What theme to come next from FFG in the LCG format?

By radioboyeric, in Living Card Games

So I only read through the first few pages since someone revived this thread from the dead. Interesting timing...

All of the ideas mentioned here are not FFG property and would have to be licensed.

Yeah, that's why I suggested Twilight Imperium on p.7. Also, since FFG already has licencing agreements with other companies like GW, it may be easier to extend and/or broaden existing agreements, which is why I also mentioned 40k.

Though I really dislike the Terrinoth IP, I do agree with you that an in-house IP would be more flexible and might prove better for the long-term health of whatever FFG settles on for the next LCG.

Whatever they choose (I'm hoping for a 40K standard 1v1 now that WI dev. has stopped), I would love if they stop putting in single copies of cards into their core sets. I understand that they like to release a larger array of cards in a Core Set than a universal 3X release would allow. But I think a better, less alienating, compromise would be to make ALL cards in the Core set 2X!

This way, instead of having to buy 3 copies of a core (which only a few people ever do so they don't make that much money on it) to have a complete competitive set, you can get a full set by buying 1 Core and then sharing another with a friend! This, I think, would pay serious dividends to FFG as a lot of people (I know more than a few) don't buy into new LCGs because right off the bat you're at a serious disadvantage if you don't buy 3 cores. This requirement is certainly more formidable than having to split another with a friend to get a complete set! I personally, wouldn't hesitate to buy that extra half core because, if you think about it, its all those wasted cards that you're forced to buy when going 3X that really is a bitter pill to swallow! Since all the cards get used in that extra set, I would say the majority of players wouldn't hesitate to buy it!

Please FFG think about a universal 2X release! you will see the benefits in greater sales, and a lot more player enthusiasm upon release!!

Non fantasy theme please. No d+d, dragons, magic, etc. Something closer to reality, modern day, current events, or historical. A theme that I won't be embarrassed by if my non-gaming co-workers catch me playing.

Seems like the problem might be how you're approaching your geeky hobby. Part of it is not being ashamed of what you love, and also embracing the truth that geek is the new chic. With shows like The Walking Dead and Game of Thrones being mainstream viewage that you cannot be an internet user without at least hearing about, the sci-fi and fantasy genres aren't looked at with the same scorn that they once were, at least among the 18-40 age demographic.

I would be thrilled if FFG resurrected 7th Sea in the LCG format!

VS system

Whatever their next LCG is, I hope there's a solo aspect. I'd be all over Star Wars if it had the same player vs deck mechanic as Lord of the Rings. Perhaps something could be implemented to make both game types possible in the next LCG...

Whatever their next LCG is, I hope there's a solo aspect. I'd be all over Star Wars if it had the same player vs deck mechanic as Lord of the Rings. Perhaps something could be implemented to make both game types possible in the next LCG...

Co-op lcgs make me sick.

Agreed. I don't always have an opportunity to game with my teenage son. I think there are more older gamers interested in this type of game than many think though I don't know if the numbers are large enough to convince FFG to do another one like LOTR.

Edited by morganclan

My two cents on this topic...

so far we have:

3 LCG having fantasy setting: AGoT, LotR, Warhammer: Invasion

2 LCG having a sci-fi / cyberpunk theme: SW, Android: Netrunner

1 LCG with a Cthulhu Mythos setting: CoC

and

1 LCG coop: LotR

2 LCG asymmetrical: Android: Netrunner, SW

2 LCG symmetrical for 2p: CoC, Warhammer: Invasion

1 LCG able to work with more players: AGoT

so, I think it would be safe to infere (from these data; no idea of any market analysis) that a coop or a horror-themed game could be interesting as next move (as for LCG involving more players... with Balance of the Force arriving, we should have this option granted for SW, and, IIRC, there should be something arriving for Warhammer as well, so I'd say this need is about to be satisfacted by their latest products). Some mentioned rumors about FFG having license for a VTES re-edtion in LCG format; this could also be an interesting option.

Warhammer multiplayer came out a while ago. Also that game has no new product coming it's been stopped.

What about aJames Bond theme? I think there is a lot of possibilities of Characters and so!

I'm not sure if it's come up before, but VS System was a REALLY good game. Some might say the best game of all time.

Love VS system! (I'm on the current Players Council at vssystem.org) - still playing events, and would really dig a Superhero Themed LCG designed by FFG.

The original Star Wars game was supposed to be coop, but they got too much negative feedback. People want to be able to play Dark Side!

I would be thrilled if FFG resurrected 7th Sea in the LCG format!

+1 to that. I recently got a bunch of 7th Sea cards in a trade on Boardgamegeek and we've been having a lot of fun with the game. It would be awesome in an LCG format.

Whatever the theme I think it would be cool if they incorporated storyline stuff similar to L5R or some other thing beyond just the game content. Just to give it a different feel than the other LCGs.

Edited by cparadis

I think that we MAY have an answer this Spring. During an interview with Eric Lang yesterday he mentioned two projects for FFG. He understandably couldn't say anything about theme, IP, or whether it was an LCG or not (I asked) but he did say FFG would be releasing details on one of the two projects he's working on with them in three or four months. Considering his past work with FFG leans heavily towards LCGs, I think the chances are high.

A 40K LCG would be really nice, I know not another GW game but **** 40k has unlimited things you can do so why not.

Whatever the theme I think it would be cool if they incorporated storyline stuff similar to L5R or some other thing beyond just the game content. Just to give it a different feel than the other LCGs.

FFG has been inching towards more community involvement with Netrunner, doing the Plugged In tour and the new one with the two Corp identities. There's not really a global storyline yet, but I'm guessing that any new LCG that comes out would also feature some sort of community involvement.

FFG does also have the little story inserts that are in each card pack, it doesn't seem like it would take that much effort to convert these into a more ongoing storyline rather than the current more standalone style.

I don't ever expect this, but Dune is such a tantalizing choice. The layers of political intrigue, pyschological maneuvering, resource management, warfare, racial traits, powers and potential challenges seem mind blowing. Nothing would make my girlfriend happier than a LCG based on the first series.

Regardless there are many fine ideas posted. I am eager to see what they do next.

I think a Super hero LCG could be really good. If FFG did it I think it should not be an existing ip but a new one created by them. It could be heroes vs villains

This won't happen, but man would I love it to: a VS. mode of LOTR that could use the existing player cards. I don't think the current event cards would work, but here is how I see it could be done. Have three Quest cards set up in the middle of the table ala Call of Cthulhu. These cards would have quest and combat stages in order to claim them. In order to execute this a big box would be needed so that the forces of evil could be fleshed out... Isengard, Morder, Southrons, Easterlings, Dunlendings... And they would need different spheres that could attack the game from different angles. Players could either pick a side or, in a tournament setting, have to alternate sides in a best of five.

Oh well probably too much, but a guy can dream.

A couple of themes that I think could happen are Conan and Sherlock Holmes. (The later was suggested by someone else, but it's a great idea.) Sherlock seems like it would be a great solo game to me, while Conan could be a pretty good VS game. It might be too shallow though.

In the cold light of day I see that there are too many holes for the existing cards to be used. A VS. LOTR game could be developed, and I think it could be a good one, but it would need to be built from the ground up or it would be too kludge.

Yes, it would definitely have to be made from the ground up, the co-op system is to different for those cards to fit into a competitive LCG.

I'd still love to play it though, even if it was another 2-sided game like Netrunner and Star Wars where you have a Free People and Shadow deck or whatever. I'd have definitely been more interested in LotR if it had been this sort of game.

Hi Folks,

i desperately hope it will be a another coop LCG that can be played solo. Depending on your professional Environment the gaming Hobby is rather unpopular or even being laughed at.

I have lotr and very happy with it but i would buy into a second game preferably WH40K themed :rolleyes: .

Anyone knows when an announcement gonna be made?

So long

Zodmaniac