MacrossVF1s corner of paint and plasticard

By MacrossVF1, in X-Wing Painting and Modification

Just Great!

The Green A-Wing, and the Little Red Corvette are my favorite!

Your scratch-built stuff is outstanding as well.

Thanks for sharing.

Will the new container be detachable from the ship?

Will the new container be detachable from the ship?

I haven't decided yet. It's certainly possible to make it detachable, I just don't know if it will look good as well.

Following this amazing idea I made a detachable container for a Falcon (with magnets). Hope it helps

On 2015-06-05 at 1:04 AM, Nachofante said:

Following this amazing idea I made a detachable container for a Falcon (with magnets). Hope it helps

I'm no stranger to magnetising models, in fact I'm quite experienced with the procedure. The problem with this model is that the connecting points would have quite a lot of small and delicate parts that might break from repeated connection and detaching. Secondly, when detached, the magnets on the container would be in plain sight, something I just can't stand. Few things look more horrible than a perfectly built and painted model that has some shining magnets ruining its looks.

Anyway, back to the build progress, the container is mostly done at this stage. Of course, this was the easy part, seeing as it's mostly just a box. Those corner pieces however was a dog of a female persuasion to get right.

uc?export=download&id=1nru9vLWHX8BDPfhVf

uc?export=download&id=1LQufADLihUW20rpG5

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Didn't have time for an update yesterday, but have no fear, this one compensates by being bigger than usual!

Anyway, with the container mostly done I've been able to start on the actual ship.

uc?export=download&id=1sxjDdu_EQfwE5oifA

uc?export=download&id=1mguKuqxjBLlExcodg

uc?export=download&id=1cPNZ9HgDBWwDWHqhP

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Very exciting! My SAGA RPG group almost bought a Wayfarer when we realized that the cargo module could be used as a hangar for a fighter... at any rate, I'm interested to see how you put things together. You seem to spend a lot more time & effort on internal bracing than I ever did on 40K scratchbuilds that saw much harder use.

On 2015-06-08 at 3:30 AM, SFC Snuffy said:

Very exciting! My SAGA RPG group almost bought a Wayfarer when we realized that the cargo module could be used as a hangar for a fighter... at any rate, I'm interested to see how you put things together. You seem to spend a lot more time & effort on internal bracing than I ever did on 40K scratchbuilds that saw much harder use.

If I had built this ship for myself I might not have bothered quite as much with internal bracing but seeing as it is a commission, it MUST keep together. I personally can always repair my own models but I can't assume someone else can. Also, due to this model's particular shape (it's not symmetrical in any way) it needs extra structure.

In any case, I've finally decided that it will be more or less impossible to keep the container and ship detachable from each other, so I've glued them together.

uc?export=download&id=1d4XP8rAqYyqpoBxeS

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Today's update may not look like much but there's actually quite a few additional structures that has been added. With the exception of the bridge/cockpit, there's not much left to do but add details.

uc?export=download&id=1s-P_W-ymBbgSbBx-P

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

I've finally started on the cockpit/bridge. This is something I've been dreading as round shapes are difficult to do with plasticard. I basically started with two blocks of plasticard (one solid 2mm piece and the other is two 2mm pieces glued together) which I've cut, filed and sanded down to the desired shape. Dremel type rotary tools are invaluable for this.

uc?export=download&id=1X1iMUYdHmvcOBUv_q

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

That's nice! It's really coming together... there are some differences compared to the artwork, but I think it's recognizable. I'm particularly interested to see how you interpret the aft & underside.

Plasticard genius , Macross. Wow.

On 2015-06-10 at 11:14 PM, SFC Snuffy said:

That's nice! It's really coming together... there are some differences compared to the artwork, but I think it's recognizable. I'm particularly interested to see how you interpret the aft & underside.

There will always differences between the finished model and the artwork. In this particular case I've had to do quite a lot of guesswork seeing as there's very little information and pictures of the ship. I do know that the commissioner is pleased with the model so I must have done something right. :)

On 2015-06-10 at 11:59 PM, jme said:

Plasticard genius , Macross. Wow.

More of that, please! :D

Anyway the ship is finished! Well the build part at least. I'm planning to paint it similar to the artwork.

uc?export=download&id=1TDnVbUtS96NrDjGPz

uc?export=download&id=1hnMxJdEh11CEcA4Sg

uc?export=download&id=1vMiCYs9Xhc0Zz75P3

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Wow!

Well done! I like such detail level on that panels and the finished bridge .

I can't wait to see it painted!

Oooh, that's one of my fave Star Wars ship designs! Shame you don't make resin copies of sculpts/builds like that...

Accidental double-post

Edited by Kepora

Oooh, that's one of my fave Star Wars ship designs! Shame you don't make resin copies of sculpts/builds like that...

This particular model would probably not work well in resin. It would be prohibitivley heavy and most likely break normal flight stands.

This particular model would probably not work well in resin. It would be prohibitivley heavy and most likely break normal flight stands.

Not even using slush molding?

The Wayfarer is finally painted!

uc?export=download&id=1j8goGl8IhWe7reAUr

uc?export=download&id=1Jq90m9F8xgZFKyQEk

uc?export=download&id=1jE6uZBa9Z_Dx59Pcg

Edited by MacrossVF1
Link updates

Wow.. another fantastic build... I wish I could afford to have you do some stuff for me, but I do enjoy looking at your results here.. that is top notch, ecellent work my friend.

That is bloody beautiful!! :o :wub:

Definitely, you're The Plasticard Hero ;) . Amazing paint job, specially your clean highlights.

Have you thought about adding any painting detail (such as serial numbers, or a Star Wars themed graffity) on the container?

Great build and a suitably fantastic paintjob, very impressed with all of your stuff, some bloody amazing paintjobs

Very nice build, good detailling.

One point of critique: the engines look a bit, for lack of a better word, dull. Maybe some OSL or something there could liven them up a bit.