AMA with Andrew Navaro

By FFGEvan, in News

A second question; I understand different products have different life cycles that can be profitable and good for the consumer. Some are short-lived, boom-and-bust with explosive launches, but a natural tailing off of interest - and having the next 'exciting new thing' ready to recapture those players, while others maintain a slow but steady presence (e.g. Lotr LCG?). What I'm curious about is whether games are designed with those life cycles in mind, whether it's possible to predict (or at least, look back and indentify) factors that tend to lead to a game having more staying power, or be easier/more profitable to maintain on a smaller scale.

1 hour ago, Giorgio said:

Hooray!

*grins hopefully* Does this mean we can also get answers to the rest of our questions?

Thanks for taking the time to do this! Would also love to hear

1) Will Imperial Assault ever get more physical content beyond playmats (Raid mode doesn't intrigue me, honestly). I played campaign and was a competitive skirmish player and when it was said at a Q&A that there was no more physical content in development, the competitive scene locally and abroad was decimated.

2) also would love to hear more about LOTR Journeys in Middle Earth future plans. Right now the price tag does not feel worth the value or depth the game brings.

3) Destiny. What's the long turn plan? Can we expect this game to fizzle out and die and be neglected as your company looks towards the next shiny new product (much as happened to IA with Legion)?

Thanks for the great products you bring!

Hi Andrew,

I am curious how the process is to get something approved by Disney for Star Wars. Are they particularly strict? Which materials are you allowed to use?

Is there any chance we will see more content for Imperial Assault? There is quite an active community for this game and you would earn their eternal gratitude if there would be some kind of continuity to the project (be it 2nd edition, more campaigns, maybe Clone Wars/Rogue1 expansion?)

On the future evolution of FFG's game realm setting 'Mennara and Terrinoth':

Would FFG consider ideas that brought overlapping aspects of their Terrinoth games together (such as minis and map tiles suited to different games, possibly with innovations in how the game is mapped out) and further enabling player-fans of the world to create their own content for the games (building on innovations such as the Descent Quest Vault and Genesys Foundry), both of which could play a role in invigorating and growing the setting to build on the enthusiasm recent products and the app have seeded for the setting?

On new possibilities:

As it is another avenue FFG could explore for content beyond core games and expansions, have FFG considered the possibility of 3d printable content for their games in future? With FFG branching out into novels maybe other related content such as soundtracks- VTT support has already been asked about here- so these kinds of things and also maybe players being able to create content for them.

And a suggestion for all the questions and feedback here during and after the AMA- there are some really good questions here, even those that relate to games I don't play are worth answering for the communities of players who do, so perhaps if the FFG team collectively could do so it would be worth answering them all at some point- including after the AMA should there not be time in the AMA (as will very probably be the case). I think there are also the seeds of things that might be good guidance for FFG's future development strategies so they could be a useful springboard for your teams brainstorming some ideas and what-ifs, the ideas and questions here are quite useful in that respect, both as good feedback and maybe some good ideas.

So it's worth making use of and responding to.

Edited by Watercolour Dragon
3D printing
On 8/21/2019 at 5:51 PM, jacksladd said:

I was very, very excited at your announcement of your partnership with Marvel and the Marvel champions LCG. What I would love to know, as an avid role player is, are there any plans for a Marvel Rpg from FFG and the other thing that would get me very excited would be confirming that you will be using the fantastic four in the Marvel champions LCG.

Even as a non-Marvel fan if FFG could get permission to do a Genesys tie-in this could be really good for Genesys building it's player base, so good question.

Hello Andrew,

Given the enormous scope for expansion of physical product that Imperial Assault has, coupled with a lot of creative room for manoeuvre with a second edition and/or meta game changes , what are the reasons for the sudden halt in development of this product line?

Lotr lcg 2p starter ever getting its own release?

Thank you for this- I think Andrew answered the questions respectfully and candidly, and actually gave some concrete answers which we've not always got in the past. Also made some good points defending some of the rationale behind decisions such as the increase in games output changing how releases need to be planned to thrive in a much more crowded marketplace than a decade ago and why you can't always do all the games/expansions you and your fans would like you to. Enjoyable and informative so appreciated.

Unsurprisingly I'm excited for Terrinoth now, it's really good to finally have a concrete answer to those questions, and I do very much believe the new game will live up to the hype, as well as being wiser than a pure Descent 3 (it sounds like it's not this which could actually be good for both D2e and the new game) which could have killed 2e and thrown out issues and conflicts such as with the move from 1e to 2e, converting or switching etc etc - I feel it will be something new that keeps D2e as its own thing for fans and existing players but takes Terrinoth and where Descent is now somewhere new game wise - so potentially rather than dropping 2e and switching to the new game fans will be able to carry on with the 2e they have and love AND play the new game.

Has the AMA been posted on YouTube? I can't find it on the FFG Videos list.

14 minutes ago, Giorgio said:

Has the AMA been posted on YouTube? I can't find it on the FFG Videos list.

Wasn't up when I looked but it will be, they've got to convert a live recording to an archived one so they tend not to go up straight away.

I can't wait to see what they do with AGOT LCG. I'm saddened that they are slowing down with new content, but glad it's not dead.

Was anything said in regards to a fallout expansion? And did he ever mention the possibility of an elder scrolls board game? 😶

10 hours ago, CBolingJr said:

Was anything said in regards to a fallout expansion? And did he ever mention the possibility of an elder scrolls board game? 😶

Fallout: Yes to more expansions.

ES Boardgame: Not that I recall.

A few things that stood out to me:

(41:38) Star Wars RPG is in active development of new products.

(52:00) A Legend of the Five Rings web-stories printed omnibus is a possibility.

(52:46) A Legend of the Five Rings "grand strategy" board game is a strong possibility if the right idea/pitch is found.

My question is also the simple One: Is there any conceivable way to continue producing new physical product for Imperial Assault--specifically for the skirmish game?

Thanks!

6 hours ago, Hacendator said:

My question is also the simple One: Is there any conceivable way to continue producing new physical product for Imperial Assault--specifically for the skirmish game?

Thanks!

They addressed it. For business reasons, IA is considered a completed line at this point. Reprints are possible, but not planned at any point in the foreseeable future.

Only conceivable way I can see at this point is to buy a 3D printer and make it yourself.

Is there a list of questions that made it to the AMA and were answered?