for Poe to BB-8, so I don't want to make things too tight. A-Wings would be fine with a tighter cluster. Splitting Rey and whatever else you bring is probably 100% correct, because you really need the opposition to commit one way or another.

Circling back to the A-Wings vs. Poe...I honestly think the A-Wings might be better against a lot of stuff, but are demonstrably worse against aces. I'd like to hear how your games go against Imperial and Republic aces.

I have been blessed with my main playing partner being probably the greatest Soontir pilot I have ever seen, he sucks at everything else and is way inconsistent at major tournament but pure Imperial massive bid ace lists he plays like no one else, so I am pretty used to playing against Imperial aces.

We did fly two games last week, he won one and I lost one, and the one I lost I know for a fact I lost because I flew worse. Against Thicc Rey aces aren't that big of a deal. Similar to how Thicc Rey loses against Swarm if she makes a mistake, so do aces against Thicc Rey. For example he misjudged just one turn with Duchess and Ductchess got deleted by Rey.

So yeah I think Poe is better against aces but Rey doesn't need help there, she needs help everywhere else. That's also a reason why I like Sense so much on her.

Maybe it's the newbie inside of me, but 2 As have been way more consistent at doing damage than Poe when I was using him. They always hit for 1-2, always.

And I agree on the Aces matchup, I play vs a friend that always plays Imperial and FO i6s, and Heightened Perception really screws him. I guess Sense works too...

When discussions get specific to local metas and/or personal experiences and playing partners, it’s hard for us to do anything more than shrug at each other. I’d say do what works for you until it doesn’t.

Instead of beefing up Rey, i have had good sucess with adding more and better wingmen. At the moment im playing this one:

Rey (73)

Finn (29)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)
Perceptive Copilot (8)

Greer Sonnel (36)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Tallissan Lintra (36)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Total: 197

Got one more game in with this list:

• Poe Dameron (88) , Heroic (1) , R4 Astromech (2) , Afterburners (6) , Integrated S-Foils (0) , Pattern Analyzer (5) , Black One (2) , Heavy Laser Cannon (4)
  • Rey (110) , Heightened Perception (3) , Rose Tico (9) , Korr Sella (6) , Finn (10) , Stealth Device (4) , Rey’s Millennium Falcon (5)
  • Total: 198 View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Setup. I had first player and set the middle two debris plus the western asteroid.

6HXOyqG.png

Against Vader Duchess Deathrain, which is btw a cool list. DBM and APT on Deathrain had me swallow hard for a moment. Obviously I need to take out Vader. But then again, do I? First? Deathrain should be removed ASAP without getting an APT off, and Duchess should die rather quickly against both my ships as I apparently have a 50% chance to take her out in one round, and that's without any HLC or range 1 shots. So what if I ignore Vader for the beginning? And instead take out the other two as fast as I can? 3 turns of shots should be enough for that.

A story in 4 turns.

Turn 1: 3s for Rey, 4s+boost for Poe. His Duchess did a bait and run, Deathrain came in slower than I expected. Rey has the option to go nearly anywhere here, but...

zKTW547.png

Turn 2: ... I kind of forgot that. So I went 3bank left, 1bank boost right. That just so fit past the rock (large base beginner's luck!). With the result that Rey rolled 2greens against both attacks, for 3 evades total. In return, Poe had a double modified against Duchess - who only rolled ffb. So half Duchess for 2s on Rey, that was an amazing trade for me. But I think, even if it was 3s or 3s1h, I would have taken that.

iAHcw6j.png

Turn 3: He forgot about the sloop. At this point it's obvious to me. Duchess (missing already, as I was late taking the picture) blocked Poe. I had a 2bank dialled in first and changed it last second to a 1bank as I didn't expect him to block, because a blocked Poe means a dead Duchess. Poe lost 2s against Vader (3v4), did nothing to Deathrain. Rey got 3h1c using a lock and a force, and that's it for any Striker on 2 hull. We talked about it after the game and he'd rather have banked left and ran away. Vader, btw, wanted to roll right. But he was afraid of getting into the HLC. We saw later that it wasn't really close. Not rolling put him in a bad spot for the next turn.

ff0tS6A.png

Turn 4: Deathrain dropped another seismic (-1s on Poe and Deathrain), and ran away. Rey did her 1straight to get rid of stress, and locked the punisher. Poe took a 4k with PA and afterburnered into range 1. I just saw now that you can use PA+ability for a double stress. I think that would have been a correct choice to ensure the kill. But Afterburners was crucial here. Vader took a 5s over debris. Anything else would have been blocked and/or in arc of Rey. The result was that I got all remaining 8 health of Deathrain due to a direct hit. The chance to deal 8 with dice was at 36%, whereas the most likely 7 damage happened (and you'd expect a bit more than 1 crit - I nattied 3...)

ZQn01wl.png

He called it there because I had lost 3s on Poe and 2s on Rey. That's an uphill battle, even for Vader. GG!

Edited by GreenDragoon