Eldritch Horror Statistics

By Tibs, in General Discussion

SolennelBern, I'll answer you here briefly, but still, I'd invite you (or anyone who wants to dig deeper in the theme) to start a different thread in order not to hijack Tibs' original thread. Indeed, the Keeper's duty is trying to win. You can do this in two different ways: by pushing players obsessively, cornering them and beating the Hell out of their asses, or by building slowly a crescendo ending in a more or less balanced finale. Rules allow Keepers to play very hard on players, so that, when the Keeper considers only his side, 95% of the games will end in scorn and frustration. This is what I intended when saying "Keeper as in RPG": focus on the story. Use your powers to push, but not to break since Room 1. Try to gather enough forces to offer your players a gran finale with balance, instead of reducing them to crummy slaves with one health that you stomp under your heels after event 4 is revealed.

The OL in Descent (1st edition) had a totally different role, and the game was far more balanced (overall; after Heroes start getting silver / golden treasures, it becomes off-balance in favour of the Heroes) - and, honestly, good.

- end of the rant, and apologies for going totally OT -

Okay sorry I'm just a little confused here. I've seen this game compared to Descent that it's enough to comment how much this game IS NOT DESCENT! I wanted to get it too so I watched through the playthrough, read the rules, talked to folks about it at the store, and decided that I wanted to play a GAME, not be a director. I would appologize for "hijacking" the thread but that would be like appologizing for hijacking a vehicle no one has seen fit to get into for a year, but for others who wil see this and maybe think that MoM is a game like Descent, no, just no.

MoM is a "storytelling experience." As you've heard here try to play it like a real game and you will get only "scorn and frustration." (Wait. seriously? Did the game tell you to stop playing it or something?) Descent is not similar to MoM. MoM however is an appropos acronym for a game where the keeper (appropriately named as well) pretty much has to "den mother" all the other players to convince the that they actually have a chance due your largess. So how do you call that a game when one side wins simply because the other side refused to do it's best. That's not a game. That's a crapload of poor design choices tossed in a box......

Hi Guys

Having been playing on the BGG PBF forums over the past few weeks, I was looking to finish a game against Azathoth in the next few days, so I thought I'd tally the points up to give the players an official Score to their game ... at the mo, it's at -1 and won't swing to far from that.

So looking at the stats, I'm confused as to how the best score is at -23, with one or two near that as well ... how the hell does someone get a -23 score!!???

Walts

Edited by Vala_Melkor

Dunno. But I scored a -15, IIRC, in one of my first games. So, I guess it's totally feasible

If you hunt enough clues it can be done, plus bless and the whole shebang.

I don't know, and that's a weird one. The "-23" was in the wrong field (number of investigators devoured, or something) so I moved it into the score field.

For all I know it was a typo. But the next-lowest is -22. I have no idea how these guys are doing it: I haven't even won the game more than once!

Edited by Tibs

And I am at a 100% win ratio in almost 2 dozen games. We only scored one or two of them though. I think it is just from clues and blessings, although there could be bad math involved in them as well.

Hey, I accidentally put my score in as 120 instead of in the game length part. Could you delete it please? I'd be very surprised if I calculated my score as 120 lol - Mash

You also had your time as 100 minutes. Should I change this to 120?

Just pulled out EH after a short hiatus and played my first full game against Yig.

Epic session. I was playing 4 players solo and cycled through 11 of the 12 investigators for a win with 2 Eldritch tokens left on Yiggy. One more mythos turn and I was toast as I had at least 2 gates of each omen type on the board.

Three mysteries with the Children of Yig (pretty easy to defeat) K'y-nan unearthed (gone in 2 turns) and winged serpant (killed 4 investigators before Jim finished him off with the carbine rifle he picked up from Silas 1 space away from Tokyo when Silas succumbed to poison)

I play random investigators so Diana didn't come in until very late and helped save the day. Jim Culver visited 2 defeated investigators before he killed the winged serpant so he got many combat upgrades before confronting Yig with the carbine rifle and Shriviling spell he was able to use over 2 turns to take off 4 health for a final win even with his curse.

But man, if investigators were eliminated during the final mystery the story would be very different.

This really let me appreciate how bad the poison and cursed conditions are as they just keep coming and coming throughout the game as everything else around was falling into chaos.

Yemon

Guardian of the Gates :ph34r:

I don't know, and that's a weird one. The "-23" was in the wrong field (number of investigators devoured, or something) so I moved it into the score field.

For all I know it was a typo. But the next-lowest is -22. I have no idea how these guys are doing it: I haven't even won the game more than once!

In case of game with -23 points, (row 1367) its a mistake, it should probably say -2 or -3 maybe, u can tell just by looking at victory by final mystery.

Game with -22 is from my group, we decided to try to score the lowest score we could.......14 doom track, almost all clues, blessings and 6 -7 hours gameplay. The max score should be -33 if i count corectly (-20 doom track, -12 clues, -3 blessing, +2 1 gate 1 monster - since u end game after mythos and u wont be able to finish it on blue one)

but have fun achieving that...... one game 6-7 hours long playing with no roleplaying, looking only at scores..That game hurt our sanity badly. :D It wasnt worth it..

Humac, I mostly agree with your analysis (and the reported -23 is, I'm sure, a mistake) but I have a couple of nitpicks:

Using FL, you can get up to -6 from blessings, and if you wait to win the game on the last mythos phase, you don't need to draw a card.

So I guess the actual lowest score possible is -38 (if playing with six players, for the six blessings).

Humac, I mostly agree with your analysis (and the reported -23 is, I'm sure, a mistake) but I have a couple of nitpicks:

Using FL, you can get up to -6 from blessings, and if you wait to win the game on the last mythos phase, you don't need to draw a card.

So I guess the actual lowest score possible is -38 (if playing with six players, for the six blessings).

Thanks, and also thanks for reminding me of the existence of FL, gonna buy it today :-D.

I think than rulebook says in section called "winning the game", that investigators lose the game - if they are required to draw a mythos card but cannot because mythos deck is empty". But winning or losing doenst affect counting the points.

So you can spend 6+ hours of saving the world for -36 points.

or

You can doom the world at the end for additional -2 bonus points :D :D .

I like that idea :D .

Edited by Humac

According to the reference sheet, you only score the game if you won.

When attempting to draw a card from an empty mythos deck, you end the mythos phase and then lose the game. If you solved the third mystery on that same round, then when you end the mythos phase you score that mystery and win and lose the game simultaneously.

When this happens, the investigators actually win the game, without opening a gate/spawning a monster.

I truly have hard time remembering and understanding all of these "complex" rules.

Everything make sense now, thanks guys.

Also someone on row 1157 managed to defeat an devour a total number of 13 investigators.

After more than 30 matches and almost six months since i've bought this game (the core game), i'm glad to announce i won my first victory in this game by solving the 4th mystery and Cthullu was my victim. *YAY* Now i can be on the 4% of the people who beat this game by having defeated the final mystery. *YAY again*

Best match i've ever played of eldritch horror, very very thrilling. A LOT of luck was involved too as you'll see on this post.

Start up statistics:

2-players (Diana -me- and Leo). Method: you choose your investigator, but roll randomly to get the AO you'll fight. Forsaken lore expansion + core.

I'll just post the highlights of the match because i don't remember the exact events round by round:

First mystery was to defeat Cthylla (elite monster), i got the carbine in my first round (rolling one success and getting a debt) from the reserve and the shriveling spell. I went from space 7 to Buenos Aires (where i got a random spell -shriveling- in the first round resolution phase after a successful roll). I don't remember if i defeated her on my second or third round. I remember i used the combo (carbine to weaken her in the resolution phase and shriveling to kill her in the next action phase round). Meanwhile, Leo went straight to the pyramids where he retreated the doom track by 1 after solving an expedition encounter with success. When Cthylla was defeated, the doom track was at 11.

Second Mystery was gathering clues (2 clues because of the 2-player match). Move the clues to the nearest sea space. After doing a research encounter with success you get the clue from this encounter and place it on the mystery card. I went after these 2 clues while Leo went to space 16 to resolve a rumor that removes your asset deck every time a reckoning event is triggered. When he solved, just the assets of "1" were removed from the asset deck. Doom track was at 8 when the 2nd mystery was solved.

We thought the game would be easy, but we are playing eldritch horror and this game is never easy (maybe 5% of the time you play and only that). Then, we drew a totally new forsaken lore mystery i've never seen, we had to kill Hydra (our second elite monster in this game ¬¬). Expedition token was in the heart of Africa. Leo was returning from space 16 so we agreed he would try to get the damned artifact so we could kill Hydra. I was poisoned because of an encounter card and it took me a LONG time to get rid of it. I got a poisoned condition that i needed to succeed on a will roll -1 when i rest to discard this card. Diana has 1 of will, so i just roll one die each time i rested to try to get rid of it. And it took me 4 to 5 rounds to get this miserable success ¬¬. When i finally get rid of it. Leo was on my space with the Hydra killing sword (i forget its name now) and gave it to me because i was best prepared (carbine + Diana's passive skill + shriveling spell). He also gave me his fishing net (he also acquired in these rounds i was poisoned) and his 2 allies he got from the reserve using his special influence action skill. Again, the combination of carbine (yeah, the active player need to have the artifact sword to kill the Hydra, but you don't need to use it in the encounter to kill it, you just need it only in your possessions - maybe the presence of the sword with you is enough to weak the monster if you try to imagine in a RPG way) + shriveling killed the hydra. Cthullu was already awakened when we solve the 3rd mystery since a round before. One of the things that it took too long to solve this 3rd mystery was because I needed to rest 2 rounds before going to Hydra to recover my health because the poison condition did a fair damage to me.

Note: when we draw this mystery (the 3rd mystery) the doom track was at 8. The doom track went from 8 to zero and one round has passed since it arrived at zero just to solve the 3rd mystery. There are some forsaken lore mysteries that are a damned ass to solve (this is one of them).

Now we only had 2 more mythos cards to draw, we lost 2 rounds to go from the Hydra space to space 3 where Cthullu appeared after we have solved the 3rd mystery (no eldritch tokens there to delay us, lucky us). The last 2 mythos cards were green, so no reckoning event and no sanity damage from Cthullu (that was really our luck).

We draw our LAST mythos card, that was our LAST round because there were no more mythos cards to get it from the mythos deck. This mythos card was green and EASY (ice border). The text of this card said "the lead investigator gets the BLESS condition" (that was me, Diana). With a carbine, Diana's passive skill, blessed and 4 ALLIES: one ally: +1 to fight and reroll a die on the fight test, 2nd ally: + 1 to will and reroll one die on a will test, 3rd ally: + 1 to fight and +2 when resolving spells [forsaken lore new ally], 4th ally: +1 to observation and reroll one die on a observation test (useless to fight Cthullu) and fishing net (reroll one die of fight in combats and take one less damage from the monster).

My first action was to move to Cthullu's space. My 2nd action was to cast shriveling on him (2 of damage) which i had 4 successes (thank you bless \o/). He had 5 of toughness (2-players + 3). So when we started the encounter phase, he was only with 3 of life. Rolling 6 dice (3 from Diana's sheet) + 5 of the carbine (you just get one plus modifier between all your cards, usually you'll get the best) - 2 (Cthullu's modifier), blessed and i could even reroll 2 more dice because of my item/ally - which i didn't need). I beat him and solved the 4th mystery.

Thanks Diana for her superb spell skills/starting item (arcane manuscripts), her marvelous passive skill and the ally Leo who got and gave it to me (Diana) an ally which gives +1 to fight encounters and +2 when resolving spells (which i replaced the arcane manuscripts to him because it's better to roll 2 more dice when resolving spells than only +1). Oh, and last, but not least, the carbine and the shriveling spell (which fortunately i got both in the 1st round of this match).

Thanks to Leo to get the artifact sword so i could kill the Hydra monster and 3 of the 4 allies i had in the end of the game. He also solved the rumor that would remove our asset deck from the game. Thanks to this solved rumor, we were able to get those precious allies.

Curiosities: If the last 2 mythos cards (any of them) were yellow and not green, the reckoning would be triggered. 5 sanity tokens were on Cthullu's sheet by the time we drew our last mythos card. Leo has 6 of sanity, but he was with 1 of sanity damage, so he would have died (devoured). Diana has 5 of max sanity, i'd have been devoured too (btw, i was with 2 sanity damage when i defeated Cthullu, her passive skill is marvelous against him and against Cthylla). If we hadn't defeated Cthullu on this round, we'd lose anyway because we wouldn't have any more mythos to draw from its deck. Another minor luck fact (because it wouldn't change too much the final result): no eldritch token on space 3 when Cthullu awakened.

I have a doubt (which wouldn't change anything in this match, but it can change in a future match). When you lose sanity from Cthullu. You place on your sheet AND on his sheet. Or you don't place on your sheet and put only on his sheet? (if i had to put on my sheet, i'd have taken just one more of sanity damage because of Diana's passive skill, i'd have defeated him with 3 damage on my sanity (Diana max is 5, so i wouldn't have died).

P.S.: If you hadn't notice, we beat THREE elite monsters (Cthylla, Hydra and Cthullu) in a 2-player only match. "Thanks" forsaken lore expansion to make this hard game even harder.

P.S.2.: Since i've bought the FL expansion, i've played 8 matches. This was my only and first victory. But i think this victory was the sweetest of all my victories together. \o

Thank you all for reading this long text!

Edited by Nainphy

Congrats for the great victory :) Indeed, a close call, but a lot of satisfaction in grilling the giant squid :)

I have yet to get the FL expansion, but it has been my experience that Cthulu is the easiest AO to defeat when he has awoken.

I play this game do many times but never ever have a chance to kill Chtulhu. And also never ever have a chance to use final mystery of Yog-Sototh when you dive in the gate and try to talk to him. I really curious but i never read the card game text of the gate and key encounter deck.

Well, when i said elite monsters i wanted to say EPIC monsters (but i think you all understood). ^^

Nobody answered: When you lose sanity from Cthullu himself. You lose sanity token(s) AND you place them on Cthullu's sheet or you don't lose any at all, all you do is just put the same sanity quantity you'd lose on Cthullu's sheet?

By the way, i just realize i didn't say some details about the 3rd mystery:

In order to kill the Hydra epic monster (my 3rd mystery on that match) you need a specific special sword (new artifact from forsaken lore expansion). The active player must have this sword (the sword of Ya'Talla) if s/he wishes to do damage on the Hydra epic monster (but don't need to use it to damage her, s/he just need to have this sword as her/his possession). The only positive side of this mythos is because the next artifact you get you don't draw it randomly. It'll be the sword of Ya'Talla. So Leo went to the heart of Africa (after solving the rumor on the space 16 as mentioned above) and passed the expedition encounter test on his FIRST try. Thus, he got this damned sword artifact which later he gave it to me.

In the entire match, Leo solved two expedition encounters with success and a rumor. In the first, the doom track retreated by one and in the second he got an artifact.

The 2nd rumor which we didn't solve was "gates cannot be closed". In the last round (when we draw our last mythos card from the mythos deck), we also draw our last gate from the gate stack. All 9 gates were on the board in our last round, that was the same round i defeated Cthullu himself and solved the 4th (final) mystery.

Thanks for the positive feedback, this really was a hell of a match. I won't forget it anytime soon. Best match ever!

Edited by Nainphy

Nainphy, I missed the question initially. Yes you take any lost sanity and place it directly onto Cthulu's sheet. The exponential growth from this is extremely dangerous. You seemed to have everything working against you in that game while the decks and dice tried to work their best with you. congrats on the win and to many more!

Got the game today and played it, lost by an inch as we died on the Mythos card and we would have won at the end of the Mythos phase because we solved the last Mystery :(

So close!

If you both solve the last mystery and lose due to mythos cards running out at the same time, then you actually win.

Yeah, but if you lose the game in the MIDDLE/DURING the next mythos phase. You lose the game cause the mythos phase didn't end and with that you haven't solved your last mystery yet.

Oh yeah now we beat it with :)