AMA with Andrew Navaro

By FFGEvan, in News

Hello, Andrew

first i would like to congratulate you on the excellent Star Wars line of gamers you provided and especially Imperial Assault.

I would like to note that regarding Imperial Assault, the Campaign part is awesome and requires little to no tweaking, especially

after your excellent support with Legends of the Alliance App.

I would only like to see more weapons, traps,condition cards (burn, poison, immobilise,a la descent) and agenda cards.

Also you could upgrade the heroes, by releasing new skirmish upgrades or brand new cards. (e.g. Captain Solo with new abilities)

Maybe you could use the Upgrade booster pack method you used with Legion instead of releasing full expansion boxes.

FInally i would like to NOTE that in Legends of the Alliance App you have FIXED many many old Imperial Assault cards by giving them excellent new abilities and bonus skills (Stromtroopers, Dengar, Boba Fett and 0-0-0 come in mind for instance)

WH dont you release those excellently refined abilities as new character cards to create an Imperial Assault Skirmish Only Second Edition?

The Legion figures are excellent and we already buy them to use on your excellent RPG line, and maybe these figures could be released

in the future as Legion-Imperial Assault cross compatible.

Legion pushed Star Wars forward in the open warfare scale, we would really like to see this excellent skirmish action return to the tight corridors

of starships and bases for Imperial Assault Skirmish Second Edition,

Thanks again for everything you gave us so far!!!

9 hours ago, Tvboy said:

I would also like to know if FFG has given any thought to converting Imperial Assault to a skirmish- focused game and switch to figure pack waves without spending all the time designing new campaigns for big box expansions.

I would be happy if we just got 1 new figure and 3 command cards for each faction once or twice a year.

exactly and i thing we should have the return of idividual weapons and equipment cards being carried by figures in skirmish and weapon configuration options as in Legion. there should be loot boxes scattered in skirmish maps where the figures could pick up new weapon cards and upgrades. Also there should be a decrease and removal of cards that should be included de facto to certain cards (e.g. Heavy Armor command card should be inserted to any Vehicle Card like in Xwing as a vehicle ability)

On 8/21/2019 at 8:58 PM, ManateeX said:

I'm also curious as to what the future of Imperial Assault might be (particularly skirmish), and, if the answer is still that there is no physical product in the works, my followup question would be: why? I've never had more fun with tabletop gaming than I have with this fantastic game, but then it all just sort of went away without any communication from FFG one way or another. I'd just love to know if there was some specific reason that this game has been essentially discontinued (again from a skirmish point of view), or was it just more a matter of shifting priorities to newer games like Legion?

And thanks again for making such a great game to begin with - as I said up top, it's the most fun I've had with plastic and cardboard.

Theres no reason to SHIFT from IA to LEGION, these 2 products can co-exist and complement each other.

They could share the same figures, and when a Legion squad enters an underground base or an installation, we would have imperial assault skirmish rules to apply.

I dont mean that the 2 games will be linked , just that IA could also have weapons, weapon configurations, crates, and more tactical depth, with lesser random command cards, and could serve as Legions little brother for tight corridor warfare

Hi Andrew!

Couple questions:

1) Avid Arkham LCG player here. Loved the Gencon announcement for Marvel Champions. Seeing the player cards and scenario cards separated seemed like a great idea and a game changer. Any chance we could get that kind of split up for Arkham?

2) As an LCG player I would love to see a draft (cube) based product. I know the market is niche but if you guys released a product that was meant for cubing I think it would alleviate a lot of the problems other LCGs ran into. Have you guys ever thought of this? And if not is it something you'd be willing to explore?

3) Most of the competitive card games you guys make don't really get designed with 2v2 in mind. Would love to see some 2v2 support in future games. Any thoughts on the challenges in designing around competitive 2v2?

I want to echo everyone else who has asked for more Terrinoth games. I love and have many expansion for Runebound 3, Descent 2, and Heroes of Terrinoth. I may be in the minority, but when I play board games I want to play board game IP's, not video game or movie IP's. I love the art and the recurring heroes in Terrinoth games, and also some of the repeated themes (acts, feats, surges, perils).

Edited by Jubez187

I would just like to know if the Runbound: Unbreakable Bonds, will it get one more print run. It seems to be in demand judging by the price gouging on Ebay and Amazon... Would FFG ever use anything like a p500 system?

Will we ever get a Co-op Star Wars lcg?

On the card game side, a lot of the current competitive experiences seem to be trending towards long play-times. Which is honestly fine by me, since they definitely have a experience you can't get anywhere else. That might be a turn-off for some people though. Do you think we'll ever see a competitive LCG with a short play time? Maybe that could go best 2 out of 3 rounds? Or maybe one that has a digital client? (Or is digital-only?)

The Marvel announcement definitely caught people's attention, especially with the whole "you only need one core set" thing. Is this going to be a trend going forward, or will this be something specific for this game? And any chance we could see that work it's way backwards to some existing games? I feel like the Arkham LCG core could definitely use it, since it really does feel bad to buy a second copy and not be able to use half the cards it comes with due to all the scenario cards. And it'd be nice to be able to actually build a legal deck out of what's in the L5R core, since it's really a bad look for new players.

Any hints to what FFI's also been working on, or to when they're going to be announced? They've mentioned in the past that they have more non-LOTR projects in the works, but havn't said what.

Two questions:
1) The space for narrative dungeon crawlers has gotten very full lately. Gloomhaven, Sword & Sorcery, Middara, and others. How do you feel Descent 2nd Edition is positioned in the current market and what might you do differently about Descent 3rd Edition, if there is one?

2) Can we please have more content for Twilight Imperium 4th Edition?

Hi Andrew,

Longtime FFG fan.

With the downfall of Netrunner, I've been keeping my eyes open for a new competitive game to sink my teeth into. AGoT isn't my thing, L5R is interesting but the games are super long, and the collectible model of Destiny has made it prohibitively expensive to get into for me (though I did play for a while; I just found it too expensive and loathed the waste of having tons extra copies of common cards which I would never need that many of). The FFG strategy for LCGs seems to be shifting exclusively to coops at the moment. While those are great, are there any plans in the works to explore any other competitive LCG style games in the future? I'd love to see something that incorporated Destiny's chunky dice with some interesting asymmetric gameplay.

1 hour ago, Fiat Luke said:

Hi Andrew,

Longtime FFG fan.

With the downfall of Netrunner, I've been keeping my eyes open for a new competitive game to sink my teeth into. AGoT isn't my thing, L5R is interesting but the games are super long, and the collectible model of Destiny has made it prohibitively expensive to get into for me (though I did play for a while; I just found it too expensive and loathed the waste of having tons extra copies of common cards which I would never need that many of). The FFG strategy for LCGs seems to be shifting exclusively to coops at the moment. While those are great, are there any plans in the works to explore any other competitive LCG style games in the future? I'd love to see something that incorporated Destiny's chunky dice with some interesting asymmetric gameplay.

Sadly, it seems the competitive LCG has been axed. A few of us saw this coming the moment they announced Destiny, but I think more are on board now after the release of Keyforge.

It's a shame really. FFG has decided they'll make more money from the predatory TCG/Unique model rather than by building brand loyalty with LCGs.

Hi Andrew,

First of all, as a huge fan of your games I'd like to thank you all for the great gaming experience you give us with your games!

My questions are:

1) will we see any new Empire/Rebellion ships in Star Wars: Armada after it's shift to Clone Wars next year?

2) Will there be any extensions for Twillight Emperium 4th edition?

Hello!

I would love to have more physical Descent 2nd (an amazing game) expansions and also for Runebound 3rd. Could we expect news from that perspective?

Hello, Andrew. Thank you for taking the time to do this Q&A.

Given the similarity between Star Wars: Imperial Assualt and Descent, is there a reasonable likelihood of future IA development in the style of the "Heroes & Monsters" releases?

Hey can we get some plastic Ewoks at some point. come on I have been waiting for years.

Hi Andrew, second question:

What is going on with the Upcoming page? I really like checking that out to know when to expect stuff at my LGS. Lately a lot of the products (Arkham Horror LCG in particular) seem to be way off. Can we get some more TLC for that page please? Thanks!

Hi Andrew, huge congrats to everyone at FFG working on the Star Wars RPG line.

With only one product shown to be in the pipeline, Gadgets and Gear, can you confirm that there’s plenty more to come in the line?

Thanks.

Hello! First of all, FFG is still my favourite boardgame publisher and I'm sure it's also because of your hard work, so thank you very much!

I have a fewquestions:

Imagine you have the chance to make a board game using any existing IP. Which one would you chose?

Is there any chance we will get a boardgame using the Marvel universe? Don't get me wrong, the LCG is looking great and probably will be the first LCG I will get into, I'm just more into big boardgames rather than card games.

Looking at the new core set of SW: Legion and expansions for X-Wing, I'm glad you are finally getting more into other Star Wars eras than the original trilogy. Can we expect some new titles set in the Clone Wars or the Resistance era?

Thanks a lot!

- Daniel

Can we get a FFG Wheel of Time LCG already? 🙂 😉

Hello Andrew

Will Yoda finally show up as a miniature in IA sometime ?

Best

Mumrik

Hi Andrew, a couple of questions.

- Will there be more games of the Marvel Universe? If so, What kind of games are you working on?

- Which is the future of Terrinoth? Do you have new games in mind with this particular setting?

H ello, Andre w. Thank you for your hard work making the best Star Wars content from any medium out there.

Just a few questions.

1. Any plans for Resistance / FO factions after Clone Wars for Armada?

2. Any 3x6 mats planned for Armada?

3. Any campaigns planned for X-Wing?

4. Any plans for releasing X-Wing, Armada, Legion in Korea? Korea's Star Wars fanbase is growing due to high quality Star Wars games from FFG. (There are many user translation due to no Korean versions atm)

koreanjedi

Edited by koreanjedi

How often do they plan on releasing card packs for X-Wing TMG?

Will tariffs on Chinese goods effect the prices of X-Wing product?

Will they continue the aggressive release schedule they've had this year in 2020?

Is there a target % in each wave of how new ships vs. re-releases?

I know you’ve said FFG has no current plans for more physical Imperial Assault content, but what about a Republic Assault game that covers the Clone Wars? ;D

I would personally love to see it use an app much like Journeys in Middle Earth, which was done very well!

As a long time FFG Card game player (since Netrunner), I've seen a lot of amazing things in FFG card games, as well as some issues. While I did not invest in or enjoy every LCG, I tried them all out, but only stuck with Android: Netrunner, Warhammer: Invasion, and Warhammer 40K: Conquest. I now play Star Wars: Destiny and KeyForge very regularly, even organizing and advertising events for Keyforge locally for multiple stores. So with that run-down of my background, here are my questions:

1) Is there any plans on attempting another competitive LCG? Neither Game of Thrones or L5R really took off in my area but we have had people all over play a variety of LCGs over the years. I would love to get behind another LCG.

2) Any thought on taking the Conquest system and applying it to another IP? Many of us who played it thought it was one of the best card game systems we've ever played. And it feels like it could be applied to a ton of IPs (both original or from other licenses)

3) Since you all have worked with Bethesda on board games, could we possibly see an Elder Scrolls game in the future? Possibly as an LCG? Or even some sort of Unique Game System?

4) It's not unknown that Star Wars: Destiny seems to be dwindling both in terms of support and sales. Many local communities have shrunk, game balance issues and immediate errata on release, and online sales with drastically reduced cost on product make people think the game is on it's way out. While I know you cannot comment on when Star Wars: Destiny may end, can you comment on how far out you all have current plans for? And has there been any thought it using the Dice Duel System on other IPs, perhaps even cleaning up and refining the rules? I would love to see a non-collectible Marvel Destiny game, or even something using a fresh IP.

5) I was one of the many fans of the Android IP on Netrunner. Before Gen Con, I was anxious and hoping a new game would be announced with that IP. Has there been any plans on using all the material developed for Android for a new game? Perhaps something community based like an LCG? Netrunner still has a passionate community and I bet another competitive game using the IP would grab a lot of people's interest.

6) Lastly, I would like to comment on organized play and community support. As you and many other FFG employees have admitted, FFG has struggle with proper OP for their games in the past, as well as poor communication with the community, or programs to assist in community building. As myself and many others know, FFG games have enormous communities that help drive these games forward and make them the success they are. What are the plans to improve not only organize play, but community outreach and helping these communities grow and connect? I've seen some work done for Keyforge, but that seems to have been falling short with delayed OP kits and announcements earlier in the year that have yet to come to fruition (i.e. local team play and tracking games within them). Many of us want to see Keyforge and other FFG games succeed as they are the games we are most passionate about. What do you all hope to accomplish with these games and how do you all hope to keep them growing?

Thank you for your time and all the amazing games FFG has put out over the years. FFG continues to innovate in an industry that has honestly become somewhat bloated with rehashed games and themes. If there is a company always looking to do something new, FFG is it?