Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Painting

On 02/04/2018 at 4:44 AM, Fraggle_Rock said:

@Sorastro , thank you so much for creating these video tutorials. I stumbled across your videos some time back and they have inspired me to paint up chucks of my Imperial Assault game as well as help me jump into Legion. I am sure I speak for many others that we all appreciate how you can take the daunting task of painting miniatures and break it down into manageable pieces. For me, at least, it has allowed me to enjoy (and improve) this part of the hobby.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate that feedback and am happy if my videos have helped in some way for you to enjoy and improve at the hobby :)

17 hours ago, Thevshi said:

Hey Sorastro, great to see a new thread for your excellent work in the painting sub-forum!

I have started to work on my Stormtroopers (using a combination of your techniques from your Legion video and IA videos). My three sons helped with the first set of base colors (the weapons and armor) so it was a fun afternoon for us on Saturday. (Even my six year old was able to help put a base coat on the weapons once I showed him how not to use too much paint and not to worry about mistakes as I could go back over them to fix, with most being on the gloves, which I had to go over anyway). I will get a picture of them up when they get further along.

Thanks Thevshi! It's wonderful to hear that you've got your boys involved with the hobby; what a fantastic way to spend time together! You have three lucky sons :)

Edited by Sorastro
Spelling error

That is one beautiful collection!

Your early SWIA painting videos got me into the hobby and I bet it's going to get a lot of people who are on the fence about painting into this game too. ;)

Keep up the great work.

Edited by Polda

@Sorastro do you use a wet pallet? I have watched you videos which are all awesome but never seen you use one.

19 hours ago, Polda said:

That is one beautiful collection!

Your early SWIA painting videos got me into the hobby and I bet it's going to get a lot of people who are on the fence about painting into this game too. ;)

Keep up the great work.

Thank you Polda! I really appreciate that :)

18 hours ago, Cornwolf said:

@Sorastro do you use a wet pallet? I have watched you videos which are all awesome but never seen you use one.

Hi Cornwolf!

Good question! I do sometimes use a wet palette when I'm experimenting with colours, or if I ever paint just for myself rather than for a tutorial (which is rare!) because I like how they encourage a free approach to mixing and playing with colours.

For my tutorials I generally prefer to use a traditional palette because it helps me keep things more organised and (hopefully) easier to follow; when I use a wet palette things do get pretty messy! The only series in which I am currently using a wet palette is the Kingdom Death Monster series because it's aimed at the slightly more advanced painter. :)

Wicked thanks for the reply and keep up the good work buddy. I hear a lot of painters using wet pallets and wasn't sure about it but you have summed it up lovely. It's helped a first time painter a lot. :)

Just want to say thank you! Picking up this game, my first war game, painting was very intimidating. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I really didn't want to hit the table with models that looked like crap.

I've watched your tutorials very frequently, and spent a lot of time trying to mimic what you do. I finished my first Stormtroopers ( Here if you're interested ) and they are entirely based on your methods. While they aren't perfect, I'm happy to play with them, and I fear that would have been a barrier for me entering the game if I hadn't had such a thorough guide.

Until I get more comfortable with the hobby (likely in several years haha) i'll likely be exclusively mimicking your videos. So don't slow down on those Imperial videos - I need them!

1 hour ago, Copes said:

Just want to say thank you! Picking up this game, my first war game, painting was very intimidating. I'm a bit of a perfectionist, so I really didn't want to hit the table with models that looked like crap.

I've watched your tutorials very frequently, and spent a lot of time trying to mimic what you do. I finished my first Stormtroopers ( Here if you're interested ) and they are entirely based on your methods. While they aren't perfect, I'm happy to play with them, and I fear that would have been a barrier for me entering the game if I hadn't had such a thorough guide.

Until I get more comfortable with the hobby (likely in several years haha) i'll likely be exclusively mimicking your videos. So don't slow down on those Imperial videos - I need them!

Paints look good buddy :)

This is the reason I support your work through Patreon. One person inspiring so many others, it's truly a good thing.

Thank you for your work and effort.

7 hours ago, Copes said:

Thanks Copes - your Stormies are looking great!

Jazz trumpeter Clark Terry pretty much nailed it when he spoke of the three steps to learning jazz improvisation: "Imitate, assimilate, innovate", and I find the same is true for most artistic endeavours. You may be imitating what I (or others) do for now - and for some people that's all they need; they're just happy to get their minis looking good for the table. But with the will and the practice, you'll assimilate the various processes and techniques and then begin innovating for yourself. :)

Sorastro,

Do you have any resources for painting non-white miniatures?

I mean humans that don't like like they're from Europe. I loved the skin tone you gave on Gideon Argus (I'm gonna try to make him a rebel commander) and the commander in the rebel video, but I'm trying to find something that can assist with the much wider range of skin tones that people of African (or even Asian, Sub-continent, or native American) descent have.

I want to do at least one squad without white dudes but I don't want them to all look the exact same shade.

7 minutes ago, Zrob314 said:

Sorastro,

Do you have any resources for painting non-white miniatures?

I mean humans that don't like like they're from Europe. I loved the skin tone you gave on Gideon Argus (I'm gonna try to make him a rebel commander) and the commander in the rebel video, but I'm trying to find something that can assist with the much wider range of skin tones that people of African (or even Asian, Sub-continent, or native American) descent have.

I want to do at least one squad without white dudes but I don't want them to all look the exact same shade.

Check the tutorial for the Rebel Troopers Sorastro has from imperial assault for a few ideas.

3 minutes ago, nungunz said:

Check the tutorial for the Rebel Troopers Sorastro has from imperial assault for a few ideas.

IA Rebel Troopers or L Rebel Troopers?

1 minute ago, Zrob314 said:

IA Rebel Troopers or L Rebel Troopers?

Hi Zrob! Yep.. I did include both dark and pale skin tones in the Legion Rebel Troopers video, and in the IA Rebel Trooper video I also created a mid-dark skin tone :)

@Sorastro I just wanted to say thank you for the inspiration. I have never painted before but I used your tutorials and I am pleased with the results so far. I hope to get better but I think mine are table top worthy. Thanks again for the time and effort it takes to make these videos.

The Legion Luke video brought me back to the hobby after a 12 year break. The core set has finally arrived, the weekend is almost here... Got some painting to do! Thanks for the inspiration! :)

Quick question about the patron for any members of it. It says per episode so does that mean if I pledge $1 for example and 3 episodes are released in one week I would pay $3? Most other things I pledge for it's monthly. Thanks

21 minutes ago, Cornwolf said:

Quick question about the patron for any members of it. It says per episode so does that mean if I pledge $1 for example and 3 episodes are released in one week I would pay $3? Most other things I pledge for it's monthly. Thanks

Hi Cornwolf!

Firstly I should point out that whilst most of my work is funded via Patreon, the Legion videos are NOT. I just want to make that clear in case anyone wonders why I don't post my Legion content over there :)

Regarding pledge structure - yes, it is set up on a per-episode basis because that way I can easily separate my crowd-funded videos from those that are commissioned. However, you can set a monthly limit as to what you want to offer, thereby essentially turning it into a fixed monthly amount.

I hope this makes sense!

S.

Lovely thanks buddy. So there are no PDF's etc for Legion stuff just now?

With out blowing smoke up your, you know what, it's great to have a creator who takes time to speak to fans or whatever we are classed as, its very rare. I have my own stuff but in a different field and have seem great results by engaging too.

1 hour ago, Cornwolf said:

Lovely thanks buddy. So there are no PDF's etc for Legion stuff just now?

With out blowing smoke up your, you know what, it's great to have a creator who takes time to speak to fans or whatever we are classed as, its very rare. I have my own stuff but in a different field and have seem great results by engaging too.

Thanks mate! My viewers are everything to me, and I simply like to treat them as I would wish to be treated :) Regarding PDFs - if or when I create any visual guides for Legion then I'll share them publicly here as a post and/or linked to a free PDF hosted on my website.

Do you have any thoughts about painting or customizing the barricades in the core set?

8 hours ago, Hawkstrike said:

Do you have any thoughts about painting or customizing the barricades in the core set?

Hi Hawkstrike! Yep, I've tried a couple of variations for my barricades and will be putting together a brief guide for them soon. :)

A general question for all but feel free to chip in Sorastro, for bases where is the best place to buy stuff for them so grass etc? I am in the UK which will make a difference :)

Thanks

33 minutes ago, Cornwolf said:

A general question for all but feel free to chip in Sorastro, for bases where is the best place to buy stuff for them so grass etc? I am in the UK which will make a difference :)

Thanks

Hey mate! I'm happy to chip in.. I often use Element Games for various hobby needs. For the Javis Fine Turf specifically that I happen to be using, I got mine here :)

Edited by Sorastro
Wrong link
1 hour ago, Sorastro said:

Hey mate! I'm happy to chip in.. I often use Element Games for various hobby needs. For the Javis Fine Turf specifically that I happen to be using, I got mine here :)

Thanks buddy, I will take a look :)

@ Sorastro

Is the Airspeeder likely to be any time soon? I am possibly starting mine this weekend and I love drawing a lot of inspiration from your brilliant vids then adding a few different things too.