Finding Rey a wing-man for the prom

By Flurpy, in X-Wing Squad Lists

I think this will be my last attempt on the Rey/Poe/+1 archetype. I don't disagree that Poe is still a little overcosted. I think he can work really good in some archetypes (Poe +3), but there's still a need for a few more points to build a good squad for this archetype with minimal sacrifices. Kaz basically having to punt against I1s, though, that feels bad.

Poe Dameron (67)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)
Rey’s Millennium Falcon (2)

Kazuda Xiono (40)
Heroic (1)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

So...if my beloved Poe doesn't seem to work, what next? This now fits...

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)

Ello Asty (55)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Nien Nunb (55)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Total: 199

And this...

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Korr Sella (6)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)

Ello Asty (55)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

L’ulo L’ampar (43)
Heroic (1)

Or just return to @Flurpy 's list? It's a point cheaper. Maybe removed Crack Shot for more bid and/or Contraband on Kaz?

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Korr Sella (6)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)

L’ulo L’ampar (43)
Heroic (1)
Crack Shot (2)
Advanced Optics (4)

Kazuda Xiono (40)
Heroic (1)
R5 Astromech (4)
Total: 194

Also..

On 12/29/2019 at 9:08 AM, Boom Owl said:

Hey! Lets say Rey with Korr/Title/Finn sees a 2 pt total reduction and for some reason Kazuda ends up 36 pts semi randomly. I think I would be in on Poe Rey Kazuda at 200 pts. Seems fun at least.

Might be worth testing R4 Poe, Rey, Naked Greer in anticipation of some room freeing up. 3 ship rey cant be bad forever right?

Look, @Boom Owl ! Poe/Rey/Kaz does fit now! Mostly...?

Edited by gennataos

Also, this got a point cheaper so you can fit in one more Heroic. I really liked this list, but I'd need to fly it against stuff moving after it to get a real idea of what it can do.

Rey (68)

L’ulo L’ampar (43)
Heroic (1)

Zizi Tlo (41)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Tallissan Lintra (36)
Advanced Optics (4)

@theBitterFig beat me to the Bastian suggestion, and I think he can work.

I've been trying to fit both Rey & Poe in here but haven't been happy with the results. I tried Rey/Poe/Kaz last night, and while I made the typical mistakes that I make the first time flying a new combo, something wasn't clicking. So with apologies to @gennataos (who knows I want to fly Poe but I keep finding myself not being good enough), I think @Mattcogg may be on the right track. Instead of trying to make the two of them work together simply because they both dropped in points, I decided to focus on just Rey.

So we know that Rey/Finn/Rose/Title (89) is a solid build that does good work. Start there.

Personally, I've won a lot of games with CovaLeia. She fits my play style but may not be for everyone. She can be effective on her own while also helping another ship at a key moment. So Cova, Leia, R4, Heroic (58) goes in next. (R4 isn't strictly required on CovaLeia but when you can afford it take it as it opens up your Leia options significantly.)

That leaves 53 points. I'm looking for a ship that can either keep up with Rey or slow roll with Cova and can be an offensive threat. The versatility of a T70 seems right for this slot. 53 points gets you any of I1-I4 pilots. I'd argue that Jess & Bastian are hands down the 2 best of the group. I love Jess, but with only 2 other ships that might not be flying close to each other her ability may be less useful. (Worth testing though.) Bastian...he's just so effective. People tend to shoot him first, which is fine as it takes the heat off the other ships and he usually won't die in the first round of shooting. He can hit hard, and with both Rey & Cova shooting before him and dealing out good damage he's likely to get his lock. R4 is almost stapled to my T70s, so Bastian, R4 (49).

There's 4 points left that can be used a number of ways. Bid, Shield/Hull for Rey or Cova, Cannon for Cova or Bastian, Freelance Slicer can work well with Rose. Not sure yet.

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)
Rey's Millennium Falcon (2)
Ship total: 89

Cova Nell (38)
Heroic (1)
Leia Organa (Resistance) (17)
R4 Astromech (2)
Ship total: 58

Lieutenant Bastian (47)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Ship total: 49

Total: 196

4 minutes ago, Mistborn_Jedi said:

@theBitterFig beat me to the Bastian suggestion, and I think he can work.

I've been trying to fit both Rey & Poe in here but haven't been happy with the results. I tried Rey/Poe/Kaz last night, and while I made the typical mistakes that I make the first time flying a new combo, something wasn't clicking. So with apologies to @gennataos (who knows I want to fly Poe but I keep finding myself not being good enough), I think @Mattcogg may be on the right track. Instead of trying to make the two of them work together simply because they both dropped in points, I decided to focus on just Rey.

So we know that Rey/Finn/Rose/Title (89) is a solid build that does good work. Start there.

Personally, I've won a lot of games with CovaLeia. She fits my play style but may not be for everyone. She can be effective on her own while also helping another ship at a key moment. So Cova, Leia, R4, Heroic (58) goes in next. (R4 isn't strictly required on CovaLeia but when you can afford it take it as it opens up your Leia options significantly.)

That leaves 53 points. I'm looking for a ship that can either keep up with Rey or slow roll with Cova and can be an offensive threat. The versatility of a T70 seems right for this slot. 53 points gets you any of I1-I4 pilots. I'd argue that Jess & Bastian are hands down the 2 best of the group. I love Jess, but with only 2 other ships that might not be flying close to each other her ability may be less useful. (Worth testing though.) Bastian...he's just so effective. People tend to shoot him first, which is fine as it takes the heat off the other ships and he usually won't die in the first round of shooting. He can hit hard, and with both Rey & Cova shooting before him and dealing out good damage he's likely to get his lock. R4 is almost stapled to my T70s, so Bastian, R4 (49).

There's 4 points left that can be used a number of ways. Bid, Shield/Hull for Rey or Cova, Cannon for Cova or Bastian, Freelance Slicer can work well with Rose. Not sure yet.

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)
Ship total: 89

Cova Nell (38)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Ship total: 58

Lieutenant Bastian (47)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Ship total: 49

I like all of this aside from the R4 on Bastian. Why do you consider them stapled on T-70s?

I'm a big fan of this. I'm going to try this out later.

Rey (68)
Korr Sella (6)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)

Ship total: 95 Half Points: 48 Threshold: 6

Cova Nell (38)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)

Ship total: 58 Half Points: 29 Threshold: 4

Lieutenant Bastian (47)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 47 Half Points: 24 Threshold: 4

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZsZ200Z244XWW245W173W174WWW193Y351X172WWWW244WW5WY254XWW175WWW&sn=Cova Zizi Rey&obs=

9 minutes ago, Mattcogg said:

I'm a big fan of this. I'm going to try this out later.

Rey (68)
Korr Sella (6)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)

Ship total: 95 Half Points: 48 Threshold: 6

Cova Nell (38)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)

Ship total: 58 Half Points: 29 Threshold: 4

Lieutenant Bastian (47)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Ship total: 47 Half Points: 24 Threshold: 4

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0: https://raithos.github.io/?f=Resistance&d=v8ZsZ200Z244XWW245W173W174WWW193Y351X172WWWW244WW5WY254XWW175WWW&sn=Cova Zizi Rey&obs=

I like it, too. I guess the big question is if it's better than the more traditional Cova/Kaz/Jess/Bastian jouster list.

@Flurpy who plays that jank anymore?

1 minute ago, Mattcogg said:

@Flurpy who plays that jank anymore?

Well I still maintain it's an A list that can get lucky and place good, I just got bored by it :D

59 minutes ago, gennataos said:

I like all of this aside from the R4 on Bastian. Why do you consider them stapled on T-70s?

I find that Blue 2 Hard to be one of the most useful moves for a T70, and use it nearly every game. I'm know I'm going to be stressing these things with Tallons or Ks and having the option to hard turn after is awesome. <shrug> Maybe it's just a style thing for me.

Leia on Cova will fix this!

True, but 90% of time Cova wants to use Leia on herself in my experience.

Oh yeah for sure. 1 hard for days though.

8 hours ago, theBitterFig said:
  • Poe (Heroic) 68
  • Rey (Finn) 78
  • Bastian (M9-G8) 54

I'm sure it's bad. Bastian can't really be worth 54 points, but with that M9-G8 Lock starting off on Rey, you'll have solid mods even without a natural Lock on Rey.

Yeah... It's probably bad. I could just bring R5 Kaz or a Heroic Red or L'ulo, and take Rose on Rey.

I really like the idea of M9 Bastian: that probably means he's going to act like a Biggs, but that's good since it's more health on Rey as long I don't suicide him pointlessly.

I think I'll try this:

Rey — Scavenged YT-1300 68
Rose Tico 9
Finn 10
Rey’s Millennium Falcon 2
Ship Total: 89
Lieutenant Bastian — T-70 X-Wing 47
M9-G8 7
Integrated S-Foils 0
Ship Total: 54
Cova Nell — Resistance Transport 38
Leia Organa 17
R4 Astromech 2
Ship Total: 57

Not having heroic on Cova hurts thought

6 hours ago, gennataos said:

I think this will be my last attempt on the Rey/Poe/+1 archetype. I don't disagree that Poe is still a little overcosted. I think he can work really good in some archetypes (Poe +3), but there's still a need for a few more points to build a good squad for this archetype with minimal sacrifices. Kaz basically having to punt against I1s, though, that feels bad.

Poe Dameron (67)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)

Kazuda Xiono (40)
Heroic (1)

Yeah I can see Rey and Poe actually work together, sadly I'm allergic to Kaz and there's not much else that fit there

So...if my beloved Poe doesn't seem to work, what next? This now fits...

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)

Ello Asty (55)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Nien Nunb (55)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

And this...

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Korr Sella (6)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)

Ello Asty (55)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

L’ulo L’ampar (43)
Heroic (1)

Going full ps 5 might be worth a try. You could also ditch SD on second list Rey for eithe PA nien or a good bid

Edited by Sunitsa

Got in a couple more games with the Rey/L'ulo/Zizi/Tallie list. I requested a friend run something moving after me, which ended up being 7B/R2 Obi and Plo and a naked Ric. It feels really, really good. I don't think I've lost a game with it and I don't think any of them have really been all that close. Strafing, side arc Rey is super good at this price point...she just takes locks and shoots stuff.

42 minutes ago, gennataos said:

Got in a couple more games with the Rey/L'ulo/Zizi/Tallie list. I requested a friend run something moving after me, which ended up being 7B/R2 Obi and Plo and a naked Ric. It feels really, really good. I don't think I've lost a game with it and I don't think any of them have really been all that close. Strafing, side arc Rey is super good at this price point...she just takes locks and shoots stuff.

So you're not using Rey to primarily shoot out the front arc?

59 minutes ago, arctic_rogue said:

So you're not using Rey to primarily shoot out the front arc?

Nope. Strafe and take locks.

I’m trying title Rey with 3 BB rookies, too.

Certainly not definitive since it's against a limited AI, but played 2 games of Rey/Cova/Bastian on Fly Casual and it feels good. Not sure that the Korr vs R4 on Bastian debate really matters much. Pick which one fits your style. Regular weekly game night on Wednesday where I plan to run this and will report back.

3 hours ago, gennataos said:

Nope. Strafe and take locks.

But if you do that, why not taking Han instead? Gives you another 5 points to play with.

Quick batrep to chime in with @Mistborn_Jedi with Rey, Cova and Bastian setup.

Played a game last night and won comprehensively against Darth Maul, DBS 404 and Sunfac Ensnare - got lucky with damage cards on Sunfac but on the whole the list was solid. Bastian was just solid and hit hard - Leia's contribution was amazing with change/co-ordinating and felt the list worked well together.

Also wanted to say Kor Sella was clutch for me - and has been in so many testing games - I went through a Holdo stage but I'm past that now - the crit deck does some to trigger a few stress mechanics and also some lists (Sloane) dish out stress. Doing a 3 hard blue and clearing all the stress just feels so good!

Who is going GSP Worlds maybe we can all take a squad type?

Edited by mattcogg81
update of info

I'm looking at this.

Nien Nunb (55)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Pattern Analyzer (5)

Ship total: 61 Half Points: 31 Threshold: 4

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)

Ship total: 89 Half Points: 45 Threshold: 6

Zizi Tlo (41)
Heroic (1)
Cluster Missiles (4)

Ship total: 46 Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

Cluster Missile Zizi is quite effective, target lock and then after the first attack get the focus for the bonus punch.

They're all I5 and your opponent doesn't really want to have any of these in the end game, which might take some of heat off of Rey. Ideally I'd rather be sending Zizi in first to try a mess up formations, get the rockets off and then let Nien and Rey come in as the hammer.

Still have 4 points to play with, may leave it with a bid but it's also advanced optics on Zizi or a couple of combinations on Nien. Alternatively strip cluster Missiles off of Zizi and give Nien plasma torps to add to his range punch. What do you think?

Edited by Tyhar7
8 hours ago, timely-peanut said:

But if you do that, why not taking Han instead? Gives you another 5 points to play with.

Her force is worth way more than 5 points, IMO.

15 hours ago, Tyhar7 said:

I'm looking at this.

Nien Nunb (55)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Pattern Analyzer (5)

Ship total: 61 Half Points: 31 Threshold: 4

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)

Ship total: 89 Half Points: 45 Threshold: 6

Zizi Tlo (41)
Heroic (1)
Cluster Missiles (4)

Ship total: 46 Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

Cluster Missile Zizi is quite effective, target lock and then after the first attack get the focus for the bonus punch.

They're all I5 and your opponent doesn't really want to have any of these in the end game, which might take some of heat off of Rey. Ideally I'd rather be sending Zizi in first to try a mess up formations, get the rockets off and then let Nien and Rey come in as the hammer.

Still have 4 points to play with, may leave it with a bid but it's also advanced optics on Zizi or a couple of combinations on Nien. Alternatively strip cluster Missiles off of Zizi and give Nien plasma torps to add to his range punch. What do you think?

I've was messing with something similar pre points, but had Holdo crew:

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Amilyn Holdo (8)
Finn (10)

Nien Nunb (55)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Zizi Tlo (41)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Zizi can fire first and get a focus/evade, and then Rey activates Holdo and takes Zizi's focus if need be, or can pass a stress token to Nien Numb to instantly get rid of it if he is range 1. Lots of tricks when they are all i5. Nien kturns sloops, gets a stress. Rey can pass him a focus and take his stress, then Nien can kturn/sloop again. Was having a lot of fun with the list.

I tried Lulo in zizi spot, cause I wanted Lulo to fire stressed with 3 dice, then rey activates and takes Lulo stress, and Lulo now has 3 green dice. But Rey and Lulo get a lot of stress, and Rey cant take a stress if she has a stress, so didnt work out to well.

13 hours ago, wurms said:

I've was messing with something similar pre points, but had Holdo crew:

Rey (68)
Rose Tico (9)
Amilyn Holdo (8)
Finn (10)

Nien Nunb (55)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

Zizi Tlo (41)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Zizi can fire first and get a focus/evade, and then Rey activates Holdo and takes Zizi's focus if need be, or can pass a stress token to Nien Numb to instantly get rid of it if he is range 1. Lots of tricks when they are all i5. Nien kturns sloops, gets a stress. Rey can pass him a focus and take his stress, then Nien can kturn/sloop again. Was having a lot of fun with the list.

I tried Lulo in zizi spot, cause I wanted Lulo to fire stressed with 3 dice, then rey activates and takes Lulo stress, and Lulo now has 3 green dice. But Rey and Lulo get a lot of stress, and Rey cant take a stress if she has a stress, so didnt work out to well.

Nice thoughts... Holdo can certainly be useful and fun in this list. I'd be more inclined to drop Advanced optics on Zizi and give Nien the PA, he works far more independently with that.

My main concern is Rey becomes a large points sponge with Holdo onboard as well, 97 points, half points 48. The idea I was going for was to make each ship an independent threat to take the heat off of Rey. With Holdo being onboard she becomes a linchpin in the list that you're opponent will be gunning for even more.

Sure looks like a lot of fun tho.

Edited by Tyhar7

This is the list I was playing today:

Rey (68)
Freelance Slicer (3)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)

Ship total: 92 Half Points: 46 Threshold: 6

Nien Nunb (55)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
Black One (2)

Ship total: 63 Half Points: 32 Threshold: 4

L'ulo L'ampar (43)
Heroic (1)

Ship total: 44 Half Points: 22 Threshold: 2

I played against an Scum list who was getting bonuses attacking against stressed enemies (Lando on the Falcon with title, Bosk with the Astro which changes hits to crits if you are stressed, 0-0-0....) and I must say it went without problem.

Rey with the slicer was just such a pain for my opponent. She ended up with 4 stress, going around the board facing opponents and punching damage through, Nien was doing his Talons and Koios, while repositioning to lose all stress and L'ulo was just being sneaky, getting behind the enemies trying to avoid getting shot and only going aggressive when it was safe.

I got the enemy ships killed and only lost half Rey and half Nien.

On 8/4/2020 at 12:11 AM, timely-peanut said:

I'm a fan of Han+ReyGunner, but genno is correct.

Her default force still wins out over Han's init at vanilla costs.

Han probably has a higher ceiling if you chub him with Rey and Leia crew, but that's another discussion.