Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Painting

Just finished with my T-47, and thanks to your sage guidance I couldn't be happier with how it turned out! I love your channel, Soroastro - you're truly the Bob Ross of miniatures.

4mHZUuI.jpg

1 hour ago, Zepherite said:

Testor's dullcoat to the model then gloss varnish to the appropriate places.

Same as sorastro does for the stormtrooper armour.

It's not painted on if that's what you mean haha.

That was my question :)

It looks quite good regardless.

On 6/9/2018 at 10:28 PM, Contrapulator said:

Just finished with my T-47, and thanks to your sage guidance I couldn't be happier with how it turned out! I love your channel, Soroastro - you're truly the Bob Ross of miniatures.

4mHZUuI.jpg

Wow - that's really stunning work mate! You've got a lovely amount of weathering, good level of contrast, and the windows really turned out fantastic! Thanks so much for sharing :)

I Sense ...

Edited by Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun

Hi folks,

General Veers has landed :)

28885612968_cd746c8273_b.jpg

42759589041_299edd8421_b.jpg

By the old gods and the new, look at the level of detail in the armour.

I can’t say I even see that kind of detail in my real everyday life.

But then again I’m in New York and we eschew eye contact.

Thanks for giving me inspiration to attempt my first rusty appearance. It's nice not to worry about a mistake it's just a happy little accident.

Atst done minus magnets in weapons.

Atst done minus magnets in weapons.

Emperor Vader taking care of business on Crait

Edited by Sparty1701
On 3/30/2018 at 5:43 AM, Sorastro said:

Hello fellow painters!

Now we have a painting sub forum I thought I'd start a fresh thread where I can share pictures of my progress with the Legion minis. Here's a link to the complete video tutorial playlist showing how I painted them.

Here are some pics of the minis I've covered so far...

Thank you for the videos you've put out so far! Can you say when your video for the snowtroopers, Leia, and Fleet Troopers will be post? I don't want to paint mine until I watch your tutorial first.

3 hours ago, Lumberjack Nick said:

Thank you for the videos you've put out so far! Can you say when your video for the snowtroopers, Leia, and Fleet Troopers will be post? I don't want to paint mine until I watch your tutorial first.

Hi Nick! That, sir, is a very fair question! I prepared a PDF guide for the Fleet Troopers a couple of weeks ago which I'll release as soon as it gets approved (and I will of course link it here). I've fallen a bit behind with the other stuff as I've been busy preparing for a new album release, but I'm planning to produce the Leia video next week, and a PDF for the Snow Troopers later on in the month :)

On 7/4/2018 at 1:50 PM, Sorastro said:

Hi Nick! That, sir, is a very fair question! I prepared a PDF guide for the Fleet Troopers a couple of weeks ago which I'll release as soon as it gets approved (and I will of course link it here). I've fallen a bit behind with the other stuff as I've been busy preparing for a new album release, but I'm planning to produce the Leia video next week, and a PDF for the Snow Troopers later on in the month :)

Sounds great! Thank you so much!

On 6/9/2018 at 11:28 PM, Contrapulator said:

4mHZUuI.jpg

Wow!!! Nice job mate!

I noted in one of your videos that you use Vallejo Matt Varnish to fill gaps instead of a Vallejo Plastic Putty. I almost like green stuff over the putty for detail work. Can you elaborate on your experiences? Thanks in advance.

I remember in one of your videos you mentioned what brushes you use, but I cannot remember which vid & what brushes

16 hours ago, Bohemian73 said:

I noted in one of your videos that you use Vallejo Matt Varnish to fill gaps instead of a Vallejo Plastic Putty. I almost like green stuff over the putty for detail work. Can you elaborate on your experiences? Thanks in advance.

Hi Bohemian73! I generally use Green Stuff for larger gaps, and the Vallejo Matt Varnish for smaller ones. I haven't actually tried Vallejo's Plastic Putty yet so can't comment on that :)

8 hours ago, balashivo73 said:

I remember in one of your videos you mentioned what brushes you use, but I cannot remember which vid & what brushes

Hi there! I list the brushes used in the video description of each video, but I usually use a Rosemary & Co. Series 33 Size 2 :)

Hey Sorastro,

PDF guides are interesting - where can I find these to review? Have they been released for all of the units you'e made videos for?

On 7/11/2018 at 12:52 PM, Copes said:

Hey Sorastro,

PDF guides are interesting - where can I find these to review? Have they been released for all of the units you'e made videos for?

Hi Copes! I usually produce PDF guides for miniatures that I won't be covering as a video, simply as a way of covering more figures than I could cover in video form. I usually produce three such PDF guides per month for games like IA, Descent, and Gloomhaven, and publish them for my patrons on Patreon who fund their production. However, I will be making an exception with the Legion PDF guides by sharing them freely - most likely on my website ( Sorastro.com ) and I'll also provide a link here on the forum. :)

Hey sorastro what would you suggest for a base scheme thats somwhat universal and can be used on dessert, forrest, snowy, and urban terrain. Or any ideas i would greatly appreciate it ?

20 hours ago, Gun4hire said:

Hey sorastro what would you suggest for a base scheme thats somwhat universal and can be used on dessert, forrest, snowy, and urban terrain. Or any ideas i would greatly appreciate it ?

Hey Gun4hire! It sounds like the using clear acrylic bases would be the best solution. You'd have to do some research and see what's out there, and also check to see if using third-party bases would affect eligibility for competitive play (if that's of any concern). :)

I didnt know they made clear bases til after i glued them all already ?

Leia Organa leading the troops :)

41956174150_47735451c8_b.jpg

41956173590_f5c472c20d_b.jpg

42 minutes ago, Sorastro said:

Leia Organa leading the troops :)

Hah... Just finished my Leias (FFG & Skull Forge) as well...^^

Well done! I picked the same colour scheme for my FFG Leia.

Edited by JohnnyTrash

@Sorastro ‘s guide to painting Leia is up:

Thanks for the video Sorastro!

Looks like there is a lot more units for videos coming down the line! :D