Eldritch Horror Statistics

By Tibs, in General Discussion

Whoops! That might have gone bye-bye when I had to re-scramble the thing to make room for MoM.

Should be fixed. Sorry, all.

I got a question on games with staged mythos phase - does it count as custom or as normal mythos composition?

The term "rumors failed" implies only rumors discarded due token depletion? Or does it include any non solved rumor?

Just curious: will this website be updated, so Syzygy-Games can be submitted as well?

What I 'd like as well are stats about Cards left in the Mythos Deck, when AO has awoken, respectively, Investigators have won the game.

Great work, otherwise. And big thanks to OP for his dedicated work. Love this site.

Edited by diceman2k4

I don't know what staged mythos is. Is that an official variant? Otherwise I'd say "custom."

I put forth "rumors failed" as any rumor that has a "fail" condition. I'm used to Arkham Horror, where all the rumors have a "pass" and "fail" condition.

Is the expansion with Syzygy out? I didn't know. I don't have a copy of it yet so I'd need someone to provide all the relevant info.

Up until now I understood it the way, that a "passed Rumor" is a Rumor hat has been solved (either by player interaction, or by itself). A "failed Rumor" for me is a Rumor which is still active after the game has ended (regardless of a win or lose-situation). A "failed Rumor" is also the case, when it had an insta-lose-condition, that somehow got triggered, naturally. At least that's how I understood it. :) Come to think of: weren't Rumors handled a little differently in Arkham Horror?

Now, I'm not too familiar with how things were handled in Arkham Horror, just played one game once with friends; it was one beast of 5-hour-session, and we lost dramatically. I loved it, but I'm loving Eldritch Horror more. :)

Edited by diceman2k4

Then I'm not sure how to handle this. I added "passed/failed rumors" as per someone's request, but I'm not nearly as versed on EH as I am on AH, so I'm bound to miss some things.

Maybe just let people enter which Rumors were in play ( via checkbox)? Should be enough, but I agree, the way it's handled right now can be a little confusing for less experienced gamers; at first I also didn't knew how I was to supposed to submit them, I just went with my gut-feeling. Rumors can be quite complex, it's kinda hard to include every possible situations that could arise because of them. Most of the time it's just them 2 from the Mythos Deck, rarely a third or a fourth Rumor come into play via Mythos Card or Prelude.

Edited by diceman2k4

Tibs,

for "staged Mythos" (it's official) it's intended how the Mythos deck is composed: only Easy and Normal Mythos cards, or Easy+Normal+Hard, or Normal+Hard only.

As for the rumors: I don't think it's much interesting knowing what rumors were in play if you win / lose the game with those still running. True that some Rumors could affect your in-game performance, but in the end there's a lot more complication for a not-so-significant parameter. I think the game's complex enough to want to avoid overcomplicated statistics

"Staged" mythos is already covered then: there are options for "Hard removed" or "Easy only," etc.

I agree with you on the over-complexity. I need to update the form for Strange Remnants.

As soon as I get my copy, I'll mail you the new Rumors and all the rest, as usual

"Staged" mythos is already covered then: there are options for "Hard removed" or "Easy only," etc.

Mind, that "Staged Mythos" still works a little differently. ;)

It's true, that all three types of Mythos-Cards are included, but during Mythos Construction you only include easy cards for Stage I, only Normal Cards for Stage II and only Hard Cards for Stage III.

It's an official variant.

Edited by diceman2k4

Ooooh, that makes sense. Also, I like that idea a lot. I think I'll use it when I play.

"Staged" was added to the Mythos modification section.

Edited by Tibs

I also like this variant. The concept, I mean, haven't tested it yet, but I'm planning to.

The only gripe I may have with a Staged Mythos Deck, is, that this way you'd never face a Hard Rumor ever, and I like variety a lot. Therefore on bgg I already made the suggestion, that you split your deck of Normal blue cards in half and shuffle one half with Easy cards, the other with Hard cards. Then for the first Rumor you draw from the Easy/Normal Deck, and for the second Rumor, you draw from the Normal/Hard Deck. This way you're still in for a potentially scary surprise. ;)

Edited by diceman2k4

That is a salient point. I don't like it when cards have zero chance of appearing.

Hrm. This is going to take some thought. Your solution might be the simplest.

It's true, that all three types of Mythos-Cards are included, but during Mythos Construction you only include easy cards for Stage I, only Normal Cards for Stage II and only Hard Cards for Stage III.

Mind posting a reference for this? In the Rules Reference, under Optional Rules , we read:

Players can make the game easier by returning all hard Mythos cards

(with red tentacles) to the game box before building the Mythos deck.

Likewise, players can make the game harder by returning all easy Mythos

cards (with a blue sigil) to the game box before building the Mythos deck.

There's nowhere stated that you can play with only Easy or only Hard.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/a9/8f/a98f58c5-35bc-4807-813f-b6730c3bfb22/eh04_rulesheetcompressed.pdf

Rules for Strange Remnants make a suggestion for "Insane Difficulty" by using only hard Mythos Cards.

Likewise, players could also choose to make their game a walk in the park by using only easy Mythos Cards. It's only logical, that doing the opposite instead might also be a valid alternative for Mythos Construction. The former is an official variant, the latter - hmm, well, you don't really need an FF-spokesperson to make you think of doing something like that instead. ;) If it's fun, that is a different matter altogether (one might say that about "Insane Difficulty" as well :blink: ).

Edited by diceman2k4

I also like this variant. The concept, I mean, haven't tested it yet, but I'm planning to.

The only gripe I may have with a Staged Mythos Deck, is, that this way you'd never face a Hard Rumor ever, and I like variety a lot. Therefore on bgg I already made the suggestion, that you split your deck of Normal blue cards in half and shuffle one half with Easy cards, the other with Hard cards. Then for the first Rumor you draw from the Easy/Normal Deck, and for the second Rumor, you draw from the Normal/Hard Deck. This way you're still in for a potentially scary surprise. ;)

Yeah, staged mythos make hard rumors never come by.

A more suitable approach would be adding a hard rumor in phase 3. Or just before phase 3.

Mind posting a reference for this? In the Rules Reference, under Optional Rules , we read:

Players can make the game easier by returning all hard Mythos cards

(with red tentacles) to the game box before building the Mythos deck.

Likewise, players can make the game harder by returning all easy Mythos

cards (with a blue sigil) to the game box before building the Mythos deck.

There's nowhere stated that you can play with only Easy or only Hard.

True it's either easy mode (no hard cards), Normal (all cards) or Hard mode (no easy card)

That is a salient point. I don't like it when cards have zero chance of appearing.

Hrm. This is going to take some thought. Your solution might be the simplest.

I wouldn't mind not seeing another LiTS card, ever.

Well I proposed adding the hard rumor before phase 3 in the previous post. (I don't know how to merge the posts)

I have included options for "only easy cards" and "only hard cards" as unofficial choices because they're obvious and easy to do. It looks like "only hard" became official in the SR expansion as "insane difficulty" as diceman points out.

As far as "staged mythos," this is officially available in the Mountains of Madness rules:

Staged Difficulty
  • Players can make the game’s difficulty increase in stages by building stage I of the Mythos deck using only easy Mythos cards, building stage II of the Mythos deck using only normal Mythos cards, and building stage III of the Mythos deck using only hard Mythos cards.
  • To increase the difficulty of this optional rule, players can use normal blue Mythos cards when building stage I of the Mythos deck and hard blue Mythos cards when building stage II of the Mythos deck. Players may also start with an easy blue Mythos card in play following the “Starting Rumor” rule in the Eldritch Horror Reference Guide.

So there are two versions of "staged," but neither satisfactorily adds all difficulties of rumor cards.

Nevermind, I read Tibs' answer afterwards

Edited by Julia

Or you just go "to hell with fiddliness" and add 2 totally random Rumors to your Staged Mythos Deck. :)

No need to overthink this, overall your Staged Construction ist still going to make a difference.

I don't differentiate between "official" variant or non-official too much - the only official (and significant) measure during construction is the ratio of differently colored cards in each stage, the rest I rather see as an invitation to go creative yourself. There's a lot of effective tweaks that could be done, that's why FFG labeled them as "Snowflake", "Normal" and "Tentacle" - to make tweaking the deck to your tastes straightforward and comfortable. Somewehere you're gonna find your sweet spot.

Edited by diceman2k4

"Snowflake" is slowly becoming the slang term for the easy cards. Not sure how I feel about that.

:D

Honestly, I'm only using the term because everyone else seems to use it, and everyone else seems to understand it rightaway.

As long as it works, it's okay to use it.

Edited by diceman2k4

Is there going to be an update to this for the new expansion, Strange Remnants?

Edited by arlem

Hi guys. Sorry for the delay. I don't own Strange Remnants yet so I had to rely on people to send me the pertinent information in order to update the stats page.

Urban d7urban Nilsson was so kind to send me this information, and I've added it in.

Here is the updated submission form:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1rOJJt7gp13ftqsBhlKLJpW5vGX8LRA3z6HD-dn1k7eM/viewform