What theme to come next from FFG in the LCG format?

By radioboyeric, in Living Card Games

Yeah, what a great, great choice.

Yes, this is pretty much the #1 choice they could possibly make, and moving it to the Android universe avoids the double-licensing problem nicely that we thought would be a problem if anyone wanted to resurrect this game.

I'll be lined up to buy my copy as soon as it's available.

I couldn't be happier. A bunch of us were saying we'd love to see Netrunner or something cyberpunk-related (at least in other threads) and FFG delivers. An absolute triumph!

hopefully warhammer 40k will be the next one

Reager said:

hopefully warhammer 40k will be the next one

Yes, pretty please?

Seems a lot of people want

Warhammer 40K

X-Files

Doomtown

7th Sea

Dune

Any others I missed?

I think Highlander would be a good choice. Put it in the hands of a capable company and it would work. The Core set could have 4 immortal personas, and each pack could be an "immortal" pack introducing a new playable immortal to the game. The problem is that the SwordMaster system is still held by someone who doesn't know how to handle a company or how to play nice with his customers…

Vampire the Eternal Struggle would be a great addition to the LCG collection. It has a cool theme and fills a niche not already taken by any of the other LCG's. Plus…I want a card that says 'UZI'.

I take my last statement back in re: to there not being any LCG already filling the niche that Vampire could. I guess CoC is a modern type of horror setting. The cool thing about Vampire though is that it could be set in present times.

Vampire would be a good choice- it played really well multiplayer, didn't it? That would be a plus.

Doc9 said:

Plus…I want a card that says 'UZI'.

So try Terminator TCG (But with the same system, AvP is really better). happy.gif

OOPs double post.

Must be deleted

Juzam66 said:

So try Terminator TCG (But with the same system, AvP is really better). happy.gif

It's not an LCG. I'll only ever play an LCG again.

Asmoridin said:

Vampire would be a good choice- it played really well multiplayer, didn't it? That would be a plus.

Vampire would be my choice as well, but with hands-on assistance from White Wolf for the worldbuilding and what-not.

I would love to see Doomtown re-released in this format, but it is probably has lots of rights issues because although Pinnacle owns the rights to Deadlands, Doomtown is owned by AEG. In addition, I would love to see a sci-fi themed game. Dune would be really cool, but we know FFG has had issues getting the rights. So it would be awesome to have one based on Twilight Imperium. Since it is their own intellectual property, it would make a lot of sense I think, but it may not be strong enough to support the LCG model.

Toqtamish said:

Not all of the LCG's are solo capable nor will future ones necessarily be. Most of the current LCG's are non solo competitive, LotR and the soon to come Star Wars are the only two that are not and in many ways are two of the least popular. LotR is kept afloat by the fact that it is LotR and still has a large audience attraction. Star Wars we will have to wait and see how it plays to see how that one goes but it is Star Wars afterall so will grab a lot of attention due to that fact and the movies coming out again will help things.

This may be asking a bit much, but I think it would make sense for FFG to consider systems that can be played both solo and competitive. One idea would be a special "Encounters" deck that plays the other side in solo games (and that gives some boosts to compensate for an otherwise unintelligent opponent), or something like the table-and-dice-driven "bot" that ships with one of the expansions to Race for the Galaxy.

I'd be curious to see a 4 players competitive LCG mafia wars kinda game. Italian vs Russian vs Chinese vs Irish and more…..

What about the Twilight Imperium universe? There's a multiplayer setting that could definitely use a quicker game than exists at present.

Even if I think, that a Twilight Imperium LCG could be cool (FFG would have the freedom to create almost whatever they want because it's their own licence) I would love to see a LCG Remake of the old Shadowrun CCG.

I loved that game! But with Netrunner we already have some kind of Cyberpunk like setting, so I guess we won't see that…

Killer Power said:

Even if I think, that a Twilight Imperium LCG could be cool (FFG would have the freedom to create almost whatever they want because it's their own licence) I would love to see a LCG Remake of the old Shadowrun CCG.

I loved that game! But with Netrunner we already have some kind of Cyberpunk like setting, so I guess we won't see that…

The other problem with that is they would have to license the game and the setting. With Netrunner all they needed was the game engine, they already have the setting and it is their own.

Definitely Star Wars

158hoff said:

Definitely Star Wars

I am not sure if you are being serious or trying to make a joke but we already know that.

I would like to see a historical themed game based on WW2 or Napoleonic wars. FFG likes having factions and either of those has lots of nations and also armed units, divisions etc that could be used as sub themes.

A historical game based on WWII or Napoleonic Wars sounds interesting, especially if they (as they almost certainly would) did it as an alternate-history version.

I'd also still like to see VTES be the next LCG. It's got a cult following much as Netrunner and licensing the best games available seems like a good recipe for success. Contrast now much enthusiasm there is for Netrunner versus how the Star Wars game is struggling so badly to get any traction. If they can release VTES along with a decent set of 2p rules to supplement the multiplayer rules I'd be all over it.

I don't think White Wolf is an issue either. FFG already re-themed Netrunner in their own universe, they can pretty easily do the same with VTES. Call it the Fury of Dracula LCG, make up new names, and you no longer need to worry about licensing the setting.

dboeren said:

I don't think White Wolf is an issue either. FFG already re-themed Netrunner in their own universe, they can pretty easily do the same with VTES. Call it the Fury of Dracula LCG, make up new names, and you no longer need to worry about licensing the setting.

Oops, didn't realize White Wolf actually owns both the game and the setting now :) So you have to deal with them regardless…

I haven't played the Vampire card game, but I'm a fan of White Wolf's (old) World of Darkness RPG universe, and they had several games that utilized and expanded that setting (Vampire the Masquerade, Werewolf: The Apocalypse, etc.), so there would already be a natural faction system, and distint subthemes for each faction, that may translate well into a (ideally multiplayer) LCG. I haven't played any new World of Darkness stuff, but I believe most of the factions and many of the subfactions are still present, just the overall roleplaying theme and flavor of the games has shifted. So I guess either old or new World of Darkness would make for a nice LCG.

However, I have little hope that FFG would be able and/or willing to acquire the license in the near future.

Another pen&paper I enjoyed is Shadowrun, but with the recent release of Netrunner, I don't see them investing in another cyberpunk-themed LCG anytime soon. But I always found it an interesting setting in that it mixes cyberpunk with high-fantasy elements (magic, elves, orcs, dragons, etc.) and there would be a lot of source material to draw from.