PBP Alt Univ: Clone Wars: Misc

By EliasWindrider, in Star Wars: Force and Destiny Beginner Game

13 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

The damping emitter I think has mods to undo the damage reduction (at least it works out that way for a dragite gem, not sure about other crystals).

You're quite right - I'd forgotten about the mods on it. It also takes up one less hard point.

Interestingly, there seems to be some discrepancy in how EV and KtP deal with Stun damage criticals and lightsabres. EV's damping emitter attachment reduces the damage dealt (but allows for it to be recouped via mods to the emitter), increases the difficulty of critting by one, and removes the Breach quality. KtP's Kimber stone has a generally high base Stun damage (9), does not allow crits, and removes both the Breach and Sunder qualities (its mods can increase the base Stun damage to 11, and add Concussive 1 and Disorient 2).

For the sake of budgetary expediency, I'll go for the Damping Emitter for now - and hope to run across/be able to purchase a Kimber stone at some point in the future. (No rush.) That also means that I can now afford the Lorrdian gemstone as the second crystal in the cyclic crystal array.

By the way, how do the rules deal with removing attachments? Is it just as easy as installing them? Can the parts be re-cycled, i.e., used in another, basically identical weapon? Ostensibly lightsabre crystals can be passed on like that, even between different wielders, but what about non-crystal attachments? (Obviously something like a Superior Hilt Personalization attachment won't work for someone else, but what about a DE or CCA?)

Also, will the aforementioned handwaving of crafting a new hilt after Christophsis include non-crystal attachments, like a damping emitter and a cyclic crystal array? If not, then I'll hold back on the DE and CCA (as well as the Lorrdian gemstone) until after Christophsis. (Maybe they were left in the safety of her quarters on board the starship, as of yet uninstalled due to lack of time.)

... So many decisions, so many changes! But I hope to finalise this part of the character by Monday evening.

12 hours ago, AnomalousAuthor said:

I feel for ya. I got knocked out by food poisoning for a few days a couple of weeks ago. Sucks so bad.

Thank you. It took me something like three days before I was even remotely interested in normal food again. Otherwise it was just plain boiled rice and the occasional piece of peeled fruit.

Some AU continuity questions ...

Dooku is known publicly to be the leader of the CIS. Who knows that he's an ex-Jedi? And who knows that he's now a Sith?

Some of the answers might depend on whether or not OWK managed to relay information about his interrogation by Dooku to the Jedi "rescuers" before he died in the arena on Geonosis.

Also, who's the perceived aggressor in the war? The CIS for killing a Republic Senate-backed Jedi investigator? The Republic for entering secessionary Geonosis space with military force and landing soldiers and Jedi?

For that matter, were secession plans already on the table (i.e., public) before OWK got to Geonosis? Does the Republic even have clauses in its constitution (or equivalents thereof) to allow for secession? It would be odd if it didn't, although they might be somewhat of a mess either in format or practical application (think of the current Brexit headaches between the UK and the rest of the EU [European Union, not Expanded Universe! :D ]). Uncertainty in the political arena might lead to unfortunate responses in others.

Are there any galaxy-wide (probably barring the Unknown Regions) standards for treating POWs, etc., similar to our Geneva/Vienna/Hague Conventions? (Granted, even it they did exist, I wouldn't necessarily trust the Hutts or some of the other Outer Rim slaver societies to obey them.) Maybe a "Ruusan Convention" that was part of the Ruusan Reformation? And would the CIS follow it?

ETA: I missed the fact that the IC thread was started (well, I was ill). Some of my questions míght have been answered in the OP. *scurries off to check*

Edited by Bellona
Clarity
1 hour ago, Bellona said:

You're quite right - I'd forgotten about the mods on it. It also takes up one less hard point.

Interestingly, there seems to be some discrepancy in how EV and KtP deal with Stun damage criticals and lightsabres. EV's damping emitter attachment reduces the damage dealt (but allows for it to be recouped via mods to the emitter), increases the difficulty of critting by one, and removes the Breach quality. KtP's Kimber stone has a generally high base Stun damage (9), does not allow crits, and removes both the Breach and Sunder qualities (its mods can increase the base Stun damage to 11, and add Concussive 1 and Disorient 2).

For the sake of budgetary expediency, I'll go for the Damping Emitter for now - and hope to run across/be able to purchase a Kimber stone at some point in the future. (No rush.) That also means that I can now afford the Lorrdian gemstone as the second crystal in the cyclic crystal array.

By the way, how do the rules deal with removing attachments? Is it just as easy as installing them? Can the parts be re-cycled, i.e., used in another, basically identical weapon? Ostensibly lightsabre crystals can be passed on like that, even between different  wielders, but what about non-crystal attachments? (Obviously something like a Superior Hilt Personalization attachment won't work for someone else, but what about a DE or CCA?)

Also, will the aforementioned handwaving of crafting a new hilt after Christophsis include non-crystal attachments, like a damping emitter and a cyclic crystal array? If not, then I'll hold back on the DE and CCA (as well as the Lorrdian gemstone) until after Christophsis. (Maybe they were left in the safety of her quarters on board the starship, as of yet uninstalled due to lack of time.)

... So many decisions, so many changes! But I hope to finalise this part of the character by Monday evening.

In general attachments that are actually attachments (as opposed to altering the base thing, e.g. the stripped down or superior) can be recycled, but in your case you've got the GM handwave so it wouldn't matter. How about you get the lorrdian at the end of christophsis (there is a antiquities/gem dealer you know and trust who said he knew someone who had one and could be convinced to sell it). Just so were on the same page you'll lose the saber in a duel with asajj ventress (or similar) and you'll then be without a saber until the end of the battle, unless you want a no frills temporary hilt to put the unmodded christophsis crystal, and the cut scene hand wave happens after the mission, actually well be going straight on to tether and then to tatooine and maybe the antiquities dealer is at jabba's palace and you can get the lorrdian crystal there

Edited by EliasWindrider

I'm cool with losing the original 'sabre to Ventress - Mireska is a terrible-in-the-not-very-capable-sense duellist, so it's only to be expected. (Do we actually have any capable duellists among our Jedi/Force-users?) A temporary no-frills hilt would be convenient "for the small stuff" between Ventress and the end of Christophsis.

I'll start with equipping the character with a standard lightsabre (with the hilt crafting results, Ilum emerald, and a DE).

After I lose the original 'sabre and when appropriate (your specific say-so), I'll equip a no-frills standard hilt with a Christophsis emerald.

When Christophsis is over, I'll equip a standard lightsabre with the original hilt crafting results, Christophsis emerald, DE, and a CCA. I won't put in the Lorrdian until you specifically say so (assuming that you're planning an encounter or more around the acquisition of the Lorrdian). ... *has sudden visions of Hondo Ohnaka and his inevitable chaos*

Question re managing player expectations: How often should we count on the characters making it back to the Temple on Coruscant? The answer might affect planned modding of gear ...

Edited by Bellona

Okay, report on the crafting of Mireska's standard lightsabre hilt. It took 24 rolls. Total construction time was 82 hours and it cost 1,250 credits.

http://orokos.com/roll/745415

Two successes, two advantages plus one from the JMT, one triumph.

In the end I chose the Personalised Design and Fine-Tuned Emitter results and called it a day. (Or several days from an in-game POV.) Ironically, if I hadn't so ambitious/greedy, I could have stopped at attempt #17 or even #3! :D (Not a complaint!)

This will be the "with frills" version of the standard hilt, and include the Damping Emitter (EV) attachment.

I have updated my character sheet with equipment loadout as well as background. Hopefully it is to your liking, but if there are any questions or suggestions let me know.

http://swsheets.com/c/9ypnak7c0-tinari-wen

Sorry for the delay in updating, we have had an absolutely horrible week at work. Several folks on the team in my therapy department were out and we were going crazy trying to keep up with the paperwork, treatments and evaluations. Patients have got to be seen no mater what, short handed or no. It shouldn't be an ongoing issue though.

4 hours ago, Bellona said:

I'm cool with losing the original 'sabre to Ventress - Mireska is a terrible-in-the-not-very-capable-sense duellist, so it's only to be expected. (Do we actually have any capable duellists among our Jedi/Force-users?) A temporary no-frills hilt would be convenient "for the small stuff" between Ventress and the end of Christophsis.

I'll start with equipping the character with a standard lightsabre (with the hilt crafting results, Ilum emerald, and a DE).

After I lose the original 'sabre and when appropriate (your specific say-so), I'll equip a no-frills standard hilt with a Christophsis emerald.

When Christophsis is over, I'll equip a standard lightsabre with the original hilt crafting results, Christophsis emerald, DE, and a CCA. I won't put in the Lorrdian until you specifically say so (assuming that you're planning an encounter or more around the acquisition of the Lorrdian). ... *has sudden visions of Hondo Ohnaka and his inevitable chaos*

Question re managing player expectations: How often should we count on the characters making it back to the Temple on Coruscant? The answer might affect planned modding of gear ...

We will at least initially be following the chronology of the clone wars cgi series. The series/movie has teth (rescuing jabba's son) happening with no break after christophsis; and then deliver jabba's son to him on tatooine. After that there is a break. If in the series, it doesn't say that there isn't a break between battles you get to go back to coruscant to deliver a report, and mod a crystal while there if desired.

Hondo ohnaka seems much more interesting than what I had in mind we'll go with that. So you have to meet hondo before asking him to get a crystal for you.

2 hours ago, vandarl said:

I have updated my character sheet with equipment loadout as well as background. Hopefully it is to your liking, but if there are any questions or suggestions let me know.

http://swsheets.com/c/9ypnak7c0-tinari-wen

Sorry for the delay in updating, we have had an absolutely horrible week at work. Several folks on the team in my therapy department were out and we were going crazy trying to keep up with the paperwork, treatments and evaluations. Patients have got to be seen no mater what, short handed or no. It shouldn't be an ongoing issue though.

While you've removed the 2 vicious it still says fully modded under armor and weapons and the device provides the prescient shot talent NOT the intuitive shot talent as per the force attuned resonator. It grants a boost die against targets that aren't immune to the force. You don't get to add your force die to the attack. Intuitive shot is only available through the hunter specialization.

Can you also correct the text for street smarts improved (you copied side step improved into it) fluff is great... but swsheets makes it hard to check for build errors (not guaranteeing their aren't any)

Description under armor and weapons corrected indicating the crystal is modded except for vicious, and the prescient talent information added for the blaster option. Also inputted the information under talents as well. The text for street smarts improved is corrected as well.

I would rather use OggDudes, but it apparently hates me when I try printing to a PDF. I am still working on the problem, and as soon as I get it working I will convert to that, since it is what I used to build the character. The quick fix might be to just stop being an old Luddite and upgrade from Windows 7, but I hate 10. May end up being my option though.

6 hours ago, Bellona said:

Some AU continuity questions ...

Dooku is known publicly to be the leader of the CIS. Who knows that he's an ex-Jedi? And who knows that he's now a Sith?

Some of the answers might depend on whether or not OWK managed to relay information about his interrogation by Dooku to the Jedi "rescuers" before he died in the arena on Geonosis.

Also, who's the perceived aggressor in the war? The CIS for killing a Republic Senate-backed Jedi investigator? The Republic for entering secessionary Geonosis space with military force and landing soldiers and Jedi?

For that matter, were secession plans already on the table (i.e., public) before OWK got to Geonosis? Does the Republic even have clauses in its constitution (or equivalents thereof) to allow for secession? It would be odd if it didn't, although they might be somewhat of a mess either in format or practical application (think of the current Brexit headaches between the UK and the rest of the EU [European Union, not Expanded Universe! :D ]). Uncertainty in the political arena might lead to unfortunate responses in others.

Are there any galaxy-wide (probably barring the Unknown Regions) standards for treating POWs, etc., similar to our Geneva/Vienna/Hague Conventions? (Granted, even it they did exist, I wouldn't necessarily trust the Hutts or some of the other Outer Rim slaver societies to obey them.) Maybe a "Ruusan Convention" that was part of the Ruusan Reformation? And would the CIS follow it?

ETA: I missed the fact that the IC thread was started (well, I was ill). Some of my questions míght have been answered in the OP. *scurries off to check*

Dooku is publicly known as a former jedi and the leader of the cis. "No one" knows he's a sith yet. The common populace of each side sees the other as the aggressor.

The cis were already gearing up for a war the republic didn't know was coming.

From the TV show, the separatists repeatedly violate real world Geneva conventions and the republic doesn't

40 minutes ago, vandarl said:

Description under armor and weapons corrected indicating the crystal is modded except for vicious, and the prescient talent information added for the blaster option. Also inputted the information under talents as well. The text for street smarts improved is corrected as well.

I would rather use OggDudes, but it apparently hates me when I try printing to a PDF. I am still working on the problem, and as soon as I get it working I will convert to that, since it is what I used to build the character. The quick fix might be to just stop being an old Luddite and upgrade from Windows 7, but I hate 10. May end up being my option though.

10 is significantly better than 8, and it's evolving getting better it doesn't have all of the features I liked about 7 (I miss a quality built in DVD player) but it has some cool new ones (some built in video editing)

Yeah, 8 was and is the Devil, I am just so comfortable with 7 that I don't want to get rid of it. Of course all my complaints and questions on OggDude make me sound like a novice but I spent over a decade in the IT field before changing course and becoming a therapist.

Matter of fact I am in charge of teaching everyone else on the team how to use the new program we use for for documentation. The interaction between programming and troubleshooting has a surprising overlap with diagnosing and treating, all the same analytical patterns but the details a different.

LoL, you could say I have more than one spec.

1 hour ago, vandarl said:

Yeah, 8 was and is the Devil, I am just so comfortable with 7 that I don't want to get rid of it. Of course all my complaints and questions on OggDude make me sound like a novice but I spent over a decade in the IT field before changing course and becoming a therapist.

Matter of fact I am in charge of teaching everyone else on the team how to use the new program we use for for documentation. The interaction between programming and troubleshooting has a surprising overlap with diagnosing and treating, all the same analytical patterns but the details a different.

LoL, you could say I have more than one spec.

I'm on 7 too. I downloaded DoPDF just for this PbFP and OggDude's program has behaved fine so far, so I guess that that's a recommendation ... ? :)

3 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Hondo ohnaka seems much more interesting than what I had in mind we'll go with that. So you have to meet hondo before asking him to get a crystal for you.

:D

Many apologies to the other players ... it looks as though I've brought Hondo Ohnaka down on us all!

I've set aside more than 14,000 credits for both my current lightsabre and its near-future lightsabre upgrades (CCA and Lorrdian crystal) and spent roughly 2,600 credits on utility/flavour gear (Jedi utility belt, physician's kit, datapads, amulet crafting, etc.).

Does anyone have any recommendations for using the remaining 1,500 credits wisely on armour?

Besides OggDude's program, I currently only have easy access to FaD CRB, the six FaD career books, and Dawn of Rebellion. In about two weeks I'll also have both RotSep and CotR.

6 minutes ago, Bellona said:

I've set aside more than 14,000 credits for both my current lightsabre and its near-future lightsabre upgrades (CCA and Lorrdian crystal) and spent roughly 2,600 credits on utility/flavour gear (Jedi utility belt, physician's kit, datapads, amulet crafting, etc.).

Does anyone have any recommendations for using the remaining 1,500 credits wisely on armour?

Besides OggDude's program, I currently only have easy access to FaD CRB, the six FaD career books, and Dawn of Rebellion. In about two weeks I'll also have both RotSep and CotR.

Armor inserts from cyphers and masks. They cost 450 credits, take any article of clothing with less than or equal to 1 soak and zero defense and COMPLETELY REPLACE it with the stat line of armored clothing, with mods to +1 soak, +1 defense, and raise the difficulty of spotting it to 3 purple.

Good to know. I'll see if I can wrangle OggDude's program into playing nicely with that particular item - but not tonight (much too late over here).

OggDudes has the item installed under attachments, just buy the clothing you like and add the armor inserts to it. EasyPeasy.

35 minutes ago, vandarl said:

OggDudes has the item installed under attachments, just buy the clothing you like and add the armor inserts to it. EasyPeasy.

Not really, the set defense to one base mod of the attachment appears to be getting applied after the mod to increase defense (but in ogg dudes), it also doesn't change encumbrance, remove any special features of the base clothing. What you'll want to do is copy armored clothing in the data editor, change the price and rarity, remove the detection base mod, and add a modified copy of the armor inserts.

The copy armor insert needs its base mods for soak and defense removed.

Have there been errata and/or clarifications regarding Protective Amulets from UP?

For some reason OggDude's program does not list the vacuum protection property in the description. And weirdly, when trying to re-create the amulet just now, the program is now adding an extra 30 credits to the price. And I can't figure out how to access the item's data in the Data Editor. :(

Edited by Bellona

Well, it looks as though I wrangled OggDude's program into submission over the armour inserts. *crosses fingers in case it helps the program to obey* Right now it looks like a sort-of specialty item ("Mireska's Jedi Healer uniform"). I'm not even sure if I could replicate precisely what I did - I just kept poking at the armour and armour attachment until it looked right.

If I want to mod that particular attachment, do you want the dice rolls for that too?

... And I just realised that I forgot to roll any checks to mod (add) the pouch attachments to the backpack. >__<

Do you want dice rolls for them too?

Edited by Bellona
1 hour ago, Bellona said:

Well, it looks as though I wrangled OggDude's program into submission over the armour inserts. *crosses fingers in case it helps the program to obey* Right now it looks like a sort-of specialty item ("Mireska's Jedi Healer uniform"). I'm not even sure if I could replicate precisely what I did - I just kept poking at the armour and armour attachment until it looked right.

If I want to mod that particular attachment, do you want the dice rolls for that too?

... And I just realised that I forgot to roll any checks to mod (add) the pouch attachments to the backpack. >__<

Do you want dice rolls for them too?

Yes please roll the dice for non crystal mods

8 hours ago, Bellona said:

Have there been errata and/or clarifications regarding Protective Amulets from UP?

For some reason OggDude's program does not list the vacuum protection property in the description. And weirdly, when trying to re-create the amulet just now, the program is now adding an extra 30 credits to the price. And I can't figure out how to access the item's data in the Data Editor. :(

Not that I'm aware of.

2 hours ago, EliasWindrider said:

Yes please roll the dice for non crystal mods

Actually, looking at the entry for the Mark III Modular Backpack (SS p. 46), it looks as though the extra pouches are not meant - rules-wise - to be treated as mods to an attachment. I guess that OggDude simply decided to treat them as such for ease of use within the program.

Now for the Armour Insert mods on "Mireska's Jedi Healer uniform" ...

Defence +1 mod: http://orokos.com/roll/745774 (1 success, 3 threats) ... I'm not that familiar with Mechanics results in this kind of situation. Maybe it took much longer time than expected? Mireska suffered a lot of Strain afterwards? It will take three separate combat encounters before the mod actually works, because something is a bit out of place? She'll have three specific "armour malfunctions" in the future?

Soak +1: http://orokos.com/roll/745776 (2 successes, 2 threats)

And that's as far as I'll risk it. Technically two successful mods, and 300 credits poorer.

Maybe I'll find a professional armourer to do the last one for me (or fix any errors from the first two)?

ETA:

OggDude's program only charged 200 credits total for that little exercise. Have I misunderstood how the mod cost is calculated?

On the other hand, the Defence +1 mod didn't work in the program, so I'll have to tinker a bit more.

Edited by Bellona
ETA