AMA with Andrew Navaro

By FFGEvan, in News

Hello FFG community!

We're hosting a special AMA (Ask Me Anything) livestream with Fantasy Flight Games Head of Studio Andrew Navaro on August 30 at 4:30 PM Central Time. It's your chance to ask any questions you want—about the FFG design process, Andrew's philosophy games, what might be coming next for your favorite game, and much more.

We'll be streaming on our YouTube and Twitch channels, but you don't have to wait to get your questions in the queue. Write your questions for Andrew in this forum thread, and we'll draw from these questions during our livestream.

We hope to see you there!

What is your philosophy regarding player impact on the storyline and card game in Legend of the Five Rings? Will player impact on the L5R Card Game storyline increase in the next year? Will players get to have impact on the storyline only from tournaments or will there will be non-LCG opportunities available in the future?

Hello Andrew,

Although the new targaryen deluxe box has been announced there has not been any news about the next cycle that should come after the current one in Game of Thrones LCG

Can you share with us what will come for game of thrones player after the current cycle?

Cheers!

The artwork that FFG commissions for L5R is stunning.

My question is below.

How does FFG communicate with the L5R artists from Asia, when needing to commission art, and the artist does not speak English?

Does FFG have an internal translation team to help with these communication issues?

Thanks for your time.

Hello and thank you for doing the Q&A's

Don't know if this is something answerable... but do you guys intend to have any kind of bound book for the L5R stories? Or say a "yearly" book of stories?

Also, will there be more opportunities for the community to effect the story in the future outside of larger tournaments?

Thank you!

What is the future of Descent ...

Will FFG ever produce the missing 12 Heroes from D1e for D2e?

Will there be any further development for D2e (*** NOT *** for the app, but physical content)?

Will there be a D3e?

EDIT: Why is the D2e Quest Vault and its various issues, bugs, etc. completely ignored? It started as BETA about 5+ years ago, and continues in that state today. There would be far more community development for the game if the software simply worked. There is already an extensive bug report thread for the vault, so all it takes is someone at FFG to pay attention. If you don't want to maintain it anymore, would you be willing to provide access to the code, so that the community could host it and maintain it?

Edited by any2cards
Add Content

Hello, Andrew!

First of all, thank you for taking the time for this AMA, and for helping make FFG as awesome as it is!

Can you speak to FFG’s stance regarding publication of smaller, standalone board games as opposed to expanding many of the giant product lines like LCGs and miniatures games? It seems lately you guys at FFG have been focusing a lot more on designing expansions for your already existing games than on designing new games that aren’t necessarily connected to a given IP, and I wondered if that was an intentional part of your design philosophy, or if that’s just how the dice fell, so to speak.

Also, does the OP department have any plans for LotR LCG or Journeys in Middle Earth outside of Gen Con special releases and annual Fellowship Events?

Thank you!

Edited by Wandalf the Gizzard
-

Hello Andrew,

Is there new products and content coming for Star Wars: Imperial Assault? I would love to see more content for this game and I expect the entire community would too. On a whole what we have so far for this game is brilliant across the myriad game modes and there's an incredible wealth of potential content in the Star Wars universe. These amazing untapped possibilities cause me a equal amount of frustration because my favorite competitive game is dying on the vine from a drought of new product and an overabundance of silence. Why is there so little support and communication around this product line? Is it not profitable enough? Are all of the other products filling up the production pipeline? Is there some legal or licensing issues around the game? Are you expecting skirmish players to jump to Legion or other FFG products?

Thank you for your time, consideration, and all the hard work you and the team at FFG put into enabling us to all share in playing and creating memories together.

Edited by MatsuRobun

Can you comment about the recent print runs of Mansions of Madness 2e containing different miniatures (which many of us tend to believe look superior to prior prints)? Are there any plans to make the new sculpts available to individuals who purchased older copies of the game?

OLD images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT0xsVaFIGPhodL5vsOdLa images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQKttJGdpH2qSVAgvukioX NEW pic4849738.jpg pic4849743.jpg

Hi Andrew,

I'm a card-carrying FFG fan -- bi-monthly TI games, full Legion, Armada and IA fleets, and far too many Destiny dice for a New York apartment -- so first wanted to say thank you and "keep it up!"

I had two broad questions that I've seen a lot of passionate debate around in the community, and would love whatever insight you can provide:

1.) How are you thinking about expanding the channels & uses for FFG's incredible IP? A Netrunner or Twilight Imperium TV series or video game would be great content and effective marketing.

2.) Can you speak to some of the challenges with board game production (long lead times, factory minimums, forecasting)? I hear a lot of frustration from players chasing that last Armada Arquitens, and thought it would be helpful to understand the context and decision-making.

Thank you for doing this!

Cheers,

Blake

What is the forecast for Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth? Can we expect a comparable frequency of new content to that of Mansions of Madness 2e?

Thanks!

Edited by Sgt Elms
Just wanted to add "Thanks!"

Thanks for doing this and the Q&A at Gen Con as well.

Heroes of Terrinoth. Love the game and it's predecessor (warhammer quest adventure card game). Is this game a one and done or can we expect some form of expansion? Seems like a lot of effort to go to the trouble to re-skin a game/game system that was crying out for expansions and then do no expansions on the re-skinned game. Would love to see it. The underlying gameplay system is fantastic and fun.

26 minutes ago, any2cards said:

What is the future of Descent ...

Will FFG ever produce the missing 12 Heroes from D1e for D2e?

Will there be any further development for D2e (*** NOT *** for the app, but physical content)?

Will there be a D3e?

I second those questions as well 🙂

What's next for Terrinoth? When can we see an update for Descent: Journeys in the Dark?

1 minute ago, MercuryMike said:

I second those questions as well 🙂

I third those questions! 😀

Can you give us any hints on the future of the Star Wars RPG lines? Historically, compilation books like we're starting to see have suggested the well was close to running dry, but the three Era books have been some of the best content written so far. Are we nearing the end or can we expect more new books beyond just compilations?

This is my favorite RPG in 25 years of playing RPGs and I would love to see new content for another decade (and with Star Wars, I am sure there is plenty of source material to draw on). Thanks for all the great work on these lines so far!

(And yes, Genesys is great too, but it's not Star Wars.)

What is your plan for releasing the next cycle in L5R? a 6 in 6 weeks format or once a month? I prefer the 6 in 6 weeks as it makes tournament organizing much easier.

I have a couple of questions:

- Being the Head of Studio, what's the biggest difficulty you've faced so far? Was it something you were aware of before you took the position? If so, what was something you weren't prepared for (either positive or negative)?

- Having published Arkham Horror Files board games such as Arkham Horror 3e, Eldritch Horror, Mansions of Madness 2e, and to lesser extent Elder Sign and Arkham Horror the Card Game, how did you come to the decision to publish Final Hour? With Arkham Horror 3e being pretty new, don't you run the risk of oversaturating your library with games that look very similar in theme, especially with games that re-use a lot of artwork?

- If given free rein, licensing/money/time not being an issue, what IP would you love to have included in FFG's games library?

- Can we expect more Legend of the Five Rings boardgames (so not talking about the LCG or the RPG, but more about games like Battle for Rokugan).

- Speaking of L5R, have you ever considered publishing an audio drama? L5R is so rich in lore, I think the IP would lend itself pretty well to that format.

- With games already lost due to licensing issues, such as the Warhammer games and Netrunner, how important is it for you to push FFG's own IPs? While creating an own IP surely takes more time, you also have more control over it and the games you create with it, correct? I'm already seeing comments from worried people looking to buy Marvel Champions when it's released, asking what the likelihood is of the game being dropped due to licensing (especially with the news about Disney and Sony duking it out again over Spider-Man).

- And speaking of people worried about games being dropped due to licensing issues, what's your stance on communication towards your consumers? During the inflight report during GenCon, there was no mention of games like, for example, the L5R LCG or the Arkham Horror LCG. While I understand that there's times you simply can't talk about things, do you consider putting people's mind at ease to be something FFG should working towards, especially when these worries are unfounded?

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to ask questions like this. I'll understand if you can't answer all of them. ;)

Thanks for this.

What key trends do you see in the markets you are engaged in, and how are those impacting FFG's strategy over short-, medium-, and long- time horizons? (e.g. product mix)

Can I ask why you've stopped producing content for Imperial Assault?

When is Android 2nd Edition happening?

Do you plan a replacement for Netrunner, possibly using a model more similar to KeyForge?

1. Does FFG have to get disney approval for everything before making a anything new for star wars or are yall given alot of free reign on where to go with what to create/release?

2. can you use stuff created by bioware/EA for creating units for your various games?
3. what game would you love to create if you can create any off any property?

What is the future for "A Game of Thrones LCG"?
Do you have new cycles or products planned?

I love Imperial Assault and was saddened when it was announced that no more physical content was planned. As a skirmish player, the reasonings for that didn’t make sense. What would it take for you to make new IA product? Even some sporadic blister packs could help keep the community alive.

Hi Andrew,

Would love to see more content for Imperial Assault , and I know a lot of other fans would, too.

I know that currently the official stance is that you're not currently working on it, but I urge you to reconsider. It's such a fantastic game, and this is set to be a big year for Star Wars- ride that wave with them!

That being said, since nothing officially is in the pipeline, I assume you could probably answer this:

If you personally got to design a new expansion for Imperial Assault, what would be its setting, and what units/heroes/characters would you add?