PBP Alt Univ: Clone Wars: Misc

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

59 minutes ago, Bellona said:

Sounds good to me.

Switching back and forth during a round didn't even enter my thoughts. It was more a question of if Mireska could to hold something else in the other hand (rope, McGuffin, baby, whatever) while fighting/defending.

I think RAW is you can wield a double bladed lightsaber with both ends ignited in one hand but I think it's kind of silly.

6 hours ago, Bellona said:

The Jedi multi-tool (a.k.a. lightsabre maintenance kit) is the best thing for the job, and comes as a free component with the Jedi utility belt. (Both found in Keeping the Peace, pp. 53 and 52 respectively. (Assuming that your question is with regard to a lightsabre and its attachments and mods.)

Mine was aimed at modding armor and blaster attachments moreso.

Edited by AnomalousAuthor
8 hours ago, AnomalousAuthor said:

Mine was aimed at modding armor and blaster attachments moreso.

So you're asking for something like a journey man's toolkit http://swrpg.viluppo.net/equipment/gear/1667/ for clones to use for free back at the barracks? (Sot is stay on target). The toolkit is customized to the user and counts as the right tools for the job.

It's only a few hundred credits you'd be saving so sure.

11 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

My condolences.

I thought this deserved it's own post so it didn't get diluted by game related stuff

Thank you for your kind words.

I think RAW is you can wield a double bladed lightsaber with both ends ignited in one hand but I think it's kind of silly.

Just to clarify, I have absolutely no intention of trying to wield a double-bladed lightsabre in just one hand while both blades are ignited.

12 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

You nailed it, but if your character has 4+ ranks of medicine or the situation specific skill and flip a destiny point (from white to black) you'll automatically succeed at the diagnosis (provided it's EVER been medically documented) sometimes it may be a correct hunch on the part of your character/the most likely of several possible interpretations because convergence of multiple medical details/reasons rather than certainty, but you the player will get the truth from me the GM and it'll be up to you to roleplaying it as a hunch your character believes but isn't sure about. Or you can roll and take your chances but... if you're constantly using all the destiny points in the pool the other players may get a little peeved by me flipping them back to white with side effects they feel.

Good to know. I haven't grabbed that particular Force power upgrade yet, but wanted to know how it would work. (I probably won't purchase it right away.)

2 minutes ago, Bellona said:

Good to know. I haven't grabbed that particular Force power upgrade yet, but wanted to know how it would work. (I probably won't purchase it right away.)

I want this to be a game you (where you is all the players) all enjoy, so if what you ask for is reasonable doesn't involve a massive amount of extra work on my part and isn't likely to spoil the game for the other players, I'm probably going to say yes to something close to if not exactly what you're asking for.

@Bellona @AnomalousAuthor @Demon4x4 @MrTInce @vandarl

How are people feeling about the 900 earned xp? Is it enough to get you a character that feels like a reasonably fleshed out but not story-completed HERO of the story? I want you to have room to grow as the story progresses. Does your jedi feel like knights rather than padawan OR does your clone feel like a seasoned commander rather than a rank and file "shiny"? Keep track of how your character feels/plays during the battle of Genosis, and if the consensus is you need a little more xp going into christophsis, I can give you a mission xp bump in addition to the weekly 5 xp (if you make one IC post each week you'll get the 5 xp which you can spend immediately if you want to). By the way I'm going to let you tweek your builds (xp not equipment) after Genosis and after Christophsis (once you've had a chance to see how your character plays). Trying to figure out how to work credit awards, I think that for the most part you'll nominally get credits (a thousand or few per battle) but narratively get to requisition gear. Tell me in this misc thread the next piece of gear you would buy if you have the credits so I can better judge how many "credits" to award.

On 7/21/2019 at 6:35 PM, EliasWindrider said:

@Demon4x4 @vandarl how are those characters coming

Apologies for the delay... I've been hampered by having left my entire FFG SW book collection at my GM's house while I've been moving, and his slow reactions to giving me information from them... hahaha.
I plan to pick them up very soon...
I was also considering working in Force Adherant into my build because I like the idea of stacking Resolve with Parry/Reflect, but then realized I was reading Resolve (and in particular the voluntary part) incorrectly.
Also considering Species swap to one of Drabatan, Tognath, Geonosian.
And I'm rambling....

38 minutes ago, Demon4x4 said:

Apologies for the delay... I've been hampered by having left my entire FFG SW book collection at my GM's house while I've been moving, and his slow reactions to giving me information from them... hahaha.
I plan to pick them up very soon...
I was also considering working in Force Adherant into my build because I like the idea of stacking Resolve with Parry/Reflect, but then realized I was reading Resolve (and in particular the voluntary part) incorrectly.
Also considering Species swap to one of Drabatan, Tognath, Geonosian.
And I'm rambling....

You know about this thread

right? Really weird that the preview include another forum member's pic from late in the thread.

RLogue177's talent trees are a fantastic resource and boon to players - but I've also learned to be aware that the information in the trees are the short format version, and that the actual talent descriptions have some important extra details. :)

I feel that Mireska is probably good at being a healer/doctor (3 y +1 g for Medicine, most of the Heal tree, lots of talents sunk into Surgeon, Physician, etc.).

In addition she's also a bit of a junior Force wizard in that she has the mobility side of Enhance, a number of starting Force powers, and 3 Force dice with which to play.

Things like combat and Leadership-focused situations will be challenging for her. She's going to be ... very bad ... at things like Parry/Reflect and Leadership checks, although she'll be learning as fast as possible while also keeping an eye on her other "xp targets".

In general, I'd describe her as a "Healer Knight" from the Jedi MedCorps, not a mainstream traditional combat/negotiation Knight (the latter is good in combat and had the Presence/Willpower/Cunning to deal with people-situations). Mireska is definitely "support", and not a front-liner. She will, however, do her best to protect those under her care.

Whether or not this translates into a suitable character remains to be seen (this is only my second game with the FFG Star Wars rules set). To me, she feels like the "newly-graduated" Knight that was described in her background story. She knows some stuff well (her speciality), knows a little about some other things, and still has a lot to learn.

Goal for next piece of gear (after game start): 2x Kimber Stones for her Cyclic Crystal Array. The Kimber Stones cost 13,000 credits (2x 6,500 credits). I'll understand if that will take a while! Narratively, Mireska might have put in an order through the Master of Artisans, and it just took longer to fill than anticipated.

2 hours ago, Bellona said:

I feel that Mireska is probably good at being a healer/doctor (3 y +1 g for Medicine, most of the Heal tree, lots of talents sunk into Surgeon, Physician, etc.).

In addition she's also a bit of a junior Force wizard in that she has the mobility side of Enhance, a number of starting Force powers, and 3 Force dice with which to play.

Things like combat and Leadership-focused situations will be challenging for her. She's going to be ... very bad ... at things like Parry/Reflect and Leadership checks, although she'll be learning as fast as possible while also keeping an eye on her other "xp targets".

In general, I'd describe her as a "Healer Knight" from the Jedi MedCorps, not a mainstream traditional combat/negotiation Knight (the latter is good in combat and had the Presence/Willpower/Cunning to deal with people-situations). Mireska is definitely "support", and not a front-liner. She will, however, do her best to protect those under her care.

Whether or not this translates into a suitable character remains to be seen (this is only my second game with the FFG Star Wars rules set). To me, she feels like the "newly-graduated" Knight that was described in her background story. She knows some stuff well (her speciality), knows a little about some other things, and still has a lot to learn.

Goal for next piece of gear (after game start): 2x Kimber Stones for her Cyclic Crystal Array. The Kimber Stones cost 13,000 credits (2x 6,500 credits). I'll understand if that will take a while! Narratively, Mireska might have put in an order through the Master of Artisans, and it just took longer to fill than anticipated.

Speaking of crystals, you said you were also looking for sapith (sp?) Crystals for the breach 2/property damage. Have you looked at Christophsis Crystals (which can have breach 2) instead of sapith? Because if you're ok with your lightsaber being destroyed/taken by Asajj Ventress as a trophy, I'd let you harvest 2 christophsis Crystal's for your "new" (rebuilding of an identical one would be a zero credit handwave) double bladed saber. The offer to replace a current crystal with a christophsis crystal during the battle of christophsis (next after genosis) is open to any jedi character.

Also damping emitters are the easy/cheap way to get stun damage, you just don't get concussive, don't know if you considered that.

Edited by EliasWindrider

@RandiQuade @vandarl @Bellona @AnomalousAuthor @MrTInce @Demon4x4

I would like you each to make exactly placeholder post in the ooc thread and nobody makes a second post until everyone has made one (I've already entered several place holders myself). The idea is that this place holder post is where you will post the link to your character sheet and your side story concept and evolution, so yeah feel free to edit it as time progresses. I'll see if I can link your character's names in the original IC post to your "character bio' post in the ooc thread.

OK, Having come to the conclusion that OggDudes currently hates me I have gone the SWSheets route for the moment. Here is the initial info for my character, just the crunch so far, with tthe basics of equipment. I will update quickly with the backstory and motivations information. Take a look and let me know what you think.

http://swsheets.com/c/9ypnak7c0-tinari-wen

Tinari Wen is a pretty good investigator, and a moderate if not focused combatant. In addition to a fair range of knowledge skills, he is a decent mechanic and has good contacts with the seamier side of society. He has a fair amount of defensive talents and should be good all around with plenty of room to grow. This is the first character I have built with a large XP base so I 'think' he is OK. I decided to work your Mando'jeti into my original concept since it looked like fun and should make for a few interesting hooks.

Edited by vandarl
15 minutes ago, vandarl said:

OK, Having come to the conclusion that OggDudes currently hates me I have gone the SWSheets route for the moment. Here is the initial info for my character, just the crunch so far, with tthe basics of equipment. I will update quickly with the backstory and motivations information. Take a look and let me know what you think.

http://swsheets.com/c/9ypnak7c0-tinari-wen

Tinari Wen is a pretty good investigator, and a moderate if not focused combatant. In addition to a fair range of knowledge skills, he is a decent mechanic and has good contacts with the seamier side of society. He has a fair amount of defensive talents and should be good all around with plenty of room to grow. This is the first character I have built with a large XP base so I 'think' he is OK. I decided to work your Mando'jeti into my original concept since it looked like fun and should make for a few interesting hooks.

It largely looks good but...

I found one issue with equipment, in particular the lightsaber crystal mods. Base difficulty of mods is 3 purple it increases with each mod, with 3 ranks in lore you decrease the base difficulty to 1 purple which means you get 5 mods before the difficulty to mod your crystal becomes "impossible" (I said any non-impossible mod to a crystal made in the jedi temple auto succeeds so you get 5 mods that you pay 100 credits apiece for but don't have to roll for) I believe you modded the ilum crystal 7 times, so choose which 2 mods you want to drop. If you want to attempt the impossible mods once the game has started it will require a destiny point flip and you'll be making the mechanics check against 1 red (because I will flip a different dp from black to white to upgrade the check) and 4 purple, and a despair will cause the crystal to shatter. With another 2 ranks of lore you will be able to get 1 more mod to the crystal that you don't have to roll for if it's made in the jedi temple.

I will fix that immediately. I apologize for the mixup. I will remove the Vicious 2

Other than that what do you think of the build? Am I missing anything obvious?

Edited by vandarl

So you're asking for something like a journey man's toolkit http://swrpg.viluppo.net/equipment/gear/1667/ for clones to use for free back at the barracks? (Sot is stay on target). The toolkit is customized to the user and counts as the right tools for the job.

It's only a few hundred credits you'd be saving so sure.

Just the standard toolkit requirement for modding attachments actually. I’ll go ahead and take a look at the one you’re referencing though.

10 minutes ago, vandarl said:

I will fix that immediately. I apologize for the mixup. I will remove the Vicious 2

Other than that what do you think of the build? Am I missing anything obvious?

Swsheets are a little hard to read compared to ogg dude sheets so I'm not completely sure.

I forgot to say that the scar talents (last 2 pages of forged in battle, aor soldier book) are available. If you care to work a significant injury/scar into your backstory, you can get one of the scar tr talents for 10 xp.

(Sorry about the 2½ days of radio silence from my end - I came down with a case of food poisoning late Tuesday evening, and have only just now crawled back to the surface of normality. This and a heat-wave to boot do not make me happy person. :( )

Was there any final decision about Secrets of the Jedi and Improved Secrets of the Jedi being optionally house-ruled onto the Padwan tree, in the same places as they are on the Padawan Survivor tree? (I did notice that the two trees have identical path layouts, so they would end up costing the same amount to obtain.)

1 hour ago, Bellona said:

(Sorry about the 2½ days of radio silence from my end - I came down with a case of food poisoning late Tuesday evening, and have only just now crawled back to the surface of normality. This and a heat-wave to boot do not make me happy person. :( )

Was there any final decision about Secrets of the Jedi and Improved Secrets of the Jedi being optionally house-ruled onto the Padwan tree, in the same places as they are on the Padawan Survivor tree? (I did notice that the two trees have identical path layouts, so they would end up costing the same amount to obtain.)

No one objected in the time window so the trees have been house ruled to have those talents (in the same places where they occur in padawan survivor)

On 7/23/2019 at 11:39 PM, EliasWindrider said:

Speaking of crystals, you said you were also looking for sapith (sp?) Crystals for the breach 2/property damage. Have you looked at Christophsis Crystals (which can have breach 2) instead of sapith? Because if you're ok with your lightsaber being destroyed/taken by Asajj Ventress as a trophy, I'd let you harvest 2 christophsis Crystal's for your "new" (rebuilding of an identical one would be a zero credit handwave) double bladed saber. The offer to replace a current crystal with a christophsis crystal during the battle of christophsis (next after genosis) is open to any jedi character.

Also damping emitters are the easy/cheap way to get stun damage, you just don't get concussive, don't know if you considered that.

That's a good point about the Christophsis Crystals being as good as the Sapith Gems. I'll take you up on that offer. But first I'll try a bit more crafting on the hilt.

With regard to the damping emitter, it has the drawback that the damage is reduced. The Kimber Stones/Cyclic Crystal Array combination does more stun damage before one even takes the crystal mods into consideration.

Actually, now that I've thought about it some more, I believe that Mireska would be better served with a more standard lightsabre. She's not intended to be a sabre-monkey from the start (and probably won't ever get that far compared to more dedicated builds). If she throws some later xp into the Ataru tree then she still has a chance to get the Linked quality. She'll have been using a standard lightsabre from the beginning.

Therefore she'll craft her own standard hilt to get some benefits (including the cyclic crystal array and putting in an order with the Temple artisans for a Kimber stone), have the (free) un-modded place-holder Ilum emerald in it, something happens on Christophsis, she crafts a new hilt (handwaved to be identical to the earlier one) and then uses a Christophsis crystal instead of the (destroyed/lost/stolen) Ilum one. Maybe the Kimber stone arrives along with the next supply shipment after Christophsis, which is why it's not at risk during the Christophsis incident.

That just leaves the single Lorrdian gemstone to buy/account for during actual game-play. That should be a nice plot-hook! :)

This change has the benefit that post-Christophsis Mireska will have a functional lightsabre which can also do Stun damage (after some hand-waved toil at a workbench). Also, the saved credits can go to armour, etc., or even some sort of "down-payment" for the Lorrdian.

So I'll go back to orakos and see what the dice do.

Edited by Bellona
Spelling
7 hours ago, Bellona said:

That's a good point about the Christophsis Crystals being as good as the Sapith Gems. I'll take you up on that offer. But first I'll try a bit more crafting on the hilt.

With regard to the damping emitter, it has the drawback that the damage is reduced. The Kimber Stones/Cyclic Crystal Array combination does more stun damage before one even takes the crystal mods into consideration.

Actually, now that I've thought about it some more, I believe that Mireska would be better served with a more standard lightsabre. She's not intended to be a sabre-monkey from the start (and probably won't ever get that far compared to more dedicated builds). If she throws some later xp into the Ataru tree then she still has a chance to get the Linked quality. She'll have been using a standard lightsabre from the beginning.

Therefore she'll craft her own standard hilt to get some benefits (including the cyclic crystal array and putting in an order with the Temple artisans for a Kimber stone), have the (free) un-modded place-holder Ilum emerald in it, something happens on Christophsis, she crafts a new hilt (handwaved to be identical to the earlier one) and then uses a Christophsis crystal instead of the (destroyed/lost/stolen) Ilum one. Maybe the Kimber stone arrives along with the next supply shipment after Christophsis, which is why it's not at risk during the Christophsis incident.

That just leaves the single Lordian gemstone to buy/account for during actual game-play. That should be a nice plot-hook! :)

This change has the benefit that post-Christophsis Mireska will have a functional lightsabre which can also do Stun damage (after some hand-waved toil at a workbench). Also, the saved credits can go to armour, etc., or even some sort of "down-payment" for the Lorrdian.

So I'll go back to orakos and see what the dice do.

The damping emitter I think has mods to undo the damage reduction (at least it works out that way for a dragite gem, not sure about other crystals).

Edit:

A fully (i.e. twice) modded damping emitter does the same damage as whatever crystal it has, it's just stun (and it loses breach and sunder)

Edited by EliasWindrider
13 hours ago, Bellona said:

I feel for ya. I got knocked out by food poisoning for a few days a couple of weeks ago. Sucks so bad.