What theme to come next from FFG in the LCG format?

By radioboyeric, in Living Card Games

Apparently the V:TES LCG wasn't just a rumor, hoax, or whatever! But don't get your hopes up. According to a Fantasy Flight rep, as well as their CEO (!), in this BoardGameGeek thread , FFG did look into a Vampire / Jyhad remake, but it fell through for some reason.

I'm sure some other company will pick up the idea and run with it, though.

I want Star Trek :)

Well, after read all replies to this topic, I'd like to share my thoughts too.

I'm still sad because my favorite card game was discontinued: Warhammer Invasion. I think it had the best mechanic.

I’m still waiting for an LCG with robots/machines, and I’d like to suggest Heavy Gear, before they do something like what others have done turning Warmachine/Hordes into High Command… But it could be based on Transformers (lots of source) as well.

I really liked the idea of someone else (sorry, I don’t remember who) of doing a new solo/co-op based on Fallout. I said this because: 1) I think it’s an amazing history that could be well used (despite my fear of being not long enough) and 2) I like the solo mode because the low variety of good solo games and the difficult to find players of some LCG’s.

If they wanted some historical-themed like some suggested (sounds good to me, but I think sounds bad for Fantasy Flight… - well, just seem not to be the kind of stuff they would do), I propose something like Anachronism (that for me is the father of the modern LCG) or maybe even something based on mythology (just like Age Mythology - I know, but there are lots of cultures around…).

And I think that something based on sea is still missing, so I suggest an LCG based/similar to ShadowSea or DeepWars (conceptually very interesting, but - excuse-me - poorly executed…), both from Antimatter Games.

Anyway, I’d like to see new, different and exciting game mechanics (sorry, W40K looks beautiful - what is always good, but still not persuade me…), preferably with solo mode (but not only this mode...).

Thanks. J

And I think that something based on sea is still missing

Thats sound interesting. Some Line-Battles with ships. Or a Pirate bases setting.....

Single player mode - this is first what I look for when I check game. Usually I play solitaire.

Nosferatu theme - vampires, werewolves, zombies, hunters with big guns, big blades, crosses and holy water. This would be quite interesting theme.

Okay, so I've been thinking...

I'm not sure if many of you remember, but there was this awesome super-hero card game around 2006 called VS system. Not only was the theme awesome, but the game play was phenomenal as well! It would be the perfect LCG.

Twin Peaks! Coöperative I mean COOPER-ative

Edited by jormungandr

I keep flirting with getting into a LCG but the only one that is solo/co-op (the way I'd prefer to play) is LotR and it has soooo much existing product it scares me off. Plus I'm not super keen on extensive deck-building and I've read that LotR is pretty heavy on that. SW I'd have loved due to theme and reading that the deck-building is far lighter (due to objective setes) but they veered away from solo/co-op and to competitive. It does have the advantage of being fairly new (and I'm hooked on FFG's RPG), though. I wish FFG had gotten Doomtown but oh well. I'd love to see something Arabian Nights themed, or ancient Egyptian.

Don't let LotR scare you too much.

Since you're playing against challenge decks grow in strength along with the cards you get in the same box, you should be ok. Order of purchases is important with that game, but you can look up recommended purchase orders on the FFG forums or the Geek, so I won't get into that here. My point is, as long as you purchase in the correct order, you should be able to build pretty good decks to fight the challenge decks you are going to face.

Deck building also ramps up slowly. In the core, you won't have many options, which will help you to learn the cards. And, expansions don't add huge amounts to the player pool, so you will be able to figure those out pretty quickly too.

One thing about the core, the final challenge deck in the core is very hard. Or, rather it was for me anyway. Don't let it discourage you. There is good advice on line on how to play it, either two handed, with further expansions, or by just blending cards available in the core.

Anyway, LotR is a great game. But since you aren't facing human opponents, the size of your card pool matters less since it will match the challenge decks that came with the cards you have.

Fantasy Flight Games: Thank You!

First of all, I want to thank all the hard working people at Fantasy Flight Games for making wonderful games. I know that some franchises are a miss, but I think with the right marketing and a game that appeals to the fans of those franchises, I am sure you can be very profitable.

I have gone into the deep end with the LotR LCG and I love it. It is hard as snap, especially since I live on a tiny island out off the coast of Korea, but it makes me feel connected to a gaming community, even if I am not really. I used to play games like Magic The Gathering, The X-Files CCG, the older Star Wars CCG, and the first set of the Star Trek CCG.

Why Today's Posting?

So that is why I am posting this today. I know it might be darn near impossible to get, but if you could get the Star Trek franchise and make the kind of game I am thinking, I would buy every set for it.

If anyone is familiar with Star Trek at FFG, and you have time or stumbled across this posting, please give it a look over. I think a Star Trek LCG would be a very good idea. I have seen how well you have done with Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, and I think in many ways, that a Star Trek LCG could very much fit between the mechanics of both games.

The way how Star Wars is done is very interesting. I never played it, but I watched the preview video as well as the majority of the videos about it over on the Team Covenant YouTube page, and I think it works great. It absolutely has great mechanics that fit that franchise. I think the idea of "objective sets", the sets that go with locations is a great idea. I like how the decks cannot be overly abused by just using all the cards you want, and instead, sticking to cards of a particular theme. That is actually really brilliant. And I think that aspect would fit well into a Star Trek LCG as well.

And the best part about the Lord of the Rings LCG is that it is played cooperatively. I think that is probably the biggest draw for a lot of people. I am too tired honestly of fighting against someone who undoubtedly has better skills than I do. That is one reason why I don't really have interest in buying the Star Wars LCG, even though it seems really awesome. I like the idea of an encounter deck and working together. I also like the victory points idea.

Game Concept

So what I would suggest is that the concept of the pods from the SWLCG are tied together with the coop idea of the LOTRLCG to make a Star Trek LCG. And instead of having an objective set that is tied to a location, it would probably be better to have a ship tied to it. And with that, I would suggest ignoring the current new series of Star Trek and focusing on the timelines between the Next Generation and Voyager. That way there is a lot more to play with. So an example of a pod would be perhaps the U.S.S. Enterprise D as the ship, and then having one major character tied to it, perhaps Captain Jean-Luc Picard and have some more bland cards like a navigation ensign and then maybe a ship attachment or something like that. And instead of having 6 objective sets, which I think is what it is the Star Wars one, have three. So that way there are fewer ships thrown about and more things individuals can do.

And where the player(s) play is on a layout of predetermined places, similar to LOTRLCG, and have either an encounter deck like LOTRLCG or have perhaps fewer cards attached to each location, similar to how the old Star Trek CCG was, but mix it up enough to not get sued.

I also think having six different factions, similar to the Star Wars LCG would be good, but for Star Trek, I would recommend something like: Federation, Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi, Dominion, and maybe the Cardassians, or something like that. Perhaps cutting out the Ferengi as their own and substituting a neutral group that would include the Ferengi and others, who knows?

The interesting thing is that each group could have exclusive missions, similar to the base card in SWLCG that tells you how many cards and a base resource you have, something like that. Then you can either play alone, or play with a friend either as a coop game or against each other. That would be neat. And points would be the game result, as well as completing all the missions or the mission pack or whatever you might end up calling it.

Actually, I have this laid out much better in my mind, but I don't want this posting to get too long. If anyone at FFG is interested in my ideas, shoot me a message. I also have some ideas about where you can advertise for fairly cheap in places that aren't card shops.

Thanks to anyone who read my posting. I just needed to say it, even if nobody at FFG can or will read it.

Edited by tonylovessunny

A Coop Star Trek LCG would be great - perfect if you can it play solo.

But I think that Wizkids have the Star Trek license... So we can hope!

I would love to see an X-Files LCG so much potential and so much source material to draw from, I adored the X_FIles CCG and felt it was discontinued before it really took of (darn wizards of the coast for their patent lawsuit of 1997)

DOOMTROOPER!

Who remembers that old CCG? raise your hands!

They recently kickstarted a remake of Mutant Chronicles Warzone Resurection, so let's hope we can get a LCG out of it.

And I think that something based on sea is still missing

Thats sound interesting. Some Line-Battles with ships. Or a Pirate bases setting.....

Bingo. This is my thought as well...

Being a big-time Master & Commander, I've always felt like that universe would make an AMAZING game. All of the other Age of Sail stuff out there feels kind of impersonal and large-scale, since there's no personalities or characters in the game (other than cartoony-like Pirates or something).

Something based on Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin series would be extremely deep and rich.

For anyone that hasn't read the series (or at least seen the movie), it's based around the Royal Navy throughout the Napoleonic period (War of 1812, Waterloo, etc), and centers around a Captain of the Navy throughout his career from a frigate captain up through Admiral. His best friend is a ship's doctor who also moonlights as a spy, providing intelligence for the Admiralty.

Just imagining the possibilities for a naval action LCG, similar to the Star Wars mechanics.... French/English as your dominant factions, with alternate factions of the US Navy, Indiamen, Dutch, Turkish, etc. Objectives being stuff like running a blockade, intercepting transports, re-supplying in exotic locations. Officers and crew to buff your ships and provide that depth. Espionage and politics to act as "edge battles", giving additional swings in momentum and surprises which tip the scales. Weather events, wind control... you could make this as simple or as gritty as you want. (Obviously the simpler mechanics would attract more players, while die-hards would insist on all the typical super-complicated weather-gage maneuvering that goes into line of battle naval games.)

For anyone who has dipped a toe into the Napoleonic historical-fiction realm, this is drool-worthy. The amount of material out there to base this type of game around is unlimited. P'OB has 20+ books just in his series, then there's all the other dozens of authors inspired by him.

If you HAVE to have some kid of a fantasy edge to it, I guess you could go the Naomi Novak "His Majesty's Dragon" route and include some air-corps dragons too. :P

Edited by MTUCache

Hi MTUCache,

great idea. That would be great and it will have a great potential for more games of that kind...

Greetings

Snowhive

I love how well the LOTR LCG plays. Middle-Earth is so expansive that there is virtually no end to the possible content. I feel a Star Wars cooperative LCG would grab even more fans.

I wouldn't mind seeing a Star Trek cooperative LCG, but I think the best scenario would be for FFG to get with Joss Whedon and create a Firefly themed LCG. Not likely to happen, but it would be incredible.

Now, they have some board games about videogames. It could be also possible to see a The Witcher Lcg, or (I hope) Mass Effect Lcg. And what about movies, like Matrix?

As for gameplay, I suggest also a game with offical solo version, like LotR Lcg.

At this point, I would only be interested in buying into another solo-coop LCG (I'm still aways off completing my LotR collection, but making progress), if I liked the theme as well as the mechanics.

I would consider a Star Wars-themed LCG, not sure what else. I don't play video games, so LCG's inspired by video games probably wouldn't attract me. And although I liked Firefly/Serenity as TV shows/movie, I don't think I love the series enough (or think it would be popular enough) to turn it into an LCG.

An LCG based on a single-hero franchise (Conan, Indiana Jones, James Bond) probably would not make much sense… although I could see myself giving an espionage-themed solo/co-op LCG inspired by (but not featuring) James Bond a shot (no pun intended).

Maybe a post-apocayptic solo/co-op game that would tie into FFG's new End of the World RPG line (or something inspired by Mad Max -- fourth movie scheduled for release in 2015)? I would consider buying into those.

But really, between AGoT 2nd ed and LotR, I'm not sure that my wallet would actually want FFG to put out another LCG that I would be interested in buying into… :-)

EDIT: Forgot to add that if/when Call of Cthulhu ends its run (a game I don't currently play), I would happily invest in a Cthulhu solo/co-op LCG.

Edited by TwiceBornh

I would consider a Star Wars-themed LCG, not sure what else.

It's your lucky day, my friend.

I would consider a Star Wars-themed LCG, not sure what else.

It's your lucky day, my friend.

Uh… maybe the first paragraph in my previous post should have been worded differently (?), so let me rephrase that. Notwithstanding AGoT 2e, I am ONLY interested in purchasing solo/co-op LCGs, which the current Star Wars game you so kindly provided me a link to is not.

I did make multiple references throughout that post to my interest in solo/co-op LCGs, but I acknowledge that I still could have been clearer… hopefully that has now been achieved.

Edited by TwiceBornh

There are great Solo-Rules for SW LCG on bgg.com. Take a look.

Thanks for the tip -- I will. And I'll curse you if I end up buying into the game. ;)

han-solo-smuggler.jpg

At this point, I would only be interested in buying into another solo-coop LCG (I'm still aways off completing my LotR collection, but making progress), if I liked the theme as well as the mechanics.

I would consider a Star Wars-themed LCG, not sure what else. I don't play video games, so LCG's inspired by video games probably wouldn't attract me. And although I liked Firefly/Serenity as TV shows/movie, I don't think I love the series enough (or think it would be popular enough) to turn it into an LCG.

An LCG based on a single-hero franchise (Conan, Indiana Jones, James Bond) probably would not make much sense… although I could see myself giving an espionage-themed solo/co-op LCG inspired by (but not featuring) James Bond a shot (no pun intended).

Maybe a post-apocayptic solo/co-op game that would tie into FFG's new End of the World RPG line (or something inspired by Mad Max -- fourth movie scheduled for release in 2015)? I would consider buying into those.

But really, between AGoT 2nd ed and LotR, I'm not sure that my wallet would actually want FFG to put out another LCG that I would be interested in buying into… :-)

EDIT: Forgot to add that if/when Call of Cthulhu ends its run (a game I don't currently play), I would happily invest in a Cthulhu solo/co-op LCG.

I'm pretty much right on board with you. I have found that I really enjoy solo games/coop games, they are really a great way to scratch the table top RPG itch when unable to get to a gaming group. I have fallen into the deep end with the LOTR LCG and would love a similar format (new quests/scenarios with every pack) with new theme and mechanics.

As other folks have stated, using an existing property seems to make good sense for an LCG and it probably also needs to be one with enough established fiction to have room for lots of growth in both player cards and scenarios. All of the ones you mentioned seem like they would be really cool... An Indiana Jones (or even generic pulp universe) themed one would be great and fit the format nicely as would the Conan universe (lots of adventures waiting). These two seem to have some real potential and wouldn't need to be restricted to Indy or Conan themselves, they both lend themselves to playing other adventurers in the same universe. Actually, the more I think about it the more I really like the Indy/pulp theme...survive a trek into the Andes, break into a trap filled tomb, fight Nazis waiting for you at the entrance, retrieve artifact from Nazis in Berlin and have a big chase through the streets. Could be really cool.

Which is all just to say here is one more vote for another solo/coop LCG.

I've recently gotten into the LCG format and it occurred to me that an LCG based on the adventures of Conan (of Barbarian rather than Late Night fame), based on the same rules as LOTR could be quite an interesting proposition. As evidenced by the recent Kickstarter campaign for a Conan board game, raising over $3m, there is plenty of interest in the franchise. It has a world as rich as Middle Earth, if not even more so in my opinion, plenty of scope for "travel", and a plethora of possible enemies and allies. I imagine you could do it as having Conan as an always present "hero", with no faction whose "resource" could pay for anything, and then two more heroes from differing factions, so for example a fighter like Valeria and a mage, with access to different allies and abilities based on those factions. I think it could really work well. Oh, and solo option, obviously. :)

Does FFG read this sort of thread, or do they just think it's "fanboy chatter"...?

Edited by NikToo