What theme to come next from FFG in the LCG format?

By radioboyeric, in Living Card Games

My friends and I are hoping for a 40k game since we have been priced out of the wargaming hobby.

I would love it if FFG made a Star Trek LCG.

I don't know anyone who's quit an old LCG to play a new one. I *DO* know a lot of people that play (and collect) multiple LCGs though. I play Call of Cthulhu as my main game, but I've picked up on Netrunner and I just bought two Core set for Star Wars when I stumbled onto a good eBay deal. I'm also really hoping that FFG announces a new LCG at Gencon in a few days that I will really love, whatever the theme may be. Personally, I would love to see some great new mechanics come out and I think there is still tons of unexplored territory. None of the current LCGs are similar to VTES for multiplayer, or have anything similar to Doomtown's poker mechanic. None of them really incorporate positioning which is still underexplored in LCGs. There's still room to grow.

If they release another LCG, I think they need to be careful not to be too similar in mechanics and theme to any of the other ones, because each new LCG potentially fractures their player base further. Quite a few players already switched from some of the older LCGs to the new ones like Star Wars and Netrunner.

Lots of people quit old ones to play new ones. I don't know how you don't know someone who has. I quit Warhammer and then only played AGoT. Now with Netrunner and more so Star Wars I am stopping AGoT. If a 40K one comes out I will likely drop Netrunner and maybe even sell it off and stick with Star Wars and 40K.

I'm sure it happens, just not in our group I guess. I've heard of people dropping an LCG due to not having opponents, but that's a separate thing. Or if they no longer like it, or if they need to cut costs, etc... I guess I'm going with a pretty strict definition is the difference. I know people who've dropped LCGs, but not specifically in order to switch to a new one.

I'm late to this party but my top five choices of game reboot/licence as an LCG would be

Jyhad (VTES)

Doomtrooper

Raw Deal

Lord of the Rings (not co-operative)

Legend of the 5 Rings (as AEG just switched to yearly rotation, the scum bags)

Most LCG players are a little older than other CCG players right?

Two words: Twin Peaks!

Lol that ain't ever going to happen :)

Wichever subject FFG will choose, I would like to have also solo game rules.

I would like to see a good space one. Maybe even something based off TI3.

I like space ships and sci fi so I tooo would love to see space ships in a Firefall art style or some other slick ship and art style.

I also would like to see a game board lcg combo like

Star Chamber: The Harbinger Saga

or Cabal.

There are not enough origanal and fresh sci fi game universes imo, in ccg or now lcg.

1 thing I would like to see though is a way to play online. I guess you could use skype but something is nice about MTG online where you can just jump in to a game from anywhere.

While we are at it, a Hex type mmolcg with a tech sci fi theme would really make my day.

Edited by xycrone

Man, Twilight Imperium theme, 40K theme, LoL and V:TES are all excellent ideas for LCGs.

The way Warhammer: Invasion is going, 40K could use similar mechanics and replace Invasion as a sort of 2.0 LCG perhaps.

LoL, having played the PC game a few times would make for some very interesting mechanics, from choosing your hero, decking them out with certain equipment cards as the game progresses, to fighting it out over the various positions on the map.

Maybe it would make more sense as a board game, but after seeing a Kickstarter for a tower defence card game (that looked pretty cool), I can see a LoL LCG being really interesting mechanically.

No idea what you could do with TI, unless you adapt an old CCG like Babylon 5.

V:TES excites me as well, simply because I hear so much about that old card game but the V:TES rumour turned out to be that clan based card/board game that was discussed in a recent news post.

With the recent success of the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game, it seems like FFG may already be considering ways to produce a competing solo/cooperative game with a similar leveling mechanic as an LCG (as distinct from LotR which focuses much more on mechanical optimization). Were FFG to make a more engaging adventure card game, the question becomes, which IP would they go with?

1) Warhammer 40k would work well as there is plenty of variety in enemies and scenarios and the player could acquire relics, psychic powers, imperial and xenos technologies, etc.

2) Twilight Imperium would be another great option as there is so much we've yet to see in that universe at the scale of a small party of adventurers. That is to say, we've seen galactic politics and warfare, but there's lots of room to detail smaller ships, items, minor characters, etc.

If FFG forgoes the solo/cooperative game route and instead opts for another duel/multiplayer game, the top choices for me would be:

1) Dune - Asymmetrical or multiple win conditions, and potential for multiplayer intrigue

2) Twilight Imperium - FFG's best original IP, and since it doesn't require licensing this could be infinitely expandable. This could be at multiple scales (like Star Wars) so you'd have politicians vying for power, fleets colonizing new systems, ground invasions, etc. much like in TI3.

I think you need to re-read what they're actually doing.

I think you need to re-read what they're actually doing.

What are they actually doing?

The old L5R system was a 2-year rotation. Each arc lasts 2 years and the cards from that arc are legal during that time. The problem with this is that player enthusiasm tends to be high for the first half of the arc but lower for the second half. Buying cards that will be good for 2 years may be a good deal, but buying cards that will be good for less than a year is unappealing. To help with this, they did have a period near the end of the arc during which cards were "dual bugged" meaning that the last couple sets from Arc A would also be legal during Arc B. This helps improve the perceived value.

A yearly rotation would be the same thing, except Arcs would only last a year and all the cards would be short-lived. This would indeed suck, as FatbastUK pointed out. Thankfully, this is not the situation we're facing though.

What they're actually doing is splitting the 2-year Arcs into two halves and doing yearly half-rotations. Specifically, any card you buy now is legal for two half-Arcs. So, when Ivory Edition comes out at the start of 2015 the cards you buy then will be good for 2015 & 2016. Cards you buy in 2016 will be good in 2016 & 2017, and so on forward. There will no longer be a lame second half of the arc where cards have a shorter lifespan.

This has been pretty much universally seen as a huge improvement on every forum I've seen both by potential new and long-time L5R players. It also means that the game is easier to get into because there's much less of a "bad time to join" during the "2nd half" period of an arc.

They will also be introducing an "extended" format where cards are good for 3 years but the feeling I get is that this will roll out later - the point being that Emperor Edition isn't made to be mixed into the new environment and they want to avoid that. So, your Ivory cards may actually be good for 3 years depending on whether this format catches on or not.

The impression I got from L5R is that it's a good game, marred partially by the CCG model, and partially by the special weirdness that AEG attaches to it (e.g. the arcs). I guess they're doing something right, because it's been around this long, but, hell...it's a tough game to get into.

Non fantasy theme please. No d+d, dragons, magic, etc. Something closer to reality, modern day, current events, or historical. A theme that I won't be embarrassed by if my non-gaming co-workers catch me playing.

************I will not buy any more lcg unless it has optional SOLITAIRE game rules included!***************

Edited by barniface

Non fantasy theme please. No d+d, dragons, magic, etc. Something closer to reality, modern day, current events, or historical. A theme that I won't be embarrassed by if my non-gaming co-workers catch me playing.

************I will not buy any more lcg unless it has optional SOLITAIRE game rules included!***************

You could always stick to the LotR LCG, though you seem against the generic fantasy setting which everyone bases off of Tolkien anyway.

Star Wars was originally going to be similar to LotR LCG, but there was a huge backlash, so 1vdeck gameplay was removed and 1v1 implemented instead.

Netrunner is a bluff game more than anything else, so while I have seen 1 player variants, they completely go against the spirit of the game. The only workable MtG single player variants exist on the PC game by going against an NPC.

I just don't see solo play being all that exciting unless there is a LotR style challenge deck to go against. It's the only true way to have an automated experience in card form as otherwise you'd be able to see the hand you are playing against and spend resources in such a way so that it is easier for you to win, it just sounds like a less fun version of a 1v1 game.

For an LCG, the solo play in general is the deck building aspect before a 1v1 game.

I suggest starting a new game group through your local game store, see if you can attract another 3 people to do mini tournaments or just generally meet up to play LCGs with. You could meet once a month or once a fortnight. Or teach a significant other, as I have done with Netrunner and LotR.

Thanks,

I love the LCG format, and Fantasy Flight production quality. Just wish there were more co-op/solo LCG besides LOTR.

I was really looking forward to Star Wars LCG, till they changed it at the last moment to PVP. :mellow:

I would love to play:

1. Fallout (Coop/Single)

2. Star Trek (PvP)

3. Dune (PvP)

Edited by 4tman

+1 for the W40K theme (single/coop/Pvp) :D

Has anyone mentioned Magi-Naion. That is my absolute favorite tcg of all time. It has a totally unique system and the art work is fantastic.

If you haven't heard of it check out http://www.bluefurok.com/ . It is a fan site that has everything you could want to know about the game.

Has anyone mentioned Magi-Naion. That is my absolute favorite tcg of all time. It has a totally unique system and the art work is fantastic.

If you haven't heard of it check out http://www.bluefurok.com/ . It is a fan site that has everything you could want to know about the game.

I'm with ya. Magi-Nation is great. The creators of the setting sold it off a long time ago. I have no idea who owns the rights to the game.

Edited by skwizzle

So I only read through the first few pages since someone revived this thread from the dead. Interesting timing...

All of the ideas mentioned here are not FFG property and would have to be licensed. In fact, few of you are seem unaware that FFG licensed Netrunner from Wizards of the Coast (it was designed by the guy that created Magic).

Currently, all of their LCGs are licensed properties. Even if they did the oft-mentioned Dust universe, that would still be a licensed property (even before FFG sold the publication rights, it belongs to Dust Studios).

I would like to see a Runebound LCG, set in FFG's universe, meaning it could live forever.

I'm with ya. Magi-Nation is great. The creators of the setting sold it off a long time ago. I have no idea who owns the rights to the game.

Cookie Jar currently owns the rights to Magi-Nation and they are responsible for the cartoon that ran a few years ago.

Now that Warhammer: Invasion's "out of commission", I'd like to see:

1. Blood Bowl (expand on Team Manager CG? Add more teams, new Star Players etc)

2. Warhammer 40K - nuff said. I was actually playing the Sabertooth Games one till they "reset" the CCG into "Horus Heresy".

3. Deadlands / Doomtown - this would work great as an LCG, as many other members of this forum have pointed out in great detail. No brainer IMHO.