What theme to come next from FFG in the LCG format?

By radioboyeric, in Living Card Games

I like to see a Dust LCG…

I first discovered the LCG model with LotR. As of now I only have the core set and the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle but really love it. One of the biggest selling points for me is that the game can be played solo. As much as I would like to have a PvP LCG, I would also like to see a game that supports both a solo option as well as a PvP option without losing quality.

After reading everyone's pposts I must say i am partial to an LCG based on Battlestar Galactica or Dune.

Battlestar Galatica

1. Players could play as human vs cylons in a PvP game or solo game
  2. Players could follow a sort of destiny/encounter deck from either the cylon, colonial, or military decks or a comibnation.

No one has suggested these two options (maybe for good reason) but I think and interesting PvP & solo LCG could be possible from either the Last Airbender or Hunger Games. Obviously they are both a little bit childish for FFG but could also expand the LCG model to a new audience.

The Last Airbender - The game could be stuctured in many different ways.

1. Players could play as characters from one of the 4 nations dueling against each other in a sort of bending arena (I guess similar to the Legend of Korra) - PvP, multiplayer
  2. Players could play a more thematic game as the Avatar team vs the Fire nation. One player would play the Fire Nation and the other(s) play decks built from the other nations or fire nation allies. PvP, multiplayer
  3. Players could play as the Avatar in his quest to become fully realized and follow a LotR style quest game. Multiplayer, co-op, solo
  4. Or in a final solo-only version players could simply play against the fire nation encounter deck.

I also think it would be interesting to see saga epansions explore the Avatar universe before the time of the TV show assuming licesing allowed it.

T he Hunger Games

1. Players could play against each other by playing as tributes from different districts with decks built around neautral cards with a set of district specific cards. This would obviously be difficult trying to accomodate for 12 districts. PvP, multiplayer
  2. Players could play in a districts vs capitol sort of game or even play as people outside of the arena. PvP, multiplayer, sol

I think these are all viable LCG options. It would be nice to see FFG acquire enough rights to extend artwork and story concepts beyong what has been seen on screen in a way similar to the LotR LCG.

- i know a lot of my comparisons are based on the LotR LCG but I have had the most exposure with that.

Dune for sure!

hmmm…..

Warhammer: Invasion's world setting is from a famous brand, which is not FFG's

Android: Netrunner is base on FFG's own world, but the rules was base from original Netrunner on 1996

LotR, aGoT, CoC and Star Wars are all from the famous brand

soooooo……

maybe I would like a game where the world and the rule is all made by FFG??

Probably something like Dust? or……. something comical, like a comical fantasy?

An in-house theme would be fine with me. If nothing else, it helps keep the licenced setting fanboys away :)

But, it also requires a lot more marketing work to try to get people into the game so it may or may not be worth it.

stemranpower said:

Dust does not fit your criteria then. The setting or world as you say is owned by Paolo Parente.

Another advantage of an in-house theme is that you're not as likely to be predisposed towards one faction.

Part of me says I'd like to see games based on themes that I personally like. These differ for each person, but for me this includes several miniatures games such as Warmachine/Hordes or Infinity. On the other hand, one problem there is that players of the minis game have strong faction loyalties. For instance, in Warmachine/Hordes I play Menoth, Skorne, and Farrow (which is basically half of the Minions faction) so clearly these would almost certainly be my favorites. Some factions I'm fairly ambivalent about, and other factions I actively hate like Cygnar and Retribution.

So if it was a single-faction game, at least two factions worth of cards wouldn't get used at all, and quite a few more might be used rarely. This isn't a good value for me as a player if they release the typical Core set + packs. It might work if they immediately do faction boxes for each faction, but even then at some point I'll probably be forced to buy what will for me be "dead cards". Some of these faction cards might be used if you can take out of faction stuff but I'd still feel resistant to a lot of them I suspect.

A theme without strongly-established loyalties seems better in this respect. How do Warhammer: Invasion players deal with this today? Or has GW's practice of rotating the "strong factions" trained people to be more willing to switch loyalties?

Personally I'd love to see a space game with warring races, or something themed around ancient China with kung fu clans, magic, etc… Yes, I know about L5R but I don't really like it and anyway it's collectable. Both themes also seem friendly to being able to field mixed faction decks representing temporary alliances between races/clans/whatever. On the space front, I was originally favoring Babylon 5 but then I realized that Star Control 2 would be an awesome theme to do - they've always had such a fantastic array of alien races with different ship powers. Problem there is TOO many factions I think.

Toqtamish said:

stemranpower said:

Dust does not fit your criteria then. The setting or world as you say is owned by Paolo Parente.

Oops… Sorry, didn't know about that

anyway I think an in-house theme LCG could be nice :)

I would love to see a Battlestar Galactica themed LCG. FFG did such an amazing job bringing the theme of the show to the boardgame that I would love to see them doing another game with that licence. Preferably a LCG.

But I guess with the release of Star Wars the Card Game, we won´t see a second space themed LCG anytime soon. Too bad.

If we do see another space LCG, I'd kind of prefer one without a licensed theme. Just give me a plain old alien races at war theme and make up your own. Then you're not limited by what your costume and effects budgets make you compromise on and we can see something that's not just a human with funny bumps on their forehead or different colored skin :)

That might be the case, but FFG did an amazing job of bringing that BSG theme and feeling to a broad game that I wished they would do the same for a card game.

And I don´t see FFG doing a non licensed product or a completely new created lcg. All their lcgs untill now were based on a ccg/tcg or had a strong license. Some of them had both, so I don´t see them going in a diffrent direction with this model as long as it is successfull and that seems to be the case.

dboeren said:

If we do see another space LCG, I'd kind of prefer one without a licensed theme. Just give me a plain old alien races at war theme and make up your own. Then you're not limited by what your costume and effects budgets make you compromise on and we can see something that's not just a human with funny bumps on their forehead or different colored skin :)

They have Twilight Imperium as an in-house property. Although I strongly doubt that an LCG without a major license is ever going to happen.

I think TI isn't a bad place to start for a strictly multiplayer LCG. If they design the game to be played with 4ish players, and completely base the game around that rather than to to work in a 2-player version, there's potential. Some decks could be very military themed, some could focus on politics and diplomacy, others on science to support a bit of everything. I think the hardest part would be limiting the number of races (i'm assuming this is what the factions will be based on); or maybe just having all or most cards be neutral, with having race cards like identity cards from netrunner be the basis of your deck. Maybe you really like playing the Barony of Letnev, but feeling like trying a more political type deck even though your strength would be militaristic.

I think there's potential in there, especially since FFG can make up source material as they go.

If there was a Twilight Imperium LCG then yeah, the factions would probably map to races. It looks like there are 10 races total? That's certainly on the high side and a potential issue. I'm also not sure how much drawing power the TI brand name actually has. I suspect the number of people out there who have played Twilight Imperium is smaller than the number of people who know any of the other themes. Netrunner gets by because of ~20 years of pent up fandom for Netrunner, not because of the Android setting. Call of Cthulhu has 8, I think that's the most factions of the LCG's so far, and one of those was added years later.

BSG seems better for draw since there's a recent TV series, but may have trouble finding enough factions? I never watched it so I'm unsure whether any natural lines exist to split Humans & Ceylons into more factions.

dboeren said:

If there was a Twilight Imperium LCG then yeah, the factions would probably map to races. It looks like there are 10 races total? That's certainly on the high side and a potential issue. I'm also not sure how much drawing power the TI brand name actually has. I suspect the number of people out there who have played Twilight Imperium is smaller than the number of people who know any of the other themes. Netrunner gets by because of ~20 years of pent up fandom for Netrunner, not because of the Android setting. Call of Cthulhu has 8, I think that's the most factions of the LCG's so far, and one of those was added years later.

BSG seems better for draw since there's a recent TV series, but may have trouble finding enough factions? I never watched it so I'm unsure whether any natural lines exist to split Humans & Ceylons into more factions.

Humans could have Military and Civilian. Cylons could be split between the "kill all humans" faction and the "peaceful coexistence" group. Not particularly strong, IMO. I dunno if having factions is particularly important to FFG's design process, though.

Personally, I think the Buffy/Angel license would be a great pick. There's still a strong fanbase almost a decade after they went off the air, and the comics are top sellers for Dark Horse.

I want to say that in TI there were originally 6 races, each quite different from one another; the pile of other race came through expansions and new editions. Sticking to the original 6, and splashing in the other races as neutral or faction specific cards would. Not be very difficult: the space-pirate-like Mentak can be neutral with their mercenary behavior, while the Embers of Muat were enslaved by the Jol'Naar for a long time, making it easy to see them in Jol'Naar faction specific cards. I won't disagree with you that big licenses would probably do better, as would games that weren't strictly 3+ players.

On BSG, I feel like the simplest option would be to make it another asymmetrical 2 player game. But, I feel like part of what made the show so successful, the intrigue and interpersonal drama, would get lost in the fighting. I can almost see like a reverse netrunner, where the cylons make "runs" on the human player and then trigger horrible things for them.

If Twilight Imperium originally had 6 races that solves that problem, I was looking at TI3 for my faction count. I think anywhere beween 5-8 is the good range.

Hadn't thought of Buffy, but I question whether it has enough fans in the right age brackets. The younger crowd brings a lot of disposable income.

For more recent TV shows, maybe Sopranos or Walking Dead? I hate to even suggest Walking Dead though as they already have a couple of fairly bad boardgames out for that show.

I played the Buffy CCG once, it wasn´t very good. Sopranos might make for an interessting setting, not sure about The Walking Dead though. Yeah zombies and the show/comic are pretty popular, but to be honest I´m not thrilled to play a zombie lcg or CCG/TCG for that matter.

On the BSG being asymmetriacl:

I thought of this before, but then relized that that wouldn´t work very good with the paranoya the tv-show and the broadgame made so good. I think either it has to be a strictly multiplayer where one unknown person is a cylon (would hate that, cause I would want to play both multiplayer and two player). Or it might be that each player plays human and each character that gets played has to add a face down card from a cylon deck, that can only be revealed to players through certain rare cards. In this deck there are thre kind of cards: cylon, sympathizer or human. Each player plays some kind of cards on the characters that give them points. Goal is it to make it to earth, without a cylon. The opponents could also interact with each other but only if a cylon is revealed to stop them from getting to earth.

sharoth said:

I played the Buffy CCG once, it wasn´t very good.

I fail to see what that has to do with the strength/popularity of the license. Wizards' Star Wars TCG was horrible and Decipher's Star Wars CCG was a beast to learn, but the Star Wars LCG is both simple and very, very good.

sharoth said:

I played the Buffy CCG once, it wasn´t very good. Sopranos might make for an interessting setting, not sure about The Walking Dead though. Yeah zombies and the show/comic are pretty popular, but to be honest I´m not thrilled to play a zombie lcg or CCG/TCG for that matter.

I don't know, I had the notion that an asymmetrical zombies game (zombies vs. survivors) might be able to be pretty good. Humans are having to protect themselves, forage for supplies, stuff like that. Zombies are mutating, trying to break in, destroying potential resource sites. It could potentially be done I think.

dboeren said:

I don't know, I had the notion that an asymmetrical zombies game (zombies vs. survivors) might be able to be pretty good. Humans are having to protect themselves, forage for supplies, stuff like that. Zombies are mutating, trying to break in, destroying potential resource sites. It could potentially be done I think.

I was thinking about the same (Walking Dead license, perhaps), though I'm wondering if the room for growth isn't too limited. This might be better as a board game, and there's at least out there that I know of that already does that (and there's probably more). And personally, I'm getting a bit tired of zombies.

Saturnine said:

dboeren said:

I was thinking about the same (Walking Dead license, perhaps), though I'm wondering if the room for growth isn't too limited. This might be better as a board game, and there's at least out there that I know of that already does that (and there's probably more). And personally, I'm getting a bit tired of zombies.

Cryptozoic has the Walking Dead license and have already made a board game based on it.

Zombies are universal enough that a specific license probably isn't necessary, and not having one means fewer restrictions.

Decide you want to have "special" zombie types like Left 4 Dead? Now you don't have to worry about someone saying that the Walking Dead (or whatever) universe doesn't have that kind of zombies in it and shutting down your idea.

Not sure if it has been suggested or mentioned (haven't read the entire thread), but any chance that a Marvel and/or DC LCG would be possible? Comic licenses might be too expensive, but I really do miss Vs. System and the new Marvel and DC Deckbuilding games have started to get me excited about a possibility of an LCG.

Majestix said:

Not sure if it has been suggested or mentioned (haven't read the entire thread), but any chance that a Marvel and/or DC LCG would be possible? Comic licenses might be too expensive, but I really do miss Vs. System and the new Marvel and DC Deckbuilding games have started to get me excited about a possibility of an LCG.

Both licenses are with other companies. Cryptozoic just released the DC deckbuilding game and Upper Deck has Marvel.