What's coming next? つ ◕◕ ༽つ Summon New Announcement ! つ ◕◕ ༽つ

By Odanan, in X-Wing

BTW, have you noticed the TIE Interceptor, TIE Reaper and Imperial Star Destroyer II appeared in Jedi Fallen Order over a decade before they where actually built? How Pablo Hidalgo missed that one? (and the whole TRoS script actually).

10 minutes ago, Odanan said:

BTW, have you noticed the TIE Interceptor, TIE Reaper and Imperial Star Destroyer II appeared in Jedi Fallen Order over a decade before they where actually built? How Pablo Hidalgo missed that one? (and the whole TRoS script actually).

It is the creators themselves not understanding how dependent they are on all the continuity they want to be allowed to throw out the window whenever it gets in the way while being free to use it as shortcut for setting up the intuitive sense of the frameworks of the story. The creators don't get how much they need the past they want to kill. The creators don't get how much it informs their own intuitive sense of the story and the expectations they want to subvert.

On 3/21/2020 at 12:06 AM, Odanan said:

I'm not proficient in X-Wing Second Edition (the text abilities could use some heavy work), but what would you think about something like this?

qgHTMQj.jpg

To go with this?

TLJBcOr.jpg

It has the Jam action, definitely:

j2287564ser41.jpg

You know that thing is a fan made cross section, right?

8 hours ago, funwok said:

You know that thing is a fan made cross section, right?

I certainly didn't!

May 4th be with you!

Any previews/announcements today?

8 hours ago, Odanan said:

May 4th be with you!

Any previews/announcements today?

No, and I doubt ffg will share much in light of the indefinite hold on new content

Don't expect anything in 2020 apart from Wave 7. We'll have to wait and see if X-Wing can survive until 2021/22.

1 hour ago, Stay OT Leader said:

Don't expect anything in 2020 apart from Wave 7. We'll have to wait and see if X-Wing can survive until 2021/22.

As long as ffg itself can survive, xwing can survive. The fan base isn’t moving on to other games when they can’t play those either games either

3 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

As long as ffg itself can survive, xwing can survive. The fan base isn’t moving on to other games when they can’t play those either games either

I hope you are right.

Anyway, I just finished reading the TIE Fighter comics - it's actually quite good. It makes me want so much to see more stuff about Imperial pilots, like a TV series or a PC game (like the old TIE Fighter).

4 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

I think Fly Casual, TTS and Vassal is helping a lot in this way, by keeping people playing those games before getting up again.

I don't think that FFG will fall. They are still releasing Keyforge and Arkham Horror preview during the pandemic. The pandemic will hurt them (as most industries), but I don't think they will close their doors.

I hope that they will have taken the time to think at the ships that they can add in each faction, and bring some new stuff when the pandemic will be softened.

I can't wait to see what new stuff it will be brought

19 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

No, and I doubt ffg will share much in light of the indefinite hold on new content

You're right of course - prevailing conditions being what they are and what not - it would be very hopeful to expect to see anything new before the end of the year. Or Organised Play to resume before then, for that matter.

That being said, wasn't there a quote somewhere or too long ago that said Disney were very impressed by FFG's plans for their product going forward over the next couple of years? Those plans may be on hold, but that doesn't mean they're not in place...

5 hours ago, ScummyRebel said:

The fan base isn’t moving on to other games when they can’t play those either games either

Maybe not, but there's two sort of risks with any hiatus period:

(1) Some players do move on to other games. Right now, I'm sure lots of table-toppers are (re)turning to video games, family games, solo games, or digital boardgame sites or apps for virtual game nights with friends/families/strangers. While virtual options for X-Wing do exist (TTS/Vassal) they aren't quite as new-user friendly or as easy to find opponents. Also, when you start playing X-Wing without the beautiful miniatures, you're sort of left with nothing but the very repetitive game play.

(2) A forced hiatus is sometimes all a person needs to realize their love of an activity has waned over time and they really don't miss it that much. I'm sure lots of X-Wing players are realizing they don't miss X-Wing all that much as they fill that would-have-been-X-Wing time with other hobbies, family time, home projects, and the like, which can make their interest in returning to X-Wing much lower whenever the in-person scene finally returns. I think this happened with the conversion to Second Edition and the portion of regular First-Ed'ers that were lost. These were people who were probably already lukewarm or burning out on the game, but grabbing a few new expansions each year was easy enough to keep up with and hang in there. Then there's this transitional period where now, in order to "keep up," you had to invest a fair amount more time and energy into converting over...and that little bit higher bar of activation energy was enough for those folks to realize that there were, in fact, okay with hanging up the pilot helmet. I suspect this Covid-19 era will have a similar effect on another portion of the community.

There’s a significant third risk: The economy is going to take a biiiiig hit. Disposable income will shrink significantly and it may genuinely be an existential threat for games, games stores and games manufacturers.

8 minutes ago, Stay OT Leader said:

There’s a significant third risk: The economy is going to take a biiiiig hit. Disposable income will shrink significantly and it may genuinely be an existential threat for games, games stores and games manufacturers.

This is likely the biggest risk I see, which is largely why I said if ffg can survive xwing will survive. I’m not sold on FFG’s survival though, not through any wrong-doing on their part. Just how it is.

Which I said on april 1st

Most people have not really realised what major hit the economy all over the world has suffered. Tourism sector is dead right now, supply chaines are broken everywhere, oil prizes are so low that a number of countries probably will be destabilised. If this crisis will be long, people wont have money for purely leisure items, or at least not enough people will have.

1 hour ago, AllWingsStandyingBy said:

Maybe not, but there's two sort of risks with any hiatus period:

(1) Some players do move on to other games. Right now, I'm sure lots of table-toppers are (re)turning to video games, family games, solo games, or digital boardgame sites or apps for virtual game nights with friends/families/strangers. While virtual options for X-Wing do exist (TTS/Vassal) they aren't quite as new-user friendly or as easy to find opponents. Also, when you start playing X-Wing without the beautiful miniatures, you're sort of left with nothing but the very repetitive game play.

(2) A forced hiatus is sometimes all a person needs to realize their love of an activity has waned over time and they really don't miss it that much. I'm sure lots of X-Wing players are realizing they don't miss X-Wing all that much as they fill that would-have-been-X-Wing time with other hobbies, family time, home projects, and the like, which can make their interest in returning to X-Wing much lower whenever the in-person scene finally returns. I think this happened with the conversion to Second Edition and the portion of regular First-Ed'ers that were lost. These were people who were probably already lukewarm or burning out on the game, but grabbing a few new expansions each year was easy enough to keep up with and hang in there. Then there's this transitional period where now, in order to "keep up," you had to invest a fair amount more time and energy into converting over...and that little bit higher bar of activation energy was enough for those folks to realize that there were, in fact, okay with hanging up the pilot helmet. I suspect this Covid-19 era will have a similar effect on another portion of the community.

I've been spending more time with videogames and projects and other hobbies. I find myself a bit reticent to rush right back out into the world other than groceries and going out for my essential work in manufacturing. I've been in a full miser mode with discretionary spending though some of it is going to getting a little extra each trip to the store.

Folks need to get back to work or we're going to start seeing some of the bad outcomes mentioned after your post but I think the risk of re-opening is being downplayed. We're at the mistaking-effective-public-health-precautions-for-over-reaction-to-nothing phase of this thing even though it seems quite clear this is not nothing.

Tbh it’s the post-lockdown period that’s most likely to damage the economy. Right now I’m furloughed and my govt is paying me the large % of my wage to sit at home with my family. Frankly, it’s pretty awesome.

But soon we are going to ‘get back to work’ and that’s when we find that most companies can’t survive in a world where they only do 50% of the trade they used to do but they don’t have any govt support any more. That’s when my job goes, and that’s when I enter a job market crowded with people in the same boat, and that’s when I stop buying X-Wings.

This has only just begun, and it’ll be 20 years til we get back to where we were in 2019. If indeed we ever do in the West.

1 hour ago, Stay OT Leader said:

Tbh it’s the post-lockdown period that’s most likely to damage the economy. Right now I’m furloughed and my govt is paying me the large % of my wage to sit at home with my family. Frankly, it’s pretty awesome.

But soon we are going to ‘get back to work’ and that’s when we find that most companies can’t survive in a world where they only do 50% of the trade they used to do but they don’t have any govt support any more. That’s when my job goes, and that’s when I enter a job market crowded with people in the same boat, and that’s when I stop buying X-Wings.

This has only just begun, and it’ll be 20 years til we get back to where we were in 2019. If indeed we ever do in the West.

Not just that but the chances are not zero that this thing will blow-up again requiring another shutdown. Seems to me we might see businesses opening back up and trying to stick out the slowdown operating at a loss only to find themselves being required to close again. Looking back at the 1918 Influenza Epidemic the "second-wave" was far far worse.

I think also there will be a lot more resistance too and less compliance with a second round of stay-at-home closures. We also have had just mild shortages but I haven't heard of anywhere that all the guys keeping the water on or the electric on getting sick. And largely there have still been groceries.

Edited by Frimmel

...well, if we're doomsaying, why not mention the other heavily armed elephant in the room?

The death toll from Covid-19 in the US outstrips 9/11, Vietnam and Iraq. The current US president has already referred to it as the "Chinese Virus", and China is refusing to work with the WHO in investigating the outbreak.

Once the immediate effects of the pandemic are dealt with, people are going to start asking questions about who's to blame, and, God forbid, what's going to be done about it.

Is this real?

1 hour ago, Vector Strike said:

2575528099215155 From their Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ProTechModels/posts/2575528099215155

Star Wars Xwing - Today we been sent quite an interesting list from a Spanish Distributor/Stockist asking if we want to pre-order any.............. Have i missed some announcements ?

pro-tech.jpg

TIE/rb, Eta-2, V-wing and Droid Tri-Fighter are no-brainers, but what's this Continental (WT) pack?

14 minutes ago, Odanan said:

TIE/rb, Eta-2, V-wing and Droid Tri-Fighter are no-brainers, but what's this Continental (WT) pack?

don't forget TIE/rb, I almost missed it

10 minutes ago, Mu0n729 said:

don't forget TIE/rb, I almost missed it

Literally the first thing he said, and the first word in the quote on your post?

16 minutes ago, GuacCousteau said:

Literally the first thing he said, and the first word in the quote on your post?

It's so easy to miss that I missed it again! See???