Finding Rey a wing-man for the prom

By Flurpy, in X-Wing Squad Lists

Thanks so much for the reply both,

So in the meantime I have searching for other Rey builds and found one that did really well at Space Jam Rome (4-2)

RESISTANCE (192)

Rey Scavenged YT-1300 (104)
Rose Tico + Korr Sella + Finn + Engine Upgrade + Rey's Millennium Falcon
Zizi Tlo RZ-2 A-wing (46)
Heroic + Crack Shot + Advanced Optics
Tallissan Lintra RZ-2 A-wing (42)

I also have been watching a ton of Hexiled gaming vids using xwing battle archive to search for Rey builds and found Rey, Talli and Zizo crop up a lot. The Rey is much fatter with Heightened Perception and Contraband Cybernetics and having Tallie allows that. The games have been great to watch and I have been predicting moves.

Responding to @Torches idea I really like some of the additions to Zizi and adding Cova. My personal thought is that I just cannot fly Cova well enough or get the best out of her. I wish I would of started with Cova and moved across as I fly Rey in such a way now that I will find it hard to add Cova back in. Cova is awesome and definitely seems to be the most successful build at the moment but I love the Awings so much! Zizi for sure is a no-brainer and I love the addition of the Concussion missiles- I heard some great ideas about snapshot and then proton rockets - so you become the attacker with snapshot and grab a focus, then you move as normal and take a focus as your action and then you have the double focus to use. I really like this idea and it is something I would to try - also happens with the dreaded blank, focus result or as I have had it coined "The troll roll!".

Totally agree about the flying of Rey - I have spent a ton of time perfecting opening moves and obstacle placement so I have options at start of game. I am going on record to say that she doesn't have any terrible matchups nor any good match ups - I think it's flying her effectively. I have found that you are better off front arcing as much as possible just for the autoevade of Finn if you have the force. Kiting at range 1 side arc is also great and the ability to boost is awesome!

I ended up 3-3 in the Sith taker League and I feel that 4-2 would of been easily attainable with better decision making on my part!

My next Rey list is as follows -

Rey (70)
Korr Sella (6)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)
Contraband Cybernetics (2)
Stealth Device (4)
Rey's Millennium Falcon (2)

Ship total: 103 Half Points: 52 Threshold: 6

Zizi Tlo (40)
Heroic (1)
Crack Shot (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 46 Half Points: 23 Threshold: 2

Tallissan Lintra (36)
Heroic (1)
Crack Shot (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

Ship total: 42 Half Points: 21 Threshold: 2

Total: 191

Yes I know 9pt bid but this will be my base build and I will add stuff at appropriate - we all know Zizi is going up next points adjustement! Gives me space for missiles if needed and Contraband on Rey will help smooth out those bad decisions I hope! Crackshots should help get some extra damage through!

Sith taker League here I come! We can change lists every week so can't wait!

Keep me updated everyone!

For those who are interested Bryant Francis is 5 and 1 in GSP Space Jam LA and is in the cut for Sunday - even after a table flip scenario in Round 1

The list is

RESISTANCE (200)

Rey Scavenged YT-1300 (96)
Rose Tico + Freelance Slicer + Finn + Deadman's Switch + Rey's Millennium Falcon
Cova Nell Resistance Transport (58)
Heroic + Leia Organa + R4 Astromech
Zizi Tlo RZ-2 A-wing (46)

What are you thoughts?

Let's cheer him on Sunday around 8pm Uk time!

Update!

There are 2 Rey lists in the cut!

One as above and one the exact build I am trialling above! What are the chances.

2 Reys in the top 16 of space jam LA

Guess who came out of his cave for his long delayed report. Thiiis guy.

Short Summary: **** efficiency lists, I am switching over to Thicc Rey full time.

Rey in Top 4 Space jam!

Update Rey in the final of Space Jam!!!!!!!!

7 hours ago, mattcogg81 said:

Update Rey in the final of Space Jam!!!!!!!!

i flew Rey this weekend, was fun but I need to play serious next time. I have disgraced the Rey falcon.

Edited by Gokuja04

@mattcogg81 I finally went through and read the last two pages, I am stocked how you took up the mantle for this thread, and I have to say I am reviewing some of my list choices after going through the things you wrote 😄

Also did Rey win a major tournament literally hours after my rant that Resistance are inadequate? Shows how much I know 😄

Rey made it to the final of the Space Jam and unfortunately did not win! However Bryant Francis has done a fantastic job on the this list and I messaged him on discord to invite him to comment on this thread.

@Gokuja04 what did you fly?

Also I missed the jankiest Rey list possible - check this build out

RESISTANCE (197)

Rey Scavenged YT-1300 (103)
Amilyn Holdo + Rose Tico + Finn + Contraband Cybernetics + Stealth Device
Blue Squadron Recruit RZ-2 A-wing (35)
Swarm Tactics
BB-8 Resistance Transport Pod (29)
Intimidation
Colossus Station Mechanic Fireball (30)
Cloaking Device

I need to watch the game back but essentially Holdo allows Rey to get a cloak token! Yes a cloak token! I really need to see this whole process explained to me. There is some sort of Swarm Tactics to Init 1 going on so Rey engages so that the cloak token can be passed so she can shoot and stuff! It's round 4 I think of Space Jam LA so will be on GSP Twitch and later on YouTube - he went 3-3 put wow what some great theory crafting!

So it seems we have more variants of the Rey build but Finn and Rose are always stapled.

I myself flew Francis Bryant's list for one game and am very impressed by the build itself - luckily I have the Sith taker league in which we can change lists every week so I will experiment more. If anybody played in the Space Jam's or has had some success with Rey - let us know!

@Flurpy the time is now!

Us waiting for him to comment on this thread:

https://tenor.com/barfK.gif

But yeah so many new builds to play and tinker with, I decided to finish out the local league only playing Rey and basically retire other lists until I learn this one well enough.

/pokes head back in

I've not been doing much X-Wing, but the little I have done has been tooling around with Scum and some Vennie stuff. I also haven't been watching much X-Wing, but I did catch the (sad, disastrous) final of the LA Space jam and remembered that Rey is a thing! I don't remember if I ever played her with anything other than that super BB-8 Poe. I think I'd mostly bounced off Rey before the Fireball and Hotshots came out, so I'm looking forward to playing around with it. I think L'ulo is the first choice to draw attention...I'll have to try out both Kaz and Zizi to see which I like better. I don't see my self ever using Cova.

Soooo...does L'ulo really care about Advanced Optics? I do like Heightened Perception on Rey, but maybe it's not useful often enough to warrant its inclusion. I can have both, but without much of a bid...1-2 points, which I think I want a little more.

Rey (70)
Heightened Perception (3)
Korr Sella (6)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)
Rey’s Millennium Falcon (2)

Zizi Tlo (40)
Crack Shot (1)
Heroic (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

L’ulo L’ampar (43)
Crack Shot (1)
Heroic (1)
Total: 195

View in Yet Another Squad Builder 2.0

Also, Ello Asty with 97-point Rey and Heroic (maybe Crack) L'ulo?

Rey (70)
Korr Sella (6)
Rose Tico (9)
Finn (10)

Ello Asty (55)
Heroic (1)
Integrated S-Foils (0)

L’ulo L’ampar (43)
Heroic (1)
Crack Shot (1)
Total: 198

Edited by gennataos
18 hours ago, mattcogg81 said:

Rey made it to the final of the Space Jam and unfortunately did not win! However Bryant Francis has done a fantastic job on the this list and I messaged him on discord to invite him to comment on this thread.

@Gokuja04 what did you fly?

Also I missed the jankiest Rey list possible - check this build out

RESISTANCE (197)

Rey Scavenged YT-1300 (103)
Amilyn Holdo + Rose Tico + Finn + Contraband Cybernetics + Stealth Device
Blue Squadron Recruit RZ-2 A-wing (35)
Swarm Tactics
BB-8 Resistance Transport Pod (29)
Intimidation
Colossus Station Mechanic Fireball (30)
Cloaking Device

I need to watch the game back but essentially Holdo allows Rey to get a cloak token! Yes a cloak token! I really need to see this whole process explained to me. There is some sort of Swarm Tactics to Init 1 going on so Rey engages so that the cloak token can be passed so she can shoot and stuff! It's round 4 I think of Space Jam LA so will be on GSP Twitch and later on YouTube - he went 3-3 put wow what some great theory crafting!

So it seems we have more variants of the Rey build but Finn and Rose are always stapled.

I myself flew Francis Bryant's list for one game and am very impressed by the build itself - luckily I have the Sith taker league in which we can change lists every week so I will experiment more. If anybody played in the Space Jam's or has had some success with Rey - let us know!

@Flurpy the time is now!

That was me on stream. So not to play captain hindsight but around 20 mins left I knew if I 2 turned away with Rey I should win the game. Even if he killed everything else I win if Rey is above half. If I turned away I win. But I chose violence. I thought I could kill another brobot but I was mistaken. I did fly a little poorly/too aggressively when I decided to keep Rey in. I should have slow played and just 1 straight or 1 bank with Rey and then turned in behind green I think it was.

but I flew way to aggressively and misjudged the turn thinking it would bump....it did not lol

my next game if I would have done the optimal thing and given Rey an evade instead of a focus with Holdo I win. Poor decision there lost on the last shots again.
so I could have been 4-2 or potentially 5-1 but mistakes and aggressiveness stopped that from happening lol

there is more to swarm tactics then passing off cloak. It lets Rey enter tank mode and take shots with tons of green dice and mods. If you have the cloak already you can steal an evade and have focus/evade, Reys mods and Finns extra die.

it also gives you way more information then you would normally have. You now have the force to use for defending before attacking, taking less damage with Rey if you engage at i1, so in theory should let you live longer. Plus you still have tl for offensive shot. You can also see What tokens you can steal/trade at i5 or i1.

One downside of Rey/Finn is a lot of time you may not have enough green dice for reducing dmg and getting target lock from rose. If you drop down to i1 and let them shoot first, you are rolling 4+ green dice, then add Finn you should be able to do both a lot of the time. Plus Rey is normally likely to only do 3 dmg first rd of combat because you won’t have the target lock if they shoot after you. Some situations you might, but normally no. Well now guess what, you already have the tl if they shoot Rey so you can get 4 hits

i didn’t get too complicated in my game as it was my first streamed game and didn’t want to just tank the game. I already made dumb mistakes and stupid stuff trying to hurry it up for stream.

i am happy with my play up until deciding to keep fighting. Not because I shouldn’t have, but because I flew poorly past that point. Also, don’t forget to roll green dice even if your opponent doesn’t hit you. I could have used Rose twice that game, though neither really affected the result fortunately 😁

I’m glad ppl enjoyed it. It’s no longer my little secret anymore. I just need more practice with it and I’m looking forward to see what people do with it if anything

Edited by Gokuja04

Wow that's awesome!

Could you please talk us through all the moving parts of the list! Commentators didn't seem to understand. I thought you played brilliantly and so good to see some new ideas using Rey. Please talk us through your list!

2 minutes ago, Mattcogg said:

Wow that's awesome!

Could you please talk us through all the moving parts of the list! Commentators didn't seem to understand. I thought you played brilliantly and so good to see some new ideas using Rey. Please talk us through your list!

Besides what I said I can try. I’m at work but later today or tomorrow

7 hours ago, Mattcogg said:

Wow that's awesome!

It was kind of funny listening to Dion and Ryan trying to figure it out. And I think Ryan is underplaying/underestimating what you can do with swarm tactics. Maybe he thought about it more since then. I should have kept bb8 back and flew in with Rey so people could see. Sure there are other ships/pilots you could throw in there that are better like Zizi or Lulo or an xwing. But is it really fun if it's not jank? lol

So basically it's all about having options. hopefully I won't get too complicated and confusing. But in the stream match had I kept bb8 back I could keep the cloak on Rey instead of passing off, keep her at i5 and not shoot and keep the cloak and take an evade from another ship had I had one (should have evaded with the awing, stream nerves I guess). Would have taken 2 range 3 shots and 1 range 2. Rey rolling 4-5 green dice, add finn, have 2 force, a focus and evade and I SHOULD be fine. Blanks happen but likely fine. I now have a cloaked Rey with a target lock on a ship. Next turn I can decloak forward or in that match probably to the right toward yellow brobot, then spend contraband and I could have 3 slooped toward the jalapeno gas cloud, putting me behind yellow. That would have been smarter and showed off the combo. But like I said I didn't want to tank it on my stream game and I sort of messed up with bb8 and had to bail him out lol. So if you don't mess up you have options to enter tank mode on Rey and keep cloak for next turn and mess your opponent up with decloak and sloop or whatever maneuver is best, or pass cloak off to another ship that is getting shot, and rolling 6 dice with bb8 is fun :D

you can decide to shoot before or after your opponent if they are i2-i5 or even i1-i5 depending on who is first player which I personally think is huge. yes I would like Rey to move after my opponents i5's as well, and I might drop intim on bb8 to lower my bid, but I decide who is shooting first :) I decide if Rey had 2-3 green dice or 4+.

other things you can do include taking a target lock assigned to Rey or another friendly ship and moving it. I did that in a game vs wedge/luke both with proton torps. He shot wedge proton torps into bb8, then Rey engaged and I took Lukes tl and put it on a ship that was out of his range as I believe range is only relevant when acquiring tl, I should be able to freely move it unless I am missing something. point being you can screw with opponents locks which is fun. Other thing you can do that is a little situational is take an ion or tractor token off of someone. If my awing pulls disabled power regulator and I had moved Rey to i1, let the awing engage and take the ion, pass it to Rey. I have also used Holdo to get rid of stress I had from panicked pilot.

Also in the stream game I tried a sloop around the 9:15 mark i think, I knew if i failed I could pass stress off and try again. It basically gives you no consequences to try sloop as long as you can pass it off. Or of course complete a 3 sloop and pass stress off, love it :)

So say it was me in the final match, and I fly Rey straight toward the droid swarm. I believe my Rey can handle that a lot better. This is just my thoughts on it, I haven't went against a swarm yet but would love to soon to see how it does. But anyway, so in that situation what I could have done to bail me out is either decloak right, and bank/turn to the right by the gas cloud and rock to get myself out of that bad situation. Or keep the cloak, go 1 forward, have a focus or an evade by using Holdo and pass target lock to a ship behind me out of range from techno bomber. Then just tank shots and probably walk away with minimal damage after shots and the buzz droids. It would have been mostly 2 red dice vs my 4+ greens. Next rd Rey is free to sloop behind them and start taking them out. I THINK my version can handle droids better as it makes Rey unpredictable, but I need to play to find out. I almost want to challenge Ryan S to a game, but idk that I should be so bold :D

Anyway, tl:dr version is Holdo might be really good, and the cloaking is just good fun shenanigan stuff.

Hopefully I didn't butcher explaining and you understand that there is more to Swarm Tac than what Dion implied, a "5d chess once in a million situation" lol.

Edited by Gokuja04

Been messing with Holdo on Rey and there are some powerful tricks. Nien Numb allows rey to pass stress to him and stress goes poof if he is range 1 of enemy. Also, Nien can 4k, grab a lock, and rey can pass a focus to him for a full mod shot without pattern analyzer. Zizi allows her to shoot before Rey, grab an evade or focus, which rey can then activate and take. Rey can take the stress from a slamming kaz, to open his dial every round. With adv slam, he can dodge lots of arcs and evade and keep rey evaded.

Holdo opens up tons of possibilities, not just strengthening rey, but the entire squad.

Im looking at Rey, Nien, Zizi right now. Was using lulo, trying to have lulo be unstressed with 3 green dice vs i6s and i5s, and then rey passes stress to lulo and she is now 3 red dice after the i5s and i6s shot. Was not working as I hoped, cuz Awings boost or rotate like every round.

Thanks @Gokuja04 for the explanation - what strikes me is when I spoke to Bryant Francis on discord he also talked about options with Leia - it seems both builds are built on that significant principle.

Your explanations makes things so much clearer for me now - I've never flown a cloaked ship so had no idea the cloak token aspect apart from the defensive part! I really like how you have the choice of when to shoot and options - that is this list's biggest selling point.

@wurms is already experimenting which is great! I feel I need to sit down and put all these parts on the table to see them work - I salute you for putting that amount of time into this combo and thinking in a different way.

I am loving this, so much jank so much potential for discussion.

Just one question. What do we think about Bucket for carrying Holdo and Cloaking Device?

One of the problems I see with Holdo is the short range of the ability and Rey wants to be bouncing all over the place. Maybe putting it on Bucket will put Holdo on a ship fast enough to keep up.

Quick spit balling for the absolute jankiest of all.

Resistance Extended

(70) Rey [Scavenged YT-1300]
(9) Rose Tico
(6) Korr Sella
(10) Finn
(2) Rey's Millennium Falcon

(43) L'ulo L'ampar [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic
(4) Swarm Tactics
(4) Advanced Optics

(29) R1-J5 [Fireball]
(8) Amilyn Holdo
(4) Cloaking Device
(6) Static Discharge Vanes
(2) Kaz's Fireball (take Disabeled Power Regulator)

Total points: 198

Hmm or even removing Static Discharge Vanes and Kaz Fireball removes some extreme jank and adds bid and upgrade room. Or for even more jank add Missiles to Bucket so he takes Reys Target Lock when he gives her Cloacking.

Rey activates, shoots, gets a target lock. Bucket activates, takes target lock, gives Cloacking device and shoots.

Edited by Flurpy

Also worth noting - Bryant Francis on latest episode of Fly Better! Listening before I unleash his list in my first Sith taker League match tonight!

Loving all this renewed interest in Rey - and really enjoyed watching Bryant and @Gokuja04 fly their takes this weekend. After seeing Holdo in action I had a bit of a noodle and came up with this:

Rey (70)
Rose Tico (9)
Amilyn Holdo (8)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)
Ship total: 103

Zizi Tlo (40)
Crack Shot (1)
Advanced Optics (4)
Ship total: 45

Colossus Station Mechanic (26)
Ship total: 26

Total: 200

It doesn't have the tricks of cloaking etc as that's too much of a big brain play for me but one thing I've been trying to get on Rey for a while is an evade token. This list has multiple ways of doing it. The Colossus Mechs are really useful for blocking and also can hang back and stay close to Rey to give her an extra token, either to ensure she keeps her force for defence or to turtle up with an evade. This is especially useful as they give you a screen to self bump and keep the front arc pointing in a direction you might not be able to achieve otherwise. I've run the Colossus Mechs fairly close together where one can take an evade and the other a focus so Rey can pick at the time.

Obviously, Zizi can do her thing too and give Rey extra options for tokens too, whilst being defensive.

How's everyone else Holdo-ing atm?

6 hours ago, Flurpy said:

I am loving this, so much jank so much potential for discussion.

Just one question. What do we think about Bucket for carrying Holdo and Cloaking Device?

One of the problems I see with Holdo is the short range of the ability and Rey wants to be bouncing all over the place. Maybe putting it on Bucket will put Holdo on a ship fast enough to keep up.

Quick spit balling for the absolute jankiest of all.

Resistance Extended

(70) Rey [Scavenged YT-1300]
(9) Rose Tico
(6) Korr Sella
(10) Finn
(2) Rey's Millennium Falcon

(43) L'ulo L'ampar [RZ-2 A-wing]
(1) Heroic
(4) Swarm Tactics
(4) Advanced Optics

(29) R1-J5 [Fireball]
(8) Amilyn Holdo
(4) Cloaking Device
(6) Static Discharge Vanes
(2) Kaz's Fireball (take Disabeled Power Regulator)

Total points: 198

Hmm or even removing Static Discharge Vanes and Kaz Fireball removes some extreme jank and adds bid and upgrade room. Or for even more jank add Missiles to Bucket so he takes Reys Target Lock when he gives her Cloacking.

Rey activates, shoots, gets a target lock. Bucket activates, takes target lock, gives Cloacking device and shoots.

I thought about a different carrier for Holdo but I like having it on Rey. I do disagree a lil on Rey wanting to bounce all over. Normally true maybe but I have intentionally bumped in the 3 games I played before the tourney to stay where Rey is and just keep front arc on target. I should have done that in game using bb8.

there are other, more conventional ways to list Rey/Holdo out for sure. Zizi being a great piece. I just like jank.

3 hours ago, Torches said:

Loving all this renewed interest in Rey - and really enjoyed watching Bryant and @Gokuja04 fly their takes this weekend. After seeing Holdo in action I had a bit of a noodle and came up with this:

Rey (70)
Rose Tico (9)
Amilyn Holdo (8)
Finn (10)
Stealth Device (4)
Ship total: 103

Zizi Tlo (40)
Crack Shot (1)
Advanced Optics (4)
Ship total: 45

Total: 200

It doesn't have the tricks of cloaking etc as that's too much of a big brain play for me but one thing I've been trying to get on Rey for a while is an evade token. This list has multiple ways of doing it. The Colossus Mechs are really useful for blocking and also can hang back and stay close to Rey to give her an extra token, either to ensure she keeps her force for defence or to turtle up with an evade. This is especially useful as they give you a screen to self bump and keep the front arc pointing in a direction you might not be able to achieve otherwise. I've run the Colossus Mechs fairly close together where one can take an evade and the other a focus so Rey can pick at the time.

Obviously, Zizi can do her thing too and give Rey extra options for tokens too, whilst being defensive.

How's everyone else Holdo-ing atm?

love it, you don’t need cloaking, I personally just have always like seeing how many green dice and green tokens I can get on Rey. 1st edition X-Wing I had Rey with stealth device and other cards (can’t remember which) they let me get multiple focus and evades. My list is sort of the same, only more versatile

I am kind of kicking myself now for not doing cool stuff on stream, like I said I just didn’t rly want to tank it and this was maybe my 3rd game against brobots in all of X-Wing. So played conservative, but shoulda said screw it

I started my new ride on the Rey train last night in a couple TTS casual games with some locals. I kind of rolled in both games. Neither Heightened Perception nor Contraband Cybernetics was used. I totally forgot about Stealth Device in both games, but it didn't really matter (says a lot about me as a player, though! I forget that, yet shockingly remembered defensive Rose triggers every time). I really like that I can throw the A-Wing in with abandon (I'm usually far more cagey with A-Wings) and that all ships can act independently. I'm not usually one to care much about everything being the same initiative, but the movement of this list really seems to benefit from it.

Rey (70)
Heightened Perception (3)
Rose Tico (9)
Korr Sella (6)
Finn (10)
Contraband Cybernetics (2)
Stealth Device (4)

Zizi Tlo (40)
Heroic (1)
Crack Shot (1)
Advanced Optics (4)

L’ulo L’ampar (43)
Heroic (1)
Crack Shot (1)
Total: 197

I'm listening to the Fly Better podcast with Bryant right now. I certainly can see and appreciate the merits of Cova/Leia, I just don't think that's my style. Plus, I already have two RZ-2s painted in the red theme! That said, I think I owe it to myself (and the thread) to give it a try.

I still feel Heightened Perception is a good choice to combat i5-i6, but I'm pretty sure Contraband Cybernetics isn't the right choice. I tried that a lot with Rey/Poe and it feels like a "win more" upgrade for this Rey. Deadman's Switch intrigues me, because that could help against swarms. Middling bids seem to have evaporated, so 3 points beats most things unless I'm in the teens, I suppose?

It seems to be that swarms are a real problem, which is obvious. List building-wise, I like Deadman's and Stealth Device for the match-up. Strategy/tactics, I'm not sure what to do. What's the target trade for Rey?

@gennataos Ill just tag you to not quote the entire thing. You pretty much came to all the same conclusions I did when first debating this list, so I agree on pretty much everything.

As far as swarms go I think the non Rey ships there need to pull their weight and win it for you. Thats one of the reason I think the "correct" wing-mates will always be fast agile ships. Basically I kite around with Rey using her as a massive bait and let Lulu and Kaz do all the dirty work. Both the A-Wing and a Fireball have a fast enough dial to slip in behind the enemy swarm, and are still agile enough to stay in a knife fight and dodge when the swarm turns to them. Naturally when the swarm turns around thats when you bring in Rey and run away with the rest. Rinse and repeat. Of course this all works against a bad/mediocre swarm players. Good Droid players are an uphill battle no matter what you do.

Ill play 3 games tomorrow with Thicc Rey, Swarm Lulu and Holdo Bucket and will report back. First time playing X-Wing in person since February and I. Am. Stocked.