AMA with Andrew Navaro

By FFGEvan, in News

• Given how quickly reprints keep selling out, are there plans to produce new Arkham Files Novellas?
  • Are there plans to create more content with the Oracle system (Legacy of Dragonholt), either inside or outside the Terrinoth setting?

I realize both require greater story writing and story management than almost any other board game (with the exception of L5R).

What is the current status with the Tannhäuser IP? I would love to see anything new, remastering the core game, or using the IP for something else.

Also DOOM!!!! Please sell us an expansion! This game is so much fun! And with the upcoming release of Doom Eternal the IP is going to stay stronger as ever!

I fully bought into Imperial Assault after the announcement this year that there would be no more products.

I've always quite liked the campaign game, but it's skirmish that caught my eye this year and even made me pause competitive magic: the gathering for a while. There's something really elegant about this game; maybe the small scale of battles, maybe the technical aspects of grid-based moves + line of sight rules, maybe the heavy impact of command cards appealed to me as a mostly TCG player, I'm not sure.

Even though the game is considered dead by some, I still committed to learning its intricacies. I'm actually writing from my airbnb in Krakow, getting ready for IA euro championships tomorrow! ;)

I assumed the reason why IA is not being developed anymore is because it's mostly considered a campaign board game, and, well, there's already a bunch of expansions with good replay value, to suit the average campaign gaming group. And the app content too!
It's a bit more problematic for skirmish because it freezes the meta in a single point in time, and players may feel less motivated to "crack the puzzle of the meta" over time, with the feeling that everything has already been explored.

So finally my question is: has there been any consideration to supporting Imperial Assault as a skirmish only game from now on?
-> Continue supporting organized play, release packs of cards (skirmish upgrades, fixes for old/obsolete figures), or even a small amount of new figures per year released only as blister packs? Maybe a dynamic deployment points system, like XWing ?

I think the IA skirmish metagame is quite healthy right now, and I think it only needs small evolutions to refresh it every now and then to keep being interesting.

I'm also curious as to what the future of Imperial Assault might be (particularly skirmish), and, if the answer is still that there is no physical product in the works, my followup question would be: why? I've never had more fun with tabletop gaming than I have with this fantastic game, but then it all just sort of went away without any communication from FFG one way or another. I'd just love to know if there was some specific reason that this game has been essentially discontinued (again from a skirmish point of view), or was it just more a matter of shifting priorities to newer games like Legion?

And thanks again for making such a great game to begin with - as I said up top, it's the most fun I've had with plastic and cardboard.

Edited by ManateeX

Imperial Assault is a fantastic game. I really enjoy the campaign mode (traditional and app). The Raid mode has been a blast too. I’m also getting into Skirmish more recently.

Will there be additional Raid modes and App campaigns?

How about other ways to digitally support the game? Perhaps you could create and release new versions of Skirmish deployment cards via the app?

The community would love new physical product, but in absence of this, can you share the plans to support the game digitally and through Organized Play?

LCGs were a fantastic innovation, but it seems that several of them are running up against the limitations of the format; larger barriers to entry, slow (or non-existent, so far) card tunover to rotate out old design, high number of SKUs for stores to stock, etc etc. They still seem like an ideal distribution format for the co-ops, but in need of rethinking for the competitive games. Any thoughts on how to iterate on the success of the LCG format to shore up some of its apparent shortcomings?

Are there any plans for the other Star Wars miniatures games to eventually move to an App based system like X Wing? I've heard mixed reviews of that app, but I like the idea of being able to dynamically update units that are not as efficient.

Also, what is the process for generating a RRG update? Keyforge currently has several rulings that have been made at events that have created potentially contradictory game states. But there has not been an update in months to address these. Similar issues have occurred in the past for Armada.

1 hour ago, Lipstickpaddy said:

MoM 2nd Edition >>> Legacy plans?

Seconded!

44 minutes ago, Fallenone2016 said:

What is the current status with the Tannhäuser IP? I would love to see anything new, remastering the core game, or using the IP for something else.

Would love to get into a new edition of this game, especially if it included solo, co-op and campaign rules as well as skirmish. Never had a chance to play prior editions. So yes, answers to this question would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by TwiceBorn

I have noticed at co-operative games have really grown in popularity. What is the future of this type of game play and in what areas can it become better? How would you make them more strategic or unique?

1) Will FFG be returning to the Android IP any time soon? Specifically in the board/card game arena.

2) Could you talk a little about the design process for New Angeles? Am I correct in assuming we won't be seeing any more content for that game?

3) Likewise, can you talk about the design process for Battlestar Galactica? What were some of the design iterations for that game like? Was there any content that had been considered but never made it into the final game? How much was the licensor involved? Was it like Star Wars/Marvel where you had to run gameplay concepts by them, or was it fairly hands off? Will we ever see the game return in some form? :)

With FFG being a relatively small company, it is understandable how your marketing can really only handle a few items at a time. Genesys is getting a little more attention with another generic sourcebook and a GM screen announced. The addition of the Keyforge setting book should also put the Genesys name in front of more eyes. Is this the basic marketing strategy of Genesys, to basically use current fans of a setting/IP as a way of showing them Genesys? Are there plans to market Genesys more and possibly target people that may be willing to come over from established generic systems like GURPS or Savage Worlds? What is the role of Genesys in the overall product line up of FFG?

Thanks for doing a open AMA for fans of FFG!

I wasn't much of a table top gamer until I got into X-Wing I can't tell you ow much this game means to me now meeting lots of great people.

For X-wing 2.0 how long until the original 3 factions will start to see new ships not just re-releases? Great to see card packs coming will there be more future card packs with more new pilots of 1.0 ships such as RZ1 A-Wing, and Auzituck as examples?

I have been looking at Imperial Assault and thinking about jumping into it. Many have asked about new content in the thread, but I am concerned about starting to buy IA if it might no longer be re-printed. How long can we expect current IA products to be available and re-printed if needed? I am asking that knowing that ) IA products are available to purchase from FFG currently and none are listed as upcoming for a re-print. Is Imperial Assault being discontinued, or will FFG print more?

Are the new scenarios going to be incorporated into regular tournaments or will they have their own tournament bracket?

Is Civilization A New Dawn abandoned or will we ever see a much needed expansion? There's quite a community still supporting this game and the game would benefit from an expansion.

With Doom Eternal coming out, any plans for an expansion? The main game is a few years old but we recently saw an expansion for Game of Thrones the board game second edition, so anything's possible.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Andrew, thanks for doing this! Can we expect Marvel board games from FFG in the future? And are you happy with the balance between own IP and licensed products?

Thanks!

Jeroen (Netherlands)

4 hours ago, MatsuRobun said:

Hello Andrew,

Is there new products and content coming for Star Wars: Imperial Assault? I would love to see more content for this game and I expect the entire community would too. On a whole what we have so far for this game is brilliant across the myriad game modes and there's an incredible wealth of potential content in the Star Wars universe. These amazing untapped possibilities cause me a equal amount of frustration because my favorite competitive game is dying on the vine from a drought of new product and an overabundance of silence. Why is there so little support and communication around this product line? Is it not profitable enough? Are all of the other products filling up the production pipeline? Is there some legal or licensing issues around the game? Are you expecting skirmish players to jump to Legion or other FFG products?

Thank you for your time, consideration, and all the hard work you and the team at FFG put into enabling us to all share in playing and creating memories together.

This is easily my favorite FFG Product, and I have been really disappointed by its level of support over the last year or two.

So same questions. At the very least I would be interested in knowing whether or not a 2.0 box or future physical product are remotely possible. In case it is misread in any way, I AM in fact begging for IA’s competitive life here.

Thank you!

Three questions asked in order of importance to me:

3. Video game board games, will we get more of them? Would love to see an XCOM 2, expansion or new board game. If not we will also accept another Fallout expansion in exchange. We are loving the video game board games though!

2. Imperial Assault, is there any way we can get some more content for it? How about Clone Wars content? Clone Wars is so hot right now hahaha.

And most importantly:

1. Lord of the Rings LCG, can you please allay our fears and tell us there is another cycle after the current one planned? The world is in love with this game and the length of time it's been out and how it continues to sell out should show how popular and financially viable it is for FFG. The Marvel one looks cool and if you guys ever came out with a Stars Wars cooperative one I would get in on that too. But nothing tops LOTR for many of us and hoping to see more.

Hello Andrew,

1) Do you think community outreach from your various teams will become a higher priority in the days to come? There seems to be a lack of communication to the customers on many fronts as a company... Take heart, we love your products! We just wish we got more frequent updates on their status. (Example: the mother of dragons playmat that took a year from purchase-received in the A Game of Thrones: The Board Game)

2) Is Imperial Assault confirmed to be dead? As in no future plastics or campaign updates aside from the App?

Edited by King_Balrog

At what sport or martial art are you best?

I'm aware that this question might sound a bit confrontational, and if this is skipped over I'm fine with that. But if you would answer a more controversial question, here it is:

Are you aware, that you seem to have a huge issue in communicating with your "core" audience? A lot of your favourite game lines are put on hold without any explanation (prominent examples are IA and D2E), and there is no direct communication in your forums.

I guess this would be understandable, if you'd primarily try to reach more casual buyers by targeting the mass market, but this is not the same audience that is buying 10+ expansions for your games, or would even try to keep them alive by producing community driven content when you no longer support games directly.

So are there any plans to improve communication in your forums at all?

Can't believe no one has mentioned Star Wars Destiny yet.

So I will: I'm intrigued by the game, I invested pretty heavily in the first block and played for a bit - I really like the tactile feel of the dice. There's just something enjoyable about it.

BUT there are two things keeping me from pulling the trigger and coming back and I'd like to ask how FFG will address them (if at all)

1. Player-base size: I already play and collect Pokemon with my oldest son. There are plenty of shops around my area (D/FW) that support the game and there are frequent tournaments/regular play dates. Destiny has one store out here. And I think their tournament is every other week. Have you ever thought of adopting Magic's Friday Night Magic type of OP? It feels like getting more promos out there - even fancy sparkle promo dice? would be a great way to incentivize stores to carry and market the game for you.

2. Pricing: This may be what worries me the most. There is ZERO price stability in sealed product for this game. A few weeks ago I almost bought a case of Legacies for 60CAD. It looks like you might've spanked that store because now they're selling for 30CAD - but that's insane. You don't help the matter with the holiday sales on Asmodee or Best Buy liquidating the 2-player boxes for $5 a piece. This type of fall-off is very worrisome for a COLLECTIBLE game. Its like every set you release becomes Fallen Empires after a few months.

4 hours ago, any2cards said:

What is the future of Descent ...

Will FFG ever produce the missing 12 Heroes from D1e for D2e?

Will there be any further development for D2e (*** NOT *** for the app, but physical content)?

Will there be a D3e?

I hope we will get the answers!

Will FFG have a presence at BGG.com Convention in Novemember? If so, what can we expect to see/hear from you? Will you be making any major announcements?