AMA with Andrew Navaro

By FFGEvan, in News

Hi team,

With the announcement, as well as release of articles, on the new Marvel: Champions game, it has me wondering on how the release of future content will look like? Seeing the Green Goblin expansion shows that villains will be released one at a time, but what about heroes? They (at least from what I can gather) have less total cards than villains, so will they also be released separately? Or will their be products such as “Avengers Pack” which might include multiple heroes at once? Lastly, for released content, are you all planning on releasing only the more popular, mainstream characters? Or are you planning on maybe throwing in a few lesser known characters (such as Moon Knight or Molten Man?)

thanks for everything you’ve done

Imperial Assault, what does the future look like for this game? I have to say I am very hesitant to buy into a future FFG product just given how poor the communication has been between developer and playerbase in regards to IA. I love the game, I love FFG, I understand all games must end, but it would just be nice to get some clarity. ESPECIALLY as this game is community dependent to keep the competitive skirmish game alive.

Thanks for all you do, appreciate the effort.

Hi Andrew,

Questions about the Star Wars RPG:

1- When will we see more of the unusual races such as Neti, Tridactyl, Kitonak etc.

2- Will we ever see a book focused around pets and mounts and combat, with stats and rules for mounts, combat pets and 'vanity' pets, raising creatures, or breeding creatures? (If you played Star Wars Galaxies - anything that was associated with the Creature Handler).

3- The rules for space combat are often seen as difficult to get the hang of or clunky. Are there any plans to take a pass at these to make a smoother system?

4- I really love the rules for creating weapons, armour, upgrades, vehicles etc. Are there any plans to expand on these with more outcomes, schematic types, and success and failure options?

5- Would it be possible to provide some guidelines as to the range of weapon/armour/ship crafting outcomes? It seems possible to make some very high armour, high defence, fast ships in particular, or weapons with lots of special qualities if you are a dedicated crafting character, but they don't seem to fit with the power balance of the game (e.g. you could make a small ship with 2+ defence and high armour and speed 5 and handling +3 but it would just outclass everything else in its category, and probably in larger size categories too).

6- Would it also be possible to expand on some of the ship upgrades and clarify what they can do? What can I fit hangars/storage into, can I make a large-ish ship hold a small starfighter (I'm thinking along the lines of the Phantom and Ghost from Rebels), can I use docking clamps to attach an AT-TE to a Consular class cruiser, can I get an LAAT ATTE transport with a hyperdrive? Stuff like that. Also, any expansions for ground vehicles.

(If you can't tell I'm a fan of vehicles :D )

Many thanks for your time.

Hi, Andrew Navaro,

Any chance you could revive Imperial Assault in 2020 for some awesome new waves? :D I need more IA in my life!
Each and every box expansion has pushed the envelope for Imperial Assault beyond anything a poor consumer could have anticipated, and there is SO much more you could do with this game :)

An Imperial Assault 2.0 would also be cool. Thanks.

Love,
VE

Edited by angelman2
4 hours ago, Matsu_Toritaka said:

Dear Andrew,

We have recently opened this thread in the Arkham Horror LCG forum, we would like very much to hear / read your comments about the problems we are experiencing with the Spanish translation of the game and the reply from FFG Spain about said matter.

Your prompt reply and support will be much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Juan/ Matsu Toritaka

I support this question, in fact, my other question is also related to FFG Spain lack of service and quality.

Edited by Tubb
20 hours ago, seef1033 said:

I understand that games can't last forever. As a big fan who has invested a lot of time and money in Imperial Assault, I feel burned and disillusioned by the manner in which our community is being shut down. What motivation can FFG provide for someone like me to invest in future products when my experience has been the end of a vibrant gaming scene without warning, explanation, or communication?

Perhaps FFG feels that they've hit a wall in terms of additional, unique, interesting content that isn't extremely niche and privvy to lesser known sources, and to develop anything new in the OT wouldn't be gripping enough...aside from Ewoks. ;) If you look at the IA product page, there's already more individual products than with Descent 2e, so there's arguably been more to invest in with IA than with Descent...IMHO, I'd say that it had a good, healthy run in terms of content and was given a considerable amount of attention since it launched. It may just feel like it's being abandoned because it was a narrower time window in which they released everything.

Again. Just my two cents.

As a years-long player of multiple FFG games, I believe FFG produces great games, but could greatly improve at engaging with player communities (such as having community managers and more regular two-way communication) and maintaining expandable competitive games (such as being more aggressive with errata/bans/rotation and promoting ongoing developer engagement with players). Do you believe that these concepts are vital to competing in the modern competitive gaming market? If so, are there any initiatives in progress or planned at FFG to improve in these areas?

Edited by Toggle
typo

Are there any plans for making any more replacement investigator cards for Arkham Horror the LCG? I loved the five we got so far (and the Novellas we got with them were okay too). More novellas, or some other distribution model?

Will there ever be other settings to get an RPG similar to Legacy of Dragonholt?

Will Battlestar Galactica ever make a return?

Will there be any expansions for Civilization: New Dawn or Star Wars: Outer Rim?

Will there ever be more content for Imperial Assault?

Hi from Paris !

What about the futur of Heroes of Terrinoth ? Why we haven't heard any news since the launch of the game ?

Andrew,

Thanks for doing this Q&A. Will we see any more expansions for Fallout the board game? My son and I love the game and would love too see more content. Thanks.

Greg

I'd like to echo some previous posters about having great interest in knowing if there will be any more physical product for Descent 2nd Edition? An update to the Quest Vault to support our modding and writing community would be appreciated as well.

8 hours ago, M Cotton said:

Navaro has admitted before that he's not a TI guy.

Oof. Didn't know that. TI is kind of the bedrock on which FFG stands.

Hey Andrew,

Three things:

1.) Are there any plans to improve the Upcoming page on the FFG website so that the information is more reliable and up-to-date?

2.) Can we get a new version of the official X-Wing app that has a more user-friendly interface?

3.) Please renew the Blizzard license! I'd love to see a reprint or new edition of StarCraft: The Board Game (the game that first introduced me to FFG!) as well as see new games based on Blizzard products.

Thanks!

Dear Andrew,

Will you swear here and now to forego all future development on any product lines save for Twilight Imperium? Also, is it difficult to sleep at night knowing you are sitting on the greatest game ever developed but have still not pushed out any 4th edition expansions?

Finally, how can I get hair as lustrous and wavy as yours?

Thanks!

Edited by MuaatFTW

Here to echo what several others have said. We would all desperately like some more Imperial Assault. It's not really about how much is already out there. There are just some of us who feel that our collection will not be complete until we get those last few things like Yoda. I know that future physical products aren't planned at this time, but can you tell us at all about what factored into that decision? Was it sales? The feeling that you had done as much as you could with the game, and that more product would just be of inferior quality? Or some other factor?

I'd also like to know about FFG's process for when it decides to stop supporting a product or product line. A lot of us in the IA community have given up hope of EVER seeing more physical content. Those people may miss it if it ever finally comes. Do all FFG products get an announcement saying "Hey, this thing is ending" the way that Star Wars TCG did? Without that announcement, is there always the possibility/likelyhood of a product getting an update?

Is there a possibility of an Imperial Assault-like game using either the Clone Wars, or the current movies? Which could be like Imperial Assault 2.0.

FFG has made a transition for their the dungeon-crawl, adventure games like Mansions of Madness 1st ed., Descent 1st where the game operates normally (meaning with no app support), to Imperial Assault and Descent 2nd where the game was stand-alone, but later gained app support for automation, to finally Mansions of Madness 2nd and Lord of the Rings, Journeys in Middle Earth which are completely app-dependent. Personally, I prefer the games in the middle of this transition as they will always be playable regards of apps and computers but also still benefit from the added functionality of the apps. Is it FFG's intention to continue in the progression in making games which are completely app dependent exclusively for the adventure style games?

Are there plans for future Elder Sign physical expansions?

4 hours ago, GroggyGolem said:

Oof. Didn't know that. TI is kind of the bedrock on which FFG stands.

It wasn't an expression of distaste or anything like that. Just that he never really has a chance to play it. Which is understandable considering the size of the thing. lol

Long time lurker, first time poster. First, let me say that I love FFG -- your products have been my re-introduction to board and tabletop gaming. So thank you.

As an unapologetic lover of the current Star Wars trilogy, my question is simple: Are there plans to introduce the Resistance and First Order into any of FFG's other (non X-Wing) Star Wars miniatures games? Armada? Legion? Imperial Assault?

Hello Andrew, please tell us there's a Runebound expansion coming. I love third edition, especially the combat and skill systems! :)

Hey Andrew,

I think most of my questions are covered above. However, I would like to take a slightly different tact.

FFG has always developed game systems with the aim of supporting those systems with multiple releases or expansions. I am thinking here of the LCG ranges, Descent 2.0 and Imperial Assault. More recently we have seen some titles released with a much shorter life span such as Runebound 3e, others with a much slower release timetable e.g. Arkham Horror 3e and some others which seemingly were going to get further expansions but didn't e.g. Heroes of Terrinoth.

Please could you explain what the plans are for these particular games and what factors influence the decisions around expanding game content.

Also can you say whether we are beginning to see a change in how FFG operates with fewer new titles and a more focused approach to expansions i.e. not all titles will necessarily get expansion content. And is this new strategy a reaction to an increasingly flooded board game market, the impact of Kickstarter or other factors.

Thanks for doing this.

Is there any potential for a new competitive LCG, or has the market changed so that they are not as viable as they once were?

I'd like to jump on the Descent and Terrinoth bandwagon and ask you what's in the pipeline for it?

You went through a rebranding from Runebound to Terrinoth a year and a half ago now but since then it's all been a bit quiet. We've had Heroes of Terrinoth (which I love but which doesn't appear to be being supported beyond the base game), a Terrinoth setting for Genesys (which I'm not too fussed about to be honest), a small physical update for Descent 2nd Edition (which appears to be a final, low-cost add on to please the completionists) and a campaign for Road to Legend (which is greatly appreciated). It's certainly not nothing but it's a far cry from the kind of content an awful lot of Descent/Terrinoth fans are calling for - as evidenced by the number of posts on the subject in this forum.

I appreciate Terrinoth may not be in the same cash cow category as Star Wars or Marvel but it still appears to have sold pretty well. Please either tell us you have exciting plans for the future or put us out of our misery once and for all and tell us you've finally ditched Terrinoth for Star Wars, Marvel et al because it's just not putting the food on the table!