Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Painting

Hello fellow painters!

Now we have a painting sub forum I thought I'd start a fresh thread where I can share pictures of my progress with the Legion minis. Here's a link to the complete video tutorial playlist showing how I painted them.

Here are some pics of the minis I've covered so far:

40060340505_17c459a447_b.jpg

25689736937_290cca83cd_b.jpg

40560486071_3c320c2d52_b.jpg

38765054844_b585fbfc13_b.jpg

25685458267_df1c32585b_b.jpg

38747879034_424e723915_b.jpg

41109976901_cc9e734412_b.jpg

41109978081_5be792a455_b.jpg

39301592000_ab5d5f88b8_b.jpg

27834620458_1d23aeb428_b.jpg

41663082802_b29d927397_b.jpg

42759589041_299edd8421_b.jpg

41956174150_47735451c8_b.jpg

43844133370_03f6e161b6_b.jpg

45782616551_13264bee5b_b.jpg

46591916365_7755ef8a79_b.jpg

46591916255_a82aeca3ff_b.jpg

48717812646_9626e6ec1f_b.jpg

Happy Painting!

Edited by Sorastro

Absolutely beautiful. Can’t wait to see that AT-ST and Airspeeder videos.

Just now, Patteous said:

Absolutely beautiful. Can’t wait to see that AT-ST and Airspeeder videos.

Thanks buddy! The AT-ST video is now live :)

Just now, Sorastro said:

Thanks buddy! The AT-ST video is now live :)

Just in time for my lunch break at work. Thanks!!!

Just finished it. Looks absolutely fantastic. As my AT-ST is the last mini I have left to pint this is coming just in time for when I get off work today. Again, thank you for the work you’ve put into these videos. They look absolutely amazing and are very inspiring for a rookie painter like me.

Fantastic job!

As a new painter, thank you so much for the videos. I'm having a blast I never thought I would.

Stunning.

Simply stunning.

Sorastro - quick question. How are you planning to prime your Rebel Speeder—Corax white?

The Duros is the standout one for me. Love the AtST pose too.

Thanks so much guys! I'm just so happy to see this game taking off and so much creative work being done on the minis and terrain by the community on these forums :)

7 hours ago, GlobeTrotting said:

Simply stunning.

Sorastro - quick question. How are you planning to prime your Rebel Speeder—Corax white?

Thank you! I haven't made a final decision on that yet, but I'll most likely go with a grey prime with something like Mechanicus Standard Grey like I did with the AT-ST :)

7 hours ago, Alan Noir said:

The Duros is the standout one for me. Love the AtST pose too.

Thanks Alan! I strayed a bit from the usual blue tone for the Duros on a whim so I'm glad you like it.

I appreciate your comment about the AT-ST pose too; it was such an important part of the creative process for me to get right, and FFG did such a wonderful job in making it so flexible that it just seemed like such a waste not to make the pose as dynamic and interesting, yet believable as possible. :)

I was wondering if you were going to do a video covering the barricades and measurement tools. I’ve started tackling them myself. Curious to see how everyone else is going to do them.

1 hour ago, Sorastro said:

Thanks so much guys! I'm just so happy to see this game taking off and so much creative work being done on the minis and terrain by the community on these forums :)

Thank you! I haven't made a final decision on that yet, but I'll most likely go with a grey prime with something like Mechanicus Standard Grey like I did with the AT-ST :)

Thanks Alan! I strayed a bit from the usual blue tone for the Duros on a whim so I'm glad you like it.

I appreciate your comment about the AT-ST pose too; it was such an important part of the creative process for me to get right, and FFG did such a wonderful job in making it so flexible that it just seemed like such a waste not to make the pose as dynamic and interesting, yet believable as possible. :)

Just saw the video. Im glad its poseable, should make for some intrresting configurations.

21 hours ago, Patteous said:

I was wondering if you were going to do a video covering the barricades and measurement tools. I’ve started tackling them myself. Curious to see how everyone else is going to do them.

Hi Patteous! I won't be making a video for them, but would be happy to provide a short visual guide; I'll see what I can do :)

44 minutes ago, Sorastro said:

Hi Patteous! I won't be making a video for them, but would be happy to provide a short visual guide; I'll see what I can do :)

That would be awesome. Also. Will you be covering the terrain expansion pack that will be released?

Hey Sorastro,

Just wondering if you can post/have posted your alternative brown/desert color scheme for the rebel troopers?

I haven't been able to find a decent guide for them yet and not really confident in trying to work it out myself.

Cheers

Hey Sorastro, great job with the videos. First time painter and they have been crucial. I'm not that great but it definitely helps.

I was just thinking wondering how you would paint desert/mountain rebels? What colors would work best?

LOVE that AT-ST pose!!!

@Sorastro what blue is that on the at-rt?

On 31/03/2018 at 10:27 PM, Patteous said:

That would be awesome. Also. Will you be covering the terrain expansion pack that will be released?

Hi Patteous! My aim is to cover all of the Legion releases one way or another - some as videos and others as brief visual guides which I'll happily share here. :)

On 01/04/2018 at 1:50 AM, migs6000 said:

Hey Sorastro, great job with the videos. First time painter and they have been crucial. I'm not that great but it definitely helps.

I was just thinking wondering how you would paint desert/mountain rebels? What colors would work best?

Thanks a lot migs! I'm glad you're finding the videos helpful! Regarding desert colours, I don't have a precise scheme to share with you without doing some experimentation, but if you have a look through my Imperial Assault playlist you'll find a few figures there that might cover the kind of look you're after (like Gideon perhaps, or Fenn maybe). I hope this helps give you a few ideas anyway. :)

On 01/04/2018 at 4:08 AM, Lord Ashram said:

LOVE that AT-ST pose!!!

Thanks Ashram! It's such a fun figure to work with. :)

On 01/04/2018 at 8:57 AM, Jabby said:

@Sorastro what blue is that on the at-rt?

Hi Jabby! I believe I mixed roughly equal measure of Flat Blue (VMC) and Dark Prussian Blue (VMC) for that. :)

Edited by Sorastro
On 3/30/2018 at 7:43 AM, Sorastro said:

Hello fellow painters!

Now we have a painting sub forum I thought I'd start a fresh thread where I can share pictures of my progress with the Legion minis. Here's a link to the complete video tutorial playlist showing how I painted them.

Happy Painting!

@Sorastro , thank you so much for creating these video tutorials. I stumbled across your videos some time back and they have inspired me to paint up chucks of my Imperial Assault game as well as help me jump into Legion. I am sure I speak for many others that we all appreciate how you can take the daunting task of painting miniatures and break it down into manageable pieces. For me, at least, it has allowed me to enjoy (and improve) this part of the hobby.

Hey Sorastro, great to see a new thread for your excellent work in the painting sub-forum!

I have started to work on my Stormtroopers (using a combination of your techniques from your Legion video and IA videos). My three sons helped with the first set of base colors (the weapons and armor) so it was a fun afternoon for us on Saturday. (Even my six year old was able to help put a base coat on the weapons once I showed him how not to use too much paint and not to worry about mistakes as I could go back over them to fix, with most being on the gloves, which I had to go over anyway). I will get a picture of them up when they get further along.

Can we get this thread stickied? These videos are invaluable for painters of all levels!

Seconded!