What theme to come next from FFG in the LCG format?

By radioboyeric, in Living Card Games

With the ever growing recent popularity with Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, I'd love to see Konami and Fantasy Flight Games to merger up a partnership to bring in the Metal Gear franchise to a living card game. And possibly future enterprises such as board and/or miniature games within the Metal Gear Universe.

There's definitely more than enough material to work with from over the years, and several variants of opponents, alliances and team developments for factions to work as a two (or more) player competitive game. Set-up in locations, from Shadow Moses, the USS Discovery, Afghanistan - Northern Kabul and so forth could give a form of domination over territories type play-style. Tons of different characters could be included in chapters/expansions of the game, and could develop as future expansions are released. An example could be Revolver Ocelot of Metal Gear Solid 3, is a very different character in say Metal Gear Solid 4 and the same could be said about Kaz from Peace Walker to Metal Gear Solid V. Plus lots of options can be used with the tons of special, or "hidden" characters such as Hideo Kojima himself, or the generic soldiers with names like Morpho, Swan, Jaguar, etc.

Include the many vehicles found throughout the series, from standard military jeeps, trucks, tanks and aircraft...to more exotic weapon platforms like the Metal Gears themselves. This can give an heavy combat side of the game, though side missions of espionage and more stealthy operations could be just as important. Stealing development information, extracting VIPs, and locking down desired assets that will help future maneuvers against your opponent. Even assassination missions against important characters, that could change the story as it progresses. You could even recreate crazy situations like MGS3's Time Paradox by killing a Main Character, which would alter the state of the future. But, if you know Metal Gear lore well enough, you'll know it's near impossible to actually kill permanently anyone with more than six lines of dialog for any great lengths of time.

So yeah...I think it'd work out pretty good.

Cheers!

With the ever growing recent popularity with Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, I'd love to see Konami and Fantasy Flight Games to merger up a partnership to bring in the Metal Gear franchise to a living card game. And possibly future enterprises such as board and/or miniature games within the Metal Gear Universe.

There's definitely more than enough material to work with from over the years, and several variants of opponents, alliances and team developments for factions to work as a two (or more) player competitive game. Set-up in locations, from Shadow Moses, the USS Discovery, Afghanistan - Northern Kabul and so forth could give a form of domination over territories type play-style. Tons of different characters could be included in chapters/expansions of the game, and could develop as future expansions are released. An example could be Revolver Ocelot of Metal Gear Solid 3, is a very different character in say Metal Gear Solid 4 and the same could be said about Kaz from Peace Walker to Metal Gear Solid V. Plus lots of options can be used with the tons of special, or "hidden" characters such as Hideo Kojima himself, or the generic soldiers with names like Morpho, Swan, Jaguar, etc.

Include the many vehicles found throughout the series, from standard military jeeps, trucks, tanks and aircraft...to more exotic weapon platforms like the Metal Gears themselves. This can give an heavy combat side of the game, though side missions of espionage and more stealthy operations could be just as important. Stealing development information, extracting VIPs, and locking down desired assets that will help future maneuvers against your opponent. Even assassination missions against important characters, that could change the story as it progresses. You could even recreate crazy situations like MGS3's Time Paradox by killing a Main Character, which would alter the state of the future. But, if you know Metal Gear lore well enough, you'll know it's near impossible to actually kill permanently anyone with more than six lines of dialog for any great lengths of time.

So yeah...I think it'd work out pretty good.

Cheers!

If you like Metal Gear, there's also a Metal Gear Solid RISK . Capturing Outer Haven and using it to invade countries is pretty sweet!

So, if I had to bet on something, I think they could close the CoC line next (and possibly going with a second asymmetric edition, or a coop version of the game).

Let's be synthetic.

I would kill for a Call of Cthulhu cooperative living card game. :)

Banania is so right!

So, if I had to bet on something, I think they could close the CoC line next (and possibly going with a second asymmetric edition, or a coop version of the game).

Let's be synthetic.

I would kill for a Call of Cthulhu cooperative living card game. :)

I would sacrifice entire villages for a co-op Call of Cthulhu LCG. Seriously, I was devastated when I they ended up making the Star Wars LCG an adversarial rather than co-op. It could have been so perfect.

I need another co-op LCG for two reasons:

1. I can afford to collect another LCG (besides LotR) and want to, but I have nothing to do with a non-coop one; I'll have no partners for it, while my brother (who shares my love for LotR LCG) will join me for any co-op LCG. If we get another co-op LCG, I'll collect every product of the line, just like with LotR.

2. I really like it better. I collected and played MtG together with friends for MANY years, but I find co-op collection, deck building and playing is so much more fun and relaxing and laid back between friends, while the ones you compete in tend to bum people up once in a while; it's stings a bit more when your deck strategy doesn't work against your friend rather than with him, or when you feel like your sphere/faction/color gets less love in a certain pack or cycle than his.

I want to assure you, dear FFG people making these decisions (if you ever see this, oh glorious higher powers) - you're gonna have a huge chunk of the LotR LCG player base pick up any co-op LCG the moment you release it, and probably staying with it forever (as long as you don't mess it up, but make it an amazing game like LotR LCG).

As a huge collector of every novel and comic book pre-Disney era, I think the Star Wars LCG becoming adversarial saved my social life.

Now, back to Call of Cthulhu LCG: let's find a village.

Lots of people have put forward their favorite properties for LCG development, but it has to be more than that. It has to be a property that's popular enough to draw in interest from outside, and it has to be something that's sufficiently differentiated from their existing lines.

MechWarrior would be great, but we already have a sci fi LCG set in a crapsack-galaxy that's torn by All War All The Time.

Wheel of Time would conflict with two existing High Fantasy LCGs.

Anime-based properties are inherently niche audiences, and several that have already been mentioned are effectively dead licenses. Video games are also not a broad base for a license. Pokémon is the exception that tests the rule: what other anime/video game property has the market penetration that Pokémon has?

So, if you're asking whether something is going to have legs for an LCG, you really have to look at its market presence. Game of Thrones and Star Wars are multimillion dollar properties that are alive and well producing mainstream content. Warhammer 40K is a universe producing ongoing content and updates, clearly a property with longevity. Lord of the Rings is effectively immortal in the SF/Fantasy pantheon. Call of Cthulu is also an undying classic, but horror has a smaller fan base and I personally don't expect CoC to last too many more years. Netrunner? I have no idea what the secret is to its success but I'm not about to complain.

Ok, this wouldnt have scope for a full LCG but as an adventure card game (with occassional expansions) : Discworld...

I do hope not Julia, ive just spent a fortune buying CoC :)

What???!!! You bought the entire Lord of the Rings LCG catalogue in about 3 months or so, and now you're doing the same with CoC? I envy your infinite resources! :P

I do hope not Julia, ive just spent a fortune buying CoC :)

What???!!! You bought the entire Lord of the Rings LCG catalogue in about 3 months or so, and now you're doing the same with CoC? I envy your infinite resources! :P

Haha. To be fair, most of the lotr made up my 40th birthday present, and while i did get a good second-hand deal on CoC I will still be taking some considerable time paying it off. Its hard resisting the CoC deluxe I am missing as a little inside voice tells me it will be out of print when I clear my debt.

The CoC was one single bulk purchase, which also justifies a bit in my head.

Now stop picking on me :) this new card game hobby is still way cheaper than a games workshop army.

Now stop picking on me :) this new card game hobby is still way cheaper than a games workshop army.

LOL. Very true, Alex. Out of curiosity, what's your take on the coming Game of Thrones 2nd edition LCG? Will you be in or out of the new madness? As for me, I'm afraid I'm so totally in, darn it :D

The Alex "hero" card definitely has Steward of Gondor and Resourceful x3 attached to it... ;)

LOL. Very true, Alex. Out of curiosity, what's your take on the coming Game of Thrones 2nd edition LCG? Will you be in or out of the new madness? As for me, I'm afraid I'm so totally in, darn it :D

Thing is, most of my play is solo and it doesnt look like it will be. Also, I enjoy the series but havent yet read the books.

Whereas: LOTR is solo, so awesome.

CoC is so different to others and has a solo unofficial variant.

Warhammer Invasion is simply Warhammer so I had to have it as a fan (was my first LCG)

So no plans for GoT2nd :) have fun with it though!!

Edit: If I did get another LCG and it was a 1vs1 game it would likely be 40k (as a warhammer fan) or star wars (because it does look pretty good theme wise plus I am a fan)

Edited by alexbobspoons

Edit: If I did get another LCG and it was a 1vs1 game it would likely be 40k (as a warhammer fan) or star wars (because it does look pretty good theme wise plus I am a fan)

There's an unofficial solo variant for that one, too. Not sure how good it is.

I see your point Alex, solo is certainly a big plus also for me. As for the other two... I like Star Wars over Conquest. The asymmetric playing experience SW offers is incredibly good, imho, while Conquest is fun,but it doesn't click on me.

How is the CoC solo variant? is it good? Do you play it a lot? Do you play more solo, or more competitive?

Do you think the solo variant is good enough to buy the game for?

How is the CoC solo variant? is it good? Do you play it a lot? Do you play more solo, or more competitive?

Do you think the solo variant is good enough to buy the game for?

To be honest I havent tried the solo variant yet. I bought a very large collection second hand and so have spent a LOT of time going through it all to check all the cards and then catalogue them all in binders. Then has been a few rules read throughs, then I plan to watch some on youtube and then try the solo variant. I want to be fully conversant with the rules before trying the solo-adaption.

I read the PDF rules and inside my head liked the rules enough for 2-player as well as them theme and artwork to buy it. Boardgamegeek has some threads on the solo variants so you might get more info there. Also, the forums at cardgamedb for Call of Cthulhu are more active than here so it may be worth asking there.

Sorry I cannot help more.

That's ok. Thank you for answering!

Edited by narubianHorror293

There's an unofficial solo variant for that one, too. Not sure how good it is.

Just out of curiosity, is the solo variant you mention Star Wars or 40k ?

Anyone tried it and have good or bad reports??

**** you!! :) I am now getting so so so tempted by Star Wars LCG due to the solo variant. I looked at it originally due to loving the theme (remember Julia?) and was swayed over to my truly loved LOTR (Yes Julia, your fault :) ) and now its really calling to me due to solo and yet I still havent played my new CoC solo yet or paid off the debt of buying CoC.

Argh SW-LCG is really tempting :)

Alex,

yep, I remember the backstory. I'm so happy to see your enthusiasm growing with your collection (you know, sometimes in abundance the interest gets lost somehow). Star Wars is too an awesome universe not to hear the call. And it's an expanding one, each game FFG pulls out of their magic hat is absolutely stunning (love Armada, and love Imperial Assault)

Hi Julia yes abundance can bust things.

I think if I hadnt decided to play progression and limit my card intake, I could have overdone abundance and fizzled out, but this way its always interesting to see what new cards will be coming when I unpack the next scenario-pack.

Star Wars does look excellent, but for me I really need to know how the solo variant stacks up before throwing money at it.

LotR and CoC are ongoing money sinks, so I need to be sure about a third one no matter how great it looks and the pull is :)

I'm gonna guess Legend of the Five Rings. :D

Yep. And I'm so gonna be into it...