Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Painting

5 hours ago, Copes said:

I've only dryfitted so far - thanks for the suggestion!

No problem! I actually also dry fitted the head, but the rest I glued together from the start :D

I found it helpful to not glue any of the pieces together. They fit snug enough.

Managed to finish up my Rebel Commandos this weekend. Followed the camo pattern you used for the Rebel Troopers. Also in the picture are Leia and Han. For Leia I totally followed your video, for Han I just applied things I have learned from a lot of different videos you have done. Again, I know none of these would look as good as they do if not for your videos!

IMAG0331-20181015-0845464.thumb.jpg.296804f2d8845acca663c8374a294f21.jpg

Edited by Thevshi
On 10/15/2018 at 4:48 PM, Thevshi said:

Managed to finish up my Rebel Commandos this weekend. Followed the camo pattern you used for the Rebel Troopers. Also in the picture are Leia and Han. For Leia I totally followed your video, for Han I just applied things I have learned from a lot of different videos you have done. Again, I know none of these would look as good as they do if not for your videos!

Thank you Thevshi! And very nice work! :)

Hey Sorastro - another question. Mostly because I can't find a good conversion chart.

Wanting to begin work on my two units of Snowtroopers, and as with all my stuff I want to follow your guide. Deck Tan I can't seem to find here. My local store isn't carrying Vallejo Model Colours, just the game colour. Is there a good Citadel alternative?

2 hours ago, Copes said:

Hey Sorastro - another question. Mostly because I can't find a good conversion chart.

Wanting to begin work on my two units of Snowtroopers, and as with all my stuff I want to follow your guide. Deck Tan I can't seem to find here. My local store isn't carrying Vallejo Model Colours, just the game colour. Is there a good Citadel alternative?

Hey Copes! Mixing roughly equal amounts of Celestra Grey with Screaming Skull will give a pretty close match to Deck Tan. :)

2 hours ago, Copes said:

Here's the best conversion chart I have found. I've been referring to it a lot as I try to follow Sorastro's guides with my collection of P3 paints.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/edit#gid=1

Sometimes you need to figure out a mix though, as it only deals in straight-from-the-pot comparisons.

I wonder if one could come up with an algorithm for "mixing" the RGB codes, or if actual paint mixing is too unpredictable.

Edited by aniron
3 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Hey Copes! Mixing roughly equal amounts of Celestra Grey with Screaming Skull will give a pretty close match to Deck Tan. :)

Hey thanks! As always, I appreciate your constant help.

3 hours ago, aniron said:

Here's the best conversion chart I have found. I've been referring to it a lot as I try to follow Sorastro's guides with my collection of P3 paints.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1xl-x9eW3bLw5eqDeNUG2JUwn2EZwn34TDKfNIg5uul4/edit#gid=1

Sometimes you need to figure out a mix though, as it only deals in straight-from-the-pot comparisons.

I wonder if one could come up with an algorithm for "mixing" the RGB codes, or if actual paint mixing is too unpredictable.

Great tool, thank you. I'm going to keep this one on hand!

On ‎10‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 6:54 AM, aniron said:

Mixing RGB is easy using digital colors, but mixing paint is an art form in itself... However there are color wheels available that help. Search for 'miniature paint color wheel' and a lot of good sites and images can be found.

1 hour ago, Bohemian73 said:

Mixing RGB is easy using digital colors, but mixing paint is an art form in itself... However there are color wheels available that help. Search for 'miniature paint color wheel' and a lot of good sites and images can be found.

How do I use a color wheel to figure out which P3 paints to mix in what ratio in order to better match e.g. a Citadel paint - or a mixture of Citadel paints for that matter?

I was thinking that mixing the RGB code might be a starting point, but perhaps it is too simple an approximation to be useful.

Since we are waiting on The Maestro’s next video I’ll occupy this space with some costume cheer.

Boba Fett

I guess this is supposed to be an Ewok ?

With nothing but respect for Sorastro, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

4 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

Since we are waiting on The Maestro’s next video I’ll occupy this space with some costume cheer.

Boba Fett

I guess this is supposed to be an Ewok ?

With nothing but respect for Sorastro, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

I think she spells Boba with double o.

Not many know that Jango secretly ordered another clone, who unlike her brother Boba received extensive genetic.. "enhancements".

Hi folks! Han Solo has landed; I hope you enjoy the video ?

Han Solo-6

?

Edited by Sorastro

The Solo video is up! (Edit - somehow I missed the post above, lol. I have deleted the duplicate link to the video)

As always my viewing goes something like this:

me: Holy cow. That’s amazing. Ugh I should have done it that way. Maybe I will buy a second model and try this. It looks perfect!

Sorastro: We are now ready to add the highlights.

me: *head explodes*

Edited by BigBadAndy

Great video as always Sorastro! (Even if I already painted my Han :D Always good to see new ideas that can be used for other figures!)

Edited by Thevshi
On 11/1/2018 at 10:16 AM, BigBadAndy said:

The Solo video is up! (Edit - somehow I missed the post above, lol. I have deleted the duplicate link to the video)

As always my viewing goes something like this:

me: Holy cow. That’s amazing. Ugh I should have done it that way. Maybe I will buy a second model and try this. It looks perfect!

Sorastro: We are now ready to add the highlights.

me: *head explodes*

Lol mate! ?

Hi folks!

Boba Fett has landed! I hope you enjoy the episode as much as I enjoyed creating it ?

44869285605_bb84650c89_b.jpg

45782616551_13264bee5b_b.jpg

45732364682_188d715169_b.jpg

Edited by Sorastro

….I was away...but am now back!...
...Sorastro….you painting will never lack!!...

Been following your Legion painting guides since you started them. I finally got around to painting one of my many unpainted Legion miniatures (sigh) and followed your T-47 video. I really need to practice thinning out my paints a bit more as your colour gradients just melt together so seamlessly. Anyhow this is the first miniature I've painted in a very, very long time … your video made it a much more enjoyable experience as I could focus on the act of painting versus endlessly mulling over which colours and paints to use. Though I will say that you make painting look deceptively easy! Thank you so much for putting these videos up for the community.

mZZ5yRJl.jpg

Edited by Digitalfiends
4 hours ago, Digitalfiends said:

Been following your Legion painting guides since you started them. I finally got around to painting one of my many unpainted Legion miniatures (sigh) and followed your T-47 video. I really need to practice thinning out my paints a bit more as your colour gradients just melt together so seamlessly. Anyhow this is the first miniature I've painted in a very, very long time … your video made it a much more enjoyable experience as I could focus on the act of painting versus endlessly mulling over which colours and paints to use. Though I will say that you make painting look deceptively easy! Thank you so much for put these videos up for the community.

Thank you sir for the kind words and for sharing your T-47; you (and your daughter!) have done a stunning job! ?

18 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Thank you sir for the kind words and for sharing your T-47; you (and your daughter!) have done a stunning job! ?

Thanks, appreciate the kind words as well - I hope to get better with practice. My daughter really wanted to work on her own models too, something she could practice on without assistance or colour input from dad...I try to give her freedom but draw the line at purple AT-STs! lol. She’s very much into fantasy figures, so I picked up some AoS Gryph-Hounds. She’s doing an awesome job so far...much better than when I got my first models (Blood Angels and a Rhino....way back in the 80s!)

I have a whole bunch of Descent models to paint too and noticed your guides for those as well (the shadow dragon is amazing). I wanted to support you, so bought your new Oracle album. It sounds fantastic ... going to have it playing in the background while my daughter and I paint. ;)

Thanks again for all the great tutorials and the time you put into this community.

Edited by Digitalfiends

@Sorastro I have watched a ton of your videos, including for Legion, Imperial Assault and even some of the BloodRage monsters (which make me want to go out and get that game just for the figures). So while I haven’t watched everything you’ve ever done, I feel like I have a pretty good frame of reference - and I have to say I think Boba Fett for Legion is the best work you’ve ever done. I don’t generally gush all over the internet, but everything from the subtle gradations and highlights and the OSL from the jet pack to the scorched base just works perfectly. It’s really an amazing piece of work.

On 11/10/2018 at 4:20 AM, Digitalfiends said:

Thanks, appreciate the kind words as well - I hope to get better with practice. My daughter really wanted to work on her own models too, something she could practice on without assistance or colour input from dad...I try to give her freedom but draw the line at purple AT-STs! lol. She’s very much into fantasy figures, so I picked up some AoS Gryph-Hounds. She’s doing an awesome job so far...much better than when I got my first models (Blood Angels and a Rhino....way back in the 80s!)

I have a whole bunch of Descent models to paint too and noticed your guides for those as well (the shadow dragon is amazing). I wanted to support you, so bought your new Oracle album. It sounds fantastic ... going to have it playing in the background while my daughter and I paint. ;)

Thanks again for all the great tutorials and the time you put into this community.

Thanks a lot! I'm happy to hear you're enjoying the music too ?

On 11/10/2018 at 4:43 PM, KalEl814 said:

Nice work Kal - thank you!

23 hours ago, BigBadAndy said:

@Sorastro I have watched a ton of your videos, including for Legion, Imperial Assault and even some of the BloodRage monsters (which make me want to go out and get that game just for the figures). So while I haven’t watched everything you’ve ever done, I feel like I have a pretty good frame of reference - and I have to say I think Boba Fett for Legion is the best work you’ve ever done. I don’t generally gush all over the internet, but everything from the subtle gradations and highlights and the OSL from the jet pack to the scorched base just works perfectly. It’s really an amazing piece of work.

Thanks so much Andy! That really means a lot to me. Boba Fett really is a painter's dream to work on; he has such a killer colour scheme, and thanks to the incredible pose with the jet-pack flames the OSL just had to be done!

The video was a pretty epic episode to work on (and took the best part of two weeks, including the extra 20 minutes of new music I wrote for it) but I loved every minute of it. And besides my own inner drive, being blessed with such a supportive and responsive audience also really helps motivate me to push the productions as far as I can. Thanks again :)