Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Painting

13 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Absolutely! I feel that anything that helps new painters get started with this wonderful hobby can only be a good thing. :)

And they come in the good dropper bottles too. I might be tempted to grab the sets myself. Have you had a chance to try them Sorastro?

18 hours ago, Zephyr444 said:

And they come in the good dropper bottles too. I might be tempted to grab the sets myself. Have you had a chance to try them Sorastro?

Hi Zeph! Nope, I haven't had a chance to try them out yet. :)

Yeah I probably should push the contrast more. My death troopers were highlighted just with a gray airbrush from above. I think the gloss also takes away some of the effect. I’ve never been great with highlights.

On 5/13/2019 at 6:16 PM, Spideyfan629 said:

Yeah I probably should push the contrast more. My death troopers were highlighted just with a gray airbrush from above. I think the gloss also takes away some of the effect. I’ve never been great with highlights.

Reasonable people may differ, but I don’t think you really want to put a lot of highlight on glossy surfaces. The natural light in most circumstances will take care of this. You might want to consider some very broad light/dark for upper and lower surfaces.

You want a lot of higkighting when you want to emulate a glossy surface without using an actual gloss coat.

Sorastro, any chance we could get a look at your brown rebel troopers? I just got half of mine from the core set painted up in your beautiful urban camo, but I wanted to know if you could even just release them pdf style on your website.

Ps you’re a huge inspiration and why I got into legion and it’s whole painting side

Do you ever talk about brushes? I can't seem to get mine to behave like most videos I watch. Even the slightest pressure and they splay out. I've tried just some generic sables I've bought, as well as the army painter ones, and no matter what I do to get to the point to put paint on the model when i touch it's a starfish looking thing or bent sideways. When you do it on video, it's this solid point no movement and the paint magically comes off ;)

Is that just learned technique?

32 minutes ago, CrankyOldNerd said:

Do you ever talk about brushes? I can't seem to get mine to behave like most videos I watch. Even the slightest pressure and they splay out. I've tried just some generic sables I've bought, as well as the army painter ones, and no matter what I do to get to the point to put paint on the model when i touch it's a starfish looking thing or bent sideways. When you do it on video, it's this solid point no movement and the paint magically comes off ;)

That would be Kolinsky sable (i.e. from the naturally pointed tail) and proper brush care.

23 hours ago, aniron said:

That would be Kolinsky sable (i.e. from the naturally pointed tail) and proper brush care.

I appreciate that response, but it doesn't tell someone who isn't an expert anything. I've bought the brush soap, follow the instructions on what to do with it. Far as I know the brushes I bought *claimed* to be that, but they don't act like that (the non army painter ones)

2 minutes ago, CrankyOldNerd said:

I appreciate that response, but it doesn't tell someone who isn't an expert anything. I've bought the brush soap, follow the instructions on what to do with it. Far as I know the brushes I bought *claimed* to be that, but they don't act like that (the non army painter ones)

I use W&N series 7, I believe Sorastro uses Rosemary & Co. Series 33 ? Raphaël is another popular brand.

Of course, there is still the possibility of getting a damaged or otherwise defective brush even with the tried and tested brands, and none of this matters if the brush is caked with paint or have had all the oils stripped from it by heavy soap. And, eventually they wear out.

Raphael 8404

W&N series 7, a lot of people like these however I personally don't as they have a firmer guide hair in the middle which pokes out just beyond the tip. This is what makes it so popular as it returns to its base middle very well, however it also causes me problems as the tip dries out very quickly. Note that the miniature version is for miniature paintings not minis as we know them, they are stubbier again some prefer this.

rosemary series 33 and 22

Artis Opus are new to the game and do some fantastic brushes IMO

Da Vinci maestro

One of my personal favourites are Escoda Reserva. Just to say I've experience of all the above and now use Rosemary and Escoda primarily with a set of Artis Opus I occasionally turn to. The rosemary I use for the non Kolinsky brushes as I find that their Kolisnky tips bend after use , it's easy to fix, but still.

You can't go wrong with this set to be honest

https://www.rosemaryandco.com/gift-sets/workbench-warrior-set?filter_name=Miniature set

Although the 10/0 is over kill , even the 2/0 if you know what your are doing.

Edit I've got a Redgrass size 2 that I use a lot for the washes and for larger area. And occasionally I use a Citadel large base brush for large surface area jobs like tanks, simply because Sable ends up too much paint will come off the brush when painting so tougher hairs are needed , I tend to use Rosemary mongoose for dry brushing

Edited by syrath
On 6/10/2019 at 11:51 PM, graywing1111 said:

Sorastro, any chance we could get a look at your brown rebel troopers? I just got half of mine from the core set painted up in your beautiful urban camo, but I wanted to know if you could even just release them pdf style on your website.

Ps you’re a huge inspiration and why I got into legion and it’s whole painting side

Hi graywing1111! Thanks for the kind words and so sorry for the late reply. Regarding the brown rebel troopers - I'm afraid it was some time ago when I painted them and I can't remember the specific colours I used! I think its was mostly Citadel browns, and I do remember using Vallejo's Burnt Red for the helmet rim, but that's about it; sorry!

On 7/15/2019 at 2:27 PM, CrankyOldNerd said:

Hi! I think that probably has quite a bit to do with the brush, and maybe just a little to do with how the brush is used. Whilst there are many brushes I've yet to try, for a while now my personal favourite has been the Rosemary and Co Series 8 (Size 2 for just about everything!). I like them because they feel quite slender which suits my painting style, they hold their point pretty well, and have a nice bit of "snap" to them. I also like R&Co because they're comparatively cheap, so I tend to order them in batches, so when I kill one due to misuse (I'm not especially kind to my brushes if I'm honest!) it just gets relegated to washing and mixing duties, and I reach for a new one. :)

On a side note, I know it's been a while since my last Legion video, but for anyone who might be interested, I have completed the next episode which covers the X-34 Landspeeder (to be released as soon as it gets approved) and I will also soon be releasing a new terrain video in preparation for the upcoming Clone Wars content (about which I'm very excited!)...

Glad to hear more Legion content is coming Sorastro. My landspeeder has been burning a hole in my shelf since I bought it. Question though: where are Jun Erso and the rebel pathfinder on your to-do list?

On 7/23/2019 at 11:52 AM, Zephyr444 said:

Glad to hear more Legion content is coming Sorastro. My landspeeder has been burning a hole in my shelf since I bought it. Question though: where are Jun Erso and the rebel pathfinder on your to-do list?

Hi Zephyr! I'm not scheduled to cover Jyn or the Pathfinders as videos, but I do have Jyn on my shelf waiting to be painted so I'll likely cover her as a PDF at some point. :)

Hi Sorastro - i'm painting the Legion Sabine using your IA guide, but do you have any tips on achieving a good "dark sabre" effect? Its not really the same as the approach which can be used on Luke / Vaders sabres and the only thing i can think of is going for a sort of sparky effect similar to some people have used when painting half cloaked TIE Phantoms in X-wing.

I painted my darksabre black, lined the three edges with pure white, added random white speck to the front of the blade, and glossed the whole thing.

18 hours ago, IAmRhyn said:

I painted my darksabre black, lined the three edges with pure white, added random white speck to the front of the blade, and glossed the whole thing.

Pics?

Hey Sorastro, I'm painting the Downed AT-ST right now and I was wondering, would you recommend using the Vallejo basing paste for the earth and dirt sections of the model, or straight paint?

18 hours ago, Zephyr444 said:

Hey Sorastro, I'm painting the Downed AT-ST right now and I was wondering, would you recommend using the Vallejo basing paste for the earth and dirt sections of the model, or straight paint?

I’m sure you could do either. Adding the basing paste let’s you make the surface to your own style, but you risk covering up the ATST parts that are scattered throughout. I just used paint, wash and drybrushing on mine.

kSpupXI.jpg

4 hours ago, BigBadAndy said:

I’m sure you could do either. Adding the basing paste let’s you make the surface to your own style, but you risk covering up the ATST parts that are scattered throughout. I just used paint, wash and drybrushing on mine.

kSpupXI.jpg

That is a work of art Andy. Can I ask what paints/washes you used? I use Citadel mostly

3 hours ago, Zephyr444 said:

That is a work of art Andy. Can I ask what paints/washes you used? I use Citadel mostly

Wow thanks man!

Like a lot of people, I’m fond of citadel’s paints but once I started using Vallejo’s dropper bottles I just can’t go back. I use largely a mix of Vallejo model color and game color paints. I started with a simple prime in gray and zenithal in white - just because the piece is so big and I felt it needed at least a couple of shades to keep it from looking too uniform. For this, I primarily used sky gray, gray/green (approximate to mechanics standard gray) German gray and black. I mixed them to taste but gray is actually pretty easy to work with so that was no big deal. I actually diluted and did the walker with my airbrush. The rocks are brush painted in a couple gray mixes and I believe the dirt is chocolate brown. I used the zenithal as a guide for applying the different grays. I did use nuln oil on the ATST and Aggrax earthshade on the dirt. Then I drybrushed Khaki on the dirt and the rocks and a little sky gray on the rocks too.

i appreciate the compliment but the whole thing was pretty simple. It’s just a lot of volume and some attention to detail. I’m sure people with more talent could do a lot more but considering it’s terrain of a wreckage, it should be reasonably forgiving all around. Keep it dirty and you probably can’t go wrong.

Edited by BigBadAndy

On the subject of Rosemary and Co they also do a 15/0 for a couple of quid. Its pretty niche but its nice to have for eyes etc.

On 8/14/2019 at 6:21 PM, Zephyr444 said:

Hey Zeph! Sorry for the late reply, but I think Andy has this covered! (As the base is already textured I wouldn't particularly feel the need to apply the basing paste.) :)

Hi folks!

The X-34 Landspeeder video is now live; I hope you enjoy it! 😀

48717812646_9626e6ec1f_b.jpg

48717983587_209e5530dd_b.jpg

Hello again!

I have another guide for you - this time for the B1 BattleDroids from the Clone Wars Core Set. I hope you enjoy the video! 😀

48765750858_13f1e73d9c_b.jpg

48766283402_102c19b734_b.jpg

48766081136_5167e1c3b4_b.jpg

23 hours ago, Sorastro said:

Hello again!

I have another guide for you - this time for the B1 BattleDroids from the Clone Wars Core Set. I hope you enjoy the video! 😀

48765750858_13f1e73d9c_b.jpg

48766283402_102c19b734_b.jpg

48766081136_5167e1c3b4_b.jpg

Awesome! I especially love your security droids. I had been planning on doing mine like that and I'm glad someone else appreciates them!

I can't tell from the video, but does the droid body look fine if you don't add the backpack? I want to nail the security droid look, but not if it reveals an unfinished back on the droid.