What theme to come next from FFG in the LCG format?

By radioboyeric, in Living Card Games

I'm a big nerd, so I want a mech game. There's a few old ones that could be licensed like battletech or heavygear or even one of the gundam games, but I'd rather have a new one, maybe with the TI setting

Anyone knows when an announcement gonna be made?

Zodmaniac

It's not even official they are working on a new one. People are just assuming.

Edited by Toqtamish

I'd like to see an LCG game based on Civilization (like Civ4/5) it could be a great 2 to many player game, like Seven wonders the static deck game with multiple ways to win but with a constructed LCG format.

I hope it's a resurrection of an old great game that deserves a second chance (I've never played 7th Sea nor Jyhad but based on everything I've heard about them would buy a core set on sight).

I hope it's not 40k-related.

i believe i saw earlier some wh40k related stuff. "Conquest" or sth..

Yes, that's the story going around these days. FFG hasn't said anything official though. The page looks real to me, but even if it is it doesn't tell us much beyond that it's a 40K LCG and that it's for 2 players. The cards are too fuzzy to read anything useful.

Anyway, I'm hoping that FFG will announce something one way or the other soon. Maybe it's the next game. Maybe someone just found a prototype page for a project that got cancelled. Who knows?

Speak of the devil and he aappears. 40K conquest LCG announced!

So with 40K and Doomtown accounted for, I think we're back to V:TES as the next most likely game?

I think it's also safe to say at this point that all the old AEG games are off the table for Fantasy Flight to license now that AEG has shown they are interested in doing them themselves. In fact, if Doomtown does well I would not be surprised to see an updated version of 7th Sea next. Gencon 2015?

I hope another co-op LCG will be the next.

But I also believe that FFG don't put more than 6 LCG (for them they produce new stuff) on the table.

So I think that Call of Cthulhu will the next dying LCG.

Then will be there two fantasy background LCG's with Games of Thrones and Lord of the Rings. And three SciFi (40K, Netrunner, Star Wars.

So it can be more likely a Fantasy setting Game. That can be:

- Conan

- Battlelore

- BloodBowl

or a Steampunk LCG?

I hope for a SciFi LCG (but booth are not very likely, because of license cost):

- Star Trek (co-op - Mission and the different branches vor deck building)

- BattleTech (battles in the Innere Sphere or on Solaris VII)

I hope another co-op LCG will be the next.

But I also believe that FFG don't put more than 6 LCG (for them they produce new stuff) on the table.

So I think that Call of Cthulhu will the next dying LCG.

Then will be there two fantasy background LCG's with Games of Thrones and Lord of the Rings. And three SciFi (40K, Netrunner, Star Wars.

So it can be more likely a Fantasy setting Game. That can be:

- Conan

- Battlelore

- BloodBowl

or a Steampunk LCG?

I hope for a SciFi LCG (but booth are not very likely, because of license cost):

- Star Trek (co-op - Mission and the different branches vor deck building)

- BattleTech (battles in the Innere Sphere or on Solaris VII)

I could go for a co-op LCG, but I would say at the very least they need a multi-player LCG. If they keep releasing two-player only games they are pretty much going to be relegating LCG's to tournament players only.

I would also go for a Steampunk LCG, I would even suggest Girl Genius.

5 of 7 LCGs have multiplayer rules.

"I could go for a co-op LCG, but I would say at the very least they need a multi-player LCG. If they keep releasing two-player only games they are pretty much going to be relegating LCG's to tournament players only."

We play 2p only LCGs on normal game nights (and occasionally LotR), there is no reason that this has to have anything to do with tournament play. I do agree that handling both 2p and multiplayer is a plus though.

5 of 7 LCGs have multiplayer rules.

1) Of those five, only 3 were designed from the get-go to support multi-player (GoT, LotR and Star Wars). Of those three, one is Co-op, one features "traditional" PvP multi-player and the other only has limited multi-player available only via an expansion. The other two games (CoC and W:I) are two-player games with tacked-on multi-player much after the fact. As an aside, I didn't even realize CoC even had official multi-player, the only multi-player I have heard about for CoC were un-official variants. If so, that's good to know.

2)Of the last three LCG's released, two are two-player only. The other didn't support multi-player until sometime after it's launch. That is something of a trend. :) All I am saying is it would be nice to see some more variety.

"I could go for a co-op LCG, but I would say at the very least they need a multi-player LCG. If they keep releasing two-player only games they are pretty much going to be relegating LCG's to tournament players only."

We play 2p only LCGs on normal game nights (and occasionally LotR), there is no reason that this has to have anything to do with tournament play. I do agree that handling both 2p and multiplayer is a plus though.

I am sorry if you think I am picking on tournaments and/or tournament players, that certainly is not my intention. I certainly agree that two-player only games can be played casually. Heck I can think of two "casual" board games that are two-player only off the top of my head ("Hive" and "All Creatures Great and Small"). But the thing is that while every gaming group is different, the groups that I am and have been a part of view gaming as a social experience. We are there because we want to play together. As such two-player only games rarely get played, because we are there to play together not split off into groups of two.

As as consequence I tend to look upon the ability to handle multi-player to be a little more than just "a plus".

I personally would like to see another co-op/solitaire LCG... Mostly because having small kids makes it hard for me to get to game nights right now. Personally I think CoC would be a good one for that, although I highly doubt it would happen. Not with the current version of the game out.

But I'm not sure what else lends itself to co-op quite as well as LotR does. I like CoC for it's horror theme, which I think would translate well to a Co-Op environment, but almost any other popular IP is going to have people that want to be able to play the 'bad' guys, as it were.

I am sorry if you think I am picking on tournaments and/or tournament players, that certainly is not my intention. I certainly agree that two-player only games can be played casually. Heck I can think of two "casual" board games that are two-player only off the top of my head ("Hive" and "All Creatures Great and Small"). But the thing is that while every gaming group is different, the groups that I am and have been a part of view gaming as a social experience. We are there because we want to play together. As such two-player only games rarely get played, because we are there to play together not split off into groups of two.

As as consequence I tend to look upon the ability to handle multi-player to be a little more than just "a plus".

No worries, it can be a little hard to convey tone in a text-only format :) Our group uses Lord of the Rings for our "social" type game, allowing us to play cards together in more of a beer & pretzels attitude of joking and hanging out. Then we also play 2p card games paired up for our competitive fix. Depending on how well we line up you might swap opponents or not after a game, there's some desire not to sit idle too long between games.

Personally, I'm still hoping that FFG puts out an updated V:TES one day - that game was designed from the start as a multiplayer game. And then, I'm hoping that they also include a 2p mode as well, as the original game didn't play so well in that format.

One issue is that a lot of people don't have a big group of players that all play the same game so that they can reliably plan to play a game that wants 4-5 people. As a practical matter, it's easier for two people to get together at the same time & place than it is for more people, especially once you start getting old enough to have those small kids MechaBri.Zilla was talking about.

On co-op... I think a lot of themes works fine (not every, but many), I wouldn't think this is going to be a limiting factor. Star War could be a co-op of heroes vs. The Empire. Warhammer 40K could do a co-op of players teaming up to fight off the Tyranids or Necrons. Thing is, almost every setting has someone or something you can hang the "bad guy" badge on and let everyone else beat up on it. Hackers vs. the Evil Corp. If there's no bad guy, you could make it a race against time to pull off the whatever mission. Scientists trying to find the cure in time, etc... You could do it with Cthulhu, there's obviously someone in that universe to set up as the bad guy, but you could also do it with plenty of other themes too.

On co-op... I think a lot of themes works fine (not every, but many), I wouldn't think this is going to be a limiting factor. Star War could be a co-op of heroes vs. The Empire. Warhammer 40K could do a co-op of players teaming up to fight off the Tyranids or Necrons. Thing is, almost every setting has someone or something you can hang the "bad guy" badge on and let everyone else beat up on it. Hackers vs. the Evil Corp. If there's no bad guy, you could make it a race against time to pull off the whatever mission. Scientists trying to find the cure in time, etc... You could do it with Cthulhu, there's obviously someone in that universe to set up as the bad guy, but you could also do it with plenty of other themes too.

For sure. Waht I meant was that in a game like 40k, Tyranid and Necrons may make a great enemie, but there are also ardent fans who would be disapointed by not being able to play them. You can see some of that in the Conquest forum. Lots of fans are already angry because they aren't in the first batch of playable races. Same thing with Star Wars. Lot's of folks want to be storm troopers or command AT-AT's.

The nice thing about LotR was that, not only did it have a clear villain, but most fans of that particular franchise, are more interested in those traditional heroes. Not that there aren't some folks who'd like to be Sauron, but most of the fan base has a lot more people who aren't as interested in being a villain.

Call of Cthulhu is a bit on the border, lots of people like being able to play the bad guys, or the LCG wouldn't have been successfull. But it's also a genre that has proven to work in the co-op world as most (if not all) of the FFG board games are co-op. So I don't think the fan base would be too upset being put in the 'good-guy' role.

I do think we'll get another co-op/solo game before too long. Star Wars was slated originally to be co-op, and LotR has been a great success. So I'm sure FFG will want to try to milk that cash cow at least one more time.

TMNT co-op!

No really. Hear me out.

4 turtles, 4 players, every player gets a turtle.

3 players, 1 player gets 2 turtles.

2 players, 2 turtles per player.

You could have fighting & sneaking missions or something.

And to warm you all up to the art possibilities, here's your childhood love:

http://daverapoza.blogspot.com/2011/03/april-oneil-tmnt-fan-art.html

Edited by Noccus

TMNT co-op

That one I will pass. But, fun idea ;-)

TMNT co-op!

No really. Hear me out.

And to warm you all up to the art possibilities, here's your childhood love:

http://daverapoza.blogspot.com/2011/03/april-oneil-tmnt-fan-art.html

I might be up for this, provided they used the original comics as their source material. Also, as you describe it, it looks like a stand-alone game, not an LCG. The only reason I say this, is that without an expanding hero pool, the game will not have a lot of room for growth. Or, at least not using a model that is similar to LotR. Of course they could do something totally different.

My vote is for V:TES. As mentioned before, it was designed from the beginning to be a multiplayer game. I'm sure that it could also be designed to allow for head to head battles. With the assumed decline of CoC, another horror themed LCG would be a good call. All of that aside, an unlikely alternative would be a Dune LCG. Dune is exceedingly ripe for a multiplayer LCG. All of the different houses with their different motivations would transition well to the table. A more likely option in the same vein would be a Twilight Imperium LCG. Yeah...I would play that.

My vote is for V:TES. As mentioned before, it was designed from the beginning to be a multiplayer game. I'm sure that it could also be designed to allow for head to head battles. With the assumed decline of CoC, another horror themed LCG would be a good call. All of that aside, an unlikely alternative would be a Dune LCG. Dune is exceedingly ripe for a multiplayer LCG. All of the different houses with their different motivations would transition well to the table. A more likely option in the same vein would be a Twilight Imperium LCG. Yeah...I would play that.

I've never played V:TES. I assume that getting the license might be difficult, though it's been a while since I followed anything in the White Wolf universes. What is the state of their IP? Is it still going strong?

What was V:TES like? You say it was built for multiplayer, was that co-op or head to head?

TMNT co-op!

No really. Hear me out.

And to warm you all up to the art possibilities, here's your childhood love: http://daverapoza.blogspot.com/2011/03/april-oneil-tmnt-fan-art.html

I might be up for this, provided they used the original comics as their source material. Also, as you describe it, it looks like a stand-alone game, not an LCG. The only reason I say this, is that without an expanding hero pool, the game will not have a lot of room for growth. Or, at least not using a model that is similar to LotR. Of course they could do something totally different.

Well, it was more or less a joke, but now that I've thought about it a bit, I kind of like it actually.

And indeed the original comics should be the source material.

I've never played V:TES. I assume that getting the license might be difficult, though it's been a while since I followed anything in the White Wolf universes. What is the state of their IP? Is it still going strong?

What was V:TES like? You say it was built for multiplayer, was that co-op or head to head?

White wolf is pretty much undead.

VTES is head to head game. It hasn't been canceled for long and is being kept alive by players.

http://www.vekn.net/

Edited by Toqtamish

In V:TES it's everyone for themselves. The player on one side of you is your Prey and the player on your other side is your Predator. You can normally only attack your Prey directly although some cards modify that. If a player loses all their health they are ousted and you have a new Predator/Prey to replace them.

You get 1 point each time you oust your Prey, and 1 point for being the last player standing, so it's possible to win even if you aren't the last player.