PBP Alt Univ: Clone Wars: Misc

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

33 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Clone minion stats from page 138 of RotS.

Br3, Ag3, int2, cun2, wil3, pre1

Soak 5, wt 5, def 0/0

Group skills athletics, brawl, discipline, ranged heavy, vigilance

Abilities: clone inhibitor chip (so long as the proper chain of command is observed, upgrade the ability of leadership checks targeting a clone trooper once.)

Equipment

DC 15 blaster rifle (ranged heavy, damage 10, critical 3, range long, pierce 1, stun setting

2 frag grenades (ranged light, damage 8, critical 4, range short, blast 6, limited ammo 1),

phase 1 clone trooper armor (+2 soak),

utility belt

Extra reload 

Should I just input that into OggDude's program as Minions under the Companions tab?

(I've never had minions before, so I haven't tried using that tab yet.)

13 minutes ago, Bellona said:

Should I just input that into OggDude's program as Minions under the Companions tab?

(I've never had minions before, so I haven't tried using that tab yet.)

I haven't done that yet either

@AbsatSolo @Demon4x4 what are you thinking of for your characters?

Just tried inputting the minions as companions. Ran into a few issues.

Currently the only Phase 1 armour in the database is for ARC Troopers. Does anyone have the regular Phase 1 stats (assuming that they're different from the ARC armour)?

The DC 15 also isn't in the database, so I put it in the character sheet as a custom weapon (via the Companion tab in the Character Generator program, not the Data Editor).

And I'm not sure if the minions are displaying their stats correctly as a minion group (as opposed to individual minions). Maybe I'm just not used to seeing NPC stat blocks in the game?

My squad's names: Jinx (CT-1313), Binary (CT-1010), Rain (CT-1000), Storm (CT-1001), Cloud (CT-1002), and Niner (CT-9999).

Edited by Bellona
Clarity and spelling, corrected some of my clone squad's serial numbers.
23 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

@AbsatSolo @Demon4x4 what are you thinking of for your characters?

Apologies for the delay... pretty much disaster week (TM) at work, but I will get you a write up this weekend.

Leaning toward something like:
Iktochi Armorer/Niman Disciple/Jedi Knight, with the Empathy/Vengeance morality track. The empathy in part due to the limited precognitive abilities of the Iktochi, and not wanting to put the Clones he is in charge of in harm's way as a result (vengeance trigger if he is unable to do so). Is typically used to/trained for non-combat seeking type missions (possibly like old Jedi Shadow type seeking of artifacts type of thing), but having been called in to an 'all hands on deck situation' at Geonosis. He lost a group of Clones early on, and has since had his personal focus shift toward being able to protect them/others. Is very nervous about being thrust into this mass combat situation at Geonosis.
But, I really need to pore over your intro text again, and whatnot.

I'll try sort my plot stuff for Sunday

my daughter Abigail Faith Dalbey was born last night, 8 pounds 10 ounces. Mother and baby are doing well.

For the sake of curiosity (and I just enjoy building characters) about what I could do with the build parameters (before anyone gets scared I am NOT playing this character in this game, I know the pitfalls of a GMPC, I might play him in a different Campaign though) to make a traditional clone wars jedi to see how over powered I could make it if I tried (i.e. how abusable were the build parameters, and my conclusion was it was NOT over the top).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/l9kb5zxke78kyri/KelitahLaterius900EarnedXp30StartingXpSpentOnFR2.pdf

I made 16 attempts (costing 900 credits because failed 1 roll and reforged the hilt every other time, here's the final roll,

lightsaber crafting 16 : 1eP+3eA+1eD+8eB 7 successes, 8 advantage, 1 Triumph
p-tr.png a-a-a.png a-s.png a-s-a.png d-th.png b--.png b-a.png b-s-a.png b-s.png b--.png b-s-a.png b-a-a.png b-s-a.png

and you can back track to see the history, note I've been using the free advantage from the jedi multitool (which was why I corrected the second attempt with an extra boost die from the free advantage on the first roll)) to craft the saber till I got what I was hoping for, spent 900 crafting (because reforged hilt 14 times, difficulty reduced to easy using a triumph from the I think second of 16 rolls). used the free ilum crystal and paid for mods.

craft protective talisman attempt 1 : 3eP+2eA+1eD 4 successes, 3 advantage, 1 Triumph
p-tr.png p-s-a.png p-s.png a-s.png a-a-a.png d--.png

craft protective talisman attempt 1 Force Dice : 4eF 4 Light Side, 2 Dark Side
f-ds.png f-ls-ls.png f-ds.png f-ls-ls.png

made two of them and difficulty has been reduced to simple.

3 of the 4 ranged defense are mods to the plasma shield and 1 melee defense is the baseline for the plasma shield. the point was an uber defensive build to protect the quad (defense would be 2 red, 4 black, and by spending a strain as an incidental add a purple). if he needs to pilot a star fighter or anything else enhance and 4 force dice would boost agility to 6. the force leap side makes him able to maneuver across a battlefield, impossible fall is a security blanket and got improved reflect for cheap from knight and can get a cheap throw lightsaber from sentry so he can move into the signature ability more cheaply, and it's got a reasonable amount of parry and reflect to help with the signature ability. He can always roll vigilance for initiative and gets to add force dice to it too (good initiative slot) , and influence would help with leadership checks (jedi general). I was considering adding gadgeteer to the mix but didn't have the xp and really wouldn't get much out of it because of the high defense.

It's a reasonably optimized build but is by no means a "finished" build and there's a lot of growth potential with the addition of xp.

Edited by EliasWindrider
4 hours ago, Demon4x4 said:

Apologies for the delay... pretty much disaster week (TM) at work, but I will get you a write up this weekend.

Iktochi Armorer/Niman Disciple/Jedi Knight, with the Empathy/Vengeance morality track. The empathy in part due to the limited precognitive abilities of the Iktochi, and not wanting to put the Clones he is in charge of in harm's way as a result (vengeance trigger if he is unable to do so). Is typically used to/trained for non-combat seeking type missions (possibly like old Jedi Shadow type seeking of artifacts type of thing), but having been called in to an 'all hands on deck situation' at Geonosis. He lost a group of Clones early on, and has since had his personal focus shift toward being able to protect them/others. Is very nervous about being thrust into this mass combat situation at Geonosis.

genosis is the start of the clone wars (wouldn't have interacted with clones before it), maybe you mean that's where he lost a group of clones and he feeling that after we fast forward to christophsis. The party ship will USUALLY be an arquittens (the RotS version).

Congrats. 🍻

Congratulations on the addition, and very glad to hear that your wife is doing well too! :)

15 hours ago, Demon4x4 said:

If you need to ask for clarifications I'm happy to answer questions

Edited by EliasWindrider
18 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

What do you WANT to happen.

I don't know. I'd like to have the events mould the character so it would be nice to be surprised.

And Congrats on the child!

Edited by MrTInce
On 7/12/2019 at 12:37 AM, Bellona said:

That is indeed interesting to hear about the Jedi utility belt! I'm happy to hear that, as I felt that my encumbrance was getting rather high. As it stands, I only checked the equip box for the Physician's Kit so that the correct modifiers would appear for the Medicine skill (+1 boost, and +1 advantage on successful Medicine check). The kit is usually in the backpack, leaving Mireska's hands free until she needs to use it.

As for the healing trance, you can read some of my thoughts/complaints here on this thread:

Basically, I support the "lying still, not doing anything else" version of the Jedi healing trance trope instead of the FFG RAW "running around and having multiple combat encounters yet still healing yourself" version. (Saga Edition also allowed 4 hours of trance to give the equivalent rest of a full night's sleep, and stated that the trance allowed the Force-user to go without food or water for ten times the normal period. In Legends material this ability allowed Luke to travel long periods and great distances in his starfighter despite not having lots of consumables on board.) Otherwise I'll just avoid those talents on the Healer tree (3 plus an Improved talent which gives a chance to heal a Critcal Injury). The Mystic's Magus tree - not one of my spec plans - also has two HT talents.

Ok I've read the rules.

If no one else has an objection (any objections must be made by monday, today is Saturday) I am willing to have a house rule that makes it take effect every 4 continuous hours of doing nothing but the trance (and observing or initiative checks, you can have the sense defense upgrade up (if done before the trance) and ant talents/powers that hide you from being detected BY THE FORCE, your still observable to the naked eye) and use 1/10 the air/water/food and provide the equivalent of a full night's sleep. But you can only commit 1 force die to it (not sure if that's a change) and while you can still make perception/vigilance/cool checks (observing and initiative) during the period the difficulty is upgraded once and you take 2 set back dice on those checks.

53 minutes ago, MrTInce said:

I don't know. I'd like to have the events mould the character so it would be nice to be surprised.

And Congrats on the child!

Ok, but could you give me some guidance on how much conflict you want me to dole out for anguish/inner turmoil over loosing clones vs. the mission objectives.

My general rule on conflict is yes for spending darkside force pips. If the other guy started a fight with a weapon, or even with fisticuffs if you have 7 or fewer strain or wonds left then ending the fight lethally wont incur conflict if you PROVOKE a fight that escalates and ends lethally you'll get one or 2 conflict. Straight up murder is more severe. Killing a dangerous opponent who surrender because you were about to kill them/they were losing a fight might be worth a point or two) To cover battles and loosing clones (yours or others) I was thinking something like 1 conflict every time you role morality (once a month or once every 2 months) kind of like a conflict talent. Stealing/using the force to cheat at games of chance for profit is worth a point of conflict, commandeering a vehicle to escape death/capture is not... cheating at games of chance to save or free someone is not. If you declare an action that I think is worth conflict I'll tell you and you'll have an opportunity to change what you're doing to avoid the conflict. But in general I'm intending to be pretty lenient on conflict unless a player requests otherwise.

Thanks for all the congratulations.

8 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

Ok, but could you give me some guidance on how much conflict you want me to dole out for anguish/inner turmoil over loosing clones vs. the mission objectives.

I would say start low but as I fight with them then increase it.

20 minutes ago, MrTInce said:

I would say start low but as I fight with them then increase it.

Ok

On 7/13/2019 at 5:32 AM, EliasWindrider said:

For the sake of curiosity (and I just enjoy building characters) about what I could do with the build parameters (before anyone gets scared I am NOT playing this character in this game, I know the pitfalls of a GMPC, I might play him in a different Campaign though) to make a traditional clone wars jedi to see how over powered I could make it if I tried (i.e. how abusable were the build parameters, and my conclusion was it was NOT over the top).

http://www.mediafire.com/file/l9kb5zxke78kyri/KelitahLaterius900EarnedXp30StartingXpSpentOnFR2.pdf

I made 16 attempts (costing 900 credits because failed 1 roll and reforged the hilt every other time, here's the final roll,

lightsaber crafting 16 : 1eP+3eA+1eD+8eB 7 successes, 8 advantage, 1 Triumph
p-tr.png a-a-a.png a-s.png a-s-a.png d-th.png b--.png b-a.png b-s-a.png b-s.png b--.png b-s-a.png b-a-a.png b-s-a.png

and you can back track to see the history, note I've been using the free advantage from the jedi multitool (which was why I corrected the second attempt with an extra boost die from the free advantage on the first roll)) to craft the saber till I got what I was hoping for, spent 900 crafting (because reforged hilt 14 times, difficulty reduced to easy using a triumph from the I think second of 16 rolls). used the free ilum crystal and paid for mods.

craft protective talisman attempt 1 : 3eP+2eA+1eD 4 successes, 3 advantage, 1 Triumph
p-tr.png p-s-a.png p-s.png a-s.png a-a-a.png d--.png

craft protective talisman attempt 1 Force Dice : 4eF 4 Light Side, 2 Dark Side
f-ds.png f-ls-ls.png f-ds.png f-ls-ls.png

made two of them and difficulty has been reduced to simple.

3 of the 4 ranged defense are mods to the plasma shield and 1 melee defense is the baseline for the plasma shield. the point was an uber defensive build to protect the quad (defense would be 2 red, 4 black, and by spending a strain as an incidental add a purple). if he needs to pilot a star fighter or anything else enhance and 4 force dice would boost agility to 6. the force leap side makes him able to maneuver across a battlefield, impossible fall is a security blanket and got improved reflect for cheap from knight and can get a cheap throw lightsaber from sentry so he can move into the signature ability more cheaply, and it's got a reasonable amount of parry and reflect to help with the signature ability. He can always roll vigilance for initiative and gets to add force dice to it too (good initiative slot) , and influence would help with leadership checks (jedi general). I was considering adding gadgeteer to the mix but didn't have the xp and really wouldn't get much out of it because of the high defense.

It's a reasonably optimized build but is by no means a "finished" build and there's a lot of growth potential with the addition of xp.

Is that a gentle hint that we should consider more defensive builds? :o :)

I see that there is also some useful Jedi equipement in the two CW sourcebooks, but unfortunately I won't get my hands on them until the beginning of August. :(

Talisman crafting ... I didn't even consider that.

And how does one get so many boost dice on a lightsabre crafting check? (I'm really feeling my noob status here!)

*goes ba ck to staring at the character sheet for a little longer*

I'll start working on the side-story stuff a bit more, but I'll need to brush up first on what Wookiepedia has to say about the clones. I know that I'm missing a lot of Kaminoan names, for one thing. (Also, not having seen TCW much, I don't know how they handled the "almost got there, but not quite" aspect of the investigation other than that one poor clone who got murdered on Coruscant.)

Edited by Bellona
2 hours ago, Bellona said:

Is that a gentle hint that we should consider more defensive builds? :o :)

I see that there is also some useful Jedi equipement in the two CW sourcebooks, but unfortunately I won't get my hands on them until the beginning of August. :(

Talisman crafting ... I didn't even consider that.

And how does one get so many boost dice on a lightsabre crafting check? (I'm really feeling my noob status here!)

*goes ba ck to staring at the character sheet for a little longer*

I'll start working on the side-story stuff a bit more, but I'll need to brush up first on what Wookiepedia has to say about the clones. I know that I'm missing a lot of Kaminoan names, for one thing. (Also, not having seen TCW much, I don't know how they handled the "almost got there, but not quite" aspect of the investigation other than that one poor clone who got murdered on Coruscant.)

I want you to play characters that you are happy with and npc clones are there to use as meat shields if you so choose, but if you squad up having high defenses can help protect your squad. There is jedi commander armor in rots (2 soak, 1 defense, 5 enc, 3 hp, 5000 credits). In cotr there is jedi reconnaissance armor... I can post the stats later. The portable plasma shield attachment takes 2 hp costs I think 2500 credits Grant's defensive 1, has 5 mods 3 for deflection, 2 for defensive. The christophsis crystal is kind of interesting, base 7 damage with 3 damage upgrades, it has knockdown instead of vicious upgrades, and can increase breach from 1 to 2 with an upgrade but it's fairly similar to an ilum crystal. The other crystals aren't so impressive but there might be 1 in rots that is interesting to a healer.

To get the boosts on crafting checks, This is mmo style crafting, there's one called practice makes perfect that for 1 advantage can buy a boost for the next check. Just keep rolling them over until you get what you want... it helps that the jedi multitool Grant's a free advantage to the check. I was shooting for 6+ advantage and a triumph. By the time the second triumph rolled around I had 8 advantage plus the free one from the multitool. If you want a particular set of features I've written a program that generates a percentile table you can roll against to see how long it takes you to craft something, and what you end up with (likely to surpass requirements slightly). I didn't use it myself because another GM wouldn't likely accept it and if I play this character it will be in someone else's game.

Btw I've revised the character to something I'd more like to play (dropped sentry for padawan survivor universal) switched skills around went for fined tuned emitter instead of personalized inlay on the lightsaber, got an extra upgrade to forsee, dropped 1 grit and 1 defensive training, picked up force assault. Has 2 moralities... confidence/arrogance and cleverness/sophism that tie together with a backstory of him being a wunderkind (a year younger than anakin) padawan of ki adi mundi that got knighted at 15 (about 3 years before genosis, but by the time genosis roles around he's 19 rather than 18 because of partial years) because he prevented a war where millions would have died by letting ki adi Mundi get shot which let him step up to make a very unconventional proposal which all 3 sides thought was reasonably fair (which many thought was impossible and ki adi Mundi would have rejected as infeasible, which demonstrated his deep emotional attachment to ki adi Mundi wouldn't stop him from acting in the interest of the greater good). So he's this super young jedi knight with more experience than his age would suggests and he gets mistaken for a padawan by non-jedi and has slightly scraggly facial hair to try to make himself look older so he doesn't get treated as a kid as much. Point is choose a character that you want to play rather than the one with the most game mechanically advantageous stats.

Edited by EliasWindrider

I don't consider the finer character details (how far in the specialization and Force power trees, etc.) to be set in stone yet, so I'm open to advice/hints. The Healer/Doctor part is solid though, as it's part of the character concept.

Since there's a time gap between the opening scene on Geonosis and the real start of the campaign, I think that it would not be unreasonable for a Jedi character to brush up on Reflect and other anti-energy weapon defences. Therefore I'm considering juggling some points around and grabbing the Jedi Knight's Circle of Shelter and Guardian of the Republic talents. I just have to sort out how it functions with both the squad rules and the minion group rules (which I understand do not function simultaneously, although one can divide one's clones into a squad and a separate minion group).

Crafting rules for both lightsabres and talismans ... I'll look into them a bit more - tomorrow.

Gear that you may be interested in

Heavy robes, 0 soak, 1 defense, 150 credits, 1 enc, 0 hp, rarity 2.

Jedi reconnaissance armor 1 soak, 1 defense, 4000 credits, 2 enc, 2 hp, rarity 8, they add a boost to stealth checks (pretty good actually).

Bio-support dispenser (armor mod) 1 hp, 4000 credits. Base, if you take any wounds during an encounter it heals 1 wound when you heal strain at the end of the encounter. Also the first time in an encounter that your wounds exceed half your threshold it automatically applies a stimpack. Mods 1 heal 1 additional wound at the end of the encounter. That's really quite useful and I overlooked it before.

Physiological enhancement system (armor mod), 2 hp, 3000 (clones)/10,000 (others) credits. Base whenever you involuntarily suffer strain reduction it by 1 to a minimum of 1. The wearer adds boost to all athletics, coordination, resilience checks. Mods: 1 skill athletics mod, 1 skill coordination mod, 1 skill resilience mod.

There's a 0 hp mod to lightsabers to turn them into a grenade (20 damage, breach 1, vicious 4, everything within short range, the lightsaber is destroyed but crystals survive).

Christophsis crystal 2 hp, 11,000 credits. Base: 7 damage, crit 3, breach 1, sund. Mods: 1 breach +1, 1 knockdown, 3 damage +1, 2 decrease critical rating by 1 (to min of 1)

Thontiin crystal, 2 hp, 9000 credits. Bade 6 damage, crit 2, breach 1, sunder, 1 per encounter wielder may ignore the effect of 1 EASY critical injury (you still have the injury). Mods: 3 damage+1, 1 decrease critical rating by 1 (to a min of 1)

Zophis crystal (from separatists controlled planet zoph, powerful with serious drawbacks, a soresu defender might like it though) 2 hp, 11000 credits. Base: 8 damage, crit 2, breach 2, vicious 1, and when you Sunder something it's damaged one extra step. But 3 threat or 1 despair the weapon shuts down until the end of the wielders next turn. Mod options: 2 damage +1 mods. Comment putting 2 of these in a cyclic crystal array would eliminate the problem for most users.

@vandarl pm'd me to ask to be put on the waiting list and since he was extra polite about it I'm willing to stretch it to 7 players. @AbsatSolo seems to be AWOL (it's a military themed campaign so I thought the joke fits) anyway. So

@vandarl why don't you throw out some character ideas (it's anyone with a reason to be hanging out with jedi in a war zone. But I'd prefer to avoid droids and gungans. Btw there almost certainly won't be gunman reinforreinfts at the battle of mon cal unless the PCs liberate naboo before then)

@EliasWindrider , unfortunately I may be getting some additional responsibilities at work. so I do not think I will currently be able to join the game. Sorry for the inconvenience here, and I hope it all goes well!

28 minutes ago, Rabobankrider said:

@EliasWindrider , unfortunately I may be getting some additional responsibilities at work. so I do not think I will currently be able to join the game. Sorry for the inconvenience here, and I hope it all goes well!

No worries.You are welcome back at a later time if your schedule opens up.

For the rest of you that means the non jedi force user druid natulon character is out of the game.

Edited by EliasWindrider
30 minutes ago, EliasWindrider said:

@vandarl pm'd me to ask to be put on the waiting list and since he was extra polite about it I'm willing to stretch it to 7 players. @AbsatSolo seems to be AWOL (it's a military themed campaign so I thought the joke fits) anyway. So

@vandarl why don't you throw out some character ideas (it's anyone with a reason to be hanging out with jedi in a war zone. But I'd prefer to avoid droids and gungans. Btw there almost certainly won't be gunman reinforreinfts at the battle of mon cal unless the PCs liberate naboo before then)

I checked wookieepedia and the separatists develop the "blue shadow virus" on naboo prior to the battle of mon cal... so the strike team sent into stop it could liberate naboo at the same time and thereby gungan reinforcements could be available at the battle of mon cal, but you'll risk a senator Jar jar binks getting emergency powers for palpatine, but "terrorist leader turned senator" padme amidala could be up for grabs as an npc love interest for a Male jedi character. (Metagame) decisions/decisions