STAR WARS: RESISTANCE Discussion Thread!

By That Blasted Samophlange, in X-Wing Off-Topic

She's already my favorite character.

Just now, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

You just beat me this time.

https://www.starwars.com/series/star-wars-resistance/rendezvous-point-episode-guide

Venisa starfighter concept art Venisa's starfighter

1. The work of an ILM great.

Venisa Doza’s X-wing design comes courtesy of an Industrial Light & Magic veteran: Bill George. George was a model maker on Star Wars: Return of the Jedi and has since contributed to many Star Wars projects, including Star Wars: The Phantom Menace and Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge. George also created a practical scale model of the ship, which was then 3D scanned for the CGI version. Venisa’s X-wing has a very unique design — most especially the canopy and the proton torpedo tubes, which are located on the wings instead of the main body. Her X-wing, like Torch, are custom “hot rod” versions that she chop-shopped herself, much like Torra’s racer and droid are custom-designed. Her blaster is a variation of the same model that Han Solo carries.

Looks like Bill George returned to do more model work here. Loving it. Seems this X-Wing has been heavily customized, perhaps beyond what we thought was possible. It's mentioned in the same Bucket List's Extra that “Venisa, along with Torch and her X-wing, were designed to look like she’s been using the same equipment since the Return of the Jedi era, as she was a fighter pilot at a young age." I take this to mean this is a T-65 that's been so heavily modified. If that's the case then she's changed a considerably large amount of things about it.

resistance-rendezvous-point-concept-art05_6ad9f118.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1872%2C1080

She appears to have the same or near-identical model of blaster as Han Solo.

Some concept art that I'm pretty sure was NOT seen in this episode.

resistance-rendezvous-point-concept-art10_32aa1666.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1386%2C1080

resistance-rendezvous-point-concept-art13_fa1820ad.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1386%2C1080

10 hours ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

resistance-rendezvous-point-concept-art10_32aa1666.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1386%2C1080

resistance-rendezvous-point-concept-art13_fa1820ad.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1386%2C1080

Interesting. The engine pods remind me of Incom products while the over all aesthetic seems to draw from the Mandalorian Kom'rk minus the spinning bits. It is going to be neat to see where it fits.

That VCX-100-like canopy is interesting as ****.

https://www.starwars.com/series/star-wars-resistance/rendezvous-point-episode-guide

Venisa starfighter concept art Venisa's starfighter

Looks like Bill George returned to do more model work here. Loving it. Seems this X-Wing has been heavily customized, perhaps beyond what we thought was possible. It's mentioned in the same Bucket List's Extra that “Venisa, along with Torch and her X-wing, were designed to look like she’s been using the same equipment since the Return of the Jedi era, as she was a fighter pilot at a young age." I take this to mean this is a T-65 that's been so heavily modified. If that's the case then she's changed a considerably large amount of things about it.

resistance-rendezvous-point-concept-art05_6ad9f118.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1872%2C1080

She appears to have the same or near-identical model of blaster as Han Solo.

Well, okay, so for the first time in a hot *** minute I was wrong about almost everything about this Starfighter. That might be the single most heavily modified T-65 X-Wing I've ever seen. I almost feel foolish to think it was anything else. Octuple thrusters, twin blasters, emphasis on ordnance... Geez.

What a hot frakking mess of a starfighter, yet such a personal thing. I'm impressed and endeared to it all the same, and humbled. My apologies.

1 hour ago, KCDodger said:

Well, okay, so for the first time in a hot *** minute I was wrong about almost everything about this Starfighter. That might be the single most heavily modified T-65 X-Wing I've ever seen. I almost feel foolish to think it was anything else. Octuple thrusters, twin blasters, emphasis on ordnance... Geez.

What a hot frakking mess of a starfighter, yet such a personal thing. I'm impressed and endeared to it all the same, and humbled. My apologies.

Don't apologize, we're all "vocally" putting out suppositions based on our own perception of the franchise. When we're wrong it is of no value to grovel. Admit the inaccuracy at most and then move on. ****, you're right allot more than you're wrong. I freaking thought the torpedo racks were power packs on Venisa's ship. They ain't and it ain't a big deal that they ain't. :D

13 hours ago, Hiemfire said:

Don't apologize, we're all "vocally" putting out suppositions based on our own perception of the franchise. When we're wrong it is of no value to grovel. Admit the inaccuracy at most and then move on. ****, you're right allot more than you're wrong. I freaking thought the torpedo racks were power packs on Venisa's ship. They ain't and it ain't a big deal that they ain't. :D

Thanks, Hiemfire. I'm largely apologizing because how often I'm right about ships has made me pretty uppity about ever being wrong, so I felt like a real Gary Oak.

But thank you for telling me I'm usually right. :D

On 11/25/2019 at 10:24 AM, CaptainJaguarShark said:

We didn't get much in the way of concept art for the droid fighter, sadly.

resistance-rendezvous-point-episode-gallery-06_39adaa24.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1080%2C1080

It does look pretty good in the episode, though.

the-voxx-vortex-5000-episode-gallery-11_ac6fffa0.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1920%2C1080

the-voxx-vortex-5000-episode-gallery-05_6b92e540.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1920%2C1080

Droid struts for landing on other ships to make them distracted when, FFG?

Gotta say I have loved these past 2 episodes.

These new ships are awesome, I already liked the design but when I saw that it was a droid I was shocked for a second or two. So able to shoot forwards and backwards along with being a racing ship, Scum RZ-2?

Also this episode gives some ideas for a racing game mode. Turrets on asteroids, mines, checkpoints. Yeah we could already have ideas but seeing it on screen could help for somethinf official.

36 minutes ago, KiraYamatoSF said:

Gotta say I have loved these past 2 episodes.

These new ships are awesome, I already liked the design but when I saw that it was a droid I was shocked for a second or two. So able to shoot forwards and backwards along with being a racing ship, Scum RZ-2?

Also this episode gives some ideas for a racing game mode. Turrets on asteroids, mines, checkpoints. Yeah we could already have ideas but seeing it on screen could help for something official.

I took the rear facing blaster to be more like the illicit upgrade Hot Shot Blaster we had in 1st edition.

But it certainly seems right in a sort of interceptor role. Really fast straightline speed, decent shooting, decent maneuvering, but with some fun tools that other interceptors don't have such as landing on another ship.

I believe those dice are the same or very similar to the way Han Solo's dice look in The Last Jedi.

2 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

I really wasn't expecting space fighting in this episode. Nice to see!

https://www.starwars.com/series/star-wars-resistance/kaz-s-curse-episode-guide

kaz-s-curse-episode-gallery-09_6ef94363.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1920%2C1080

kaz-s-curse-episode-gallery-10_61f0621e.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1920%2C1080

kaz-s-curse-concept-art-02_3f8ed57d.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1440%2C1080

kaz-s-curse-concept-art-03_f4f77c9a.jpeg?region=0%2C0%2C1440%2C1080

The Guavian fighters are very cool and need to be in our favorite starfighter miniature game now.

I'm very unclear on where the cockpit is in these. Is it that little band of black color at the front of the rear cylinder?

7 minutes ago, CaptainJaguarShark said:

'm very unclear on where the cockpit is in these. Is it that little band of black color at the front of the rear cylinder?

The part that is called out as "Fl" in the materials section? The circle in the key seems to be colored to indicate it is reflective, so I think that is the cockpit glass. It is really narrow proportionally to the rest of the ship but seems to still provide an okay viewing when I take into account the scale of the ship relative to a T-70.

1 hour ago, Hiemfire said:

The part that is called out as "Fl" in the materials section? The circle in the key seems to be colored to indicate it is reflective, so I think that is the cockpit glass. It is really narrow proportionally to the rest of the ship but seems to still provide an okay viewing when I take into account the scale of the ship relative to a T-70.

Yeah, kind of reminds me of something like a pillbox, but broader view. And like you say, scale matters there, so it is probably big enough.

January Episodes and air dates

01/05: 2x14 - The Mutiny

Two Epiosdes!

01/12: 2x15 - The New World
01/12: 2x16 - No Place Safe

01/19: 2x17 - Rebuilding the Resistance

01/26: 2x18 - The Escape

Do we know how many episodes there is in season 2?

3 hours ago, Red Castle said:

Do we know how many episodes there is in season 2?

Season 1 had 21 Episodes

Season 2 is listed as having 18 Episodes on most Star Wars sites but IMDB has them at 19.

47 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Season 1 had 21 Episodes

Season 2 is listed as having 18 Episodes on most Star Wars sites but IMDB has them at 19.

Oh! So it ends in january! I thought it would have lasted a little longer... but then again, Clone Wars is back in february, so it kinda makes sense.

16 hours ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

January Episodes and air dates

01/05: 2x14 - The Mutiny

Two Epiosdes!

01/12: 2x15 - The New World
01/12: 2x16 - No Place Safe

01/19: 2x17 - Rebuilding the Resistance

01/26: 2x18 - The Escape

Maybe we'll actually see more of the rest of the Resistance for a bit, would be good to see considering the name of the show.