AMA with Andrew Navaro

By FFGEvan, in News

2 minutes ago, egwoolsie said:

Will FFG have a presence at BGG.com Convention in Novemember? If so, what can we expect to see/hear from you? Will you be making any major announcements?

The major announcements just happened at GenCon. That's when they do all their major announcements.

Is there a possibiliy the campaigns, that, fans, have created, could ever be "official" content ? As it is, or in some way or another.
Personnaly, I've created theses 2 and I don't mind about money of rights, as long as it offers the game some more life

The first one is far more epic, but with a bit of work, the second one can be really great too.

And what about expansions ?

This one is my work too, so, same as for campaigns. But maybe Sadgit Zaltyre and the others are thinking the same as me ?

I'm sure this game has enough fan base so, at least, campaigns as books can be attractive as for players and for FFG.

The more the game lives, the better it will be for all ;)

Edited by rugal

Hi Andrew, thanks so much for doing this!

I absolutely love Imperial Assault and was gutted to hear that there aren't currently any plans to produce more physical content. There's nothing quite like experiencing the thrill of something tangible being added to your favourite board game and the anticipation of actually getting hold of it to paint/admire/play with/kill. The campaign boxes have been following a very clear path to coincide with the original trilogy films, aside from the two excellent Rebels-themed expansions, and after Jabba's Realm there isn't a player in existence who wasn't expecting and anticipating an Endor box to finish off that major trend. It seems so strange to take us so far and then decide to pull the plug at the last step. It's almost like watching 5 series of your favourite show and then having to suffer the agony of it being cancelled before being able to see it to its conclusion.

Do you have the intention of at least making this expansion in the future? Maybe when Legion production has waned enough to squeeze us into a development slot?

Again, thanks a lot for taking the time to answer our burning questions!

Don't you think about bringing AGoT Card Game to Brazil? Fifth most populous country in the world and one of the largest audiences of the series, it is also one of the largest consumers of agot board game and the george martin books. Has also tradition in Magic the Gathering and other CG.

Hi! Huge fan of FFG here, with a semi unconventional question.

I've recently gone into Drafting as a major, but my real passion is 3D design, specifically with miniatures. So I was wondering; how does one become a designer for your company? Any specific programs to learn, or other things to pursue?

Well since most of my game related questions have been asked...

What is your favorite flavor of ice cream?

An X-Wing question. With Coaxium Hyperfuel coming in both the Fireball Expansion (1 copy) and Hotshots and Aces Reinforcements pack (2 copies), are we looking at having new upgrades that provide the required SLAM action or ships with the required SLAM action and an Illicit slot other than the Fireball?

How much are you guys going to invest into the Marvel universe?

1 hour ago, rugal said:

Is there a possibiliy the campaigns, that, fans, have created, could ever be "official" content ?

Let's broaden that to more than just campaigns. There are several games that seem to not have any active FFG development going on, that those games' communities are developing content for—Runewars Minis comes strongly to mind, but there are enough people on the Heroes of Terrinoth groups that are assuming that game is finished, and are doing their own things to keep it going. Would you be willing to support (through print on demand, licensing the game, or whatever other solution is available) these efforts in any way?

Edited by Xelto
7 hours ago, KakitaKaori said:

What is your philosophy regarding player impact on the storyline and card game in Legend of the Five Rings? Will player impact on the L5R Card Game storyline increase in the next year? Will players get to have impact on the storyline only from tournaments or will there will be non-LCG opportunities available in the future?

Seconded.

Also:

Genesys Foundry is a major market expansion for FFG in terms of RPG support. Can you tell us more about the decision to move to a platform like Genesys Foundry? And if the L5R RPG community would like to see a similar platform for our game, what would be the best way to show our support (spend money on the L5R RPG game? Concentrated email campaign? Flashmobs at Winter Court? Bugging designers repeatedly through AMAs?)

I'd like any information you can give up about expansions for TI4 and/or Outer Rim

Greetings, some questions:

-The distribution format of the LCG was innovative and celebrated, but over time the cycles turn out to be very long and the theme is lost because letters come out at the end of the cycle that combine with those of the beginning half a year earlier, if that thematic was not very competitive, it is ignored. Will the format of the cycles change to a shorter distribution of the chapters or directly to boxes every 3 months? Personally I prefer that last option, it is environmentally better: less packaging and less fuel consumption in distribution.

-In LCG games the community moves much faster than development and players feel that waiting for a FAQ for months causes unfair situations in which they gain excessive archetypes. Is it possible to solve that and publish more frequent FAQ?

-In the CCG the distribution in envelopes forced that there was rarity in the cards and with the rarity included quality, the LCG model wanted to eliminate the factor "luck" or "spend more money" and that everyone could play on equal terms. That was a great advance in the card games, however the fact of differentiating the cards by their quality was preserved, there are some better and worse. The fact is that there are cards that are impossible to play, they are so bad that you can't. Since everyone has the same cards, would it be possible for them to stop designing extremely bad cards and make them all playable ?

-In the specific case of AGOT, from the groups of testers there have been leaks and, presumably, they have taken advantage of knowing the cards with time of difference to take advantage. Some players knew everything that came and others did not and that creates an upset in the community. Can it be solved in any way?

What is the future for Runewars the board game? One last expansion with Orcs and Dwarves like we had for Rune Age? Runewars 2nd Edition? I love TI4, own Android, Netrunner, X-wing, Descent, LOTR LCG, Runebound and other smaller FFG games, but I am really hoping to see Runewars come back triumphantly with a revised edition like we saw with TI4 and the full 6 factions. Its such a good game that we still play regularly.

Thanks so much for everything you and many others at FFG have done for us gamers!

Hey Andrew,

Do you think there is a chance we'll get to see an Android: Netrunner (or -compatible) product again from FFG within the next few years?

And what are your thoughts on the fan-run "continuation" of Android: Netrunner with the Nisei project (game design, art design, value for the community, and from a business perspective)?

Thanks!

I also "N"th all the "what's up with Terrinoth/Descent" questions. Same with Imperial Assault.

My questions are:

1. Are there plans for releasing new, stand alone campaigns (either as digital PDFs or as physical books) for Descent and IA's traditional one vs many mode?
  2. What are the plans for releasing additional co-op campaigns for the Descent and IA apps?
  3. Are there any plans to release an official scenario/campaign editor for the games that use apps (Descent, IA, MoM 2e, Journeys in Middle Earth, etc) in order to allow fans to create their own content? Such an editor would go a long way toward extending the life span of these games and drive product purchases (and in fact there is already a fairly decent home-brew community editor which I am sure you are aware of).
  4. Are there any plans to expand your printing operations in the US and/or manufacture more products in the US as opposed to China given the current trade climate and the recent issues FFG has had with respect to its overseas printers and shipping partners (like, what happened with that GoT Board Game playmat)?

Thank you for taking the time to answer our questions!

I believe that Legion is the wrong name for the game.

Hopefully you'll be working on a 10mm version to allow for AT-ATs etc at some point. If so, what name would you use.

Edited by Gallanteer
8 hours ago, any2cards said:

What is the future of Descent ...

Will FFG ever produce the missing 12 Heroes from D1e for D2e?

Will there be any further development for D2e (*** NOT *** for the app, but physical content)?

I am very interested in the answer to this question, as I'm sure many Descent players are.

However, I would also like to add:

Are there any FFG efforts to patch or update the Descent Quest Vault? There are open technical bug reports which have not received responses since before 2017. A number of users are actively trying to build a fan-content community, but are hitting a stone wall. A "development suspended/cancelled" notice as a bare minimum would be polite. Thank you for your time!

I like many others were very disappointed regarding the decision to essentially stop Imperial Assault development, the campaign element is something that cannot be replaced by Legion.

Not introducing a Rogue One based expansion or Endor expansion is what many believe is a missed opportunity.

We are grateful for the App Support however especially if new campaigns continue to be developed even without new future physical product. On that basis, is there an opportunity to release a community campaign designer for it and maybe create a central hub to download community created content?

Edited by Gallanteer
6 hours ago, rasmussen81 said:

Thanks for being willing to answer questions! You're brave and we appreciate it a ton. Here are my questions:

1) What's in store for the future of The Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth?

2) How does FFG keep managing to get major IPs? What's that process like? You now have The Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Marvel and you're doing an amazing job with them but I wonder how that process works.

3) How has the trade war with China impacted the prices of FFG games? Has it impacted release dates?

Thanks again!

Especially interested in the answers to 1 and 3.

Is development of Eldritch Horror now complete?

Battlestar Galactica was a much loved game, however, this IP appears to have now moved to a different company.

Are there any plans to create a Traitor based game in the future for an existing or new IP - Android seems an obvious one.

Edited by Gallanteer

Moin Andrew!

A very big Thank You, that you entered the era of the Clone Wars in Legion.

And I have to ask: Are you going to do the same step in Armada?

I just imagine to destroy as Admiral Yularen with a dozen of Venators the seperatist fleets.

Hey Andrew!

Any news/spoilers/teases/anything on the new Clone Wars stuff for Star Wars Armada? Also, do you play any Star Wars Armada, and if so, are you a Rebel or an Imperial player, and whats your favorite ship/squadron? Thanks for taking time to answer questions for the community!

Hi Andrew!

Love the work and products you guys come out with. You guys were the enablers to my new gaming addiction, and the great community!

I would ask, what can we expect for Game of Thrones moving forward? This game has been one of my favorite pastimes, and competitive games, and any information I can get is great!

Also, is there a way to get some of those sleek Keyforge deck boxes individually outside of buying the premium box?

As a longtime Imperial Assault fan, and newcomer to Journeys in Middle Earth, I find the lack of communication on both of these products (JiME less so, obviously) especially disheartening.

While I understand that there are limitations on how much you can say about development and product statuses, the near complete lack of communication is really causing a lot of confusion, anger and abandonment by your customers.

What are your thoughts on the manner in which FFG chooses to communicate (or not) with it's player bases, and how would you improve the damaged relationships with those of us who feel like we've been abandoned?