Finding Rey a wing-man for the prom

By Flurpy, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Going a bit heretic here, but I just noticed that Rey came down a total of 12(!) in 2 years. So what if we keep her lean? This just so fits now:

Poe Dameron (67) , Heroic (1) , R4 Astromech (2) , Integrated S-Foils (0) , Black One (2)

Rey (68) , Rose Tico (9) , Finn (10)

Greer Sonnel (36) , Heroic (1) , Advanced Optics (4)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

I haven't tried it and I don't like Rey without Korr Sella. But also, a good third ship next to Rey Poe seems like something to think about.

E: and if you think about Han, down by 13 total, next to her... He with C3po +87pt Rey leaves exactly 44pt. Hey, Kaz, how are you?
Maybe even Chewie is an idea. There is a lot of hull to regen the free focus mod, so Han can take locks at i6.

Edited by GreenDragoon

Great minds think alike :D but whatever I come up with Poe is just sooo expensive and it painful to fit a third ship without stripping down somebody. For example.

(68) Rey [Scavenged YT-1300]

(9) Rose Tico
(10) Finn

(43) L'ulo L'ampar [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic

(67) Poe Dameron [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic

Total points: 199

All this feels too stripped down to work. On the other hand I have been toying around with another X-Wing and this makes me much happier.

68) Rey [Scavenged YT-1300]

(9) Rose Tico
(6) Korr Sella
(10) Finn
(2) Rey's Millennium Falcon

(1) Heroic
(4) Advanced Optics

(55) Ello Asty [T-70 X-wing]
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic

With even the option to drop AO on Lulu for a bid. But in general I feel once you start removing Korr and Title from Rey she drops in efficiency a ton and at that point it becomes a question of why bring her in the first place. On the other hand she dropped so much that maybe its time we start debating the use of Naked Rey ( I hate this acronyms, it makes me sounds like a neckbeard YouTube channel)

EDIT:

Bonus idea since I'm waiting for the BBQ to be done.

(2) R4 Astromech
(1) Heroic

(51) Cobalt Squadron Bomber [MG-100 StarFortress]
(5) Proton Bombs
(6) Trajectory Simulator

Total points: 200

Edited by Flurpy

I think Rey wants title in the same way Poe wants R4.

Then I built this.

(2) R4 Astromech
(1) Heroic

(6) Korr Sella
(10) Finn

(1) Heroic

And this...

(2) R4 Astromech
(1) Heroic
(2) Black One

(38) Cova Nell [Resistance Transport]
(2) R4 Astromech
(17) Leia Organa
(1) Heroic

I'll chip in with Kaz as the 3rd for Poe & Rey.

Poe Dameron (67)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Black One (2)
Ship total: 72

Rey (68)
Finn (10)
Rey's Millennium Falcon (2)

Kazuda Xiono (40)
Heroic (1)
R5 Astromech (4)
Ship total: 45

Total: 197

6 minutes ago, Mistborn_Jedi said:

Poe Dameron (67)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Black One (2)
Ship total: 72

Rey (68)
Finn (10)
Rey's Millennium Falcon (2)

Kazuda Xiono (40)
Heroic (1)
R5 Astromech (4)
Ship total: 45

Total: 197

Ooooh, do like!

God **** guys this opened up a world of possibilities didn't it. Oh well time to test all of them, thankfully I think Hyperspace is nailed on with Poe +3. This points cycle I will learn Poe even if it kills the both of us.

8 minutes ago, Flurpy said:

God **** guys this opened up a world of possibilities didn't it. Oh well time to test all of them, thankfully I think Hyperspace is nailed on with Poe +3. This points cycle I will learn Poe even if it kills the both of us.

I never kept my “201 point” lists, so I’m just now getting around to slotting in stuff. Rey +2, some Rey +3, definitely seems ripe for the choosing.

Edited by gennataos
2 hours ago, Mistborn_Jedi said:

I think I'd prefer korr sella over blackone and a heroic

You guys all removed Rose - which is probably the better idea than removing Korr+Title, now that I think about it. But what can I say, I'm also on the offensive, greedy side...

21 minutes ago, GreenDragoon said:

I think I'd prefer korr sella over blackone and a heroic

You guys all removed Rose - which is probably the better idea than removing Korr+Title, now that I think about it. But what can I say, I'm also on the offensive, greedy side...

Agreed on the Korr Sella part. This fits

Thicc Rey

(6) Korr Sella
(10) Finn

(2) R4 Astromech
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic

(40) Kazuda Xiono [Fireball]
(4) R5 Astromech

Its basically sacrifice Rose for a proper third ship which is definitely a big deal. But on the other hand CovaLeia might be interesting since it opens up both Poes and Reys dials a lot but would require a massive strip down of Rey.

Hmm leaning towards Kaz for now.

EDIT:

Then again hoow useful is Finn without Rose since you are paying a lot of points to spend Force with Finn while Rose gives you rerolls all the time. Might even switch out Finn for Rose.

Edited by Flurpy

But then I can't just bump and have my lock+double force anyway?!/s

I entirely agree, a proper third ship in the shap of Kaz sounds promising. Or, to turn it around, upgrading an Awing to Poe sounds strong.

Am I the only one who likes L'ulo still? How is R5 Kaz better than Heroic L'ulo?

[edit] - I know, situational, how Kaz can be better. But the only reason I ever took Kaz was it's a Hyperspace list and L'ulo isn't available.

Edited by gennataos
13 minutes ago, Flurpy said:

Then again how useful is Finn without Rose since you are paying a lot of points to spend Force with Finn while Rose gives you rerolls all the time. Might even switch out Finn for Rose.

Rose will ensure highly-modified attacks, but man...that 4-die gun is something people can't ignore. You make a good point, though. Both are probably well worth exploring.

Thinking on it more, a Finn version of Rey probably wants Korr to get actions, where as a Rose version of Rey probably doesn't care as much about Korr, yeah?

I'm now treating this thread like a Discord chat!

I'm...intrigued....by this defensive version.

Poe Dameron (67)
Heroic (1)
R4 Astromech (2)
Integrated S-Foils (0)
Black One (2)

Rey (68)
Freelance Slicer (3)
Rose Tico (9)
Rey’s Millennium Falcon (2)

Zizi Tlo (41)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)
Total: 200

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Sorry to break up this Poe party but I just still think he is still too expensive. As people have said when you strip Rey and Poe down they lose so much effectiveness. I'm running Rey, korr, Finn, rose, title and Cova/Leia/r4 and heroic and Zizi with heroic plus optics at the moment and being able to turn a three hard blue and clear all stress is lots of fun. I just don't think that Poe is worth 13 pts more than Ello or Nien. Now new Poe might be interesting!

6 minutes ago, Mattcogg said:

Sorry to break up this Poe party but I just still think he is still too expensive. As people have said when you strip Rey and Poe down they lose so much effectiveness. I'm running Rey, korr, Finn, rose, title and Cova/Leia/r4 and heroic and Zizi with heroic plus optics at the moment and being able to turn a three hard blue and clear all stress is lots of fun. I just don't think that Poe is worth 13 pts more than Ello or Nien. Now new Poe might be interesting!

I disagree, but I'm incredibly biased. Also, I don't even think title is required on Poe in many lists, can even be a trap at times, which is definitely a minority opinion, so I'm probably wrong a lot. ;)

Edited by gennataos

Well here is another curve ball for y'all.

Why do we use Korra and Title? Because we want to manage stress on Rey.

Why do we want to add CovaLeia to the list? Because Rey with Leia has a completely open dial.

Why do we want Cova to carry Leia? Because she offers an I4 3 dice gun.

If we combine all of the above. I present to you this.

(17) Leia Organa

(2) R4 Astromech
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic

(40) Kazuda Xiono [Fireball]
(4) R5 Astromech
(1) Heroic

The obvious drawback I see here is that Rey only regens one force per turn meaning she can't regen her ability and Leia. On the other hand with the average game having 11 turns how many times per game do you use Title/Korra while having Leia here opens up the dials for all three ships.

EDIT: or switch Kaz for Heroic Lulu. The idea is pretty much the same

DOUBLE EDIT BECAUSE ITS HAPPY HOUR HERE: Leia is per ship. So in theory you could have the ultimate "**** this I'm out" moment with this list and burn 3 force to get all three ship doing a red manouver. Rebel Leia style.

Edited by Flurpy

@Flurpy - Oh, I love the branching of more ideas! All are worth exploring.

I think I do probably use title basically half of the turns of a giveN game, Korr probably 2-4?

20 minutes ago, Flurpy said:

Leia is per ship. So in theory you could have the ultimate "**** this I'm out" moment with this list and burn 3 force to get all three ship doing a red manouver. Rebel Leia style.

I... never realized this... hmmm

I remember before Korra was available, how it just didn't work. Now, maybe Leia instead of Korra+Title is something, at +9 points cost. The equivalent of Rose.

Finn without Rose is mainly for when you had an offensive action (focus/lock). Boost to adjust arc only to get the extra die is usually not worth it - except that Rey has force, so that muddies the waters. In effect, Finn let's her hit like the truck I want her to be. That makes him stapled to her.

Rose provides a lot of extra. You simply don't need actions anymore, as you have reroll and focus mods. That not only frees up sloops but makes them a good idea.

The title is too cheap to pass on. Back to back sloops are amazing, and so is the the red boost after slooping.

Korr however is the one who lets you keep playing after you did the sloops, after you rightfully decided to take the red actions and maneuvers. But...

you don't need that if you do a white sloop. If you remove stress on 13 maneuvers.

you don't even need Rose if you don't bump and can take locks? I'm not sure because I bump anyway or get blocked, or because I want to use focus instead of force where possible.
But it feels like the 15pt of Korr+Rose might be replaced by the 17 of Leia.

3 hours ago, GreenDragoon said:

But it feels like the 15pt of Korr+Rose might be replaced by the 17 of Leia.

Yeah, I think Korr/Rose/title is a way better buy (on Rey) than Leia for 17 points.

Edited by gennataos

A couple thoughts after several TTS games with locals...

• Finn without Rose feels more like a threat than a real potential for damage. I think it's something like a .3-.4 increase to expected damage if you don't have a target lock, which Rey won't have a lot without Rose. Rose builds seem more and more like the correct choice.
  • Generally, when I try something like the transport (Cova) or a bomber, I just don't like it. I see the potential, but it requires a real "plan", and that's just not the sort of player I am. It makes me sad, because I'd like to be the kind of player that can bounce to stuff like that, but I'm just not. I like building kill boxes and I'm pretty good at it, I should probably stick with that.
  • Aside from the Cova/Leia squad, I don't think it matters a ton who the third ship is. They'll be ignored and be a target of opportunity, which I why I don't like Zizi in that slot. That third ship needs to do damage.
  • I don't think naked Rey or title-only Rey works well in a 3-ship list. The squad just doesn't do enough damage.

I went down a rabbit hole on Rey/Kaz/Poe and came back out with this:

Rey and Poe are Yeager Believers

(2) R4 Astromech
(0) Integrated S-foils
(1) Heroic

(9) Rose Tico
(10) Finn

(33) Jarek Yeager [Fireball]
(2) Coaxium Hyperfuel
(3) Intimidation
(2) Kaz's Fireball

Yeager flies around and slams into as many people as possible. Heck, his ability may even actually be useful as he can slam into a three hard or four straight. At i5 he should be able to pick some good targets. Rey and Poe nuke whatever he runs into. Is it good? Probably not! But the possibility to toss double modded 3-5 dice attacks into an intimidated target is an idea I’ll be exploring.

I was very excited by Rey getting cheaper, but in the end I'm not sure 2 points really make a difference since unless we start playing her naked with just title, you are pretty much left with the same wingmates options of before.

I still can't consider Poe a proper option since he's overcosted by at least 4 points, probably more. I can see reasons to play him with Rey if a decent 3rd ship would fit thought, since you are then offering 2 potential threat instead of just Rey.

I've played Rey without KorSella for a long time: while I think she opens up a lot of manouvrability (having actions while moving throught debris is imo stronger than removing all stress) she is less important than title and Finn/Rose package. You are just more often crit killed without her thought.

Leia on Rey is a big no from me: I've had some game against that and after one or two great turns, you are overpaying either Leia or Rey without even using it since the force dries out.

You want Rose because bumping is one of the greatest defense option you have, because you don't get actions while looping (unless Leia or cybernetic) and because even with Korsella, you will end up stressed more often than not. But most of all, if I'm playing Rey I need to maximize EVERY attack thus not having focus/lock/force is a huge risk (and also the reason I can't get behind the slicer: it would require more dice luck than I'm confortable with)

6 hours ago, gennataos said:

Aside from the Cova/Leia squad, I don't think it matters a ton who the third ship is. They'll be ignored and be a target of opportunity, which I why I don't like Zizi in that slot. That third ship needs to do damage.

This is very important to highlight. In the past I've had decent success with Bastian exactly because he tempted players to shoot at him, but he was lackluster in the aces matchup which ended to be my worst. But I'll probably try to throw him in the 3 ships mix now. Bastian and Lulo might be 2 good wingmates to take heat off Rey and still bear a punch when they don't

• Poe (Heroic) 68
  • Rey (Finn) 78
  • Bastian (M9-G8) 54

I'm sure it's bad. Bastian can't really be worth 54 points, but with that M9-G8 Lock starting off on Rey, you'll have solid mods even without a natural Lock on Rey.

Yeah... It's probably bad. I could just bring R5 Kaz or a Heroic Red or L'ulo, and take Rose on Rey.

Edited by theBitterFig