Sorastro's Painting

By Sorastro, in Painting

On 10/8/2019 at 10:11 AM, Sorastro said:

Hi! I've published a quick Shoretrooper guide which you can grab here . I hope you find it useful! 😀

48865287528_dd77b08375_b.jpg

Looks Amazing as usual!

Questoin, will you be painting the rebel pathfinders? Or at least showing how to paint Pao's and Bistan's heads?

New to the game but have been painting minis for 10 years now. Have used your amazing tutorials on youtube to paint up some Stormtroopers, Scout bikers and now Boba Fett in the last couple of weeks, Working my way through your Darth Vader video at the moment. Thought id share my minis.

t9jh2ec.jpg qjb0FsD.jpg bQCmpEX.jpg sN4tGnD.jpg 4wvc16v.jpg

On 11/24/2019 at 6:49 PM, Jack Legion said:

Looks Amazing as usual!

Questoin, will you be painting the rebel pathfinders? Or at least showing how to paint Pao's and Bistan's heads?

Thank you Jack! I'd love to paint the Pathfinders; I've just got a bit of a backlog to work through so I'm not sure when I'll get to them is all!

On 11/27/2019 at 8:35 AM, Hayd0s said:

New to the game but have been painting minis for 10 years now. Have used your amazing tutorials on youtube to paint up some Stormtroopers, Scout bikers and now Boba Fett in the last couple of weeks, Working my way through your Darth Vader video at the moment. Thought id share my minis.

Absolutely superb mate! I love the texture and vibrancy of your Boba in particular. Thanks so much for sharing :)

Hey Sorastro, I had a question, when the AAT comes out are you going to paint it? And if so, will you paint it the Trade Federation tan and brown or the Separatist blue and grey? I’m personally hoping for the latter as I’m painting mine like that. Also, when you paint the droid in the turret are you painting him wi5 the hello markings rom the greenish markings from the clone wars? Again, I’d definitely appreciate the latter. Even if you do my favored scheme in a pdf Id take that!

So question to the whole forum: with the impending relese of the crashed escape pod terrain set, does anyone have a good metalic color to be painting C-3P0 with?

8 hours ago, Zephyr444 said:

So question to the whole forum: with the impending relese of the crashed escape pod terrain set, does anyone have a good metalic color to be painting C-3P0 with?

If you're really going for the shiny gold metallic look you could try Vallejo's Liquid Gold line of paints; the two colours on the right look like a good match:

Edited by Digitalfiends
14 hours ago, Zephyr444 said:

What look are you going for though? Straight out of the oil bath/ceremony fresh or just reassembled esb grimy?

Edited by Ralgon

Wow your battledroids are amazing. Maybe I should have invested in contrast paints instead of the traditional shade + drybrush.

I'm gonna try that bright metalic colour + white for scratches. That looks sick and not very time consuming.

I really like your videos, I Always learn a new way to paint or get some tips. I still envy your skill. My downed at-st wouldn't have looked half as good without the things I learned from your airspeeder and at-st videos

Edited by jocke01
7 hours ago, Ralgon said:

What look are you going for though? Straight out of the oil bath/ceremony fresh or just reassembled esb grimy?

I figured a high-gloss paint would be a good place to start. You can weather a model, you can't in-weather it

9 hours ago, Ralgon said:

Im thinking of possibly trying these pigments for c3p0. Been meaning to buy some of them for Gundam. They are being used to make some pretty nice paint jobs. The coolest ones are the color shift, but they have a nice gold. You prime with Vallejo gloss black and then brush on the powder with a silicone brush.

https://www.facebook.com/ArmoredKomodoNA/

The sell them at a few retailers in the us like usagundamstore.com

60899428_610552092688925_243906124678430

9 hours ago, Zephyr444 said:

I figured a high-gloss paint would be a good place to start. You can weather a model, you can't in-weather it

True, but even then the look your going for wit a metallic should affect your primer colour (white for your said "high gloss clean bright" or black for a darker gold).......

I sense @Sorastro dropping a new vid soon.

16 minutes ago, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

I sense @Sorastro dropping a new vid soon.

Ha ha - I think there's an informant amongst us...

But yes; I hope you all enjoy my take on the awesome General Greivous :

49324423976_298c8151b2_b.jpg

49323940618_6f5f8e5dd0_b.jpg

49324640317_8264d7af4d_b.jpg

On 1/3/2020 at 2:38 PM, Sorastro said:

Ha ha - I think there's an informant amongst us...

But yes; I hope you all enjoy my take on the awesome General Greivous :

49324423976_298c8151b2_b.jpg

49323940618_6f5f8e5dd0_b.jpg

49324640317_8264d7af4d_b.jpg

I’m getting some Battlefront 2 vibes from the third one...

453f245957f0d43d-600x338.jpg

They all look amazing!

On 1/8/2020 at 7:34 AM, The Jabbawookie said:

I’m getting some Battlefront 2 vibes from the third one...

453f245957f0d43d-600x338.jpg

They all look amazing!

Thank you! I do actually mention that in the video, as I love the look of the Legendary Grievous skin in SW BF 2 :D

r1vtd1lsps941.jpg

I’m just leaving this here.

Hello, I’m not really new to painting, but I’ve never used an airbrush before. I really love how using it makes a huge difference, as we can see it clearly in your videas. Could you recommend me an airbrush kit ? Thanks mate !

On 1/10/2020 at 12:03 PM, Imperial Advisor Arem Heshvaun said:

r1vtd1lsps941.jpg

I’m just leaving this here.

...heshvaun; please pick up your room; you can not let your toys lying around...

On 1/17/2020 at 9:57 AM, Katsutoshi said:

Hello, I’m not really new to painting, but I’ve never used an airbrush before. I really love how using it makes a huge difference, as we can see it clearly in your videas. Could you recommend me an airbrush kit ? Thanks mate !

Hi @Katsutoshi welcome aboard!

@Sorastro has an excellent YouTube series and if you have questions you can also post on his latest vid. He’s very good with replies. Please share your own work as well.

So does anyone know how to paint a Tauntaun? I'm working my way through my backlog and my tauntaun riders are coming up on my docket

I painted mine like the Kenner toys from the 80s. Light gray, with white bellies and brown horns. Bit of nostalgia.

On 2/22/2020 at 9:25 PM, Gullwind said:

I painted mine like the Kenner toys from the 80s. Light gray, with white bellies and brown horns. Bit of nostalgia.

Reference pics please? And any wet blending between the belly and back?

6 hours ago, Zephyr444 said:

Reference pics please? And any wet blending between the belly and back?

Just google "Kenner Tauntaun" and you'll find plenty. You could blend the border a bit to make it look more realistic.

Sorry, about no pics, but I don't think I have an active account with any image-hosting service right now.

Here's a link to a pic of Han riding one.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F821555156997478657%2F&psig=AOvVaw1-rEmlXoamyVcxkpV1UZOE&ust=1582683673545000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCIDq86LS6-cCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAG

Edited by Gullwind

Is it better to paint the minis before or after you assemble them?