Eldritch Horror Statistics

By Tibs, in General Discussion

It's obsolete now but "Difficulty When Awoken" was triggered not to display a number until the value was not 100% or 0%. This will continue to be true for expansion Ancient Ones.

As for the reshuffling mysteries: akin to Arkham, I'll just add a "special events" tab. Can anyone think of other noteworthy events to add to this?

Edited by Tibs

Maybe dark pact triggering?

We can also consider some specific AO special events. Like Shub getting 2 doom for 10 monsters or tokens added to the omen track for Azatoth.

Speaking of adding tabs from the AH statistics report, how about a way to track which rumors appeared? Could be interesting to see if some rumors noticeably increase/decrease the chances of winning.

Yes, Rumors could be a nice addition, especially because some are really nasty and not passing them could imply game over pretty soon.

Speaking of eldritch tokens added to the omen track for Azatoth.... those are counted for doom advancement IN ADDITION TO the regular (1) doom advancement, correct? (As opposed to INSTEAD OF).

Speaking of eldritch tokens added to the omen track for Azatoth.... those are counted for doom advancement IN ADDITION TO the regular (1) doom advancement, correct? (As opposed to INSTEAD OF).

Yes in addition to the regular. So when omen track move green you add 1 for eldritch token and 1 for each green gate on the board. there is also some cards which can add more eldritch tokens on the green omen track.

I decided not to add Rumor cards because as far as I'm concerned, the Mythos difficulty is the more major determining factor. Besides, the most important rumors to fail are already covered by the "Defeat by Mythos" result.

I wouldn't mind seeing your decision re:Rumors revisited. (If for no other reason than the Rumors that don't kill you directly.)

Apparently I need to stop entering the stats from my phone.

Row 234 should have -2 for score and 5 for doom.

Very sorry.

Added my game groups stats: 1/2 (Azathoth(L), Yog(W) and Shub(L)) - Yeah, we just started playing last Saturday night.

Will start calculating score, we haven't done so yet.

Expected more losses - but over time, I guess it will level out more and more.

Don't worry about mistakes. I can easily correct them—more easily, in fact, if you cite the row number.

Tibs,

I made an error computing the score for my entry on Line 281 (ArkhamRel). The correct score should be 14, not 18.

Thanks!

Edited by ricedwlit

It is heartening to see the number of losses - I was astonished to have an Ancient One wake up on me during a game!

Only really played once so far, against Shub-Niggurath, a terrible loss made all the worse by the fact that if I had only succeeded at a research encounter I would have won the game! Unfortunately, she had already woken up, and was attracting monsters to the Heart of Africa like some sort of weird magnet. Something for how close the victory/loss was could perhaps show just how far we got could be useful?

Thanks for all the work though Tibs! Excellent stuff!

Curious on the ancient one difficulty breakdown....

In around 15 games so far, from least to most difficult has gone:

Azathoth->Yog->Cthulhul->Shub

Azathoth since he has the longest track and no slumber effect.

Yog, because if you get a good spell caster then he's easy. If that caster gets clairvoyance then it's practically an auto win. (In fact, clairvoyance alone was so overpowered that we've removed it from the game. They translated it verbatum from Arkham yet getting clues is so much harder and more important in Eldritch)

Cthulhu, because of the short doom track. Slumber can be annoying but mostly avoided if you stay off the sea.

Shub, because she's only 1 doom space more than Cthulhu, has the toughest slumber ability, and by far the most difficult mystery, Hunt of a thousand.

We're scratching our heads over how much more difficult Hunt of a Thousand is over all the other mysteries. Usually mysteries can be broken down into "accomplish a fairly simple task + spend one clue per player" or "defeat this super tough monster". Hunt of a Thousand breaks down to "defeat average monsters + spend two clues per player" or "defeat super tough monsters + spend one clue per player".

Shub is the only ancient one we have yet to beat. The slumber ability murders us and Hunt of a Thousand stalls us to death. I think the problem is we've been playing with only 2 investigators, and Shub's slumber ability doesn't scale. It's always 1 monster per reckoning with a 10 monster limit. Not a big deal for a large game, painful for two players.

We're about to give up and just remove the hard mythos cards for 2 player Shub games :\

Hey, this is Nidhögg. Can you correct my post row nr 308. I actually won by Final Mystery. Also the lenght of the game was 3 hours, so 180 minutes it should say. Thanks!

I have found the game is slightly easier with fewer players, so long as it is an even number.

I have found the game is slightly easier with fewer players, so long as it is an even number.

Even Shub? While gate spawns and monster surges produce more monsters the more players there are, her reckoning ability does not.

Have only played once against Shub Niggurath, but the thing is is that it's easier to generate a small number of clue tokens than a large number of clue tokens, even if you have more people, so for most mysteries and rumors they get solved easier and faster in a smaller game than a larger one, and it's mysteries and rumors that give me problems, almost never monsters.

Minor correction: The entry for line 339 should be "Defeat by Awakened Ancient One".

For what it's worth, this change is based on an answer I received from FFG regarding how to resovle "Doom advances" for Shub when doom is slated to advance by a value greater than one:

When an effect causes Doom to advance, it advances one space at a time until the effect is completely resolved. In the example you've mentioned, Doom is to advance by four. It advances by one first and reached the end of the Doom track, causing Shub-Niggurath to awaken. Then Doom continues to advance the remaining three, each such advancement being replaced by the Ancient One's effect. In this case, that means three Monster with spawn.

Thanks for playing!
~ Nikki Valens
Fantasy Flight Games

My entry was based on assuming that the advance of three would be just one "doom advances" and so only one monster spawns. (Of course, it was a loss either way :) ).

Thought the rule may be interesting for others to know as it would affect other AOs as well (e.g. Cthulhu).

Have only played once against Shub Niggurath, but the thing is is that it's easier to generate a small number of clue tokens than a large number of clue tokens, even if you have more people, so for most mysteries and rumors they get solved easier and faster in a smaller game than a larger one, and it's mysteries and rumors that give me problems, almost never monsters.

Even then, you still need 2 clue tokens per monster with the Hunting the Thousand mystery. What makes that mystery the toughest in the game is not only the fact that you're spending more clues and performing tougher tasks than the other mysteries, but you're forcing your monster-killing investigator to also gather up clues, two tasks that you usually split amonst specialized investigators. You can have your clue-gathering investigator trade with your monster-killing investigator, but that's more actions you have to spend on moving and trading.

I think Shub provides the best challenge (Yog and Azathoth need the easy mythos cars removed to be a threat), but Hunting the Thousand is definitely far tougher than any other mystery in the game. If you happen to never draw it when playing against Shub, her difficulty is cut in half.

Almost all the Ancient Ones have a really BS difficulty mystery. The mystery to seal gates with Azathoth for example is a pain.

Almost all the Ancient Ones have a really BS difficulty mystery. The mystery to seal gates with Azathoth for example is a pain.

Such is the power of the Great Old One! All shall live in fear of their Mystery Cards .. mwahahahaahaaaaa!

I have to agree that Hunting the Hundred is extremely difficult. ESPECIALLY if it's pulled as the first mystery. Which is exactly what just happened to me playing 2 investigators (Lily and Charlie). Early game you've got no gear, not many monsters or clues have spawned...rough.

I solved this clue and had only 2 cards left in the Mythos deck due to not having the clues needed and the first 3 monsters being 1 health only. Next time I pull this card first it's a reshuffle of the mystery deck for me. :-)

I'm pretty sure the game as a whole is easier with even players <_<

At least, that's been my experience. Our group tends to win with evens and lose with odds. It may be due to aspects only really getting harder on odd player intervals and everything in the game being universally rounded up.

Edited by Shining Aquas

I'm pretty sure the game as a whole is easier with even players <_<

At least, that's been my experience. Our group tends to win with evens and lose with odds. It may be due to aspects only really getting harder on odd player intervals and everything in the game being universally rounded up.

Yes in case of gates opening monster surge and clues with odd number you meet same conditions. But effect on the mysterys cards is most of rhe time belongs to number of investigators so Is balanced. Is not going easy in my opinion since you must to make kore actions.

Upping this thread for visibility so that newcomers know they can record their games and help the community :)