Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Painting

ive bin wacthing your vids for some time realy well done and helpful i just picked up Star Wars Legion this week and will be trying to use what you show us to make my troops look good ?

On 5/22/2018 at 5:16 AM, KalEl814 said:

Painting checklist is now current through the T-47 Airspeeder , and will update it for Veers as soon as the video is available.

Awesome Kal! Thanks for this :)

On 5/22/2018 at 1:37 PM, T-blake said:

ive bin wacthing your vids for some time realy well done and helpful i just picked up Star Wars Legion this week and will be trying to use what you show us to make my troops look good ?

Thanks T-blake! Take your time and enjoy the process, and don't forget to shout if you'd like any help or feedback, or you just want to share some pics of your finished minis! :)

Inspired by Sorastros great tutorials on Weiss, Veers etc, I think that the Snow Trooper makes a great "Heavy Armour"trooper like Panzer Grenadiers in a different galaxy ....

armour.JPG

Wow @Sparty1701 , that’s quite the base you’ve put together. How did you make that?

@Bidbadandy Micro Art Studio Winter shale base with Nuln Oil / Earthshade mix on the shale and then Jarvis Scenics Field scatter on the parts where snow is meant to go. I'm sure its not tournament legal, but thats not why I'm in the game.

1 hour ago, Sparty1701 said:

@Bidbadandy Micro Art Studio Winter shale base with Nuln Oil / Earthshade mix on the shale and then Jarvis Scenics Field scatter on the parts where snow is meant to go. I'm sure its not tournament legal, but thats not why I'm in the game.

Yeah I’m not really a competitive player (although I’m thinking of signing up for a league to see if I can make that work). But this is actually a rule I don’t understand. Instead of disqualifying awesome bases just say all gameplay determinations will be done using minis of standard heights. It’s not that hard...

Anyway it’s a great looking base.

On 5/18/2018 at 11:33 AM, Sorastro said:

Thanks so much Ron! I really appreciate that. Veers should be landing any day now... :)

I guess something happened to the video...?

46 minutes ago, Galahax said:

I guess something happened to the video...?

Hey Galahax! I haven't heard anything yet, but with the release of the Solo movie I imagine LFL are pretty busy right now. I remember the same thing happening last year when The Last Jedi was released... Oh well. I'll soon get to work on the next video regardless :)

16 minutes ago, Sorastro said:

Hey Galahax! I haven't heard anything yet, but with the release of the Solo movie I imagine LFL are pretty busy right now. I remember the same thing happening last year when The Last Jedi was released... Oh well. I'll soon get to work on the next video regardless :)

Sorry boss, but you lost me on that there... LFL? Like Lucasfilm? Do you need approvals to launch your painting vids???

23 minutes ago, Galahax said:

Sorry boss, but you lost me on that there... LFL? Like Lucasfilm? Do you need approvals to launch your painting vids???

Ah sorry; yes that's right - just for the Legion videos as I'm producing them in a somewhat more "official" capacity for ANA :)

13 minutes ago, Sorastro said:

Ah sorry; yes that's right - just for the Legion videos as I'm producing them in a somewhat more "official" capacity for ANA :)

.....wow. I had no idea. Good ol' "red tape".

Cheers to you sir for all that you do for us!

Sorastro - your videos are great. As a first time painter I’ve found your tutorials great for getting a feel in painting my stormtroopers. Looking forward to your snow troopers videos. Thanks for producing them!

25 minutes ago, Galahax said:

.....wow. I had no idea. Good ol' "red tape".

Cheers to you sir for all that you do for us!

Ha - thanks buddy! :)

13 minutes ago, Sith Lord Revan said:

Sorastro - your videos are great. As a first time painter I’ve found your tutorials great for getting a feel in painting my stormtroopers. Looking forward to your snow troopers videos. Thanks for producing them!

Thanks a lot Lord Revan! There's a good chance I won't be covering the Snowtroopers as a video but if not I will be publishing a brief visual guide for them which I'll share here on the forum (and over on my website) :)

Cool - I’ll look out for it.

I have yet to start on my Snowtroopers, but just might look at your IA video for them Sorastro.

I have already started doing that for my Rebel Fleet Troopers :D (and while I am working on the Legion versions, I am also painting my IA versions as well, making them my first IA miniatures to be painted).

So I started following your videos to paint up my Imperial Assault miniatures and then graduated onto Kingdom Death and Legion.

With the release of Leia and the Fleet Troopers, I took the plunge and used what I'd learned from you to get painting without a guide:

https://imgur.com/gallery/XHn6GxN jFzBg3W.jpg

Thought I'd post to show you the difference you're making to my own painting and many others'.

Thanks for all your hard work Sorastro! You're an absolute legend.

Edited by Zepherite

I painted my AT-RT last night.

atrt-sans-rust.thumb.jpg.6aa4b158e3f1907522704ffaf78482f2.jpg

I was on the fence about whether to do the rust stages, but I quite like how it looks now that I may stick with it as is. Perhaps with a little application of typhus corrosion to oil a few of the engine parts up.

Super grateful for the videos. I doubt I'd have got this far without these step by step guides and have learned a lot. Not ready to follow Zepherite in the move to custom paint jobs yet, but maybe in the future :)

On 6/2/2018 at 4:47 PM, Zepherite said:

So I started following your videos to paint up my Imperial Assault miniatures and then graduated onto Kingdom Death and Legion.

With the release of Leia and the Fleet Troopers, I took the plunge and used what I'd learned from you to get painting without a guide:

Thought I'd post to show you the difference you're making to my own painting and many others'.

Stunning work Zeph! Thanks so much for sharing :)

On 6/2/2018 at 10:58 PM, DwainDibbly said:

I painted my AT-RT last night.

atrt-sans-rust.thumb.jpg.6aa4b158e3f1907522704ffaf78482f2.jpg

I was on the fence about whether to do the rust stages, but I quite like how it looks now that I may stick with it as is. Perhaps with a little application of typhus corrosion to oil a few of the engine parts up.

Super grateful for the videos. I doubt I'd have got this far without these step by step guides and have learned a lot. Not ready to follow Zepherite in the move to custom paint jobs yet, but maybe in the future :)

Awesome work Dwain! Thanks for the kind words :)

I was just curious, do you have an estimate of when you’ll have your fleet trooper and Leia videos up? Not rushing you at all, just trying to schedule when I should start getting the paint together :)

(I guess I’m also asking for those filthy Empire players that are waiting on your Veers/Snowtrooper guide as well :P )

2 hours ago, RaptorRitter13 said:

I was just curious, do you have an estimate of when you’ll have your fleet trooper and Leia videos up? Not rushing you at all, just trying to schedule when I should start getting the paint together :)

(I guess I’m also asking for those filthy Empire players that are waiting on your Veers/Snowtrooper guide as well :P )

FWIW Sorastro did a Rebel Trooper tutorial for Imperial Assault . IA's Rebel Troopers are Legion's Fleet Troopers. Would likely do in a pinch even though I assume he'll modify a bit for the Legion Fleet Trooper tutorial.

13 hours ago, RaptorRitter13 said:

Ha ha - well the Veers video is still awaiting approval, but it's a busy period for LFL what with the new movie etc..

The next video will be for Leia who I'll be painting this month. I've also got the Fleet Troopers and Snowtroopers primed and ready, and will most likely share a brief visual guide for them rather than a video (and I'm still not sure how far I'll vary my approach from the IA equivalents yet). In short - I'm hoping to be all caught up by the end of the month :)

On 6/2/2018 at 8:47 AM, Zepherite said:

Very impressive. How did you achieve the shine effect on the helmet visors?

52 minutes ago, Orkimedes said:

You can do this by applying Citadel's 'Ardcoat or equivalent products from other lines.

19 hours ago, Orkimedes said:

Testor's dullcoat to the model then gloss varnish to the appropriate places.

Same as sorastro does for the stormtrooper armour.

It's not painted on if that's what you mean haha.

Edited by Zepherite