What theme to come next from FFG in the LCG format?

By radioboyeric, in Living Card Games

BattleTech it's an amazing game system! Awesome and unique.

See discussion at https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/102596-battletech-lcg/

second times 1batrillionzillioninfinitizillion.

I asked one of the CS agents to forward this to product development and licensing. that universe has so much, it would translate great to FFG. I still have my old CCG stuff in my attic.

HOWEVER, and this is really really really key for me as far as a BT ccg / lcg is concerned. It would need to be multiplayer from the get go (if you think of the factions and the lore behind it, the game almost has to be), and by that I mean supporting MTG styles of play. multiplayer free for alls, teams, 1v1, and anything else.

Planets / cities / locations would be resources. Mechs, figures, politics, players should be encouraged to discuss things among them (I can do this if you could do this, etc)...DFA, Alpha strikes, mechanized / flying units..so much stuff can be done...but I personally can't stress enough, it has to be multiplayer, free for alls, team, 1v1, etc...really important for me as it plays to the lore not really willing to compromise on that.

Edited by scruffycavetroll

Having recently watched Mad Max: Fury Road for the third (!) time on the big screen, I am going to stick with hoping for a Mad Max or post-apocalyptic-themed co-op (ideally) LCG! I just can't get enough of that movie! :)

Having recently watched Mad Max: Fury Road for the third (!) time on the big screen, I am going to stick with hoping for a Mad Max or post-apocalyptic-themed co-op (ideally) LCG! I just can't get enough of that movie! :)

You should check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8B9KIIC9F4

Partly for the review of Thunder Road, but mostly for the Mad Max tribute! Witness me!!!

You should check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8B9KIIC9F4

Partly for the review of Thunder Road, but mostly for the Mad Max tribute! Witness me!!!

Thanks for that! :-)

We have several pre teens that game along side us and they are looking for the next 'cool' card game. Is there a anime or manga that FFG could pick up and build an LCG around? I'd love to get the kids away from the CCG format and into LCGs.

Game of Thrones is your best bet there. The last four LCGs have all debuted at Gen Con, so if there's going to be another one don't expect any announcement until Q4 or Q12016.

interesting lcg ideas i think: (i know some have had ccg's)

Gundam

Grimm

Shadowrun

Vampire Masquerade

Warhammer Quest (co-op like LOTR in warhammer setting)

Dragonriders of Pern

Elfquest

Gundam

Shadowrun

Dragonriders of Pern

Elfquest

+1 on these

Also

Gatchaman (Battle of the Planets)

Sailor Moon

Card Captor Sakura

Robotech

Dune (LCG, Board, RPG, Miniatures, Anything...)

Earthdawn

Thunderbirds (Gerry Anderson)

Ghost in the Shell S.A.C.

Edited by Tekwych

All of the anime!

Well except the ecchi ones. Leave those to the makers of Tanto Cuore. ;)

All of the anime!

Well except the ecchi ones. Leave those to the makers of Tanto Cuore. ;)

True, true. Some Anime- or Manga based coop-LCG would be nice. There actually are some games already out there in Japan I think, but they are all CCGs at the moment. And I am not sure about the liscensing. FFG tends to go for very strong, solid franchises right now, and as long as these are popular enough there will be no such I thing as any Anime LCG. And when will Star Wars, GoTH, and Warhammer lose popularity anytime soon? Not in the near future (which is a good thing). Besides, I do not think that there are a lot of people in the FFG community that are to eager about Anime or Manga based games. Would be the first one FFG would publish. Apart from this anima-thing, but I do not really count this.

@ Tekwych: Now that you mentioned it: there was a Sailor Moon CCG out around the early 2000ties or so (only in the USA, as it was not developed in Japan), but I do not know to much about its mechanics as I did never play it. If I remember correctly it was competive, non-cooperative. You did not chose factions, but actually controlled senshi and villains at the same time, trying to eliminate the opponent player´s senshi with your villains and vice versa. But, as I said, I did never play this game. I naturally evade CCGs, so it disqualified instantly. Also, it used the changed english character names.

If it goes for competive LCGs (roughly anime based), I would very strongly favour some duel-like game such as from the Street Fighter or Soulcalibur franchise. I remember there actually was such a thing from FFG , still made in the CCG format. Still have some Astaroth and Chun-Li starter somewhere lying around.

Edited by Katsuyori

As an anime fan, a LCG based on anime would interest me greatly. Here's what I want to see:

Ghost in the Shell

Macross (not Robotech, since Macross has many more series under its belt)

One Piece

Gundam

Naruto

Patlabor

Super Sentai & Kamen Rider (yes, I know they are toku not anime, but I'm a fan of both franchises and they'd make great LCG)

Super Sentai & Kamen Rider (yes, I know they are toku not anime, but I'm a fan of both franchises and they'd make great LCG)

These could work as multi faction, co-op, play or as skirmish so would be a great thing to look into.

SSVSKH-600x653.jpg

There certainly will be enough characters!*

*And yes I know this outdated, and doesn't include the metal heroes...

Edited by Robin Graves

Gundam

Grimm

Shadowrun

Vampire Masquerade

Dragonriders of Pern

Elfquest

Warhammer Quest co-op! Ding ding ding. You called it. Now, while not a true LCG, I see plenty of expansions in this games future.

True that, Doc9. I'm superhappy for the announcement :) Despite not being an LCG, it's a coop (full thumbsup!), has a great setting and looks extremely promising in terms of expansions and stuff. I'm kinda happy also with the format: not so sure if I could follow yet another LCG, but going for a bg with one o two big exp per year, it's 100% feasible :)

Gundam

Grimm

Shadowrun

Vampire Masquerade

Dragonriders of Pern

Elfquest

Warhammer Quest co-op! Ding ding ding. You called it. Now, while not a true LCG, I see plenty of expansions in this games future.

Yay my idea, do I get some kinda royalties fir the idea or some free stuff from FFG?? Yeah gimmie a free set FFG please hehe :)

True that, Doc9. I'm superhappy for the announcement :) Despite not being an LCG, it's a coop (full thumbsup!), has a great setting and looks extremely promising in terms of expansions and stuff. I'm kinda happy also with the format: not so sure if I could follow yet another LCG, but going for a bg with one o two big exp per year, it's 100% feasible :)

Yeah, I'm super happy with the format. With GoT 2e on its way, I can't sink much more into FFG. But a standalone bg like this and Fury of Dracula...well those are automatic pre orders.

Like the CeO sad at the Inflight Report on GenCon 2015 - there is not much room for more LCGs. I think only 1 or 2 more. So we will see 2nd Editions of the longer running system and, so i hope, Battletech. ;-)

Like the CeO sad at the Inflight Report on GenCon 2015 - there is not much room for more LCGs. I think only 1 or 2 more. So we will see 2nd Editions of the longer running system and, so i hope, Battletech. ;-)

I hope that too!!

One could easily read his comment as being that the slate is full until something gets retired. I don't want to be a buzzkill to a speculative thread, but I for one don't have the funds to consider an additional LCG.

One could easily read his comment as being that the slate is full until something gets retired. I don't want to be a buzzkill to a speculative thread, but I for one don't have the funds to consider an additional LCG.

Yup, this was my reading too.The only "old" LCG they have in catalogue is Call of Cthulhu. All the other lines are relatively new / recent (2010+). And CoC is relatively suffering: old stuff is reprinted as PoD, and new expansions are produced at a slower pace, 1 deluxe expansion / 4 months: not that the amount of cards released is that different, but it's different for two reasons:

a) the hype: you are not eagerly waiting for a pack / month to rework your decks and improve

b) the way cards are added to the pool: deluxe expansions add cards mostly to one faction in the game, while other factions receive less attention. In the old Asylum packs, you had more or less every faction being expanded at a similar pace (which is key for competitiveness in tournaments)

So, if I had to bet on something, I think they could close the CoC line next (and possibly going with a second asymmetric edition, or a coop version of the game).

This said, I have no actual idea of what's next, so, I'll be sit and enjoy the waiting while playing with AGoT 2nd edition & WHQ

I do hope not Julia, ive just spent a fortune buying CoC :)

I do hope not Julia, ive just spent a fortune buying CoC :)

LOL. I have a complete CoC too... :D

As long as they keep making expansions, CoC will get bigger... :D

If CoC does sink back into the sea, I wonder what they would choose to replace it? Right now, we have a nice collection of fantasy genres on the LCG shelf:

High fantasy ( Lord of the Rings )

Low/deconstructive fantasy ( A Game of Thrones )

High space fantasy ( Star Wars )

Dark science fiction ( Warhammer 40,000: Conquest )

Cyberpunk ( Android: Netrunner )

Currently Call of Cthulhu is the only horror-themed LCG in production, and while fantasy seems to be more popular right now, it could be interesting so see something more bone-chilling to emerge. This if they do declare CoC to be "complete," as they have for Warhammer: Invasion.