What theme to come next from FFG in the LCG format?

By radioboyeric, in Living Card Games

Mechwarriors around the world have pledges 1.8 million for a new Battletech video game. Other ideas for the license, including a card game, have been brought up in the comments. And Tops should be able to say their licenses relate back to cards in some way.

The money and player base is out there. Go grab Battetech while its hot.

Since FFG acquired Legend of the 5 Rings I have to say that I loved the Spycraft CCG from AEG back in the day.

The idea of Bond villains, super spies and fancy gadgets was and still is pretty niche for a card game and the basic mechanics worked perfectly to capture the feeling.

It also had very solid multiplayer rules. The property is now owned by crafty games as far as I know.

With James Bond, Archer, Kinsmen, and Man from UNCLE, spies are hot again and would be a new 'theme' for LCGs (the sci-fi battles of TF and Batteltech are there already) Weather buying spy craft, one of the license mentioned above, or just use the generic space to build something new. The idea could easily build from 1 on 1, to 1 on many, to team events.

It also had very solid multiplayer rules. The property is now owned by crafty games as far as I know.

AEG still owns it. They license it to Crafty.

For years many have responded to this thread voicing their desire to see a Dune game of any (or many) kinds.

I have heard Mr. Herbert is exceptionally difficult to work with but the fans are speaking, I think such a classic EPIC as Dune (right up there with LotR and Star Wars) deserves a well crafted LCG and board/miniatures game.

Edited by VanderHuge

This new announced board game in world of Mutant Chronicles brings hope for another LCG in this universum. As FFG dropped WH40K they're in need of another cosmic stuff, and quasi-like Warhammer world of MC fits perfectly. Reincarnarion of Dark Eden, which i found one of the best CCG games i played, should be a blast.

Edited by kempy

Turn Cosmic Encounters or Twilight Emperium into a LCG might be weird to do but hey we're getting a rpg/card game why no a political card game with aliens.

I heard that FFG was going to do a Vampire themed LCG, but they ditched it.

Any word or info on this?

IIRC, they looked at the license for Jyhad/Vampyre, and decided it didn't make business sense for them.

That was many LCGs ago, so I doubt that's changed, and I imagine if they were considering a different vampire-themed LCG, we would've seen it by now.

IIRC, they looked at the license for Jyhad/Vampyre, and decided it didn't make business sense for them.

That was many LCGs ago, so I doubt that's changed, and I imagine if they were considering a different vampire-themed LCG, we would've seen it by now.

Many thanks for the update BD. Not my first pick ( see below ) but was definitely curious about that now very old rumor mill.

For years many have responded to this thread voicing their desire to see a Dune game of any (or many) kinds.

I have heard Mr. Herbert is exceptionally difficult to work with but the fans are speaking, I think such a classic EPIC as Dune (right up there with LotR and Star Wars) deserves a well crafted LCG and board/miniatures game.

Seconded on Dune again and again ... the potential for multi-player intrigue mixed with combat is immensely appealing.

I'd like to see a LCG that gets my GF interested too and which I could play with her w/out having to persuade her every time. She is not too much into space, sci-fi, horror, medival and such "nerdy" themes. She likes the role-playing aspect of Arkahm LCG though and is very much into action movies like Jason Bourne, Homeland and the like.

So I would too suggest something contemporary with a spies/agents/special agency-theme which should be much about staging covert operations, gather intelligence, locate target subjects, interrogate suspects, hinder presidents assassination attempts and so forth. I really could see this work, like in Homeland or 24, where you follow a long-time goal (e.g. establish a new leader in some foreign country/uncover the ramified sleeping cell in your country/chase down the head of an international operating evil organisation etc. as the story ark for a number of some expansion sets) through fulfilling day-to-day agents work (like the above mentioned as the scenarios). You would then develop your character as in Arkham LCG and work your way up to be the perfect Bond/Bourne/Bauer/Mathison (thinking about using the weakness traits from Arkham LCG!) hybrid!

And I wouldn't care about a license - make up something on your own FFG!

That would sound like fun to me, and I guess would invite even more people outside the community into playing LCGs.

What do you think?

Legendary Pictures has just acquired the TV and movie rights for the Dune Universe and say they want to actively move fowled right away. We may see a revival of interest on the Dune universe as early as 2018

After Game of Thrones , Lord of the Rings , Netrunner ,Warhammer Fantasy Star Wars ,W40K Conquest, Cthulhu, Legend of Five Rings ...

Anything could happen, even "My little Pony LCG" in order to hook the young-ones ( "...and bring them all and in the geekness bind them..." )

;-)

My Little Pony: The RPG comes out in 2017, being created by Alessia Cavatore, the man behind Warhammer Fantasy, Warhammer 40K, Lord of the Rings, Mordheim, Kings of War, and Terminator games.

My little pony ccg already exists. Not sure it's still going or not.

I would love to see a Harry Potter or Mass Effect LCG

Edited by MakoCLoud

A Doctor Who soloable/coop LCGs would be ideal for me.

I'd particularly love to see something based on the Expanse series.

More generically, I want more settings other than traditional fantasy: spies, superheroes, time travel, planetary settlers, or fantasy with non-Tolkienesque settings like Greek epics, or wuxia.

I would like to see a Twilight Imperium LCG. A revamp of WH Conquest, but with a better emphasis on planetary battles and units.

They could include a sort of campaign. You have to conquer a system and fight on planets. Space battles determine on which planet the main battle takes place. After a planet is conquered, the next space battle determines the next planetary battle. For competitive play, FFG could announce a planet for a tournament season or release POD planets for OP.

22 minutes ago, stahlwolle said:

I would like to see a Twilight Imperium LCG. A revamp of WH Conquest, but with a better emphasis on planetary battles and units.

They could include a sort of campaign. You have to conquer a system and fight on planets. Space battles determine on which planet the main battle takes place. After a planet is conquered, the next space battle determines the next planetary battle. For competitive play, FFG could announce a planet for a tournament season or release POD planets for OP.

I really like this idea. Especially different planets for tournament seasons.

Tales from the Crypt, based on the tv show could be interesting.

I honest to God still can't believe there's no Avatar the last airbender as a younger audience oriented LCG.

12 hours ago, Gizlivadi said:

I honest to God still can't believe there's no Avatar the last airbender as a younger audience oriented LCG.

Could be interesting, but that IP is very old now. The original is over a decade old, the newer Avatar: Legend of Korra had a mixed reception and it's 3rd and 4th seasons were pulled from the air and only begrudgingly continued online, and the M. Night Shyamalan live-action movie bombed at the box office and was critically panned.

Extremely unlikely to see a Avatar LCG, IMO.

36 minutes ago, DrugsForRobots said:

Could be interesting, but that IP is very old now. The original is over a decade old, the newer Avatar: Legend of Korra had a mixed reception and it's 3rd and 4th seasons were pulled from the air and only begrudgingly continued online, and the M. Night Shyamalan live-action movie bombed at the box office and was critically panned.

Extremely unlikely to see a Avatar LCG, IMO.

You're right in what you said, but on the other hand Netflix recently announced a live action remake made by the same team as the animated series. Hopefully it'll be good and build some hype for Avatar again.