What theme to come next from FFG in the LCG format?

By radioboyeric, in Living Card Games

Just trying to see what everyone thinks of the next type of theme FFG has up their sleeve for the newest LCG game format. Assuming that they will come out with more.

I'm hoping a space theme would be next. Crossing my own fingers. I love the LOTR LCG. I think it is amazing. Piggy-backing how they setup that game I would love to see a Space themed Coop 1-4 player game LCG.

Currently there are 3 Fantasy based games and 1 Horror/Fantasy theme. Perhaps a "Shadowrun" sort of modern/space theme might be next.

Or perhaps another horror themed based on a modern theme (zombie, apocolyptic blah blah) or possibly a dracula/werewolf etc....theme.

I'm still holding out hope for a Warhammer 40K LCG.

I would like to see a good space one. Maybe even something based off TI3.

Hoping strongly for USF, but WH 4 K would be nice, too. Would be so interesting to have some game featuring spacebattles and fights on planets. A good Multiplayer mode would be great, as it lacked in WH I. Oh, and Tannhäuser would be good. Love that one.

Warhammer 40k

Wheel of Time

Star Wars (and/or clone wars)

X-Files

Firefly

Battlestar Galactica

Starcraft

that's some stuff I'd like to see

Dune?

Definitely Dune.

maybe one based offa dust and me and my friends made a multilayer variant for W:I when i get around to rigthin it all out ill post it here

Dust would be really cool. I'd play. I'd probably prefer Tannhuaser, but both would be pretty awesome.

i never got tannhauser im thinkin of it but i perfer extended ww2 to an extended ww1 normally for fluff reasons

A new LCG need a big licence.

So I think WH40K, or Star Wars are the most interesting project.

Katagena said:

A new LCG need a big licence.

The problem is that releasing new LCgs results in diminishing return for FFG:

LCGs appeal to roughly the same target audience, so at some point, customers will stop buying one of the LCGs to invest in a different one, resulting in no additional profit for FFG.

So, they'd have to find a way to make a new LCG appealing to a target audience that is different from the previous ones. LotR did that in two ways:

- The theme helped to get LotR fans interested in LCGs, i.e. people who wouldn't normally be interested in that kind of game.

- The cooperative nature and solo play option widened the scope to include players who refrained from buying into LCGs because of problems with finding opponents.

jhaelen said:

So, they'd have to find a way to make a new LCG appealing to a target audience that is different from the previous ones. LotR did that in two ways:

- The theme helped to get LotR fans interested in LCGs, i.e. people who wouldn't normally be interested in that kind of game.

- The cooperative nature and solo play option widened the scope to include players who refrained from buying into LCGs because of problems with finding opponents.

I would agree with this whole heartedly. I was a CCG player, but someone recommended the LOTR LCG as being fun. Being a little LOTR fan I bought the core set. I was particularly intrigued with the solo/co-op aspects as all my other games had been pvp. I liked LOTR and the LCG concept so much, I now have 3 core sets for LOTR and every card for Warhammer Invasion, and I also bought Space Hulk: Death Angel to try that one out solo/co-op.

So, with your two points above, FFG has gotten me into 3 of their games. 1 I will not have to update but 2 is fairly easy. To get a 3rd LCG going, I'd have to really enjoy either the IP or the gameplay.

Well it looks like Star Wars won out. This should grab a lot of new people to the format.

I'm a newb here with LOTR:LCG arriving yesterday. Up most of the night playing with it and learning, but I love it already.

I also like the idea of Firefly and maybe a Battletech. But please keep the solo capable alive.

Not all of the LCG's are solo capable nor will future ones necessarily be. Most of the current LCG's are non solo competitive, LotR and the soon to come Star Wars are the only two that are not and in many ways are two of the least popular. LotR is kept afloat by the fact that it is LotR and still has a large audience attraction. Star Wars we will have to wait and see how it plays to see how that one goes but it is Star Wars afterall so will grab a lot of attention due to that fact and the movies coming out again will help things.

A wonder if perhaps a comedic theme will be next as they've just covered sci-fi now. Monty Python could work and be something completely different in the LCG format.

Personally, I have no interest in the coop LCG games. For me, the challenge that makes the game interesting is to beat an opponent, someone who has their own deckbuilding and game playing skills that I can pit my talents against. Playing against a simulated opponent who doesn't adapt or have any imagination is going to get old fast. So, I'm hoping if another LCG comes out that it will be a regular two player competitive game.

As far as theme, I have no idea what it might be. For me, the main point is that the game has to be good, and theme is secondary. An attractive theme won't get me into a bad game, but a bad theme might be able to keep me from investigating a game enough to tell whether it's good or not. For me, A Game of Thrones falls into this category. I find the theme dull and uninteresting, and am disinclined to pick it up. And yes, I've read some of the novels. I think I made it through about 3-4 of them before giving up and I couldn't tell you much of anything that happened in them either.

Personally I don't really care if it's a well known license or just a general sci-fi, fantasy, etc. theme. Nothing wrong with making up a new theme as far as I'm concerned, you've got more control over it and fewer limits placed on you by the source material. Neither Magic nor Legend of the Five Rings were based on existing themes, and they're doing just fine.

It seems like the best fit for a competitive game is one where there are multiple sides at war or competing against each other, so I'd start by looking for themes like that. These could be countries, kingdoms, rival mobs, alien races, kung fu temples/styles, schools of magic, or whatever.

Some sort of weird WWII might be interesting, but I like the idea of rival gangsters or kung fu temples too. I'm up for anything really, so long as it's a competitive LCG and has a decent set of rules and an interesting story to it.

dboeren said:

Personally, I have no interest in the coop LCG games. For me, the challenge that makes the game interesting is to beat an opponent, someone who has their own deckbuilding and game playing skills that I can pit my talents against. Playing against a simulated opponent who doesn't adapt or have any imagination is going to get old fast. So, I'm hoping if another LCG comes out that it will be a regular two player competitive game.

I am with you, here.

I would support wholeheartedly a good 40k LCG ( I already own LotR and WH: I LCG's and plan to expand and keep up ) , I'm afraid however that with SW LCG coming up , a 40k LCG would not be anywhere on the horizon .

Son , I am disappoint .

Give us X-Files NOW and take your time making a good LCG of 40k!

Nothing more to say

I could get behind an x-files lcg. I think I still have some of the ccg cards around here somewhere.

Man, X-Files, Warhammer 40K… any of the licenses out there I think would be fantastic. I have faith in FFG, that regardless they'd put out a great game. Another cooperative game wouldn't be so bad, (X-Files would be perfect here), I do hope Star Wars isn't that 2nd co-op game, however.

And the newest one has been announced, Android: Netrunner. Oh hells to the yeah!

Yeah, go FFG, go Netrunner!!! This is simply DoublePlusGood! corazon.gif