Eldritch Horror Statistics

By Tibs, in General Discussion

I've changed the link on the first page, tsuma. Good point. Changing the "40" to a "3" should also do.

The spreadsheet is great, and I find it quite an interesting set of data to read; we have been adding all of our games to it as we learn to strategize more and more.
Three small errors/problems/slight-lacks-of-info I have noticed, first two both under the Expansions/Difficulty tab:

- Option Frequency and Option Difficulty display the note of the topics above them when highlighted. (The Mythos Composition and Mythos Difficulty topics)

- The above topics don't have a Prelude and Starting Rumour or a controlled variable ( None ) listed underneath them. This would help us know how much more difficult they make the game.

- I am also slightly confused about what the numbers mean at the top of the Investigators tab, under the Team Size , are they win or loss percentages? Could that be clarified?

As an aside, I think it would also be cool to see the win percentage of certain investigators based on Old One and Team Size.

I don't want to come off as complaining, though; I think what you have done here is very quickly and immediately helpful. It has also sparked interest into preparing for an Old One we have never fought before.

Thanks, Ender.

• I think the notes were artifacts from when I planned to combine "composition" and "options" into one subsection.
  • I've updated the "Options" tab to show Revised Reference Cards and a "none" control.
  • The "team size" note has been updated to say: Win percent as a function of team size and Mythos composition
  • I'm worried about showing win percent as a function of Investigator, AO, and teamsize because that's high dimensionality and will spread the stats too thin. In any case it would take up far too much space on the page.

Complain away. There's always room for comments and criticisms. I'm glad you find these stats interesting and useful!

I think the "Prelude" option should be expanded to include the exact Prelude used. Preferably drop down menu in alphabetical order.

Just like Rumors are.

If someone can give me a comprehensive list of the Preludes, I can do that, sure.

If someone can give me a comprehensive list of the Preludes, I can do that, sure.

Just sent you a list. For others who may be interested

• Beginning of the End
  • Call of Cthulhu
  • Dark Blessings
  • Doom Sayer from Antartica
  • Drastic Measures
  • Epidemic
  • Ghost from the Past
  • In Cosmic Alignment
  • Key to Salvation
  • Litany of Secrets
  • Rumors from North
  • The Coming Storm
  • The Dunwich Horror
  • Ultimate Sacrifice
  • Under the Pyramids
  • Unwilling Sacrifice

Thank you, ricedwlit. I've added the entries to the form.

Tibs, will you also eventually add something in the report that shows which preludes are easier/more difficult? (When you gather enough data).

I noticed an update to the Form. Looks nicely but I had trouble "activating" the fields which require you to click on them to type.

Maybe it's just IE10 bug i will try a different browser next time.

Yeah, in order to add the new field for "Prelude," I had to update to the new Forms format. You have to click on the "your answer" part—at least, on a computer. Not sure what to do on a phone.

Yeah, in order to add the new field for "Prelude," I had to update to the new Forms format. You have to click on the "your answer" part—at least, on a computer. Not sure what to do on a phone.

Seems like using a different browser than IE produces no problems :)

Seems like using a different browser than IE produces no problems :)

Fixed that for you. ;)

Hey guys, I'm part of "plus dva na rol" group. We recently managed to score -22 in a game against Rise of the Elder Things. Just wanted to clarify that it wasn't a typo or something similar.
We started with "The Coming Storm" prelude. It opened one more gate on Tokyo and caused a surge there, but we got a lot from it.
I played as Rex and started with +2 on influence with 1 focus and 1 clue.

Marie got 1 focus and 1 clue plus Astral Travel which was really great for her along with her Voice of Ra.
Hank started with Bless (because of an asset service) with +1 on strength.

I've killed all of the monsters on Tokyo with some service which inflicts 4 damage on each monster on a space and everything went smoothly from there.
We got Wind Walker as a bonus rumor which was quickly dispatched by Hank with Carabine rifle and bless.
Same goes for Rhan-Tegoth.
Marie got that tome which grants you spells on rest if you pass lore, she quickly acquired large amounts of it because of her ability to perform same action twice.

Everything went from good to great when I as Rex fetched Mi-Go Braincase, ally that gives sanity and clue on monster kill, plus that artifact weapon that gives additional clue from defeating the monster and Marie got Healing Ward, Witch Doctor (which we easily passed to Rex) and Gate Box.
We even had some harder mythos cards, but most of the time they haven't caused us any trouble. Had one that discards half of the items, one for half of the spells which inflicts sanity damage equal to the number of remaining spells (Marie had to take 4 sanity dmg but prevented it with Instill Bravery spell with 3+ successes) and one that impaired highest skill 3 times.

Mysteries were really easy since most of the times we just spent clues from them and with all those items we just got them back quickly.
Few rounds before the end we already had all clues from the pool with us and Hank even had that card that can prevent any clue or spell discards, so we just hoarded all clues on him whenever we could.
Soon after Marie got Asenath Waite (she nets you 1 spell and prevents one gate with monster from spawning for 2 spells), and we knew we are in for the almost perfect game.
We retreated doom as much as we could through tasks/services/expeditions and closed up all remaining gates and killed all monsters on the board.

We had everything in our arsenal, from shotgun to plethora of spells on Marie with all clue generating items, Witch Doctor on Rex which had all improvements on +2 and all kind of combat equipment on Hank.
Ended the game with no gates, no monsters, 15 doom, with 22 clues and 1 curse.

Yo Tibs, new stuff from Signs of Carcosa

Investigators

• Jenny
  • Dexter
  • Wendy
  • Michael

Preludes

• The King In Yellow
  • Weakness to Strength
  • Sins of the Past
  • Silver Twilight Stockpile

Rumors

• "Moved to Boston"
  • Awakening the Old Ones
  • The King In Yellow
  • Transported to the Hyades
  • Ghostly Chanting
  • Bargain With Nyarlathotep

Epic Monsters

• Rogue Byakhee
  • Spawn of Hastur

Thanks Runko; I'll add it in a little bit. Is it released yet? I assume there's at least one new Ancient One, right?

I'm just asking if that's everything I need to add.

Tibs, on 07 Jun 2016 - 7:05 PM, said:Tibs, on 07 Jun 2016 - 7:05 PM, said:Tibs, on 07 Jun 2016 - 7:05 PM, said:

Thanks Runko; I'll add it in a little bit. Is it released yet? I assume there's at least one new Ancient One, right?

I'm just asking if that's everything I need to add.

You're right, I forgot the Ancient One :D

Ancient One:

• Hastur

And yes, this should be everything I just went through all of the components from the box.

Edited by Runko

Since your stat is excellent for tracking, I'd like to request that you add optional questions, only for games that resulted in a victory, what was the Doom on the track and how many cards were remaining in the mythos deck after solving the 1st mystery, and after solving the 2nd mystery. We could use the stats for these answers to develop a one-mystery and two-mystery variant of the game. For example, if the players want only 1 mystery to solve, we could use the stats to figure out how much doom and how many mythos cards the players could draw before the game automatically results in a defeat, based on similar play experiences as accumulated in your database. Similar benchmark could be developed and used for a 2-mystery variant (how much doom advancement and drawn mythos cards before game is considered a loss), all based on the averages of actual plays recorded in your database.

Hope you could accomodate my request. Thanks in advance.

Edited by ppsantos

Since your stat is excellent for tracking, I'd like to request that you add optional questions, only for games that resulted in a victory, what was the Doom on the track and how many cards were remaining in the mythos deck after solving the 1st mystery, and after solving the 2nd mystery (...)

Hope you could accomodate my request. Thanks in advance.

Even if Tibs would add these to the form, the players would need to note that data during gameplay. I wouldn't hope for a lot of input in this area.

Edited by tsuma534

Yeah this is info that's easily forgotten. It might be better off if you take note of your own plays if you plan to make a variant like that.

Curious how Azathoth stands as the #3 hardest right now.

Normally he's so easy, we go to extra steps to beef him up. In addition to taking out the easy mythos cards, we put back in all the "unfair" cards we house rule out (shuffle solved mystery back in, The End is Nigh, Dunwhich Horror prelude, etc); it's an "anything goes" approach when it comes to the mad god.

Although now with so many expansions, there are enough mythos cards to go with an all hard deck.

Edited by GrooveChamp

Azathoth is the AO recommended for beginner players, so the groups playing against it tend to be less experienced - that's bound to skew the results a little.

Hello,

Once again i have looked throw the statistics and found out a few bad entries i believe.

Entry 6533 cannot have -40 score with only 5 doomtrack and only forsaken lore and under the pyramids expansion (proly -4 or 0)

Entry 6534 should not have any score for it was a defeat.

Entry 6746 i have a strong believe that this is a case of "troll" entry.

Entry 6430 well 12 defeated investigators.... against cthulhu that starts omen on 12..... and still managed to have doom track on 10. Also defeated by rumor (spreading sickness), more like defeat by error :D . This entry just have too many mistakes.

Getting rid of all the mistakes in statistics is impossible, but since there are tracks of the highscore, most death etc..... i do recommend of erasing entry 6430 for its just a "disasterly" written entry.

I also checked other entries with the highest investigator devoured number: 5+ and again i have a strong believe most of them have mistake. Most of them are against cthulhu and ends by a defeat by elimination of by awakened acient one. And since we all know how cthulhu awakens works.... i think that most of those devour should be defeat instead, at least "6 and 7 devour games" on 99% i believe and others "5 devour game" against cthulhu too but with less %.

And now for questions of mine. Would it be possible and also realistic to make to choose or filtrate just games with chosen expansions and then the output would be whole statistic only from games with chosen expansions?

Because every single expansion and had made impact on the game + also games with no or less expansions have a lot of entries with less experienced player (we can all see it on the azathoth ancient one and core game investigators win rate) + i believe that there were made much more mistakes when playing the game and writing entries from the begginng (I myself made a good number of them -_- ) and all of these do impact the statistic magnifiently :( .

Anyway, thx for the good work with the statistics, i rly like it. + I apologize for grammar mistakes. :D

Hi Humac. Thanks for pointing these out.

1. I agree. I changed it to -4. Below it was an entry with a score of 205. Ahh, now I see. If I correct those scores, you have the lowest ;)
  2. The score has been removed.
  3. Yeah, I definitely believe this is perhaps a test entry (it might be my own). I'm being forced to believe that a 1-investigator team won the game by solving five mysteries (the AO awoke and a mystery was reshuffled back into the deck) against Cthulhu, the hardest AO; and also that his investigator sheet got replaced 25 times, which of course would result in 25 doom advances. All before running out of Mysteries.
  4. They probably meant that five were "defeated."

I don't know how easy it is to re-do all statistics for a chosen expansion or expansion combination, but I will say that the Expansion Difficulty stats count games with only that expansion in play. The Expansion Frequency entry tracks all games that include that expansion, even if it includes others.

Edited by Tibs

Tibs, thanks so much for creating this document. Is there any way for me to filter results so that I can see which GOO I faced and my results, i.e. score or how I was defeated etc? TIA.

I don't think so. The best you can do is download the sheet and scrub other entries, or tediously add something to each calculation that searches for your username. But I'm not Spreadsheets expert.

Tibs, thanks so much for creating this document. Is there any way for me to filter results so that I can see which GOO I faced and my results, i.e. score or how I was defeated etc? TIA.

The simplest way would be to copy over your entries into a separate spreadsheet (disclosure: I do this for my submissions as I track additional information such as mysteries completed). Just go to the submissions tab, select the entire row you want to copy, then copy and paste into your own google spreadsheet.

Or, even easier, instead of reworking Tibs statistics, simply open your own spreadsheet putting there all the info you need, so that it's 100% customized. And then put the relevant data Tibs wants in his spreadsheet online (I've an Excel with all the statistics of all the games I played from 2010, i.e. data on more or less 3.5K plays)