Finding Rey a wing-man for the prom

By Flurpy, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Great run flurpy!

I can't wait to try rey cova and Kaz, Kaz definitely sounds better than any generic t70 I've played so far.

I was considering zivi but as you pointed out rey needs something that get shoot at as a wingmate and zivi definitely isn't. I'm still not sold on lulo since he's too frail for my taste thought, but this might be just personal preference.

Leia on cova with kor sella on rey opens up lots of shenanigans I'm in love with

Sadly I'm stuck with another list due to the ITC happening next week

I gave Rey Cova Kaz a try in fly casual, just to get a very basic feeling for it. I know that it is very misleading, but it at least tells you something about the action rotations.

Really surprised by how awesome the list was! 101Rey, R5 Kaz and LeiaCova. I still have my problem with Cova being left behind. But one thing I didn't consider: How often do you sloop several times with Rey? Depends, of course, on your opponent. At least in those moments, Cova is worth a lot with her ability to stop/reverse.

In this thread I saw a lot of Rey with Stealth Device. Is it really good on Rey?

Are you able to keep it for a few rounds?

On 2/16/2020 at 12:45 PM, GreenDragoon said:

I gave Rey Cova Kaz a try in fly casual, just to get a very basic feeling for it. I know that it is very misleading, but it at least tells you something about the action rotations.

Really surprised by how awesome the list was! 101Rey, R5 Kaz and LeiaCova. I still have my problem with Cova being left behind. But one thing I didn't consider: How often do you sloop several times with Rey? Depends, of course, on your opponent. At least in those moments, Cova is worth a lot with her ability to stop/reverse.

I am just glad you are starting to see the light of our lord and Savior CovaLeia. To me that ship is as faction defining to the Resistance as the A-Wing

Edited by Flurpy

For me I feel like it is putting too much into Rey - I have been trying Rey 101, Lulo and Zizi and the 3 5's with a bit of a bid are working really well atm. Need to play some more games but the more I play the A wings the more I love them!

I'm loving CovaLeia - just can't get my head around how Rey doesn't just die in these games ... when I play with her I always seem to leave her in a bad spot (Range 2 of multiple shots) so she just melts ... is the threat of Lulo/Kaz enough that people are distracted from popping at Rey early??

Also Hi @mattcogg81

57 minutes ago, Rich P said:

just can't get my head around how Rey doesn't just die in these games ...

she does ;_;

Depends a bit on local metas, but I don't want to play Rey against 4Fangs, 4 T70s, 5X, 5SFs, and all the other 4-7ship lists that are around. And we have a lot of those.

But then again, stealthy Rey is really tanky, and a coordinated boost or a white sloop can help Rey out quite nicely. The game where Kaz is seen as bad 2/2/5hull ship is amazing, though that might only work for few more weeks if that long.

5 hours ago, Rich P said:

I'm loving CovaLeia - just can't get my head around how Rey doesn't just die in these games ... when I play with her I always seem to leave her in a bad spot (Range 2 of multiple shots) so she just melts ... is the threat of Lulo/Kaz enough that people are distracted from popping at Rey early??

Also Hi @mattcogg81

I mean she does :D This list won't win any tournaments, I started the thread because I wanted to fly it, not because she's some unstoppable force.

But yeah you ensure that the opponent has difficult decisions to make. Ensure the engagement happens where you want it to happen. That's why the list with Lulu/Kaz/Zizi has a bid deep enough to outbid anything that's not a two ship build.

Shield Device Rey only melts if the opponent has 3+ arcs on her and some are not in her front arc and at that point it's not Reys fault but the players.

24 minutes ago, Flurpy said:

at that point it's not Reys fault but the players.

I feel personally attacked πŸ˜›

Thanks - I saw your results at SO and guess that it's more about your ability to fly the ship than the ship itself.

6 minutes ago, Rich P said:

I feel personally attacked πŸ˜›

Thanks - I saw your results at SO and guess that it's more about your ability to fly the ship than the ship itself.

Haha. No. I'm an idiot.

But yes this is definitely a list that requires a looot of repetition. I'm much better at it now than when I started it. It flies differently to most lists so general skill won't help you a lot.

Hi @Rich P good to see you on this thread!

@Flurpy this is the guy @Rich P who has been stealing your lists and putting it on the Sith takers Stream - they stream on Tues nights! He was intrigued by your list and played it the other week - I think he won!

I have been playing a load more casual games with Rey 101, Lulo and Zizi and it's been brilliant! The three 5's, 6pt bid, repositioning and power of the ships - I have to say I like it a lot. People just don't see stuff coming before it's too late! I agree with @GreenDragoon she does melt at times! It's so much fun to fly though! @Rich P is a big Vennie fan so he should have a better insight into this - maybe some advice also.

Rey and Vennie in a list maybe?

@Rich P can you get some Rey builds on the stream tomorrow? πŸ™

I think Rey and Vinnie is a bit too hard to be fun for anyone involved. On the other hand I have this Vennie list to entertain casual players since its different from most X-Wing lists

2 Fat 2 Care

Vennie (56)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
Perceptive Copilot (8)
Rey (14)
Veteran Turret Gunner (10)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Ship total: 96 Half Points: 48 Threshold: 7

Cova Nell (38)
Heroic (1)
Leia Organa (Resistance) (17)
R4 Astromech (2)
Hull Upgrade (3)

Ship total: 61 Half Points: 31 Threshold: 5

Finn (29)
Heroic (1)
Pattern Analyzer (5)
Perceptive Copilot (8)

Ship total: 43 Half Points: 22 Threshold: 2

Total: 200

1 hour ago, mattcogg81 said:

@Rich P can you get some Rey builds on the stream tomorrow? πŸ™

It’s our Mini kit tournament tomorrow so I’ve no idea what gonna end up on there. I’ll see if I can do a Rey one the week after πŸ‘ I’ll post here if we get Rey up on stream though 😍

I don’t think Vennie pairs well with Rey pilot at all. Clearly great with Rey gunner though πŸ‘ πŸ‘

@ddelautre for me it has been great!! My mindset is if it saves me a shield damage or gives me an extra dice to grab a lock for later or one more for Rey's ability then has to be good!

17 hours ago, mattcogg81 said:

can you get some Rey builds on the stream tomorrow? πŸ™

Tim is ill, so we may not be streaming if he can't get down ... and even if he can ... it's hyperspace, so no Rey!

But I'm playing a few games this afternoon before we start the kit tournament so I may give Rey/Zizi/Kaz a try out.

Had a lot of fun with this yesterday at a local tournament (Went 2:2). Leia gives Rey a lot of maneuverability (White Sloops/More blues for Korr Sella to trigger). and Han can hang at the edge of the brawl taking pot shots with hotshot before Rey shoots. The occasional Coordinate is nice too.

You could drop the hull upgrade and/or trick shot for a bid. But I'm lazy and wanted both to be 100pts.

The Garbage will Two
(65) Han Solo [Scavenged YT-1300]
(17) Leia Organa
(7) Hotshot Gunner
(7) Engine Upgrade
(4) Trick Shot
(70) Rey [Scavenged YT-1300]
(6) Korr Sella
(9) Rose Tico
(10) Finn
(3) Hull Upgrade
(2) Rey's Millennium Falcon
Total points: 200

Finally I managed to try Rey Cova and Kaz, even if it was just a game. It might be early to be sure about that, but I think that 45 points Kaz is the missing piece, he seems incredibly promising.

It's still left to be seen if Rey can be considered on par of other extended top dogs thought, Vader Whisper + Ace might still be miserable to play against

33 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

Finally I managed to try Rey Cova and Kaz, even if it was just a game. It might be early to be sure about that, but I think that 45 points Kaz is the missing piece, he seems incredibly promising.

It's still left to be seen if Rey can be considered on par of other extended top dogs thought, Vader Whisper + Ace might still be miserable to play against

45 Kaz is the missing piece to any Reistance list. I am in love with that hyperactive squirrel.

I think he's amazing until you hit i5/6 hard hitting ships. I've now played against Kaz a few times, and in every game I just gun him down asap. Yeah, he gets a couple of turns of being super powered. He's amazing if left alone, though so I guess in the Rey/Kaz/Something lists, he is less priority than Rey for your opponent, so he might get left alone.

4 hours ago, Rich P said:

I think he's amazing until you hit i5/6 hard hitting ships. I've now played against Kaz a few times, and in every game I just gun him down asap. Yeah, he gets a couple of turns of being super powered. He's amazing if left alone, though so I guess in the Rey/Kaz/Something lists, he is less priority than Rey for your opponent, so he might get left alone.

If high initiatives big guns go after Kaz rather than rey i call it a win

31 minutes ago, Sunitsa said:

If high initiatives big guns go after Kaz rather than rey i call it a win

In both my lists all I do is pray they go for Kaz. By all means waste your best shoots shooting into a 3 green dice cheapest ship in the list.

12 minutes ago, Flurpy said:

In both my lists all I do is pray they go for Kaz. By all means waste your best shoots shooting into a 3 green dice cheapest ship in the list.

Does anyone actually do that? I mean, Rey is so obviously the target priority here?

Edited by Rich P
2 minutes ago, Rich P said:

Does anyone actually do that? I mean, Rey is so obviously the target priority here?

It was more of a comment on you saying you gun him down each game than expecting people to target him.

But you would be surprised. The key is making it tough for you opponent. Would they rather shoot Kaz at Range 1 or Rey at Range 3 kinds of situations. That's why I prefer Lulu over Cova as the third ship. Much more in your face difficult decisions ship.

I feel like I gotta share the last Rey I flew. There's kind of a league going on at the FLGS, where you have to fly only two ship lists, both ships with different base sizes, and you can't ever fly the same pilot twice.

I've been enjoying Rey, but I'm just not a Poe player. So fat Cova?

• Rey (Heightened Perception, Korr Sella, Rose, Finn, Title, Contraband Cybernetics, Stealth Device, Mag-Pulse Warheads) 112
  • Cova Nell (Heroic, Leia, R4 Astromech, Hull Upgrade, Pattern Analyzer, Advanced Proton Torpedoes) 72
  • Total 184, bid 16.

Of the non-standard upgrades, I never used Mag-Pulse or Pattern Analyzer (there was never a time I dialed in a reverse on Cova that I wanted to use Leia on Rey). I could have skipped Contraband Cybernetics, too. But Advanced Protons and Heightened Perception each got used. APT was the killshot on one of my opponent's ships, Heightened Perception on the other.

I'll tell you: if Rey knows she'll only be up against 2-ship lists, she's an absolute beast. Cova feels really strong in that sense, too. I think I backpeddled on her like 5 turns in a row once the fighting started. Now, there's no way I'd fly the list quite like this in normal play, but cutting Rey down to her 97 point build, dropping Cova down to Heroic, Leia, and R4... well... 45 Point Kaz fits.

I think Heightened Perception I’m Rey is a bit of an equalizer.